Ergo Proxy

YT content creator and TwitFace Lord posts video to label Ryan a system QB

76 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Which system?  He's played in all 3 of the prevalent ones.

He is about to play all 3 rolled into 1 

JDaveG likes this

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

As I said above, I do not believe he is using "system QB" to mean he can only play in one system, but rather that he can only produce as much offense as the system is designed to produce. His point is that Matt Ryan doesn't make enough truly outstanding, created-offensive plays to offset his athletic deficiencies. That most of Matt Ryan's positive plays are ones he is reasonably expected to make according to whatever system he is running.

I think that is accurate.

Matt Ryan doesn't do as much freelancing as Aaron Rodgers, he doesn't have the rocket arm of Mahomes. And to me, that's ok. Rodgers' freelancing has produced many "ooohhh--- ahhhhh" plays. He's also created a culture where the coaches have to defer to him. I am critical of Rodgers for not being more like Matt Ryan: not the other way around.

In other words he should be making bigger plays within the system?

Edited by slickgadawg

34 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

In other words he should be making bigger plays within tbe system?

Sort of (the video maker's point, not mine). More that he should make fewer poor throws/decisions, and create more offense on second/third reads.

slickgadawg likes this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

Sort of (the video maker's point, not mine). More that he should make fewer poor throws/decisions, and create more offense on second/third reads.

That presumes that every play is the right play call and there is enough time every play to go through all of the reads. And, it’s presuming Matt is missing open receivers.

So, if the point was that Matt is not perfect well then neither are these surrounding factors. Such things that are implied to be a given when that’s not true. 

Basically, Matt became solidified as elite in 2016, is viewed as a one-year wonder; not true, and hated on for having Julio Jones. 

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Clearly Ryan is just a system QB, Sark is just THAT GOOD of an OC.  No way he puts up those numbers last year without him. :ninja:

This guy's attempt to label Ryan a system QB is stupid. Isn't every QB a system QB? Don't they run the system implemented by the OC?  Only a few QBs seem to improvise as plays break down and do their own thing.  Ryan has even improved that aspect of his game.

Plus no QB is successful by himself, e.g. OL, WRs, TEs and RBs all have to do their jobs.  If you closely follow the Falcons,  everyone knows the OL was an issue last year. 

My only thought to someone spending that much time ans energy on something so pointless , stupid, and just so off of the mark is......someone really needs to get laid.

7 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

He is about to play all 3 rolled into 1 

Everyone does that to an extent anymore.  But Matt has had all 3 as his base, which is remarkable, so anyone calling him a "system QB" is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

falconsd56 likes this

22 hours ago, runshoot said:

Ive never understood the divisiveness on Matt Ryan.

He plays in Atlanta. They do this with a lot of ATL players, across all sports(See Trae Young)

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Everyone does that to an extent anymore.  But Matt has had all 3 as his base, which is remarkable, and which means anyone calling him a "system QB" is an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yup.

I have often said that the single most interesting thing to me this year will be how. The offense will be influenced by Mularky,Koetter, and Knapp all coming together.

JDaveG likes this

10 hours ago, falconidae said:

Pretty sure he went to the pro bowl in 2010.

Then Ryan is unquestionably the only QB in NFL history to not only play in all 3 offensive systems, but to also make a Pro Bowl in each system.

Posted (edited)

This is so stupid. If anything, you can make a point that Matt is the one QB who is not system dependent since he played and balled in three different systems. You could argue that Tom and Aaron are system QB’s since they only played in one system. Is Jared Goff a system QB because he only became good with Mcvay? The term system qb is stupid.

PFF used to have good content and they still have some, but they have hired a lot of poor writers and analyst. I love what FanGraphs is for baseball and wish we had something similar for football. FanGraphs is not trying to make clickbait. They have smart writers who love the game and understand it at a higher level. It’s also why the writers at FanGraphs continue to get poached by major league teams.

