Falconsfan567

Salary Cap

278 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I know what you’re saying.  I think Sheff is a more likely Rico replacement.  Kazee going to ball out in the slot this year.

So who is your untouchable Core?

Ryan, Julio, Jarrett, DeBo, Neal. I think those are the guys we keep no matter what happens.

19 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Should have kept Poe at $9M per year? I think not!! Did you watch him play for Carolina last year?

Different team, different system.  He played very well for us.

Just now, thamill said:

Different team, different system.  He played very well for us.

Even still, he wasn't worth anywhere close to $9M a year. You don't pay a "run stuffer" $9M a season. That's just dumb.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Even still, he wasn't worth anywhere close to $9M a year. You don't pay a "run stuffer" $9M a season. That's just dumb.

The game is won and lost in the trenches.  If you are getting gouged in the run game like we were last year(I think back specifically to the Browns game), 9mil may be worth it.  

42 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Ryan, Julio, Jarrett, DeBo, Neal. I think those are the guys we keep no matter what happens.

DT just isn’t a core position IMO.  We paid Grady 17 mill APY...but we could have signed Damon Harrison and Mike Daniels for 7 mill AP combined.  Daniels, Harrison, Crawford, Clayborn is way cheaper and far more formidable.

Its why Belichick won’t pay for DL.  Scheme can create the needed pressure.  

38 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The contract was basically a 2 year, 14 million contract.  And he had 38 QB pressures in 2017, 9th best among all DT’s.   Not just a run stuffing DT.

ButSkiuup likes this

8 hours ago, capologist said:

About half of those you named were due to "time to hang em up".  See Abe, McClure, Clabo, possibly Bryant (notice he's not signed anywhere else), Turner, Dahl, etc.  You may not like TD as a GM but as a cap manager, he's at the top of the league...

Most of those guys went on to play better than Dimi's replacements played.

If Dimi is top of the league in cap management a whole bunch of GMs suck at it.

He's been bottom of the league in cap space for years and imbalanced with a 60/40 off/def split.

In eleven seasons he's had five top 10 offenses in pts/yds, but only one such defense.

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

He's been bottom of the league in cap space for years and imbalanced with a 60/40 off/def split.

In eleven seasons he's had five top 10 offenses in pts/yds, but only one such defense.

So you are basing your logic on the fact that we don't have cap space?  You don't want cap space.  The teams with the most cap space are typically the ones that suck.  Your beef with "Dimi" is so weird.  

Say a lot of things about TD.  He is great with contracts.

Falconsfan567 likes this

3 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I actually agree with many of our views on CAP management.  But it only really matters if we aren’t  competitive for a playoff spot.  We have been since Quinn came aboard.

Who would you take over TD as a GM.  Draft, CAP, Scouting and contracts.  Who is better filling all the roles a GM has? At most you could list 7 iMO.  That’s the most

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I actually agree with many of our views on CAP management.  But it only really matters if we aren’t  competitive for a playoff spot.  We have been since Quinn came aboard.

Who would you take over TD as a GM.  Draft, CAP, Scouting and contracts.  Who is better filling all the roles a GM has? At most you could list 7 iMO.  That’s the most

He's a top 5 (probably) gm in the league, but ole boy got a stick so far up his butt over "Dimi" he won't acknowledge it.  Not even close.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

1 minute ago, athell said:

He's a top 5 (probably) gm in the league, but ole boy got a stick so far up his butt over "Dimi" he won't acknowledge it.  Not even close.

@JD dirtybird21 thoughts?

3 minutes ago, athell said:

So you are basing your logic on the fact that we don't have cap space?  You don't want cap space.  The teams with the most cap space are typically the ones that suck.  Your beef with "Dimi" is so weird.  

Say a lot of things about TD.  He is great with contracts.

IND, CHI, DAL, KC, LAC, PHI, SEA, NO, BAL all have more cap space than us. IND has 4x as much. What do they all have in common? They went to the playoffs last year while we sat by the fire and watched. We've only been to the playoffs twice in the last six seasons bro.

ButSkiuup likes this

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

With a 46-50 (.479) record and only two playoff berths in the last six seasons? And no cap space? I'll take you as the GM at this point. You're gonna have to work your way out of cap hail over the next three years though.

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

With a 46-50 (.479) record and only two playoff berths in the last six seasons? And no cap space? I'll take you as the GM at this point. You're gonna have to work your way out of cap hail over the next three years though.

Falcons are officially in limbo. And it’s only getting worse as they are paying the defense now. That’s why you gotta win when up 25 points in the super bowl. Window is closing quickly and the injuries are just adding another lost season when everyone getting older and paid more

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

9 minutes ago, athell said:

Top five in what? Cap space? Record last year? Last three years? Last six years? Playoff record? Lombardies?

