Yo_Lover

Being #1 is misleading

32 posts in this topic

Some of you seen the post about us being "#1 in QB, RB, & WR spending" but it's really misleading.

fC1JieR_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

But it's not really as it seems, @Ergo Proxy and I pointed it out but seems people want to ignore it for the sake of complaining.

Ftkc8zX.png

These are the comments from the reddit post talking about this and someone did the math on who actually has the highest CAP HITS. Average salary is nothing.

Cap hit is too easily manipulated based on team need. Average salary is more accurate. Ryan just converted salary this year but he is still paid the same amount of money so looking at an individual year versus his average as a whole can be misleading 

1 minute ago, ButSkiuup said:

Cap hit is too easily manipulated based on team need. Average salary is more accurate. Ryan just converted salary this year but he is still paid the same amount of money so looking at an individual year versus his average as a whole can be misleading 

I'd rather look at how much he counts against the cap, I don't care if he's paid a billion a year. Cap is all I'm worried about. 

34 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I'd rather look at how much he counts against the cap, I don't care if he's paid a billion a year. Cap is all I'm worried about. 

A one year cap hit doesn’t show the big picture like avg does

6 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

No it doesn't. Could just restructure like the Saints do.

The APY only really applies in 2-3 years of any 5 year contract.

D Jones frontloading onto the year left on his rookie contract makes it just a 9 APY contract for the 4 years of his contract. Like Julio’s contract, it will appear to be an “under market value contract” even though it is not

34 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

What “big picture” does the average show? Average salary literally means nothing in sports. It has zero impact on the fans 

These boards would prove that to not quite be true. :tiphat:

EDIT: This thread that is

ButSkiuup and JD dirtybird21 like this

26 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

What “big picture” does the average show? Average salary literally means nothing in sports. It has zero impact on the fans 

If you want to see how money is distributed on the team like the graphic he referred to, it’s more accurate than cap hit by year. 

Fans pay attention to salary and cap now more than ever. Maybe the casual fan doesn’t care, but a lot of fans do care about how the funds used to make the team more competitive is used or misused. 

34 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

No it doesn't. Could just restructure like the Saints do.

If you restructure, the salary stays the same unless they take a pay cut. The money shifts around to where more is given upfront but recorded accounting-wise to hit later. 

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

These boards would prove that to not quite be true. :tiphat:

EDIT: This thread that is

Exactly. Things are more transparent these days and fans pay attention. It directly correlates to a team being able to be competitive. 

Edited by ButSkiuup

1 minute ago, ButSkiuup said:

If you restructure, the salary stays the same unless they take a pay cut. The money shifts around to where more is given upfront but recorded accounting-wise to hit later. 

And that's fine brother. Just so long as the cap hit isn't #1. 

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

And that's fine brother. Just so long as the cap hit isn't #1. 

The point being whether Ryan’s hit is 15 this year or 33 next, it will still average to the same when you look at it full scope of his contract. Cap hit just plays the numbers to team need by year so they went by average in the graphic. 

35 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

The point being whether Ryan’s hit is 15 this year or 33 next, it will still average to the same when you look at it full scope of his contract. Cap hit just plays the numbers to team need by year so they went by average in the graphic. 

And yet APY isn’t always realized, cap hit is the only thing that matters since that is realized. Restructured contacts, extensions, cuts, etc

Only thing that matters with a contract is how it effects ability to build a roster for that year. Speaking of which, Falcons are in great shape.

3 hours ago, ButSkiuup said:

If you want to see how money is distributed on the team like the graphic he referred to, it’s more accurate than cap hit by year. 

Fans pay attention to salary and cap now more than ever. Maybe the casual fan doesn’t care, but a lot of fans do care about how the funds used to make the team more competitive is used or misused. 

You shouldn’t care because it doesn’t matter. And, I doubt you actually know what you’re looking at when It comes to the management of the salary cap

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You shouldn’t care because it doesn’t matter. And, I doubt you actually know what you’re looking at when It comes the management of the salary cap

It matters a lot and I do

29 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

It matters a lot and I do

When specifically does APY matter?

And, how is it better or more useful than actual cap hit?

I’ll wait.

Yo_Lover likes this

3 hours ago, ButSkiuup said:

Normally teams finesse the cap hits so that the year one guy gets big dollars another won’t...so cap hit would be the more accurate number fans should use to base their opinion of how a team is utilizing its cap space on a yearly basis. That’s why when people complain about xyz being overpaid, it’s normally seen as an overreaction by this board. Alf’s contract was seen as an overpay when he signed it, but he really only finessed us his last year because his play was well above his cap hit, then we got out the contract without a negative balance this year. Julio’s original payday was only an overpayment his 1st year, now he’s begging for a pay increase because his numbers aren’t close to his market value. 

If a fan is going to worry about how the team spends money, they should at least know how the team spends money, no?

2 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

When specifically does APY matter?

And, how is it better or more useful than actual cap hit?

I’ll wait.

It doesn't matter and won't until the NFL moves towards fully guaranteed contracts. Most of these contracts are structured in a way to allow teams to get out of them, relatively penalty free, before they see the unguaranteed salary in the last year or 2 of the contract.

Yo_Lover and Ergo Proxy like this

18 hours ago, ButSkiuup said:

A one year cap hit doesn’t show the big picture like avg does

Actually, the cap hit makes more sense. The average is only based on his total contract, and the number of years. His signing bonus was paid, so it would not count against the cap. His cap hit last season was not even high.

Yo_Lover and Ergo Proxy like this

5 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Actually, the cap hit makes more sense. The average is only based on his total contract, and the number of years. His signing bonus was paid, so it would not count against the cap. His cap hit last season was not even high.

It all matters.  They provide two different views on the health of a franchise

• CAP: this is a micro view on the overall roster.  Best for 1-2 analysis.

• APY/Total Contract: this is a macro view and extremely effective when examining a team’s 5 year outlook.  

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

It all matters.  They provide two different views on the health of a franchise

• CAP: this is a micro view on the overall roster.  Best for 1-2 analysis.

• APY/Total Contract: this is a macro view and extremely effective when examining a team’s 5 year outlook.  

How does it show the 5 year outlook? Just look at the cap hits for the next 5 years. 

Faithful Falcon likes this

13 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

How does it show the 5 year outlook? Just look at the cap hits for the next 5 years. 

If your looking at it that way then CAP & Total Contract are the same thing