Falcons Fan MVP

Which do you think will be more deadly in 2019 the Falcons offense or Falcons defense?

46 posts in this topic

I know at first glance our offense looks more dangerous than our defense but I'm not 100℅ sure that will be the case in 2019. The Falcons have Dan Quinn as their defensive coordinator in training camp! Dan Quinn is familiar with the guys on our defense and they are familiar with him. Our offense may not explode until 2020 because Dirk Koetter and the offensive line may need time to get although I expect at least 26 points a game at worst. I think there is a good chance 2019 could be the year of our defense. They are hungry! And have a chip on their shoulder. I think in 2019 there is a good chance our defense could be what scares other teams the most. Your thoughts?

gazoo and hashmark61 like this

21 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

I dont know why we act like this is all of a sudden Quinn’s first time meeting his defensive players like he hasn’t been working with them before

The last time he directly called plays we went on a Super Bowl run

TheFatboi, Yo_Lover, gazoo and 1 other like this

I still think offense finishes ranked higher than defense in both points and yards. I say this based on what we did for the OL.  The WR corps, Hoopers continued growth, Freeman back,with Ito and Ollison behind him with a FB bigger than Ovie Mughelli when needed.

I also think Ito is going to really surprise some people with a real OL to run behind. Don’t forget he led NFL in making defenders miss and what he did to Luke Kuechly last year a couple of times.

Thats not to say I think the defense will not be good. I think it will be very good. I am sure defense will get back in top 10 in both categories. 

Posted (edited)

DQ D is finally gonna look good when healthy. But offense just has so much more talent. Even more with OL additions. O could argue has the most talent of any team in the league. D could argue borderline Top 10 in talent 

Edited by NeonDeion

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

TI still think offense finishes ranked higher than defense in both points and yards. I say this based on what we did for the OL, the WR corps, Hoopers continued growth, Freeman back,with Ito and Ollison behind him with a FB bigger than Ovie Mughelli when needed.

I also think Ito is going to really surprise some people with a real OL to run behind. Don’t forget he led NFL in making defenders miss and what he did to Luke Kuechly last year a couple of times.

Thats not to say I think the defense will not be good. I think it will be very good. I am sure defense will get back in top 10 in both categories. 

Ito.is going to be a stud. Once tye game slows down, as it prob is starting to, hes going to be a mashup of Freeman and.Coleman. Doesnt have colemans top.end but has more than.Freemans. Hes going to be a premier satellite back in the league

gazoo likes this

Y’all are making it seem like it’s fonna he all offense and no defense. I don’t believe that. I also think the defense can be top 10. But better than 2017. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

15 hours ago, ButSkiuup said:

I dont know why we act like this is all of a sudden Quinn’s first time meeting his defensive players like he hasn’t been working with them before

Nobody acts like that. This is the first time he’s been on the defensive side of the ball full time. That in itself makes a difference. He only took over play calling in 2016 and even that made a difference. 

Fans seem to think because he’s the head coach he’s still hands on with the defense. He’s not. The coordinators are. Head coaches manage the team and hire other ppl to do a job.

Taking over as DC means he’s with them all day now. They’re gonna do it HIS way. They’re gonna hear HIS voice all day everyday. They’re gonna he in meetings and film with HIM. AND he’s gonna he hands on. I don’t know how many of y’all played football Foreal but it’s a very different version in real life from what fans think it is. 

And the main main factor is they like him. Players will go thru a wall for coaches they actually like. 

Yo_Lover and gazoo like this

5 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Y’all are making it seem like it’s fonna he all offense and no defense. I don’t believe that. I also think the defense can be top 10. But better than 2017. 

Thread title asked a specific question and we gave our opinion. Look at both sides.

On defense there is still an unproven pass rush and you have an average to above average back 7. You may not agree with that but that’s about it. Neal and Debo are the best in the back 7. If we knew which Trufant was going to show up that would mean something but unlike others I ain’t going off of a 5-6 game stretch at the end of the season. The biggest thing is that people are banking on Quinn taking over the playcalling to be the turning point for the defense. 

