Falconsfan567

Salary Cap

278 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO. Grimes went on to dam near equal Tru and Alf's combined production and three straight Pro Bowls. 

Abe wasn't hurt. He was drinkin, but still beatin plenty as. Dimi cut him. He went to a Pro Bowl. He was still playin like this:

Abe injured his leg in the final game of regular season.

falcons saved 6m in cap by cutting ties. The ONLY other team thwt offered him anything was Arizona. He made.1.6m in 2013. Guess BB is an idiot too for not.signing him.

5 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

falcons saved 6m in cap by cutting ties. The ONLY other team thwt offered him anything was Arizona. He made.1.6m in 2013. Guess BB is an idiot too for not.signing him.

He played 1 more year. It's hilarious how that was such a horrible move!! Guess Bill Walsh was an idiot too because he would have gotten rid of Abraham too, especially with him coming off an injury.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

He played 1 more year. It's hilarious how that was such a horrible move!! Guess Bill Walsh was an idiot too because he would have gotten rid of Abraham too, especially with him coming off an injury.

We.did.kinda do him wrong i.m.o. He took way less money to sign a.3 year contract with us at age 34 bc he wanted to be gauranteed 3 seasons more than he wanted more money for a 2 or.1 yr deal. 2012 he Gets 10 sacks, and is injured in a meaningless week.17 game before the playoffs. Now.hes 35 y.o. and injured but with 2 years left on a 3 year contract we are able to void it and save 6 much needed mil cap.dollars. 

Agan abe turns down a couple one year offers to accept the only 2 year offer on the table. Abe just really wanted that 3rd season. So 2013 he comes out and looks like hes in his prime again. Plays a full season, 11.5 sacks 4 f.f. And like 3 or.4 passes.defensesd.. One of the best seasons for a 35 year old in league history. 

Noteven sure how he gets injured again but after  playing all of 2013 he gets injured before hes able.to.tally a stat for his coveted 3 rd season. 

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

2 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

We.did.kinda do him wrong i.m.o. He took way less money to sign a.3 year contract with us at age 34 bc he wanted to be gauranteed 3 seasons more than he wanted more money for a 2 or.1 yr deal. 2012 he Gets 10 sacks, and is injured in a meaningless week.17 game before the playoffs. Now.hes 35 y.o. and injured but with 2 years left on a 3 year contract we are able to void it and save 6 much needed mil cap.dollars. 

Agan abe turns down a couple one year offers to accept the only 2 year offer on the table. Abe just really wanted that 3rd season. So 2013 he comes out and looks like hes in his prime again. Plays a full season, 11.5 sacks 4 f.f. And like 3 or.4 passes.defensesd.. One of the best seasons for a 35 year old in league history. 

Noteven sure how he gets injured again but after  playing all of 2013 he gets injured before hes able.to.tally a stat for his coveted 3 rd season. 

He got a concussion in his last season.

And yeah you're right, Dimi screwed him after he took a hometown pay cut.

One of the best Falcons in the history of the franchise. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

7 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

The salary cap is a crutch that terrible fans use to take shots at team management. It rarely had much implications.

No the salary cap is an imaginary cap that clueless fans think has no effect on a roster.

Smiler11 and ButSkiuup like this

17 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

No the salary cap is an imaginary cap that clueless fans think has no effect on a roster.

There seems to be only two.camps. On thwt one. Its.like anything else.today either black or.white. However like most thngs the truth lies between it being a rigid system and a totally arbitrary number that can be endlessly manipulated to sign whoever whenever.

Falconsfan567 and ukfalc like this

23 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

He got a concussion in his last season.

And yeah you're right, Dimi screwed him after he took a hometown pay cut.

One of the best Falcons in the history of the franchise. 

Last.seaso n with us or.week one 2014? 

imagine if it had not been legal.to hold Abe. One.of the most.unstoppable forces to ever play. Had he came out.in 70s or.80s he d be considered one of the best to ever play.