Edited by Jpg428gggg
JDaveG likes this

Why is this dude labeled a "PFF analyst"? 

EDIT TO ADD: I changed the name of the thread to "analyst" as there is no mention of Marcus Whitman on PFF's website and the only connection I see between the two is this dude saying he's a PFF analyst. 

If by system QB, you mean like P Manning was a system QB (aka... they are the system), then i'm good with Ryan being called a system QB.

7 hours ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

That's absurd[ the "analyst", not you] PFF stats show Ryan to be one of the best decision makers out there. And, you have ot have time to get to your second and third reads.

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

My only thought to someone spending that much time ans energy on something so pointless , stupid, and just so off of the mark is......someone really needs to get laid.

Kinda like the 100 threads a week about Ryan...:lol:   

falconsd56 likes this

The idea anyone would give merit to a film breakdown of 1 game out of a players 184 game career, and then draw conclusions on how good of a player he is is silly.

I looked at Tom Brady’s under 50%  completion rate, 1 TD and 2 interceptions in the 2016 AFC Championship game and have concluded Tim Tebow is a better QB than Tom Brady.

oh, you say Brady has played more than 1 game in his career and looking at just one game is misleading?  Go Tebow.

Jpg428gggg likes this

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The idea anyone would give merit to a film breakdown of 1 game out of a players 184 game career, and then draw conclusions on how good of a player he is is silly.

I looked at Tom Brady’s under 50%  completion rate, 1 TD and 2 interceptions in the 2016 AFC Championship game and have concluded Tim Tebow is a better QB than Tom Brady.

oh, you say Brady has played more than 1 game in his career and looking at just one game is misleading?  Go Tebow.

Exactly. I could show Brady in the last Super Bowl and I doubt anyone would be impressed. Heck, look at Brees vs the Rams. He missed some throws in that game as well.

gazoo likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Why is this dude labeled a "PFF analyst"? 

EDIT TO ADD: I changed the name of the thread to "analyst" as there is no mention of Marcus Whitman on PFF's website and the only connection I see between the two is this dude saying he's a PFF analyst. 

Ya know, I was gonna say it was great seeing you back but... :tiphat: 

https://mobile.twitter.com/tfg_football

I figure he’d get shot down by PFF is he was pretending affiliation?

Anyway, self proclaimed or fly by night...

On topic, video is a poor choice of words to share his opinion.

Cherry picks the worst game of the year for Ryan and starts throwing a word around that usually has a negative connotation...

He even commented on the vid in the Op as being offended others are dismissing his video saying he picked the PHI game etc.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

On 7/17/2019 at 0:08 AM, JD dirtybird21 said:

System QB....4 offensive coordinators, 3 became head coaches after working with Ryan. 

Nothing like proving an hour long video wrong in a sentence. 

Exactly.

Didn't even bother watching the video based on the title alone.

15 hours ago, FenixFalcon said:

I dont really but into 1 season of stats making a reciever great. Julio has always been great.

Uhm what? Hopkins has played in the NFL for 6 seasons, not one. And over those 6 seasons he’s played d@mn good. This becomes even more impressive when you take into account that he hasn’t had a consistent/good QB until Watson got there. Which have been his two best seasons so far. 

4 hours ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Exactly. I could show Brady in the last Super Bowl and I doubt anyone would be impressed. Heck, look at Brees vs the Rams. He missed some throws in that game as well.

The idea any fan would respond to that video as if the authors conclusions had any merit whatsoever is amazing.  Clearly a hack job by a hater 

Sidecar Falcon likes this

22 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Uhm what? Hopkins has played in the NFL for 6 seasons, not one. And over those 6 seasons he’s played d@mn good. This becomes even more impressive when you take into account that he hasn’t had a consistent/good QB until Watson got there. Which have been his two best seasons so far. 

I dont care that hes been good for 6 season....has he been the best every season? Even top 3? No