FalconsIn2020

Mularkey/Quinn on Hooper:

20 posts in this topic

●The Falcons will be in Canton early next month to see former tight end Tony Gonzalez go into the Hall of Fame as well as play the Broncos in the first preseason game of the year.

The team hopes that game will kick off a season that sees their current tight end take a leap forward. Austin Hooper made the Pro Bowl last year after setting career highs in catches, yards and touchdowns and head coach Dan Quinn hopes to see those numbers go up again with Mike Mularkey on hand as Hooper’s position coach.

“Hooper, the improvement just keeps getting better,” Quinn said, via the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “Now, he’s ready to go to another level, and I’m looking forward to seeing him make that growth. The addition of having Mike here, he’s done everything that Mike has asked in terms of getting him ready. That connection has been good.”

Mularkey said that he believes Hooper can move into the ranks of elite tight ends in the league and Hooper said he plans to “be a sponge and absorb as much” knowledge as Mularkey can give him this year. Seeing that pay off would benefit the Falcons in the fall and it would benefit Hooper come the offseason as the 2016 third-rounder is playing out the final year of his contract.

●●●●●●●●●●

I think he's gung to get a lot more throws this way this year. DK, is good for giving a TE 2-3 huge game a year and you don't hire Mularkey as the position coach if you're not planning on an increased role.

Of course I think DK and MM were also brought in to run the offense during the game while DQ handles the defense.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

10 minutes ago, vel said:

Koetter and Co made Cameron Brate a terror in Tampa. I think Austin Hooper is primed for a massive year. 

I’ll be interested to see if Stocker plays a similar role as Kyle Juszczyk in SF

bossFALCON™ and Tim Mazetti like this

I expect the Falcons to have the NFL’s #1 offense this year. Dirk Koetter will put together a “Masterpiece” as our OC..., his 2nd time around. Not having to worry with BOTH sides of the ball (in TB), and that nuckle headed QB he was saddled with, DK is gonna push our O to a HIGHER level than we saw during our record breaking season under Shannahan.

Rise Up!!

HouseofEuphoria likes this

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Trollin on every thread?

No whether we extend him or not next year, this should be his best season. 

Edited by ButSkiuup

outside that big game Hooper didnt do much so I am tampering my expectations and hoping he does well. 

18 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

outside that big game Hooper didnt do much so I am tampering my expectations and hoping he does well. 

He is better than most credit him for.

In 2018, Hooper caught 71 passes — on 88 targets, for a league-best 81% catch rate — for 660 yards and four touchdowns. He may never become the threat that Kelce and Ertz are, but the Falcons don’t necessarily need that. They need a dependable outlet for Ryan who catches passes that are thrown his way, who can create mismatches over the middle of the field, and who can make defenses pay for focusing their attention on other players (like Jones).

Hooper represents all of those things, and he should only get better. A five-year, $42.5MM pact with $20MM or so in guarantees seems to make sense for both sides.

MM is an experienced TE coach and DK loves to use TE. Hooper was the most improved player on the offense last year. Hopefully he will take it to next level. 

Cole World likes this

I posted this end of the last season. Hooper was one of the most consistent TE in the NFL. He is no Zach Ertz or Kelcee but who else is?

Hooper was a solid pick at TE after we went a few years after Tony to find someone.

I think he will end up here a long time and be the go to TE from here on out.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

I posted this end of the last season. Hooper was one of the most consistent TE in the NFL. He is no Zach Ertz or Kelcee but who else is?

81% catch rate is tops amongst all TE’s 

The real question is will he be re-signed?

After re-signing both Grady and Deion the 2 biggest names in our 2020 free agency class are Campbell and Hooper. 

37 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The real question is will he be re-signed?

After re-signing both Grady and Deion the 2 biggest names in our 2020 free agency class are Campbell and Hooper. 

I think Campbell is more likely gone before Hooper. Harder to find good TEs these days. He'll be younger as well. Plenty of good LBs in the 2020 draft. Isaiah Simmons, Dylan Moses, Troy Dye, Paddy Fisher. It takes much longer for TEs to find their footing in the league. Why let a Pro Bowl one walk just to keep a solid LB? 

Cole World likes this