Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2020

Top 100 Players in 2019

34 posts in this topic

Matt Ryan is never gonna get the love we believe he deserves.    Just let it go.    Matt is a great guy but has a boring personality (not saying that in a derogatory way), is measured in what he says/does, and is not a runner.

All I care about is if he gets his due at end of career - if he gets a SB, I know he will - if not, it's a 50/50 proposition if he ever gets the credit he deserves.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Matt Ryan is never gonna get the love we believe he deserves.    Just let it go.    Matt is a great guy but has a boring personality (not saying that in a derogatory way), is measured in what he says/does, and is not a runner.

All I care about is if he gets his due at end of career - if he gets a SB, I know he will - if not, it's a 50/50 proposition if he ever gets the credit he deserves.

Agreed.  Though, I think if he continues his career arc and doesn't end up with a ring he will get in just because his numbers are going to force people to recognize him.  I'm not 100% on that lol but I mentioned in another thread that the narrative on Matt seems to be turning around the league.  There will always be haters and nay sayers, but there are so many more MR defenders out there now than there have ever been.  He is putting respek on his own name.  People are just slow to change their minds.

Also lists are dumb and should be taken with a grain of salt.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

It’s true.  But Diggs over Ryan deserves some grumbles

g-dawg and Drew4719 like this

39 minutes ago, athell said:

Agreed.  Though, I think if he continues his career arc and doesn't end up with a ring he will get in just because his numbers are going to force people to recognize him.  I'm not 100% on that lol but I mentioned in another thread that the narrative on Matt seems to be turning around the league.  There will always be haters and nay sayers, but there are so many more MR defenders out there now than there have ever been.  He is putting respek on his own name.  People are just slow to change their minds.

Also lists are dumb and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yeah,  I agree.   Lists are dumb.   I kind of like seeing the videos of the Top 100 because they are entertaining but one should never get too bent if Hopkins is rated over Julio or if Rivers is rated over Ryan.    The Top 100 is a popularity contest more than anything as it is voted on by the players themselves.

As to Matt Ryan and the HOF,  I tend to agree w/ your take.    If he plays to age 40 and maintains his current level of play for most of those years, he should easily make the Hall just based on his numbers - however, I have heard this shifting narrative with many talking about this "new era of passing in NFL" and trying to say the numbers won't matter as much - which is total garbage.    Show me a player IN ANY SPORT who can have "Top 10 all-time" numbers who doesn't make the HOF in that respective sport.   Ryan is 4 years behind Eli, Big Ben and Rivers but is outpacing all of them.

Six more years of 4,000yds/season would likely put Matt Ryan as 5th all-time in passing yards in the history of the game.   Matt's averaged 4,650yds passing the last three years - so assuming 4,000yds/yr takes into account a drop-off at some point.    The Hall of Fame will have to administer a "Matt Ryan Rule" to keep him out of the Hall, barring injury.   The only two players that Matt Ryan is guaranteed not to catch in total passing yards is Brees and Brady - who should be #1 and #2 by the time they hang it up (Brees is already #1 and Brady will easily pass Manning/Favre this year.

Hopefully, somewhere along the way Matty Ice gets the SB victory to ice the HOF debate but, regardless,  he should have the stats to get in without a dramatic fall-off - which I just don't see.

athell likes this

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah,  I agree.   Lists are dumb.   I kind of like seeing the videos of the Top 100 because they are entertaining but one should never get too bent if Hopkins is rated over Julio or if Rivers is rated over Ryan.    The Top 100 is a popularity contest more than anything as it is voted on by the players themselves.

As to Matt Ryan and the HOF,  I tend to agree w/ your take.    If he plays to age 40 and maintains his current level of play for most of those years, he should easily make the Hall just based on his numbers - however, I have heard this shifting narrative with many talking about this "new era of passing in NFL" and trying to say the numbers won't matter as much - which is total garbage.    Show me a player IN ANY SPORT who can have "Top 10 all-time" numbers who doesn't make the HOF in that respective sport.   Ryan is 4 years behind Eli, Big Ben and Rivers but is outpacing all of them.

Six more years of 4,000yds/season would likely put Matt Ryan as 5th all-time in passing yards in the history of the game.   Matt's averaged 4,650yds passing the last three years - so assuming 4,000yds/yr takes into account a drop-off at some point.    The Hall of Fame will have to administer a "Matt Ryan Rule" to keep him out of the Hall, barring injury.   The only two players that Matt Ryan is guaranteed not to catch in total passing yards is Brees and Brady - who should be #1 and #2 by the time they hang it up (Brees is already #1 and Brady will easily pass Manning/Favre this year.

Hopefully, somewhere along the way Matty Ice gets the SB victory to ice the HOF debate but, regardless,  he should have the stats to get in without a dramatic fall-off - which I just don't see.

Well said.  Agreed.

g-dawg likes this

18 minutes ago, athell said:

Well said.  Agreed.

One thing that annoys the **** out of me though is 2016 and 2018, Matt throws for 4,944 and 4,924yds.

Dammit, when you get that close, break the 5,000yd mark - you are literally 2-3 completions away.

athell likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

One thing that annoys the **** out of me though is 2016 and 2018, Matt throws for 4,944 and 4,924yds.

