Goober Pyle

Grady Jarrett, Deion Jones signed contracts this week. When will Julio Jones get his?

84 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Vandy said:

He obviously didn’t ask for enough....:ninja:

Glad to see you’re back to your normal, healthy dissing Julio self, Mash-man. 

Lol. Thanks. 

FYI for anyone who doesn't know. I only disagree with Julio on his contract. 

Vandy likes this

27 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont think this is all that likely. 

Not only is it likely, it’s probable.  The only thing that may be different is years.  5 years, 100 mill is the rumor on the streets.  But the total contract will either be 74-80 mill or 90-100 mill depending on years.  

What are you thinking the total contract will be?  I do think guaranteed money won’t be as much as people think

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

4 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

22.... No way it's less than 20. 

.... Also I think anything over 18 is idiotic to spend on anyone in that position 

I agree with this.  JJ is the best at his position, period.  But people are worth what people are wiling to pay.  I wouldn't pay him more than 18 (or any other receiver), but we probably will.  I think the WR market is going to follow what happened with RB's a few years back.  Salary's for WR will continue to grow until teams finally realize it is stupid to pay one player that touches the ball no more than 10 times per game averaged over the season, and stop paying. 

18 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I agree with this.  JJ is the best at his position, period.  But people are worth what people are wiling to pay.  I wouldn't pay him more than 18 (or any other receiver), but we probably will.  I think the WR market is going to follow what happened with RB's a few years back.  Salary's for WR will continue to grow until teams finally realize it is stupid to pay one player that touches the ball no more than 10 times per game averaged over the season, and stop paying. 

They’ve already grown more than people realize.  The franchise TAG for a WR was over 16 million this year, 3rd highest in the NFL behind QB and DE

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I wouldnt be shocked to see something like that work its way into the next CBA. Some sort of diminished cap hit for players with long team relationships or some version of NFL Bird Rights. 

so this is more likely than Julio getting $20mm/yr?    M'kay...

The Contract should look similar to this

• Signing bonus: $25 million ($12.5 million with 10 days of execution; $12.5 million payable on 4/15/2020)
  • Guaranteed money: $50.5 million
  • Fully guaranteed at signing: $37.5 million
  • New money total: $60 million ($82 million over 5 years)
  • Contract length: Three-year extension
  • Average per year: $20 million

We would pick up $3.5 million of cap room with the renegotiated contract for this year.   Jones' 2020 cap number (this is the tricky year) increases by $5 million because of the addition of signing bonus proration with his scheduled salary next year staying the same. The cap numbers in the last four years of the deal are fairly manageable given the size of the contract. There isn't a big variance in those years.

The Good: we could exit the deal in 2022 after Jones' guarantees run out without adverse cap consequences if necessary. There would be a $10 million cap charge from the bonus proration in the final years, which would result in a gain of $9.5 million in cap space. Jones would have earned $29.5 million more than he is scheduled to make under his existing contract for playing one more year

1 hour ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

They’ve already grown more than people realize.  The franchise TAG for a WR was over 16 million this year, 3rd highest in the NFL behind QB and DE

yeah, I agree.  I believe it is getting to the stopping point.  You will probably see one more round of stupid high contracts for WR and then the teams that sign them will have lousy seasons and have to start "rebuilding" and cut some of the contracts lose.  Then you will see normalizing of the market for WR and then it will settle to I-don't-know 16 - 18 million for a max contract.  But this is all really predicated on the salary cap.  If it goes up, salaries go up, if it goes down, they will drop and teams will cut high priced players to stay competitive.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

2 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

yeah, I agree.  I believe it is getting to the stopping point.  You will probably see one more round of stupid high contracts for WR and then the teams that sign them will have lousy seasons and have to start "rebuilding" and cut some of the contracts lose.  Then you will see normalizing of the market for WR and then it will settle to I-don't-know 16 - 18 million for a max contract.  But this is all really predicated on the salary cap.  If it goes up, salaries go up, if it goes down, they will drop and teams will cut high priced players to stay competitive.

The position that will start moving up is ILB (LB) and Safety.    

Posted (edited)

I’d be pissed if we pay a WR any WR more than 18 mil per year . They don’t touch the ball enough to be valued that high . 

Edited by GeorgiaBoyz

47 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I gotta believe the owners have a good idea of where the salary cap is going 3-4yrs ahead of every league year.

43 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

The position that will start moving up is ILB (LB) and Safety.    

Yup, there is always a position that makes an impact and then teams, or the rules make that position less impactful.  I think Safety is going to be the next big position salary jump, that and Oline, which you are already seeing to some extent.  QB will always be a high value system, unless we revert back to smash mouth football, which will never happen. 