On offense you have playmakers at every skill position along with a top tier qb. That alone outweighs everything the defense has to offer until they prove otherwise

No.11 and TheFatboi like this

10 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Thread title asked a specific question and we gave our opinion. Look at both sides.

On defense there is still an unproven pass rush and you have an average to above average back 7. You may not agree with that but that’s about it. Neal and Debo are the best in the back 7. If we knew which Trufant was going to show up that would mean something but unlike others I ain’t going off of a 5-6 game stretch at the end of the season. The biggest thing is that people are banking on Quinn taking over the playcalling to be the turning point for the defense. 

On offense you have playmakers at every skill position along with a top tier qb. That alone outweighs everything the defense has to offer until they prove otherwise

I get that. I think the offense will of course be the better naturally. But the not even close comments is ridiculous to me that’s all. If the defense is top 10 again like 2017 it will indeed be close. And the defense was only key injuries away last year from being top 10 again. There’s not a lot of unproven players on the defense. And even if the pass rush isn’t the best there’s other areas that will make them top 10. Debo allows the fewest yards from short passes. More press man means qb holding the ball longer. Allen back to qb the defense. It’s just weird that ppl sound like we don’t know the key players we have on defense. And this year we have actual depth. 

ya_boi_j likes this

7 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Ito.is going to be a stud. Once tye game slows down, as it prob is starting to, hes going to be a mashup of Freeman and.Coleman. Doesnt have colemans top.end but has more than.Freemans. Hes going to be a premier satellite back in the league

Ito is also a much more talented receiver than either Freeman or Coleman. Coleman could runs goes and run straight past linebackers for big plays better than anyone, but Ito can run routes, Ito has that lightning quick step lateral stop and take off speed that can destroy a LB or safety covering him in passing game too.

When I saw Ito fearlessly take down, head on, that blitzing LB with a head of steam last year in pass protection, I told myself, with his running and receiving skills, we got ourselves a deadly 3rd down back.

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

I get that. I think the offense will of course be the better naturally. But the not even close comments is ridiculous to me that’s all. If the defense is top 10 again like 2017 it will indeed be close. And the defense was only key injuries away last year from being top 10 again. There’s not a lot of unproven players on the defense. And even if the pass rush isn’t the best there’s other areas that will make them top 10. Debo allows the fewest yards from short passes. More press man means qb holding the ball longer. Allen back to qb the defense. It’s just weird that ppl sound like we don’t know the key players we have on defense. And this year we have actual depth. 

One thing to consider and I looked at this last season. Being a top 10-15 offense or defense doesn’t truly mean much outside of the top 5 when you look at the numbers that separates the teams. Looking at the defensive side you have Takk(love it or hate it), he’s unproven, Vic(love it or hate it), he’s unproven, Oliver is unproven, Foye is unproven, Campbell is above average at best and Trufant is as up and down as it comes. When you have that many question marks on the defensive side and only 2-3 on offense, I would say that the not even close comments are accurate. Like I said, I think most are basing their opinions solely on Quinn taking over playcalling. That’s been the trend all offseason and is even in this thread. 

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Offense CAP Allocation: $107,000,000

Defense CAP Allocation:  $76,000,000

If the offense isn’t the better unit, we got problems

Grady, Deion and Neal will be changing that.

Especially when Mack, Freeman and Sanu leave soon.

13 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Grady, Deion and Neal will be changing that.

Especially when Mack, Freeman and Sanu leave soon.

The numbers are set for 2019 pretty much.  2020 will look  a bit different

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

Ito is also a much more talented receiver than either Freeman or Coleman. Coleman could runs goes and run straight past linebackers for big plays better than anyone, but Ito can run routes, Ito has that lightning quick step lateral stop and take off speed that can destroy a LB or safety covering him in passing game too.

When I saw Ito fearlessly take down, head on, that blitzing LB with a head of steam last year in pass protection, I told myself, with his running and receiving skills, we got ourselves a deadly 3rd down back.

Ito is not on Coleman’s level as a receiver.  Come on, now.  You know that’s not accurate.

ButSkiuup likes this