vel

MUST READ: In Atlanta, Dan Quinn Is Ready to Show Off the Falcons’ Coaching Overhaul

69 posts in this topic

What an unmitigated disaster this season was really from the very start is amazing.  I had a bad feeling after that Jets game when they blew our first unit OL up......unfortunately it proved more correct than I’d ever imagine.  I just can’t help but blv that some on this staff or in the bldg were unable to recognize any signs of the impending disaster.  If so, they sure hid it well and made no adjustments as a result.  Last year was crazy but this year surpassed even that!!!  I think that would be the biggest hurdle as owner for me......”how do you ever trust this guy again w evaluation and preparation of your team??”

I certainly bought into the hype of articles like that one. Not even in the worst case scenario did anyone think we would sink down as bad as we have. 

I just don’t see how Quinn can survive this at all. 

Boise Falcon Fan likes this

I don't know what to make of Quinn.  I mean, he puts together the game plans against New Orleans and the Panthers, and then also the one for the first 8 games and against the Bucs.

The oddball staffing decisions, which I'm still inclined to blame on someone upstream, but still -- you HAVE TO make noise about that.  Dan Reeves left when Blank said "you're done at the end of the season."  Granted, Reeves had a long career behind him and this is Quinn's first HC job, but you have to have enough gumption about you to put your foot down and say "either I'm running the team or you are, but I can't run it with you in the way."  And be willing to walk away.

If I'm wrong and Blank has nothing to do with it, then the best I can figure is Quinn is a capable DC but cannot manage an organization.  He isn't the first and won't be the last.  But I have a hard time believing someone so good at Xs and Os, someone who saw in Kyle Shanahan what you all could not, is this bad at the day-to-day running of a football team, and this slow to learn from his mistakes and his successes.  It doesn't make any sense at all.

Example:  Harry Douglas was talking about how all the explosive plays we gave up on Sunday we were in Cover 2.  Huh?  When have we ever run a lot of Cover 2?  I know we run some -- everybody runs some.  But HD was saying we were in Tampa 2 and the MLB wasn't getting deep enough. Why would we do that?  And isn't the thing that made things work the previous 2 weeks improved communication and knowledge of responsibilities?

It's like he wants to get fired, or else someone is meddling, but I can't figure it out.  It honestly makes no sense.  When you find something that works, why in the world would you ever change it until it no longer works?

I definitely have never bought into the Quinn Kool Aid, but there is absolutely no way I thought we would stink up the joint like we have.  I've never been a huge fan of him and his rah, rah, stuff, but I legitimately thought this team was good.  Major disappointment this season.

Schwarzwald and roguebeaver like this

19 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I don't know what to make of Quinn.  I mean, he puts together the game plans against New Orleans and the Panthers, and then also the one for the first 8 games and against the Bucs.

The oddball staffing decisions, which I'm still inclined to blame on someone upstream, but still -- you HAVE TO make noise about that.  Dan Reeves left when Blank said "you're done at the end of the season."  Granted, Reeves had a long career behind him and this is Quinn's first HC job, but you have to have enough gumption about you to put your foot down and say "either I'm running the team or you are, but I can't run it with you in the way."  And be willing to walk away.

If I'm wrong and Blank has nothing to do with it, then the best I can figure is Quinn is a capable DC but cannot manage an organization.  He isn't the first and won't be the last.  But I have a hard time believing someone so good at Xs and Os, someone who saw in Kyle Shanahan what you all could not, is this bad at the day-to-day running of a football team, and this slow to learn from his mistakes and his successes.  It doesn't make any sense at all.

Example:  Harry Douglas was talking about how all the explosive plays we gave up on Sunday we were in Cover 2.  Huh?  When have we ever run a lot of Cover 2?  I know we run some -- everybody runs some.  But HD was saying we were in Tampa 2 and the MLB wasn't getting deep enough. Why would we do that?  And isn't the thing that made things work the previous 2 weeks improved communication and knowledge of responsibilities?

It's like he wants to get fired, or else someone is meddling, but I can't figure it out.  It honestly makes no sense.  When you find something that works, why in the world would you ever change it until it no longer works?

