g-dawg

PFT: Mike Florio on Julio Contract Negotiations

76 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, JDFIII said:

So, you were in the room? Did you record it? This is all about leverage man. When a billionaire owner, who's banking account these checks come from, steps into the public, and says what he did, it undercuts his GM's ability to negotiate. I believe that is where this whole discussion got started. You can have conspiracy theory if you want about Kraft, but this was Blank putting it out there for public consumption. But, ok....lol.

Again read about the Jimmy G trade. Kraft pushed for it because Brady felt threatened. 

And no one is talking about the Julio leverage here. You said TD has "less power" than we think, and brought Pioli into it as if he had more than TD for some reason.

2 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Or Blank knows TD will get it done and knows Julio is important to the organization. 

This, they assume Blank made that statement for kicks and giggles. For all we know TD told him he's going to get it done no matter what and Blank made that statement.

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Again read about the Jimmy G trade. Kraft pushed for it because Brady felt threatened. 

And no one is talking about the Julio leverage here. You said TD has "less power" than we think, and brought Pioli into it as if he had more than TD for some reason.

Pushing for a free agent to be signed, and declaring that you will be a Falcon for life is different. One is a contract that the owner is saying he wants to be done to bring a guy in. The team still has some leverage because the player knows they want him, but, they didn't declare it in the media that they will do it no matter what, and that it will get done, whatever the cost. Saying you will be a Falcon for life is stating that no matter what anyone else will offer you, we will beat it. That does indeed cut TD's legs out from underneath him. I also said that there are 25 other teams in which the owners let the GM make the football decisions. If the owner does not like it, they change front office personnel. Blank stepped into that TD's role when he made that blanket statement. He made the decision publicly, before the contract was, or even still is done. If there are any negotiations going on, all Julio's agent has to do is point to that quote and say "Keep Going.....Blank Promised".

ButSkiuup likes this

Pioli I said, possibly left because Arthur was sticking his nose in and declaring what will happen. That does not allow the GM or his co-workers to do there job in evaluating and building the roster the way they see it should be done.

ButSkiuup likes this

2 hours ago, Osiruz said:

When you get a once in a decade player like Julio you shutup an pay the man. No and's if's or buts or muttering underneath your breath. He makes the team legit, and got the fans to take pride in the team. 

This is straight fan talk . If you’re a NFL GM you shut up & weigh all your options unless said player is 25-28 before giving him the world . 

JDFIII and ButSkiuup like this

5 hours ago, JDFIII said:

Julio's quote gives us some insight on Dimitroff's position here. Blank said it will get done, so, Julio doesn't have to worry. That is a telling description of Dimitroff's say/power in this organization. I believe it implies that TD is a signifiganty less powerful voice that his contemporaries. I think it may also be why a contributing reason why Pioli left.

This is a really aggressive assumption off of essentially a 2 sentence statement

JDaveG likes this

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

http://www.nfl.com/player/larryfitzgerald/2506106/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/jerryrice/2502642/careerstats

http://www.nfl.com/player/terrellowens/2502377/careerstats

good grief Vandy.  don't be simplistic.  Julio is going into his age 30 season, he is still in his prime.  With health, he probably still has 3 yrs in his prime.   He is gonna fall off.    I think you would agree that the three receivers listed above are some of the all-time greats.  While all three had some productive years after age 32 - you can see w/ all of them the consistency and ability to be at THE TOP of the profession past that age - there is a dropoff.

Father time is undefeated.  The next three years, with health, Julio should maintain his elite status.  If we extend Julio out to age 33, 34, 35 - there is going to be a dropoff - it will happen - regardless of any pithy comments you make.

I believe Julio can be like these three guys above - Fitz/Rice/TO - in that he can be productive in the "drop-off" years - but I don't believe he will be elite in those drop-off years - he won't be at the top of the NFL then - but if the extension goes past those years at $20mm/yr - we could be paying him as so.

Good grief Brother G, I didn’t realize my truth stubbed your toes.....

of course Father Time is undefeated, where did you get from my post that I said Julio was immune from that? Again, My point was directed at those TAFTers who have been proclaiming his deteriorating skills for last 3 years running...

If you weren’t one of the ones making those absurd comments....which ratcheted up to their highest volumes last year during his “holdout” during OTAs.....then don’t be so sensitive and let me have my fun. :ninja:

Ovie_Lover and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

This is straight fan talk . If you’re a NFL GM you shut up & weigh all your options unless said player is 25-28 before giving him the world . 

Exactly. Julio trying to pull a fast one knowing he about to be old and Blank is buying it like an all day sucker 

GeorgiaBoyz likes this

18 hours ago, g-dawg said:

must have missed that one......haven't seen anyone make that argument.

So you missed the 50 threads during 2018 offseason when he “held out” during OTAs? 

ATLSlobberKnockers and JDaveG like this

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

Been hearing this “Injury-prone Julio is gonna decline soon” navel-gazing in TAFT for 3 years now....and he keeps on rolling...

