vel

Pre-Training Camp Predictions

25 posts in this topic

There has been a lot of chatter around here about what people expect from the season, both optimistic and pessimistic. I wanted to make a thread that held all of the boards predictions before training camp started. That way, we're all flying as blind as possible with our predictions. 

I'll start with one:

I think the defense will look and feel totally different than what we're used to. We've moved on from guys like Alford and Poole, while getting the core of the group back in Rico, Debo, and Neal. During the 2018 season, some guys got a chance to get some valuable developmental playing time (Kazee, Oliver, Foye). As a result, the group is deeper than we realize. I think DQ sees that and is tweaking the defense as such. 

For instance, I expect we'll see a set on third and longs, where Rico and Kazee are the "safeties", Debo and Neal are the LBs, Trufant and Oliver are the boundary CBs, Campbell is a free roaming LB/EDGE, and Vic, Takk, Grady, and Clayborn are rushing. With a look like this, you have a LOT of speed and coverage ability on the fied while also being able to man up on any offensive personnel while not giving them a true look as to who is doing what. That group can play the run and pass equally, in the event the offense tries to audible. You literally have your very best talent all on the field. Put them in man coverage, send Campbell for a five man pressure look and you have a very good package. 

That's just one example. I think DQ is going to shift this thing to a more press man system with heavy pressure looks given the lack of defined EDGE play. Look at the Rams this past year, the Ravens of recent years, the Broncos during their SB run, etc. Man coverage teams who can be malleable on the back end and match up with various types of offensive personnel, while sending pressure packages when needed. That's exactly what the Rams did to beat the Saints. That's what the Cowboys did to beat the Saints.

That's my prediction. What you got? 

I was trying to pick out the parts of your post to comment on.

Well the entire post is great......So.

Thank you for the insite and analysis.

19 minutes ago, vel said:

There has been a lot of chatter around here about what people expect from the season, both optimistic and pessimistic. I wanted to make a thread that held all of the boards predictions before training camp started. That way, we're all flying as blind as possible with our predictions. 

I'll start with one:

I think the defense will look and feel totally different than what we're used to. We've moved on from guys like Alford and Poole, while getting the core of the group back in Rico, Debo, and Neal. During the 2018 season, some guys got a chance to get some valuable developmental playing time (Kazee, Oliver, Foye). As a result, the group is deeper than we realize. I think DQ sees that and is tweaking the defense as such. 

For instance, I expect we'll see a set on third and longs, where Rico and Kazee are the "safeties", Debo and Neal are the LBs, Trufant and Oliver are the boundary CBs, Campbell is a free roaming LB/EDGE, and Vic, Takk, Grady, and Clayborn are rushing. With a look like this, you have a LOT of speed and coverage ability on the fied while also being able to man up on any offensive personnel while not giving them a true look as to who is doing what. That group can play the run and pass equally, in the event the offense tries to audible. You literally have your very best talent all on the field. Put them in man coverage, send Campbell for a five man pressure look and you have a very good package. 

That's just one example. I think DQ is going to shift this thing to a more press man system with heavy pressure looks given the lack of defined EDGE play. Look at the Rams this past year, the Ravens of recent years, the Broncos during their SB run, etc. Man coverage teams who can be malleable on the back end and match up with various types of offensive personnel, while sending pressure

My predictions:

Foye is going to be a break out star on Defense. Make his first Pro Bowl.

Ollison will get more playing time than anyone expected and be in the running for OROY.

Oliver will have a great year at corner. This board will be very happy with his play.

I predict Matt Ryan is going to have to seek medical help, because he will have so much time behind the line to find his receivers, he's going to come down with a sudden case of attention deficit disorder and forget what he's supposed to be doing half the time.

8 minutes ago, octoslash said:

I predict Matt Ryan is going to have to seek medical help, because he will have so much time behind the line to find his receivers, he's going to come down with a sudden case of attention deficit disorder and forget what he's supposed to be doing half the time.

:lol:

papachaz likes this

27 minutes ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Foye is going to be a break out star on Defense. Make his first Pro Bowl.

Looking good for another steal on D. Exciting what he was able to do last year. Coaching and will to excel.

No sleeping on this player.

16 hours ago, octoslash said:

Matt Ryan photoshopped in here:

tenor.gif?itemid=3478694

Rookie oline will take its lumps all year especially starting with Minny and Philly :tiphat:

My prediction is that the D-Line is going to be lights out. Senat, Grady, Davison, Crawford, Hageman are going to be the anchors this team needs to create the outside pressure DQ is looking for. Takk is going to take a huge step forward and get double digit sacks. The othe 2 DE's that make any kind of impact are AC and Cominsky(sp?)

All this is going to allow our Offense lead the league in TOP and grind down and wear out teams

1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

Free is gonna be comeback player of the year and rush for over 1000 yards 

39 minutes ago, Flyin' In DC said:

My prediction is that the D-Line is going to be lights out. Senat, Grady, Davison, Crawford, Hageman are going to be the anchors this team needs to create the outside pressure DQ is looking for. Takk is going to take a huge step forward and get double digit sacks. The othe 2 DE's that make any kind of impact are AC and Cominsky(sp?)

