g-dawg

PFT: Mike Florio on Julio Contract Negotiations

76 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Please don't quote the entire OP

Honestly didn't read most of it. My apologies. I was stating what I thought when I first heard the quote a few days back.

I am still amazed what Julio is able to do with a BOLT in his foot.    Remember when they had to replace the bolt because he put so much torque on his foot that it broke the bolt (remember the docs saying that Julio shouldn't have been able to break the bolt).   #freakazoid

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

I am still amazed what Julio is able to do with a BOLT in his foot.    Remember when they had to replace the bolt because he put so much torque on his foot that it broke the bolt.   #freakazoid

He finished his last season at Alabama with a broken foot, and then did what he did at the combine too. Then he got it fixed. He has a massively high pain tolerance.

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, JDFIII said:

Julio's quote gives us some insight on Dimitroff's position here. Blank said it will get done, so, Julio doesn't have to worry. That is a telling description of Dimitroff's say/power in this organization. I believe it implies that TD is a signifiganty less powerful voice that his contemporaries. I think it may also be why a contributing reason why Pioli left.

Of course TD has less power than the owner. Blank hired TD after all.

Ovie_Lover likes this

1 hour ago, JDFIII said:

Julio's quote gives us some insight on Dimitroff's position here. Blank said it will get done, so, Julio doesn't have to worry. That is a telling description of Dimitroff's say/power in this organization. I believe it implies that TD is a signifiganty less powerful voice that his contemporaries. I think it may also be why a contributing reason why Pioli left.

That's a really bad take btw

FalconsIn2020 likes this

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don't disagree - just saying at some point what we agree to pay him now will be a burden much later.   Won't be a problem now per se.

Of course, but we short changed him for a while. I am sure the runny colored yellow ones and the Panties will be happy to back up the brinks truck like:

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Of course, but we short changed him for a while. I am sure the runny colored yellow ones and the Panties will be happy to back up the brinks truck like:

but this is the point of Florio - your first sentence.  We will be partially overpaying Julio going forward for what he has done in the past.   Obviously no one knows for sure what future production will be - at this point, we don't know what the contract would be.

My goal for the Falcons would be to pay Julio no more than average of like $20mm/yr (on average) and have the guarantee low enough where we are only effectively guaranteeing spot/pay for 3 more years w/ team option for the rest.   In other words, Falcons could cut Julio after three years with little to no cap ramifications.

Before someone responds with the "How Dare You talk about cutting Julio?" and gets all up in their feelings - I love Julio as much as any of you - I am speaking from 100% business perspective here.   I would like to see Julio retire a Falcon and play up to about 35/36 if he still can be effective and want to play that long - much like what Larry Fitzgerald is doing now. - looking at Fitz - he will be 36yrs old to start the season - and he is making $11mm/yr.   I just hope we will only be paying Julio in this range (or salary cap adjusted in this range) 5 years from now if still on team.

When all is said and done, Julio will register as one of the all-time greats at WR, if he hasn’t already.

I think when you have that type of stature, it’s tough for the Falcons to have any stance in contract negotiations that suggests they are expecting a drop off in play from him considering he’s just turned 30.  Larry Fitzgerald went for 109/1156/6 in his Age 34 season, which would happen for Julio in 2023, 5 seasons from now including the upcoming one. 

From my POV, I don’t think the Falcons have much of a leg to stand on with regard to de-positioning Julio’s long term value to the franchise.

Vandy and Osiruz like this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I am still amazed what Julio is able to do with a BOLT in his foot.    Remember when they had to replace the bolt because he put so much torque on his foot that it broke the bolt (remember the docs saying that Julio shouldn't have been able to break the bolt).   #freakazoid

It’s akin to Zion breaking out of his shoe.  Except J.J. is a far better athlete so he broke out of his actual foot.  Wow

g-dawg likes this

14 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

When all is said and done, Julio will register as one of the all-time greats at WR, if he hasn’t already.

I think when you have that type of stature, it’s tough for the Falcons to have any stance in contract negotiations that suggests they are expecting a drop off in play from him considering he’s just turned 30.  Larry Fitzgerald went for 109/1156/6 in his Age 34 season, which would happen for Julio in 2023, 5 seasons from now including the upcoming one. 

From my POV, I don’t think the Falcons have much of a leg to stand on with regard to de-positioning Julio’s long term value to the franchise.

