Falconsfan567

Salary Cap

278 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:19 PM, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO at "we do not let talent walk" Please bro. Abe, Grimes, Mud Duck, Clabo, Bryant, DiMarco, Dahl, The Burner, Poe, Irvin, Alf, Teco, you name it. We replaced them with clowns like Osi, Tru, Missing Persons, Puddin, Deaf Coleman, King Konz, SJax, Turrible McClain, etc. That was mainly because of Dimi's cap mismanagement. He is definitely not the cap guru TATF said he was. Just look at where we ranked in available cap space over the last four years:

• 2018 - 31st
  • 2017 - 32nd
  • 2016 - 29th
  • 2015 - 25th

And when Debo's cap number hits the books we're gonna be right back down on the bottom again. That's why we've been bottom feeders in free agency the last couple years. Go look at the 2020 and 2021 tables as well as the players under contract. It aint pretty.

About half of those you named were due to "time to hang em up".  See Abe, McClure, Clabo, possibly Bryant (notice he's not signed anywhere else), Turner, Dahl, etc.  You may not like TD as a GM but as a cap manager, he's at the top of the league...

Falconsfan567 likes this

37 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Clay, Crawford, and Ty aren't B guys. Davison is a super situational player too.

And 1 is a pro bowler, Rico would never make it. He doesn't get the turnovers to.

Ty isn’t.  I think Crawford and Clay are most certainly B players in this league.  I mean, they aren’t Pro Bowlers.  But both can get us 6 sacks which is above average.

Freeman & Rico are better than B players IMO

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Ty isn’t.  I think Crawford and Clay are most certainly B players in this league.  I mean, they aren’t Pro Bowlers.  But both can get us 6 sacks which is above average.

Freeman & Rico are better than B players IMO

Crawford has gotten 6 once in his entire career and Clayborn did it once for us because he got 6 in one game on a 3rd string tackle and did it in 2011 before that. They're not reliable 6 sack guys, they're 4 sack guys. 

3 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Crawford has gotten 6 once in his entire career and Clayborn did it once for us because he got 6 in one game on a 3rd string tackle and did it in 2011 before that. They're not reliable 6 sack guys, they're 4 sack guys. 

Crawford will again be disruptive.  Quinn isn’t stupid and dotes on Craw. So I suspect 6 from him again.  If between the 2 they get 10-12 sacks, that’s great production for 5 million CAP hit.  Now we can use the other 15 million to fill other holes rather than spend it all on 1 superstar.

Again, just another way of looking at things.  Neither of us is right or wrong

11 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I don’t really care about having FA money.  My concern is signing our own guys.  

And that’s exactly what there doing.

Issue still remains who are the priorities and who aren’t which then puts more onus on the Draft and who they have to replace.

Yet alot round here still moan about the CAP.

DRAFT all day is more important than the cap because it allows flexibility on what is under strain the SALARY CAP.

Not sure why the cap is still an issue it becomes an issue if the guys we are letting go aren’t replaced with ascending talent.

Not sure why a lot still bang the same drum.I mean 6 years ago Matt Ryan signed his first 100 mill plus contract.This sought of thread isn’t exactly new news.

4 hours ago, ButSkiuup said:

We are also loaded with talent with key guys locked up for the long haul.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

And that’s exactly what there doing.

Issue still remains who are the priorities and who aren’t which then puts more onus on the Draft and who they have to replace.

Yet alot round here still moan about the CAP.

DRAFT all day is more important than the cap because it allows flexibility on what is under strain the SALARY CAP.

Not sure why the cap is still an issue it becomes an issue if the guys we are letting go aren’t replaced with ascending talent.

Not sure why a lot still bang the same drum.I mean 6 years ago Matt Ryan signed his first 100 mill plus contract.This sought of thread isn’t exactly new news.

We are also loaded with talent with key guys locked up for the long haul.

The problem is all it takes is for one expensive guy to go down and you can’t afford to patch the leak. We’ve already seen it with freeman 

On 7/23/2019 at 6:59 AM, ButSkiuup said:

The problem is all it takes is for one expensive guy to go down and you can’t afford to patch the leak. We’ve already seen it with freeman 

So is this narrative look for injuries to derail us.

This could be said for any team in the league.

Injury is what it is he’ll what if a high priced FA went down it’s no different.

