vel

MUST READ: In Atlanta, Dan Quinn Is Ready to Show Off the Falcons’ Coaching Overhaul

69 posts in this topic

The key part was these coaches supporting Quinn rather than Quinn baby sitting the OC and DC. Kudos to DQ for getting in previous HC on his staff. Most HC would probably feel insecure to hire former HC who could take their job.

May be will see some Gadget plays dialed up by Mularkey with Sanu. Mularkey didn’t earn the name inspector Gadget for nothing with steelers. 

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

The key part was these coaches supporting Quinn rather than Quinn baby sitting the OC and DC. Kudos to DQ for getting in previous HC on his staff. Most HC would probably feel insecure to hire former HC who could take their job.

May be will see some Gadget plays dialed up by Mularkey with Sanu. Mularkey didn’t earn the name inspector Gadget for nothing with steelers. 

Exactly. He's got legit, HC capable coaches on his staff everywhere. 400 years of experience is ridiculous. And like you said, Mularkey is one of the more creative OCs in the league. I'm excited to see what he and Koetter can come up with. 

Great read, know this is about Quinn and the coaches, but I think your observation about Quinn being  willing to surround himself with good people and being willing to change the way he goes about things also applies to TD.

400 years of coaching experience, lots of physical talent throughout the roster, a veteran QB in his prime, a HOF WR in his prime, this could be  very good year to be a Falcons fan.

30 minutes ago, vel said:

Exactly. He's got legit, HC capable coaches on his staff everywhere. 400 years of experience is ridiculous. And like you said, Mularkey is one of the more creative OCs in the league. I'm excited to see what he and Koetter can come up with. 

Just don't ask Mularky to call a screen pass

Cole World and Schwarzwald like this

27 minutes ago, vel said:

That's saying something, because that's not the impression I got when he was OC in Atlanta. Granted, the coordinator is an extension of the head coach, so I believe that's more so the influence of Smitty and his conservative style. DQ is much more aggressive and I think he'll let MM and DK push the envelope and do whatever it takes to win, and I don't think they'll hold back.

They know the weapons they have. They know Ryan and how good he was and has become since they were last in Atlanta. It'll be interesting to see what they dial up on Sundays with a HC that (no offense to Smitty) won't force a conservative game plan on them.

Just now, No.11 said:

That's saying something, because that's not the impression I got when he was OC in Atlanta. Granted, the coordinator is an extension of the head coach, so I believe that's more so the influence of Smitty and his conservative style. DQ is much more aggressive and I think he'll let MM and DK push the envelope and do whatever it takes to win, and I don't think they'll hold back.

They know the weapons they have. They know Ryan and how good he was and has become since they were last in Atlanta. It'll be interesting to see what they dial up on Sundays with a HC that (no offense to Smitty) won't force a conservative game plan on them.

I think the bolded part is the key. DQ is gonna let them push the envelope. Mularkey's passing attack wasn't the most creative in Atlanta, but his run game was consistently near the top of the league. 

For us to get Koetter and Mularkey just blows my mind.. added to the best draft in the History of this team. The stars are lining up for the Falcons... As I've said many times,, the very least we will be in the top 4, but I don't know how we could  miss not makeing it to the SB with the most stacked NFL team I've ever seen in the 50 years I've been a Falcon Fan.

Great article! Thanks for posting!

The four key words that should give all of us great comfort are, "Quinn is no fool." He also has little to no ego. Literally every thought he's had since firing most of the big dogs on his staff at the end of last season has been how to get this team everything it needs to win a Super Bowl.

His coordinator replacements are unquestionable improvements over all those who left. He's gotten a group who will work together without jealousy or personality clashes. The players on this roster are talented and willing to work hard for each other.

I sense a quiet confidence coming from the locker room in the amount of talent, mixed in with a determination to show the league that 7-9  record last season is not nearly an accurate indicator of where this team is at and what its capabilities are for this year.

All things considered, I honestly feel like Quinn has got this team back on track and This could really be THE YEAR.

39 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Great article! Thanks for posting!

The four key words that should give all of us great comfort are, "Quinn is no fool." He also has little to no ego. Literally every thought he's had since firing most of the big dogs on his staff at the end of last season has been how to get this team everything it needs to win a Super Bowl.

His coordinator replacements are unquestionable improvements over all those who left. He's gotten a group who will work together without jealousy or personality clashes. The players on this roster are talented and willing to work hard for each other.

I sense a quiet confidence coming from the locker room in the amount of talent, mixed in with a determination to show the league that 7-9  record last season is not nearly an accurate indicator of where this team is at and what its capabilities are for this year.

All things considered, I honestly feel like Quinn has got this team back on track and This could really be THE YEAR.

