Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think Dirk Koetter's play calling is outdated for today's NFL?

93 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Kayoh do you like AY/A Value? I saw this on Twitter in late January and posted it, but you probably missed it at the time.

Lot of champions on that list except for 2. Hmmmm

Dont like Koetter.

Just google "Dirk takes over play calling". You'll see the OC who was responsible for all the nnumbers youre touting, DK replaced and then turned in the turd in Washington when DK himself called the game.

Ooooooooh, you got 500 yards of offense? Too bad you only scored THREE....THREE!!!! 

He gave the play calling back to the OC after 1 game.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 minute ago, runshoot said:

Dont like Koetter.

Just google "Dirk takes over play calling". You'll see the OC who was responsible for all the nnumbers youre touting, DK replaced and then turned in the turd in Washington when DK himself called the game.

Ooooooooh, you got 500 yards of offense? Too bad you only scored THREE....THREE!!!! 

He gave the play calling back to the OC after 1 game.

Was Winston the QB for that game? I heard his style was more suited for Fitzpatrick.

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Was Winston the QB for that game? I heard his style was more suited for Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick. He threw for 406.

The point being, The credit given to DK for TBs "scoring" should be given to the playcaller which DK was NOT.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

26 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Good perspective...

At this point I call it the Ryan offense.  It will entail all the parts of Shannanan’s Playbook that worked.  It will also include the parts Sark added that Ryan likes.  And the remaining 15-20% will be the things Koetter/Mularkey deep mesh seamlessly with the offense in place.  

Where Koetter & Shanny align is their ability to scheme explosive plays.  That’s what I’m most excited about.  Cause that’s very difficult part of playcalling.  Sure, Julio can beat the CB1.  But to scheme open less talented players is an art form

Sark wasn't bad at that.  Honestly, get me a run game and a red zone scoring offense and Sark's offense would have been unstoppable.  That's kind of where I think Koetter helps.  He's an honest NFL coordinator with a ton of experience.  He knows how to score points.

56 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think there's a vast excluded middle in the discussion.  It seems to center on people who think we're transitioning to a Coryell system (we aren't) and those who think we're using the exact same playbook Shanahan left behind (we aren't).

What's happening is the coaches are learning the terminology, and moving forward they will incorporate things they like to do into the offensive scheme, using the existing terminology.  They also said they would work to streamline some of the terminology, a move I welcome.  My guess is it will be along the lines of what Koetter did with Mularkey's system, using E-P terminology within the concept of the existing offense, something Shanahan conveniently already did.  

Shanahan's offense today doesn't look like his offense here, and the one here didn't resemble Washington, and none of them resemble Houston.  They are, at their base, all WCOs, but the application, play calling, formations, protections, etc. all change year-to-year.  So this won't be "Shanahan's offense."  It will be Koetter's offense.  But it will be based on the existing playbook, terminology and concepts, which Koetter will then use to attack defenses.

All offenses evolve. No one is disagreeing with that. My point was that it’s not a new offense, as the poster I was responding to was claiming. Players aren’t coming in and learning a new offense... but they are learning the evolution of the falcons playbook and concepts. 

JDaveG likes this

5 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Kayoh do you like AY/A Value? I saw this on Twitter in late January and posted it, but you probably missed it at the time.

I don't even know what "AY/A Value" is and I don't follow Justis.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Sark wasn't bad at that.  Honestly, get me a run game and a red zone scoring offense and Sark's offense would have been unstoppable.  That's kind of where I think Koetter helps.  He's an honest NFL coordinator with a ton of experience.  He knows how to score points.

Sark was bad in 2017.  He did show lots of growth in 2018.  But in no universe should this talent ever be held under 20 points 5 straight games.

Heck I’m outdated for today’s NFL. I look at YouTube videos from the 60’ 70’s 80’s and 90’s and I’m like oh my god I cheered that on (80’s 90’s) mind you and we called it clean play because it was within the rules and we just understood that they were gladiators. We were wrong though. Still prefer that brand of football. I’m becoming a dinosaur though. 

Knight of God and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, ButSkiuup said:

Lot of champions on that list except for 2. Hmmmm

You sure there's only 2 that aren't champions?

10 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Heck I’m outdated for today’s NFL. I look at YouTube videos from the 60’ 70’s 80’s and 90’s and I’m like oh my god I cheered that on (80’s 90’s) mind you and we called it clean play because it was within the rules and we just understood that they were gladiators. We were wrong though. Still prefer that brand of football. I’m becoming a dinosaur though. 

That's cool.

15 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Imbalance is a mistake no matter what date. 

All things being equal, it is easier to beat the crap out of a one armed man.  That 2nd arm gives you something to consider and plan for.  

Same applies for balancing run/pass IMO.  I don’t care how well you throw the football.  Without a run threat,  you’re handicapped 

Knight of God likes this

Do you think Lombardi's coaching today would be outdated? I mean run the ball be balanced and play solid defense. So the answer is no. 

4 hours ago, Black Francis said:

That’s what I think of with football 

Black Francis likes this

18 hours ago, Black Francis said:

But one bad MF dinosaur at that!

Instead of Francy, i’m Gonna start calling you T-Rex.