E. T.

Nats @ Braves

902 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Glad I had to work tonight because this game thread is pure heIl.

I worked all day, I missed the game and thread.  Hopefully we walk away this series tied, no ground lost or gained. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

5 hours ago, Malachore said:

He's talking about last year or did he do something else this year?

He did seem better in what limited time I was able to listen to him.

Hes talking about last year. He was demoted to part time because of the controversy he created last season.

Joe Ross is the confirmed SP for the Nats tonight. Ross has an 11.07 ERA in 17 games as a RP this year. Hes made 1 appearance against the Braves this year. He finished with 1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 1 BB and 1 HR allowed.

It's a marathon not a sprint. Yeah it sucks that we have had a meh week, but splitting with the Nats would be okay in my book. Their schedule is about to get a lot tougher and ours lightens up after July.

I hate that we have to have these down slumps in season, but they happen

Man I hope Gausman has it figured out. If he could get back to pitching like he did for us last year it would be a huge boost for the rest of the season.

tl;dr and Falconsfan567 like this

It's a big game for Gausman. Hes coming in with 2 new pitches. How effective he is with those will determine if we can count on him.

50 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Man I hope Gausman has it figured out. If he could get back to pitching like he did for us last year it would be a huge boost for the rest of the season.

Yeah those 2 pitches are going to be key for him. If he can get them developed, we may have something. Who knows, maybe this is his turning point in his career

3 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Yeah those 2 pitches are going to be key for him. If he can get them developed, we may have something. Who knows, maybe this is his turning point in his career

It is, one way or another. Hes either going to be a 4 pitch SP or a RP.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Joe Ross is the confirmed SP for the Nats tonight. Ross has an 11.07 ERA in 17 games as a RP this year. Hes made 1 appearance against the Braves this year. He finished with 1 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 1 BB and 1 HR allowed.

May have to win the game 10-9 tonight with Ross and Gausmann pitching.   Time for our bats to wake up for sure.  3-4 runs a game ain’t gonna cut it most nights

40 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

It is, one way or another. Hes either going to be a 4 pitch SP or a RP.

Hopefully the former. A SP helps us more IMO. We have some decent pen arms (Newk, Webb, Swarzak, and even Luke), but I would feel a lot better if they only had to cover 2/3 innings a night instead of 4 a night.

Regardless, I still hope we add a SP and RP even if Gausman gets it turned around.

But let's just win tonight. 6.5 up after this series would be nice. 

Malachore likes this

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Wasn't that bad... I've seen worse

Yeah not really sure what he's talking about.

Was less than 10 comments between 3 of us. :shrug:

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Hopefully the former. A SP helps us more IMO. We have some decent pen arms (Newk, Webb, Swarzak, and even Luke), but I would feel a lot better if they only had to cover 2/3 innings a night instead of 4 a night.

Regardless, I still hope we add a SP and RP even if Gausman gets it turned around.

But let's just win tonight. 6.5 up after this series would be nice. 

Yeah the pen could be improved without even having to add someone. Snit just needs to use the guys different than he does. Swarzak or even Webb could be very good in the closers role. Have Newk be our long relief guy. Etc. He just needs to figure out who is best where and quit trying to convince himself that Luke is the closer and Touki is the long relief guy.

Edited by LouDog

4 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Wasn't that bad... I've seen worse

Just because it's been worse doesn't mean it was good.

47 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Yeah the pen could be improved without even having to add someone. Snit just needs to use the guys different than he does. Swarzak or even Webb could be very good in the closers role. Have Newk be our long relief guy. Etc. He just needs to figure out who is best where and quit trying to convince himself that Luke is the closer and Touki is the long relief guy.

I think y'all need to crumple up the idea of Swarzak in the closer's role and trash it. It's not happening, unless the Braves start losing multiple games with Luke in the closer's role and a trade doesn't happen, because Swarzak being in a fireman role in messes arguably has saved the Braves more games then Luke blown saves have costed the Braves losses. If the Braves also pay attention to analytics at least a fair share, then you can likely trash the idea of Webb as a closer too. Hate analytics all you want, but even the statcast numbers like Luke over Webb, although they also say that FIP/xFIP is underestimating Webb.

If there's not a 9th inning with a lead because we're considering the closer's role to be mythical enough that the guy you see as most trustworthy in messes is saved for it...then what are we doing here?

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Just because it's been worse doesn't mean it was good.

Didn't say it was good...I said it wasn't that bad...

Referring to your pure **** comment

Malachore likes this

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Gausman activated, Weigel sent to AAA.

How has Gausman been in AAA?

2 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Didn't say it was good...I said it wasn't that bad...

Referring to your pure **** comment

It is for someone that didn't see the game. You guys misinterpreted my comment. I wasn't talking about the posters and them overreacting. I was talking about the way the game went, it sounds like it was a cluster**** of a game with the Braves making rookie mistakes all over the place. I realize that it wasn't clear what I was referring to.

Malachore and RING OF HONOR like this

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It is for someone that didn't see the game. You guys misinterpreted my comment. I wasn't talking about the posters and them overreacting. I was talking about the way the game went, it sounds like it was a cluster**** of a game with the Braves making rookie mistakes all over the place. I realize that it wasn't clear what I was referring to.

It was a frustrating game for sure.

9 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Why tf is AJ Minter still here???

I've gotta agree, he's been so disappointing. I thought he was going to kick on from last year. 

Just now, maorifalcon said:

I've gotta agree, he's been so disappointing. I thought he was going to kick on from last year. 

Make AJ a throw-in when we trade for Mychal Givens with Baltimore.  

maorifalcon likes this