This off season reminds me of the 2012 off season. Get the number 1 seed and win it all. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

This NFL experience on offense, Keotter, Mularkey, Knapp, Morgan and Morris, combined with our star players familiarity with them, along with 5 preseason games to work kinks out, is why I think it won’t take long to get the offense firing on all cylinders and not shooting itself in the foot with penalties and mistakes. 

There will be a little bit of growing pain early on, but I don’t think enough to be the cause of us losing games early in season. 

Im so freaking geeked up about this new OL as it relates to its impact on Ryan’s accuracy, our overall lethality, our ability to play smash mouth and push defenses around when we need to, and our star packed roster on offense.....man oh man is this exciting.

Tim Mazetti, papachaz, vel and 4 others like this

2 hours ago, vel said:

Man, I always love the inside info we get on the Falcons. This article by MMQBSI, as usual, paints a very clear picture on how DQ feels about the coaching staff going forward. Some of us speculated on the positions, roles, etc. on the coaches that have been added. Some were right, some were wrong, but it's clear DQ is no fool and has no ego when it comes to errors he's made and looking for ways to correct them so he doesn't double down on them, making them worse. He's not infallible, but when I tell you he's one of the best coaches in the league, that is one of the reasons why. He's always looking to improve and surround himself with people who feel the same way and aren't above acknowledging they have room to improve as well as holding him accountable. He's not looking for a room full of yes men, and he dam sure got it right from the sound of this article. 

The part about Koetter and Mularkey got me most excited, because we've all speculated it. But the concerns DQ had about Koetter's propensity to want to go pass happy were clearly considered, which is exactly why he brought Mularkey, who we all know can create a running game out of thin air. That's what I'm talking about. DQ isn't arrogant or some fool. He sees what we see, and more, and works to make sure he can win with it. Koetter and Mularkey should be able to dismantle defenses on a regular basis with their football knowledge and the talent on the team. 

I can't wait. FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!

Great post. Thanks for sharing that article

gazoo, dardan, PokerSteve and 1 other like this

@vel

If this doesn’t get you excited about 2019, nothing will.  Thanks for the bolded cliff notes.

Koetter, Mularkey, Knapp & Morris represent every offensive system in football.  Morris is our Joker IMO. I don’t think people recognize how important he is to the offense and the team as a whole.

So long as those 4 can speak with a single unified voice on Sunday’s, we should be able to impose our will on any defense we see. Once again make teams play on our terms.  

56 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

@vel

If this doesn’t get you excited about 2019, nothing will.  Thanks for the bolded cliff notes.

Koetter, Mularkey, Knapp & Morris represent every offensive system in football.  Morris is our Joker IMO. I don’t think people recognize how important he is to the offense and the team as a whole.

So long as those 4 can speak with a single unified voice on Sunday’s, we should be able to impose our will on any defense we see. Once again make teams play on our terms.  

This is what I’m excited to see.  Idealistically, we have the collective experience on offense to create specific game plans to go against any defense.  Sark was too one-dimensional and didn’t adjust well enough.

16 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

This is what I’m excited to see.  Idealistically, we have the collective experience on offense to create specific game plans to go against any defense.  Sark was too one-dimensional and didn’t adjust well enough.

Great points.  Forget scheme.  We will build specific scheme diverse gameplans each week.  Very Patriots like.

8 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Great points.  Forget scheme.  We will build specific gameplans each week.  Very Patriots like.

I remember a few years back in the first rd of the playoffs they ran the ball 12 times and 6 of those were Brady scrambling.  They had 14 total rush yards.  The next week in the second rd they ran it like 40-times for 175 yards.  That’s the scheme flexibility that has made them so great.

FalconsIn2012 and Schwarzwald like this

12 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

I remember a few years back in the first rd of the playoffs they ran the ball 12 times and 6 of those were Brady scrambling.  They had 14 total rush yards.  The next week in the second rd they ran it like 40-times for 175 yards.  That’s the scheme flexibility that has made them so great.

So, it only takes 4 coaches with 120+ years of experience to equal Belichick.

And, I'm only half joking.

Can they manage the clock, know when to run the ball, and how not to give up games on final plays though :tiphat:

6 minutes ago, falconidae said:

So, it only takes 4 coaches with 120+ years of experience to equal Belichick.

And, I'm only half joking.

Sounds about right :lol:

4 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

For us to get Koetter and Mularkey just blows my mind.. added to the best draft in the History of this team. The stars are lining up for the Falcons... As I've said many times,, the very least we will be in the top 4, but I don't know how we could  miss not makeing it to the SB with the most stacked NFL team I've ever seen in the 50 years I've been a Falcon Fan.

The only thing I worry about is all these chefs in the kitchen.  DQ is going to need to make sure everyone understands their role or this could get ugly(a team pulled in different directions offensively from game to game or series to series).

Schwarzwald likes this