The Falcons will have an out built into the contract around 2022.  Of that I am certain.  This seems likely:

• Signing bonus: $25 million ($12.5 million with 10 days of execution; $12.5 million payable on 4/15/2020)
  • Guaranteed money: $50.526 million
  • Fully guaranteed at signing: $37.526 million
  • New money total: $60 million ($81.026 million over 5 years)
  • Contract length: Three-year extension
  • Average per year: $20 millio

We would pick up $3.5 million of 2019 cap room with the renegotiated contract. Jones' 2020 cap number increases by $5 million because of the addition of signing bonus proration with his scheduled salary next year staying the same. The cap numbers in the last four years of the deal are fairly manageable given the size of the contract. There isn't a big variance in those years.

Also, we could exit the deal in 2022 after Jones' guarantees run out without adverse cap consequences if necessary. There would be a $10 million cap charge from the bonus proration in the final years, which would result in a gain of $9.5 million in cap space. Jones would have earned $29.5 million more than he is scheduled to make under his existing contract for playing one additional year.

12 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

you always have a leg to stand on when the player is under contract for multiple seasons - which is the case for Julio.     

2 hours ago, JDFIII said:

I think that might be a stretch.. there is always an employee or two the owner wont allow you to fire .. Julio is one of those guys 

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

TD’s role and power within the organization is criminally under valued

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

Thank you for the input.

3 minutes ago, JDFIII said:

Thank you for the input.

Since you're part of the "Pioli held TD's hand" crowd. Answer me this, why doesn't he have a job? 

I remember posters here saying he already made a deal with the Jets looooollllll

GeorgiaBoyz likes this

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Since you're part of the "Pioli held TD's hand" crowd. Answer me this, why doesn't he have a job? 

I remember posters here saying he already made a deal with the Jets looooollllll

That’s my bad.  I thought he did

4 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

That’s my bad.  I thought he did

I don't remember if you posted that but I think it was GDawg who started that and TATF ran with it. But nowhere at all was he ever even linked to that job. Tried telling everyone but naaahhh he's gonna turn the Jets around like he did us. Unemployed now.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

You assume too much. I don't believe Pioli held his hand. I believe TD saw a good relationship from the past, and wanted to work with SP again. I think Pioli is a good mind and I think TD, when given the chance, has proven a better one. TD is a group guy in that he likes to collaborate. I believe that is what makes he and DQ a great fit. I was stating how I read Julio's comment, and how telling it seems to be about who is truly deciding on Julio's contract. I would say that 25 of the 32 teams operate differently than that. There are your Ursays and Sniders though. Kraft does not tell Belicheck that this player or that will be Patriots for life.

Just now, JDFIII said:

You assume too much. I don't believe Pioli held his hand. I believe TD saw a good relationship from the past, and wanted to work with SP again. I think Pioli is a good mind and I think TD, when given the chance, has proven a better one. TD is a group guy in that he likes to collaborate. I believe that is what makes he and DQ a great fit. I was stating how I read Julio's comment, and how telling it seems to be about who is truly deciding on Julio's contract. I would say that 25 of the 32 teams operate differently than that. There are your Ursays and Sniders though. Kraft does not tell Belicheck that this player or that will be Patriots for life.

You clearly didn't read about the Jimmy trade if you think Kraft doesn't meddle. 

Marco102 likes this

1 minute ago, JDFIII said:

Also to say TD has "less power" than we think because the TEAM OWNER tells him to sign a player is ridiculous. The guy is above everyone, how does him telling TD what to do make TD less powerful?

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

You clearly didn't read about the Jimmy trade if you think Kraft doesn't meddle. 

You clearly like to argue. I said that Kraft doesn't make statements like Blank did. Kraft has never said, "Player X will be a patriot for life."

2 minutes ago, JDFIII said:

You clearly like to argue. I said that Kraft doesn't make statements like Blank did. Kraft has never said, "Player X will be a patriot for life."

Just because he didn't do it publicly doesn't mean he doesn't do it. But ok lol.

2 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Or Blank knows TD will get it done and knows Julio is important to the organization. 

Quite elementary. Good post.

Ovie_Lover likes this

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Just because he didn't do it publicly doesn't mean he doesn't do it. But ok lol.

So, you were in the room? Did you record it? This is all about leverage man. When a billionaire owner, who's banking account these checks come from, steps into the public, and says what he did, it undercuts his GM's ability to negotiate. I believe that is where this whole discussion got started. You can have conspiracy theory if you want about Kraft, but this was Blank putting it out there for public consumption. But, ok....lol.

ButSkiuup likes this