Tim Mazetti

The Falcons' Are Keeping Their Stars.

69 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

Percy Harvin was a SB star too. Why did the Seahawks let him go? 

Pretty sure they didn’t create a thread about keeping their stars when they let him go :tiphat:

15 hours ago, ButSkiuup said:

Bryant Gone

Alford Gone

Coleman Gone

all stars vital to 2016 SB success before the collapse 

Coleman is a bum and so is Alford, only Money Bryant is elite

16 hours ago, gazoo said:

I'm thrilled with how this franchise is run and amazed how we do so well with the CAP. I recall a time not long ago when we would let the best players, players like Deion Sanders, walk because we didn't want to pay them.

The most important thing, and one that was not mentioned in the article is they haven't made the mistake a lot of teams make, including the Falcons in the past, by allowing the natural turnover of coaches to cause a change in offensive or defensive systems. It's great to have your star players signed but you can turn a star player into an overpaid misfit in a system that doesn't match their talents. This to me is the most important thing to the continued success of the organization.

16 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

One play, keep going man. If he's so bad you can post more. Every corner gets beat at some point.

Honestly Trufant should have had safety help therr

here's my solution to that nonsense:

butskiip ignored.jpg

ButSkiuup, gazoo, Yo_Lover and 2 others like this

48 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Looolll

Don't do that often, but there are rare individuals who contribute nothing but stay within COC. Life is too short to deal with that nonsense. Now, only time I see it is when someone quotes them.

6 hours ago, slider said:

The most important thing, and one that was not mentioned in the article is they haven't made the mistake a lot of teams make, including the Falcons in the past, by allowing the natural turnover of coaches to cause a change in offensive or defensive systems. It's great to have your star players signed but you can turn a star player into an overpaid misfit in a system that doesn't match their talents. This to me is the most important thing to the continued success of the organization.

Yeah, consistency is more than just keeping your stars, too much coaching turnover can create down years. I’m convinced if Shanahan was OC since 2008, we would have at least one SB win, if not more. 

This is why I was glad this year we brought back Keotter and Mularkey to join Ryan, Chris  Morgan, Knapp, Julio etc. I think the transition will be smooth due to them all having worked together successfully . I always questioned the wisdom of bringing in a college coach Sark to be OC though. I think the ship has been righted, especially getting DQ back as DC.

Tim Mazetti and slider like this

42 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Don't do that often, but there are rare individuals who contribute nothing but stay within COC. Life is too short to deal with that nonsense. Now, only time I see it is when someone quotes them.

I'll do my best to not quote him. 

14 hours ago, gazoo said:

What were the rules back then anyway regarding free agency?  It was instituted in 1992 and Sanders was allowed to walk in 1994.did we even have the right to match another teams offer? He just went to San Fran for a year, then went to Dallas.

It was a long t8me ago, but I had season tickets back then and recall me and many of my friends being furious at the Smiths when Sanders got away. 

13 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Free agency started in 1993, the same year the salary cap started. The first big free agent signing was Reggie White leaving the Eagles to go to the Packers. I don't know about UFA the right to match offers and stuff.

But I do remember years after the fact Deion talking about how he would have stayed if the Falcons had offered him more money. But who really knows? Deion was also a ring chaser which is why he went to the hated 49ers on a 1-year deal and then signed a massive (at the time) deal with the Cowboys. 1995 was also the same year the Cowboys decided to play hard ball with Emmitt Smith and Emmitt held out the first two games of the season and the Cowboys lost both games and after that happened Jerry Jones caved in to him. Jerry was quick to learn that Emmitt Smith was the key to the Cowboys offensive, not Troy Aikman.

I sure do wish Deion Sanders was on our 1998 team. Looking back it does seem like the Falcons front office was good at bringing in talent in the 90's at least in Free agency before Arthur Blank got here. Particularly on the offensive side of the ball. When Dan Reeves got here he put together a couple of great overall teams that got old and banged up. Back in the 90's the NFC was completely dominated by SF, GB and Dallas. They were like the Patriots, Colts and Steelers of the AFC in the 2000's. I think the Falcons being a complete joke of a franchise would be 1990 and before. By 1991 the Falcons never went any longer than 3 seasons without making the playoffs. Not great but decent. With tgat said thank God we have Arthur Blank, Thomas Dimitroff and Dan Quinn now.

gazoo, Vandy, Falconsfan567 and 1 other like this

21 hours ago, gazoo said:

I'm thrilled with how this franchise is run and amazed how we do so well with the CAP. I recall a time not long ago when we would let the best players, players like Deion Sanders, walk because we didn't want to pay them.

The Smiths seemed to feel just having an NFL team in Atlanta was the important thing. No real effort was made to put together a competent coaching staff or decent roster for the new franchise. And if we happened to get a good player, well, let's see what we can get for him.

The team quickly became little more than a league patsy, mainly good for providing comedy relief on NFL Films videos. Unfortunately, that attitude basically persisted until Arthur Blank came along. Blank will never be satisfied with anything less than a championship as long as he has a breath left in his lungs and a buck in the bank.

6 hours ago, BirdGangATL said:

Coleman is a bum and so is Alford, only Money Bryant is elite

You guys with these absolutes.

They were hardly bums. Good players who filled a role, but not good enough to keep and build around at the escalating cost it would take. 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

They were hardly bums. Good players who filled a role, but not good enough to keep and build around at the escalating cost it would take. 

364yqs.jpg

Tim Mazetti and Vandy like this

10 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

The Smiths seemed to feel just having an NFL team in Atlanta was the important thing. No real effort was made to put together a competent coaching staff or decent roster for the new franchise. And if we happened to get a good player, well, let's see what we can get for him.

The team quickly became little more than a league patsy, mainly good for providing comedy relief on NFL Films videos. Unfortunately, that attitude basically persisted until Arthur Blank came along. Blank will never be satisfied with anything less than a championship as long as he has a breath left in his lungs and a buck in the bank.

Yep, what a gift Arthur Blank has been to long t8me suffering fans like us. He is driven to get a Lombardi, and he is capable. He has made some mistakes along the way but never twice.

PokerSteve likes this

18 hours ago, Vandy said:

Your boy Coleman couldn’t even rush for 1k in a full starter role and he has no vision and Alford every game will have a holding or pass interference call, u must not watch falcons football. 

5 hours ago, BirdGangATL said:

Your boy Coleman couldn’t even rush for 1k in a full starter role and he has no vision and Alford every game will have a holding or pass interference call, u must not watch falcons football. 

That doesn't make them bums. There is an in between between bum and HOF.

Yo_Lover, Drew4719, gazoo and 1 other like this

5 hours ago, BirdGangATL said:

You got me there, Sherlock. 

Tim Mazetti, gazoo, Drew4719 and 1 other like this