9 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Huge mistake letting Abe walk. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/sports/at-35-john-abraham-having-standout-season-with-11-sacks.amp

ButSkiuup likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

In hindsight. He.was 35, injured, and set.to cost 7 mio against a.cap that we were less than 2m under. Nobody expected him to.do much of.anything if he ever played more.than half.a.season. 30 other teams didnt want to pay more.tysn the 2yr/4m contract that Ari gave out of.desperation. Much worse of.a.decieion by the other teams tyan from us. We.got much needed cap relief. Everyone but Ari got.**** all.

21 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

In hindsight. He.was 35, injured, and set.to cost 7 mio against a.cap that we were less than 2m under. Nobody expected him to.do much of.anything if he ever played more.than half.a.season. 30 other teams didnt want to pay more.tysn the 2yr/4m contract that Ari gave out of.desperation. Much worse of.a.decieion by the other teams tyan from us. We.got much needed cap relief. Everyone but Ari got.**** all.

Not sure why you and “everybody” thought that, as he had 10 sacks the year before in ATL. 

I guess in hindsite, we should have gone into full rebuilding mode after letting Abe, Turner et al walk instead of signing washed up Osi, Steven Jackson, etc. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

29 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

And still better than Beasley :tiphat:

Anyone who understands the cap, knows that it is a soft cap which gives teams a lot of scope for flexibility. However, they also know that when you restructure contracts, backload contracts and overpay for players, you WILL eventually have to pay a price for those moves.

Those moves will impact on your future cap room, and therefore potentially your ability to retain players and or sign free agents in future season. Some people try to pretend otherwise, but historically we’ve seen plenty of team who have go themselves in to serious cap trouble by manipulating the cap for short term gain.

When team don’t have enough cap room, they don’t go around telling everybody and shouting it from the roof.tops. They just quietly go about dealing with it, allowing good free agents to leave, making low money free agency moves and hoping that  their existing players can step up and fill holes. A lot of fans tend to overlook the fact that these decisions are being made for cap reasons, and are usually the consequence of cap decisions made in previous years.

IMO fans tend to focus on the immediate future and short term results and don’t take account of the circumstances behind certain moves. For example, Osi and Sjax were brought here because we lacked cap room at the time. They were never seen as long term replacements for Abe and Turner. They were seen as potential short term solutions who were cheap in cap terms because of their age. Both had been very productive before coming here, but were at an age where there was a significant risk that they would begin to decline.Their contracts reflected that.

In Sjax’s case, the guy was a workout warrior who had been remained almost injury free before coming here, so I can understand why we’d feel that he was worth a gamble. We rolled the dice on him being able to produce at a high level for another season or two. It was just typical of our luck that - having been bulletproof in St Louis - he immediately suffered a horrible high ankle sprain here (in his first game?) and failed to produce because he couldn’t get/stay healthy...

53 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Not sure why you and “everybody” thought that, as he had 10 sacks the year before in ATL. 

I guess in hindsite, we should have gone into full rebuilding mode after letting Abe, Turner et al walk instead of signing washed up Osi, Steven Jackson, etc. 

Everybody, including all the NFL front offices thought that because 1) he disappeared for stretches, and tallied most of those sacks agsinst inferior talent.2) He was injured AGAIN, at age 35 3) his.alcoholism had.gotten.worse.  So his play showed decline before getting injured AGAIN. His personal life was.a.red.flag. 

If anyone thought he was capable.of.what he did in.2013 he would have gotten offers.from teams. **** noone thought he could play more.than half.a.season. Ari signed him on a. "Two" year deal worth 4.6m. After 2013 tbey coukd have cut him a d saved 3 m in cap. So the most ANYONE believed in him was a measley one year deal worth 1.6m,.with an option to pick up a.second year. Arizona got lucky for one year because guess what? He was ijured again after 2013. I dont recall.a.single.person ssying I bet he has a better year in.Arizona.  Even Arizona didnt think that.