Morris is running 3rd downs now, and he was running lots of Cover 2 (disguised) in the Saints and Panthers games. The Bucs caught on and exploited it, and somehow, this team failed to adapt. I was saying it from the get-go, after the 2nd seams concept. It works when teams aren't used to you disguising looks as often or using much Cover 2, but we got incredibly predictable and didn't counter-adapt at all.

Also helps that Brees and Allen can't push the ball downfield as far/fast.

Schwarzwald and Halcon-1 like this

On 7/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, Ergo Proxy said:

All that’s left is for them to give it all they’ve got. Proof will be on Sundays; usually.

Too much evidence against it being a quick 1 year fix at minimum...any way DQ survives this? Win out? Starting on Thursday? :ninja:

4 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Good post. I think that's exactly it. DQ isn't done in the NFL, he'll have other jobs and I think he'll do quite okay, but he's done as a head coach, IMO. There's so much more to being a HC than just being a schemer. You've gotta know when to cut ties with personnel, how to manage roster turnover, how to handle the media, how to set an example and command the respect of your team, how to MOTIVATE grown men, some of which are superstars and all of which are paid more than you.

It's difficult to be a head coach. You might know every bit about football there is, but if you can't manage an organization (a very difficult thing to do) then you won't be successful past the 5 year shelf life.

5 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Morris is running 3rd downs now, and he was running lots of Cover 2 (disguised) in the Saints and Panthers games. The Bucs caught on and exploited it, and somehow, this team failed to adapt. I was saying it from the get-go, after the 2nd seams concept. It works when teams aren't used to you disguising looks as often or using much Cover 2, but we got incredibly predictable and didn't counter-adapt at all.

I had a bad feeling about the Bucs as a match up against us. Todd Bowles has Matt Ryan's and Dirk Koetter's number. Jameis has always played well against us and Bruce Arians was quick with adjustments. 

We'll see how well this team does in the rematch against the saints and panthers. 

On 11/26/2019 at 11:19 AM, vel said:

Boy oh boy were we all wrong. So very wrong. This team is a clusterf*ck. I didn't think we'd be 1-7 at any point during this season. I don't think anybody, even the biggest skeptics, foresaw that kind of start. 

Nobody saw this collapse coming. If they claim they did they are lying.  

As Cappy said above, I am as confused about this year as I’ve ever been. I knew many seasons when were were going to suck or be average, but this season makes no sense to me. WTF

I don’t agree with some claiming this is largely a personnel issue,  the roster, while imperfect, has more talent that most NFL teams. You don’t blow out the Saints in their backyard if you don’t have talent.

It’s got to do with coaching IMO, and watching DQ flame out as a HC and DC simply makes no sense to me. I Never saw this coming.

vel, Schwarzwald, Halcon-1 and 1 other like this

23 hours ago, gazoo said:

Nobody saw this collapse coming. If they claim they did they are lying.  

As Cappy said above, I am as confused about this year as I’ve ever been. I knew many seasons when were were going to suck or be average, but this season makes no sense to me. WTF

I don’t agree with some claiming this is largely a personnel issue,  the roster, while imperfect, has more talent that most NFL teams. You don’t blow out the Saints in their backyard if you don’t have talent.

It’s got to do with coaching IMO, and watching DQ flame out as a HC and DC simply makes no sense to me. I Never saw this coming.

“C’mon man. I have it on good hindsight authority we were doomed to start 1-7.” ~ Someone; probably.

gazoo likes this

I really do like Quinn he’s a **** of a coach. And I hope he makes it. I just think he has probably ran himself out of town. If Quinn stayed a year I’d be ok with that, but Dirk gotta go. Matt is gonna be 35. He will benefit from an offense that runs the ball with good balance. That’s when he plays his best. But I think Blank cans both TD and DQ. I’d that happens I’ll be on the KUBIAK TRAIN

On 11/26/2019 at 4:26 PM, Francis York Morgan said:

We ran tons of Cover 2 against Seattle, NO & Panthers.  It worked great...and even against the Bucs, it produced 2 early turnovers that should have put us ahead comfortably in that game.  Offense let us down

Francis York Morgan likes this

On 11/26/2019 at 4:09 PM, JDaveG said:

Quinn wasn't the only one who saw what Kyle could do.  I remember Kyle's Cleveland offense coming into Atlanta and running up and down the field on Atlanta...