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

IND, CHI, DAL, KC, LAC, PHI, SEA, NO, BAL all have more cap space than us. IND has 4x as much. What do they all have in common? They went to the playoffs last year while we sat by the fire and watched. We've only been to the playoffs twice in the last six seasons bro.

Why did we sit by the fire and watch last season?

If we were healthy, we would have easily been in the playoffs and done some damage.  That's not on TD.

Quinn's first year we were 8-8, 2nd in our division, while the offense couldn't pick up Shanny's scheme.  Not TD's fault.  We are talking about a roster that should have won a SB, nearly got back the following year in-spite of our OC, and would have done more damage last year if we didn't lose almost every critical piece on defense last year.  3 out of 4 years of success and one .500 year.  I'll take that all day.

The 2 years before that were terrible, I will give you that...but with the ghost of SJax and Fat Turner, among others (which Smith played a part in) it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Point is.  Having Cap Space is not a good thing.  Your list also has QBs on rookie contracts, a lot of them, and I guarantee you that out of those 6 seasons you mentioned, those teams have had more space than us maybe a couple times.  Which is fine...it is a moving entity. 

8 minutes ago, athell said:

But even great GM’s have limitations or weaknesses.  To list his weakness without also acknowledging his strengths is misleading.

Its like saying Ben Simmons can’t shoot beyond 20 feet and as such is worthless.

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Top five in what? Cap space? Record last year? Last three years? Last six years? Playoff record? Lombardies?

Hit up google.  I checked after I posted and there are plenty of GM rankings that have him top 6 (at worst) all over the web.  Keep hating.

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

But even great GM’s have limitations or weaknesses.  To list his weakness without also acknowledging his strengths is misleading.

Its like saying Ben Simmons can’t shoot beyond 20 feet and as such is worthless.

Of course.  That's the problem, he won't acknowledge the strengths.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

26 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Remove last year.  It’s a Unicorn.  What are the numbers since Quinn took over?  Bear in mind we won a total of 10 games between 2013 & 2014.

32-20.  63% win rate and nearly consecutive NFCCG’s

athell and Falconsfan567 like this

It amazes me how these discussions twist and turn. Salary cap is very much real but can very much come back and bite you in the future. But what really amazes me is that the same people who want to pay this player or another as superstars, are the first to complain about our lack of depth. Quality depth costs money too.

37 minutes ago, athell said:

Why did we sit by the fire and watch last season?

If we were healthy, we would have easily been in the playoffs and done some damage.  That's not on TD.

Quinn's first year we were 8-8, 2nd in our division, while the offense couldn't pick up Shanny's scheme.  Not TD's fault.  We are talking about a roster that should have won a SB, nearly got back the following year in-spite of our OC, and would have done more damage last year if we didn't lose almost every critical piece on defense last year.  3 out of 4 years of success and one .500 year.  I'll take that all day.

The 2 years before that were terrible, I will give you that...but with the ghost of SJax and Fat Turner, among others (which Smith played a part in) it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Point is.  Having Cap Space is not a good thing.  Your list also has QBs on rookie contracts, a lot of them, and I guarantee you that out of those 6 seasons you mentioned, those teams have had more space than us maybe a couple times.  Which is fine...it is a moving entity. 

Quinn already said injuries are no excuse. They aren't. Only on TATF. Pull up the injury lists of the last 10 Super Bowl Champion rosters.

AVAILABLE CAP SPACE RANKINGS OF LAST FOUR LOMBARDI WINNERS COMPARED TO FALCONS

• 2018 - NE (19th), ATL (31st)
  • 2017 - PHI (24th), ATL (32nd)
  • 2016 - NE (12th), ATL (29th)
  • 2015 - CEN (23rd) ATL (25th)

T

51 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Dimi is under .500 with only two playoff berths in the last six years bro. Mostly because of his roster building.

ButSkiuup and Falcons In 2012 like this

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Quinn already said injuries are no excuse. They aren't. Only on TATF. Pull up the injury lists of the last 10 Super Bowl Champion rosters.

AVAILABLE CAP SPACE RANKINGS OF LAST FOUR LOMBARDI WINNERS COMPARED TO FALCONS

• 2018 - NE (19th), ATL (31st)
  • 2017 - PHI (24th), ATL (32nd)
  • 2016 - NE (12th), ATL (29th)
  • 2015 - CEN (23rd) ATL (25th)

T

Miss me with the cap space argument.  That is dumb.

Also, like @FalconsIn2020 alluded to..

But yeah...he sucks at his job amirite

Falconsfan567 likes this

9 minutes ago, athell said:

Miss me with the cap space argument.  That is dumb.

Also, like @FalconsIn2020 alluded to..

But yeah...he sucks at his job amirite

But you said he was top 5. Wrong. Now where did he rank last year? Last six years? Definitely not top 5. That ranking came from his first five years. Not his last five.