Vandy likes this

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

That is what I thought we were doing. Tony was supposed to retire. We let Abraham and Turner go. I thought for sure we were going to rebuild. I hated bringing in Jackson and Osi and talking Tony into coming back for 1 more year.

Vandy likes this

9 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Everybody, including all the NFL front offices thought that because 1) he disappeared for stretches, and tallied most of those sacks agsinst inferior talent.2) He was injured AGAIN, at age 35 3) his.alcoholism had.gotten.worse.  So his play showed decline before getting injured AGAIN. His personal life was.a.red.flag. 

If anyone thought he was capable.of.what he did in.2013 he would have gotten offers.from teams. **** noone thought he could play more.than half.a.season. Ari signed him on a. "Two" year deal worth 4.6m. After 2013 tbey coukd have cut him a d saved 3 m in cap. So the most ANYONE believed in him was a measley one year deal worth 1.6m,.with an option to pick up a.second year. Arizona got lucky for one year because guess what? He was ijured again after 2013. I dont recall.a.single.person ssying I bet he has a better year in.Arizona.  Even Arizona didnt think that.

I didn’t. :) I was very vocal that we would regret letting him get away. 

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That is what I thought we were doing. Tony was supposed to retire. We let Abraham and Turner go. I thought for sure we were going to rebuild. I hated bringing in Jackson and Osi and talking Tony into coming back for 1 more year.

Very true. You get that close to ring, I guess you just can’t chunk everything and let it go until it becomes obvious.

But we did it again coming into  2014. That’s when I knew we needed a new direction, from top on down. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Why go into a full rebuild to replace.a.few key positions? Osi, SJa x werent  bad ideas for stopgaps. They just didnt live up to the lofty expec tations placed.on them. It.took.a.couple years but we.replaced.thise.positions and won the NFC CG in 2016. Obviously shoukdnt have went into.a.full rebuild. There is no replacing an abraham or Gonzo though

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I didn’t. :) I was very vocal hat we would regret letting him get away. 

Well you shoukd have bought a !ottery ticket. He didnt just suprise our f.o., He suprised every front office.

Vandy likes this

9 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Why go into a full rebuild to replace.a.few key positions? Osi, SJa x werent  bad ideas for stopgaps. They just didnt live up to the lofty expec tations placed.on them. It.took.a.couple years but we.replaced.thise.positions and won the NFC CG in 2016. Obviously shoukdnt have went into.a.full rebuild. There is no replacing an abraham or Gonzo though

There was nothing about 32 year old Osi coming off a 6 sack season to think he would be as good as...much less an upgrade....over Abe. 

SJax was signed as a 30 year old RB. Everybody knows RBs fall off a cliff at 30. 

We were an old, depleted of talent team my man after 4 straight years of bad drafting. It all caught up with us in 2013.

Falconsfan567 likes this

16 minutes ago, Vandy said:

There was nothing about 32 year old Osi coming off a 6 sack season to think he would be as good as...much less an upgrade....over Abe. 

SJax was signed as a 30 year old RB. Everybody knows RBs fall off a cliff at 30. 

We were an old, depleted of talent team my man after 4 straight years of bad drafting. It all caught up with us in 2013.

Doesn't even address the OL that needed to be completely rebuild but instead we ignored it. Dude is talking about the 2016 NFCCG but how many starters left from 2012 did we have? Only a few. Dan Quinn completely overhauled the roster because he had no choice.

Vandy and Yo_Lover like this

24 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Well you shoukd have bought a !ottery ticket. He didnt just suprise our f.o., He suprised every front office.

I don’t gamble, just rational logic. He was coming off a 10 sack season and looked strong all year until Smitty foolishly played him in that meaningless Tampa game. 

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Not true. Fans are worried most about the here and now. 

Team took care of both.

You think that until you realize you have no depth and go 7-9