We’ve already seen it with Freeman so what do the FO and coaches target in the draft Olinemen and double dip in FA with mid tier guys.

Falconsfan567 likes this

17 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Crawford will again be disruptive.  Quinn isn’t stupid and dotes on Craw. So I suspect 6 from him again.  If between the 2 they get 10-12 sacks, that’s great production for 5 million CAP hit.  Now we can use the other 15 million to fill other holes rather than spend it all on 1 superstar.

Again, just another way of looking at things.  Neither of us is right or wrong

I'd rather have guys that can take over and dominate a game instead of average guys.

why would you suspect he repeats his career year?

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

I'd rather have guys that can take over and dominate a game instead of average guys.

why would you suspect he repeats his career year?

Just how Quinn talked about him after watching the tape.  He and Grady were the only standouts on the entire DL.  His sacks and pressures were evenly distributed after the Steelers game.  The better question is what would make you think it would not continue?  Did you notice any fluke or easy sacks?

Just how Quinn talked about him after watching the tape.  He and Grady were the only standouts on the entire DL.  His sacks and pressures were evenly distributed after the Steelers game.  The better question is what would make you think it would not continue?  Did you notice any fluke or easy sacks?

I notice years a below average play with one good year. He had an outlier year.

12 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I don’t really care about having FA money.  My concern is signing our own guys.  

Which the Falcons haven't had any issues with over the years.

8 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Which the Falcons haven't had any issues with over the years.

Not being able to keep Hooper, Dre and still likely cutting Freeman, Sanu & Rico tells you that’s not true for 2020

ButSkiuup likes this

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Not being able to keep Hooper, Dre and still likely cutting Freeman, Sanu & Rico tells you that’s not true for 2020

They don’t see it yet. They still think we are fine. This is pretty much the last year 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, Yo_Lover said:

Lol at you naming off old/average guys as if we should have kept them all.

Yeah The Burner was washed up when he left. Mud Duck retired I believe.  Dahl and DiMarco sucked to lose.  Abe was in the twilight of his career.  That was tough to call.  He did produce for AZ the next year but he was getting pretty old IIRC.  We should have kept Poe.  Alford was expendable.  We are deep at CB.  Teco was going to command RB1 money.  He had a decent year last year but it didn't warrant RB1 money IMO.  Once again, we are deep there.  Grimes was a good CB but not exactly Deion Sanders or a cornerstone of the defense like Debo and Jarrett are.     

3 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

They don’t see it yet. They still think we are fine. This is pretty much the last year 

I don’t think its that bad.  Losing those players hurts, but Sanu was already replaced by Ridley.  Rico would hit.  So would Free.  But draft well and you’re good.

5 hours ago, capologist said:

About half of those you named were due to "time to hang em up".  See Abe, McClure, Clabo, possibly Bryant (notice he's not signed anywhere else), Turner, Dahl, etc.  You may not like TD as a GM but as a cap manager, he's at the top of the league...

I wouldn’t put Abe in that group.  He had a fluke injury but still had like 12 sacks, 14 TFL, 14 QBH and 1 safety his lone season with Arizona

15 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

See this is another assumption you don’t know any of what you say is going to happen.You see black n white like what your seeing today is what it’s going to be come next FA.See this is the narrative I have an issue with.

You don’t no what or where we are going to in next years draft to possibly upgrade certain spots so players become easier to let go.Your just holding onto the narrative what the picture looks like now that’s how it’s going to look in a year.

I’ve seen and heard this before we can’t do this or we can’t hold onto this guy your Jarretts and alike yet what happens exactly the opposite.

I think you just need to wait until a few more cards hit the table before making such assumptions.

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I wouldn’t put Abe in that group.  He had a fluke injury but still had like 12 sacks his one season with Arizona

Yes he did.  That was a tough call though.  He was definitely at the end of his career.  He had done so much for the Falcons, it would almost seem an insult to offer him a 1 year deal.  If we had offered him three years and he had one more good year and two down years, people on this board would have crucified TD.

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

See this is another assumption you don’t know any of what you say is going to happen.You see black n white like what your seeing today is what it’s going to be come next FA.See this is the narrative I have an issue with.

You don’t no what or where we are going to in next years draft to possibly upgrade certain spots so players become easier to let go.Your just holding onto the narrative what the picture looks like now that’s how it’s going to look in a year.