All this is going to allow our Offense lead the league in TOP and grind down and wear out teams

If these two ambitious predictions come to fruition, we're going to have a monster season. 

53 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

Rookie oline will take its lumps all year especially starting with Minny and Philly :tiphat:

Rookie oline? What 'rookie oline'? 

There will most likely be one single rookie on it.  

8 minutes ago, octoslash said:

If these two ambitious predictions come to fruition, we're going to have a monster season. 

My glass is 3/4 full :shrug:

14 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Rookie oline? What 'rookie oline'? 

There will most likely be one single rookie on it.  

Ok. Have a great day! 

I think both lines will look surprisingly good- The Oline because they're several vets who can play immediately if the rooks aren't ready, and because playing  besides the RT they'll have a TE that's basically  a 6th Olineman who can also catch a pass. Not to mention Ryan's ability to get the ball out quick and his masterful play action.

DLine will look good because of the quality depth- the run stuffers- Senat/Davidson- will allow the pass rushers to play fewer snaps. They're be an extensive rotation to everyone fresh. The back 7 will be much improved with everyone back and the experience the youngsters got last year. And the offense will make teams be one dimensional.

Think this team rolls from the start of the season and just demolishes several of the teams they play. When they reach the postseason, they take it up a notch.

Last time Ryan was in the playoffs, he was spending every night at the hospital because his wife was in danger of losing the twins. He was sleeping at the hospital, watching game film there, going over game plans there.  His play showed he was distracted, that won't be the case this year.

Think they roll through the playoffs as well, and we all finally get the rest we need, the Saints and Bucs fans will no longer be able to play the no ring card, Ryan finally gets recognized as elite, no questions asked.

VTCrunkler, Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

I think both lines will look surprisingly good- The Oline because they're several vets who can play immediately if the rooks aren't ready, and because playing  besides the RT they'll have a TE that's basically  a 6th Olineman who can also catch a pass. Not to mention Ryan's ability to get the ball out quick and his masterful play action.

DLine will look good because of the quality depth- the run stuffers- Senat/Davidson- will allow the pass rushers to play fewer snaps. They're be an extensive rotation to everyone fresh. The back 7 will be much improved with everyone back and the experience the youngsters got last year. And the offense will make teams be one dimensional.

Think this team rolls from the start of the season and just demolishes several of the teams they play. When they reach the postseason, they take it up a notch.

Last time Ryan was in the playoffs, he was spending every night at the hospital because his wife was in danger of losing the twins. He was sleeping at the hospital, watching game film there, going over game plans there.  His play showed he was distracted, that won't be the case this year.

Think they roll through the playoffs as well, and we all finally get the rest we need, the Saints and Bucs fans will no longer be able to play the no ring card, Ryan finally gets recognized as elite, no questions asked.

I honestly don't think this will ever happen, unfortunately!

57 minutes ago, falconidae said:

It will with a ring.

I hope you are right, but I'm not expecting it. I already think he is elite, but a lot of others don't. I think a few of them will soften their stance on him if  when he gets a ring, but most will think he got lucky or it was because of the other players around him. Getting a ring doesn't mean you are elite, ask Brad Johnson, and not having a ring doesn't mean you are not elite, ask Dan Marion.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

It will with a ring.

Ryan won’t win a ring unless he goes to another team 

8 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

You’re sounding more and more like a troll

Let’s revisit this in 7 years and see who’s right. The window closed when we started having to pay the outstanding players on defense.

You window is either A, cheap outstanding QB on rookie contract who you can afford to surrounded by talent. IE Browns Rams Chiefs Ravens Eagles Bears Texans Cowboys

or B, great veteran QB with cheap young talent on defense/offense around him. IE Pats Saints Chargers Colts

We are now neither and missed the window. IE Vikings Steelers Raiders Giants Packers Panthers Bengals Broncos

1 hour ago, ButSkiuup said:

Let’s revisit this in 7 years and see who’s right. The window closed when we started having to pay the outstanding players on defense.

You window is either A, cheap outstanding QB on rookie contract who you can afford to surrounded by talent. IE Browns Rams Chiefs Ravens Eagles Bears Texans Cowboys

or B, great veteran QB with cheap young talent on defense/offense around him. IE Pats Saints Chargers Colts

We are now neither and missed the window. IE Vikings Steelers Raiders Giants Packers Panthers Bengals Broncos

Window is definitely not missed yet. 

Yo_Lover likes this

I know we have a training camp thread already, but given my pre-camp prediction, I just saw this tweet and couldn't not share:

If you can see it, we have Vic, Takk, Grady, and Clayborn rushing the passer. We have Trufant manned up. We have Campbell free roaming. We have Oluokon faking a blitz. I can't see the other players, but it's dam close to what I expected to see. A ton of talented players on the field, pressure was brought, and the OL has to make the right calls and adjust on the fly. 

Ergo Proxy and falconidae like this