Get ready though. If Julio posts, say, a 75 rec, 1200 yard, 10 TD 2019 campaign (even if CR18 also posted a 1,000 yard season), critics will claim Julio is declining (because the yards and receptions are down) and we shouldn't have redone the contract.

Vandy likes this

18 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You missed the 50 threads during 2018 offseason when he “held out” during OTAs? 

Thankfully yes :rolleyes:

I only click on threads that interest me - I tend to focus more on draft and team building stuff.

Vandy likes this

5 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

If you say it every year you will be right. If you say he wont every year you will be wrong. Folks playing the waiting game on julio

Makes for some interesting side bets.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Have said it since before Julio came into the league. From a physicality standpoint, he’s most comparable to Owens. He will have similar longevity barring some crazy injury.

i do think Julio has done a better job the past few years of knowing when to and when not to take big hits. Granted he still gets nicked up, but he hasn’t missed as many games and I think that’s played a part.

6 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Basically at some point in the future he's not going to demand double/triple coverage on every play and can be singled up.

When that happens the whole dynamic of the offense will change.

If the offensive line can block, it won’t matter.

7 hours ago, athell said:

Brees and Brady have been on their last year for like 7 years now...

THIS IS THE YEAR!

Still waiting on @MAD597 to tell me how many games Julio has missed due to "foot issues".  Apparently it's every single year, I don't know if you have heard Vandy.

Julio finally got that bunion chopped off his foot this offseason. Evidently it was extremely gnarly and he played with it all year last year. I think we might have ourselves a Julio at 100% this season. Something we haven’t had for quite awhile. 

ATLSlobberKnockers and athell like this

3 hours ago, No.11 said:

Get ready though. If Julio posts, say, a 75 rec, 1200 yard, 10 TD 2019 campaign (even if CR18 also posted a 1,000 yard season), critics will claim Julio is declining (because the yards and receptions are down) and we shouldn't have redone the contract.

If he puts up 2k yards people will complain saying that we zero in on him too much and the offense would be better(more balanced) without him. Every narrative under.the sun is pushed about Julio  by someone.

TheFatboi, No.11, Ovie_Lover and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, shock said:

Julio finally got that bunion chopped off his foot this offseason. Evidently it was extremely gnarly and he played with it all year last year. I think we might have ourselves a Julio at 100% this season. Something we haven’t had for quite awhile. 

We got Julio 100% most of last year. Missing the time he did in the off season and working out with TO had Julio playing healthier than he’s been in a few years starting the season. That’s why I never mind him skipping. 

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

You haven’t been paying attention then. 

nope - glad to say I haven't.   If you guys haven't noticed - I haven't been on TATF a ton lately.   I have been more in the Hawks and College Football forum and over at DawgNation - of course you couldn't know all of this.

I get bored w/ TATF usually from July-August as it is the doldrums of the NFL schedule - came back since all the contract signings w/ Grady/Debo and Julio next.

I can honestly say that I'm not one of the fans that hate the player for squeezing the team, especially if said player is a bonafide playmaker. It's not easy for players to make it to the NFL and then have longevity, so why not play the teams checkbook for all it's worth for the short time they're here. Teams and the NFL in general, make a lot more money than the Superstar players ever will, and their business practices are way more hard-nosed and self-centered than even the most demanding of players. So, I certainly understand where Julio is coming from. I also know that AB is not going to let his rep take a hit for not taking care of his prized players. I expect Julio's new deal to an OBJ type deal for 5 years. Every big contract is risky, but the Falcons as of late seem to know how to handle these situations.

7 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

We got Julio 100% most of last year. Missing the time he did in the off season and working out with TO had Julio playing healthier than he’s been in a few years starting the season. That’s why I never mind him skipping. 

He wasnt at 100% most of last year because he had a giant bunion on his foot, did you not read my post? lol 

18 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Basically at some point in the future he's not going to demand double/triple coverage on every play and can be singled up.

When that happens the whole dynamic of the offense will change.

Our new # 1 WR is still playing high school ball I think Julio has 2-3 elite years left. Do a 4 year deal with an out in 3 and you won’t overpay a dime.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:12 PM, shock said:

Wait, really? He had bunion surgery after the SB and that put his offseason behind for the 2017 regular season. Never heard of him having bunion surgery again after 2018.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:19 PM, ButSkiuup said:

Exactly. Julio trying to pull a fast one knowing he about to be old and Blank is buying it like an all day sucker 

Lol.

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Xfactor said:

Our new # 1 WR is still playing high school ball I think Julio has 2-3 elite years left. Do a 4 year deal with an out in 3 and you won’t overpay a dime.

AND you have an option to.trade on that final year. A contender that loses a wr might really over.pay for Julio at even 80% of his prime. KC got a really good deal for Gonzalez. He wzs aroumd.80% of his prime but was still a top 5 tight end.

by that time Ridley will be a formidable.#1 wr in his prime. 

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers