Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RichardCNile

Preseason? wha-PrEseason!?!

20 posts in this topic

Preseason is one of those things I hate to watch ever since MV7 got tackled from behind by the Ravens and our hopeful season when down the drain.  

This year I will be watching and re-watching with the coaches clicker and he's why:

1. O-Line - There is no preseason for O-Line and D-Line.  When you line up 12 inches from someone in a 3 point stance, there is no pre-season.  Every snap is the real-deal and a battle.  Add to that our Rooks and new FA's have something to prove.  Add to that our O-Line has something to prove.  Yes the Defenses will not be blitz happy, but they will be playing full speed and we should get a good first look at some basic math of can our O-Line push their D-Line backwards, open holes for RB and build a brick pocket for MR2.  If they look great in Preseason, it doesn't mean they will be great in regular season, but the opposite is true... if they look like trash and get pushed into the backfield in preseason; we can go ahead and hit the panic button or pull the ejection handle.  

2.  DB's - Another position where there is no preseason.  The opponents Offense will throw the ball and our DB's will be covering and tackling.  I'm eager to see what Oliver looks like this season and also what Kendall Sheffield and Jordan Miller's game speed looks like on the field against NFL calibre competition.  After the injuries last year, I want to see how  KONeil and Rico look on the field. I'm also eager to see what the new DB nickel lineup looks like together (Tru/Oliver, Rico/KONeil, Kazee)  

3.  RB Depth - I'm eager to see Q Ollison tote the rock.  I've heard great things, but when I watch his highlights, I don't see him trucking ppl like I expected based on the scouting reports.  Again, everyone says he will/can be that 'big back' for short yardage, so I'll be watching to see how he looks.  

4.  John Cominsky - Everybody seems high on him, Yes he's a hard worker and athletic, but can he fight through an NFL Tackle to make a get pressure/sack or can he even hold the line against an OT, TE and/or FB on a run play?  

Will you be watching?  If so, what and who will you be watching for?  

Osiruz, octoslash and mountain_jim3 like this

I have concerns about Oliver.  Yes he has the size and talent but he hasn't shown (my opinion) yet that he's a solid starter quality corner, and that's a vital piece of what Quinn is trying to build. If we're bad at corner, it weakens the entire defense and it's a hard position to just plug a different guy in and fix.  

I think many of us are expecting the new O-line to make an immediate improvement, and that's probably not what we'll see right off the bat, so it'll be interesting watching them progress, and fun watching posters on this board having daily panic attacks.  lol 

The Great American likes this

1 hour ago, octoslash said:

I have concerns about Oliver.  Yes he has the size and talent but he hasn't shown (my opinion) yet that he's a solid starter quality corner, and that's a vital piece of what Quinn is trying to build. If we're bad at corner, it weakens the entire defense and it's a hard position to just plug a different guy in and fix.  

I think many of us are expecting the new O-line to make an immediate improvement, and that's probably not what we'll see right off the bat, so it'll be interesting watching them progress, and fun watching posters on this board having daily panic attacks.  lol 

Agree. I feel the same way.  Hopefully the light will come on.  

octoslash likes this

With Quin calling the defense now, hopefully the Dline and LBs can start applying consistent pressure on the QB so that Oliver and company don't have to be elite DBs and can just try not to get beat.

It’s funny how every year it’s the same thing over and over....

Thinking preseason games will be one thing then you watch them and instantly remember... oh yeah it’s preseason.

Everything behind the 1st team oline is always a disaster.  Bunch of guys who have never played together playing in different positions.

Now try watching the preseason games when it’s not covered by the local broadcast team.  That’s tough.

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

I have concerns about Oliver.  Yes he has the size and talent but he hasn't shown (my opinion) yet that he's a solid starter quality corner, and that's a vital piece of what Quinn is trying to build.

29 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

Agree. I feel the same way.  Hopefully the light will come on.  

Yall are joking right? Go watch the Washington game. Go watch the second Panthers game. Did yall watch any of the games after the day they were played? 

14 minutes ago, vel said:

Yall are joking right? Go watch the Washington game. Go watch the second Panthers game. Did yall watch any of the games after the day they were played? 

I was at the Washington game.  Felt like I was watching a totally different team.

8 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

I was at the Washington game.  Felt like I was watching a totally different team.

Oliver was pretty sticky that whole game. Doctson beat him for a TD, but it was one heIl of a catch more than Oliver getting beat. Showed he is very comfortable with his back to the ball and playing the catch point. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Oliver was pretty sticky that whole game. Doctson beat him for a TD, but it was one heIl of a catch more than Oliver getting beat. Showed he is very comfortable with his back to the ball and playing the catch point. 

Feels like football season!

vel and Tim Mazetti like this

5 hours ago, vel said:

I'm not saying he's not good. I'm saying I haven't seen him as a starter perform enough to satisfy my own concern. That's all I mean. And in that position, it's so hard to get right for a young player, and if it goes wrong, your defense is in big trouble.