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

I gotta believe the owners have a good idea of where the salary cap is going 3-4yrs ahead of every league year.

eh, I believe they listen to marketing experts, but just like every other industry out there, marketers will promise double digit, year over year growth, but that is completely unsustainable and everyone knows it.  They just don't like to admit it.  I think the NFL will reach a saturation point in the next 3 - 5 years, unless it goes international and you see the owners pushing that.  Also the 18 game schedule.  The purpose of those two things is to keep growth at 10+% every year.  You have to capture new market shares and the American public is about maxed with the NFL.  If I were an owner, I would be worried because you aren't going to be able to grow your business and it is very expensive to go international.  18 games just wont work.  If the NFL doesn't grow by 10% year over year, team values drop and revenues will drop as expenses increase.  Then the cap will drop.  It's going to happen, the question is when.  I think the NFL is at a saturation point, so I say in the next 5 years.  If they can put some teams in Europe, Canada or Mexico, maybe they can prolong that for a few years, but the NFL will contract my friend.  The laws of business say it will and nothing can stop it.

7 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I’d be pissed if we pay a WR any WR more than 18 mil per year . They don’t touch the ball enough to be valued that high . 

Julio influences every play that he's on the field for, whether or not he touches the ball. 

kiwifalcon likes this

Just now, falconidae said:

Julio influences every play that he's on the field for, whether or not he touches the ball. 

So does the Center and in more ways than Julio.  I don't see them wanting 20M a year.  Julio is playing on public perception of his value, not true value.  Yes, he is a beast and you better know where he is, but don't kid yourself.  He is not the most important player on the field even when he gets the ball.

3 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Talking about contracts using average per year salaries is doing it wrong. 

The only things that matter are the new money and the guarantee structures. Thats it. APY isnt irrelevant but its minimally useful. 

Right. That's all about bragging rights for agents and the players who want to say that they're the highest paid in the league. Julio's smarter than that. He's doing what Revis did, which is maximizing his earning potential through re-negotiations.

15 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

So does the Center and in more ways than Julio.  I don't see them wanting 20M a year.  Julio is playing on public perception of his value, not true value.  Yes, he is a beast and you better know where he is, but don't kid yourself.  He is not the most important player on the field even when he gets the ball.

Julio distorts the defense every time he steps on the field, that gives him more value than almost every other WR. Not going to argue that 20 mil a year isn't a lot for a non QB, but lets see what he actually signs for.

TheFatboi and kiwifalcon like this

43 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Most important = / = highest paid.  How much do long snappers make?

Different positions have different market values.  This isn't that difficult of a thing to comprehend.

TheFatboi likes this

4 hours ago, Joey563 said:

I still think the idea Aaron Rodgers proposed of every team having one franchise contract that doesn't count against the salary cap would be great for all players and teams.  

Of course a.QB would come up with that

5 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Of course a.QB would come up with that

Don't forget he's also an ownership partner of an NBA team.

5 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

Julio already asked for to much last year. What makes you think he's finally thought to become reasonable. Because if he did that he would finish his contract for this year. 

Furthermore Thomas isn't signing for anything less than 20/year. 

Julio will get what he gets again who gives a rats.

I’ve heard alot from fans speculating about what Jones x 2 and Jarrett will get and for the most part not only have they been wrong they haven’t been close.

Most of it is just made up keyboard talk nothing else.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Julio distorts the defense every time he steps on the field, that gives him more value than almost every other WR. Not going to argue that 20 mil a year isn't a lot for a non QB, but lets see what he actually signs for.

Exactly let’s wait and see shall we like we did Debo and Jarrett.

Ill go out on a limb the same people speculating haven’t got the faintest idea.They’ll see 20 per and assume that’s what Julio will get every year of his contract not bother about specifics in how it’s structured when and whose coming off to make the financial puzzle pieces fit.

Theyll just assume the worst and scare monger there rhetoric on the board.

I just sit back and laugh at all these jokers.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

2 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

It's more of game planning. We have to use X amount of defenders every play to cover whatever side of the field Julio is on. The only issue I have with Julio is he goes out of the game too much. Other top WR's you might see them in over 90% of the offensive plays but Julio will be in around 70%.

2 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

You got your boy Grady extended...Debo too.  Now it’s time for Julio.  I tend to agree that the WR position doesn’t warrant an 20 mill APY contract, but if we win a title in the next few years, Julio will play a big part in it.

And he is on the field more than Grady from a sheer snaps perspective.  And his impact is felt on every single passing play, even as a decoy.  So 60% of the snaps, Julio has an impact.  Let’s pay and get it behind us.  

But we are in CAP danger after he signs

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this