Dammit, when you get that close, break the 5,000yd Mark.

What's crazy about 2016 is how often we were playing from ahead.  Teams had to catch up to us.  Matt would have murdered the records in 2016 if he passed more.

How about this stat: In Matt's MVP season (4,944 Yards, 38 TDs, 7 Ints) he ranked 17th (SEVENTEENTH) in attempts at 534.  Brees had the most at 673.  Extrapolate those numbers out...roughly 100 more completions at 9.3 Y/A = 930 yards + 4,944 = 5,874 Passing Yards and TDs probably pushing 50.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

That and all the hype about having the top player in the league Julio there will always be a stigma about MR is this good because of JJ and not the other way around.  Matt got his money and he'll retire the greatest falcon QB ever, but when we look at other QBs in this league, they never get the same stereotype.  It's never Thomas is this good because of Brees, it's he's the best WR and deserves to be paid that way, or Manning was only as good as Beckham, but he won 2 SBs without him.  Don't get me wrong ODB and Beckham are very good players, but they did have success with these qbs and only time will tell if they succeed without them.  Matt Ryan has had 2 number ones (not including Douglas) in Julio and Roddy, and he's been pretty darn good whether or not those two were on the field.  If I'm Matt Ryan, I keep playing out my games, cashing my checks and laughing on the inside of that huge smile he gives when he asks about what he thinks about his ranking vs other players.  He's modest and a hard worker and yet, he puts his head down and grinds out each year for the same goal, a SB. Most think we overpaid for him, but with rising contracts each year, he's still showing he's worth every penny IMO.  IDK who will end their career first MR or JJ, but either way, they'll always be seen as two totally different kinds of players (Matt quiet and productive, Julio dangerous and explosive, but also quiet).  But I have a feeling that BOTH will still be great even when the other rides off into the sunset as one of the greatest to ever play that position and the other plays a few more years.  If all goes well, Falcons will win 2 or 3 SBs before they're done and they both will retire on top of the world hoisting the trophy one final time together.

18 minutes ago, athell said:

What's crazy about 2016 is how often we were playing from ahead.  Teams had to catch up to us.  Matt would have murdered the records in 2016 if he passed more.

How about this stat: In Matt's MVP season (4,944 Yards, 38 TDs, 7 Ints) he ranked 17th (SEVENTEENTH) in attempts at 534.  Brees had the most at 673.  Extrapolate those numbers out...roughly 100 more completions at 9.3 Y/A = 930 yards + 4,944 = 5,874 Passing Yards and TDs probably pushing 50.

I calculated his YPA and TDs per attempt as well as INT and took those (9.3 YPA, 0.071 TDs per attempt and 0.013 INT per attempt) and the stats over 673 Attempts came out like this

470/673 6259 Yards 48 TDs 9 INT

1 minute ago, federicofalcon2 said:

I calculated his YPA and TDs per attempt as well as INT and took those (9.3 YPA, 0.071 TDs per attempt and 0.013 INT per attempt) and the stats over 673 Attempts came out like this

I was ballparking it, thanks for actually doing the math lol

Those numbers O.o

FalconsIn2020 and g-dawg like this

3 minutes ago, athell said:

I was ballparking it, thanks for actually doing the math lol

Those numbers O.o

He'd be MVP for the rest of the century with these numbers.  NO ONE could ever doubt him as anything other than the best EVER. LMAO

athell likes this

1 minute ago, federicofalcon2 said:

He'd be MVP for the rest of the century with these numbers.  NO ONE could ever doubt him as anything other than the best EVER. LMAO

It would have been the single greatest passing season in NFL history and would probably never be touched.  Absolutely insane to think about.

federicofalcon2 likes this

1 minute ago, athell said:

It would have been the single greatest passing season in NFL history and would probably never be touched.  Absolutely insane to think about.

But you know haters would be like "but he didn't get 50 TDs" lol

athell and FalconsIn2020 like this

38 minutes ago, athell said:

Great point.  We were shutting it down in the 4th quarter in  7 games that year

20 minutes ago, federicofalcon2 said:

That’s why I can’t compare Ryan 2018 numbers to 2016.  He was great last year.   But 2016 was an historical Unicorn.

federicofalcon2 likes this

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

That’s why I can’t compare Ryan 2018 numbers to 2016.  He was great last year.   But 2016 was an historical Unicorn.

Honestly if Matt Ryan gets to control the offense more in future years like he has been able to when he's had his best numbers, these stats should be a more consistent measure of his play and he can only go up from there.  He could easily set new standards and make his stats untouchable.

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

While the write up on Ryan is complimentary, there is a problem when Diggs, Howard, Kelce, Adams, Peterson, Grady etc are considered better football players

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/07/17/the-top-100-players-in-the-nfl-today/7/

If thats true....I wont even waste my time looking at it...

Honestly I dont even pay attention to stuff like that....its always some jack *** who don't know ****.....

Matt might not be electric or highlight worthy.....but he's better than what people think....which leads me to my last point...

**** what people think

athell and FalconsIn2020 like this

28 minutes ago, athell said:

Ryan In 2016 had the 17th most pass attempts and the 2nd most yards.

And he only threw the ball 92 times in the 4th quarter all year.

athell likes this