I’ve seen and heard this before we can’t do this or we can’t hold onto this guy your Jarretts and alike yet what happens exactly the opposite.

I think you just need to wait until a few more cards hit the table before making such assumptions.

It’s an educated guess.  There is absolutely no way to keep all those guys, Kiwi.  No accounting method will allow for so much manipulation.

I just hope we find a way to keep Hooper.

They could restructure Matthews & Tru If both play like they should and are in the 4 year plan.  Could also extend Mack to reduce his 2020 CAP.  That’s about it.  The rest will be made in the form of cuts.  Who we cut is anyone’s guess.  But looking at CAP vs Dead Money, there are only 7-8 logical options. 

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Calvin Ridley was drafted to replace Sanu. That was the plan. If Sanu takes a pay cut he stays, if not then ok. Rico is under contract for next year and it's a relatively new deal. We ain't gonna cut him. Jury is still out on Hooper. Campbell is a good player but he's not a vital player. Freeman is a running back that has had trouble staying on the field in recent years and due big money. It would make since to cut him and find someone else if he's not willing to take a pay cut.

We're not losing our CORE players. We're losing ROLE players. There's a difference in the way things are done between CORE players and ROLE players. You guys are all upset about losing ROLE players and that doesn't make one lick of sense. That's the way you have to do business within the salary cap.

You keep your CORE players and you replace your ROLE players with the next round of draft picks. It's like an assembly line. I don't understand why this is so hard for you people to understand and why y'all are all up in arms about it.

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, thamill said:

Yeah The Burner was washed up when he left. Mud Duck retired I believe.  Dahl and DiMarco sucked to lose.  Abe was in the twilight of his career.  That was tough to call.  He did produce for AZ the next year but he was getting pretty old IIRC.  We should have kept Poe.  Alford was expendable.  We are deep at CB.  Teco was going to command RB1 money.  He had a decent year last year but it didn't warrant RB1 money IMO.  Once again, we are deep there.  Grimes was a good CB but not exactly Deion Sanders or a cornerstone of the defense like Debo and Jarrett are.     

Should have kept Poe at $9M per year? I think not!! Did you watch him play for Carolina last year?

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I wouldn’t put Abe in that group.  He had a fluke injury but still had like 12 sacks, 14 TFL, 14 QBH and 1 safety his lone season with Arizona

And then played in exactly 1 game in 2014. You guys are *****ing about 1 year of John Abraham in a season when the Falcons won only 4 games. What difference would Abraham have made to the W/L record? This stuff is downright ridiculous!!! Must suck to think TD and company suck at his job.

14 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Calvin Ridley was drafted to replace Sanu. That was the plan. If Sanu takes a pay cut he stays, if not then ok. Rico is under contract for next year and it's a relatively new deal. We ain't gonna cut him. Jury is still out on Hooper. Campbell is a good player but he's not a vital player. Freeman is a running back that has had trouble staying on the field in recent years and due big money. It would make since to cut him and find someone else if he's not willing to take a pay cut.

We're not losing our CORE players. We're losing ROLE players. There's a difference in the way things are done between CORE players and ROLE players. You guys are all upset about losing ROLE players and that doesn't make one lick of sense. That's the way you have to do business within the salary cap.

You keep your CORE players and you replace your ROLE players with the next round of draft picks. It's like an assembly line. I don't understand why this is so hard for you people to understand and why y'all are all up in arms about it.

Just a matter of perspective.  I think Ryan, Julio & Debo are the Untouchable Core.  After that, everyone is a chess piece. Losing a bishop to grab a Rook and 3 pawns is smart roster management IMO

Rico saves 4 million on CAP next year so he is a likely cut.  I don’t like it at all, though

Just a matter of perspective.  I think Ryan, Julio & Debo are the Untouchable Core.  After that, everyone is a chess piece. Losing a bishop to grab a Rook and 3 pawns is smart roster management IMO

Rico saves 4 million on CAP next year so he is a likely cut.  I don’t like it at all, though

And we might already have the replacement for Rico in Kazee. That is what I'm trying to say.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

And we might already have the replacement for Rico in Kazee. That is what I'm trying to say.

I know what you’re saying.  I think Sheff is a more likely Rico replacement.  Kazee going to ball out in the slot this year.

So who is your untouchable Core?