Ergo Proxy

YT content creator and TwitFace Lord posts video to label Ryan a system QB

76 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

So I actually think the way he graded the throws and situations was fair.  Let's be real, MR2 did not have a good game against PHI.   Where one could make a little noise is his use of the label "System QB" or "System throw" (what he referred to as a 2 rating).  If you take away the negative connotation that we have of what a "System" QB is and I don't think he is wrong.  I love Matt, he's put in good work for us but he does miss throws, does seem a little slow getting the ball out and doesn't always hit those long balls like we'd like.  The real issue I have is what he defines as "system" makes every QB will be a "system" QB.  Aaron Rogers isn't always extending plays and TB is the very definition of a system QB because the system is so good.  Matt is effective because he makes the throws he should make far more than he misses.

Every Qb misses throws, gets the ball out late, and doesn't always hit the long ball. Every single one. We see the highlights from other QBs while watching every single throw Ryan makes. 

falconsd56 and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

^This. When one player is supposed to carry their team in the Super Bowl it’s a recipe for not being enough. When a team is out playing another team? Easy. 

Correct. Peyton is the best QB I’ve ever seen play. Because if there was ever a guy who had to “carry a franchise”, it’s him. And he often was labeled a choker throughout his career because he “couldn’t beat Brady.” But the reality is, the Colts organization simply just wasn’t as well run as the Patriots. Colts had the better QB, Patriots had the better owner, better coach, and better roster every time. And when Peyton won his 2 rings, his performance in both Super Bowls was pretty meh. He won because he didn’t have to pull it out 

athell, Geneaut and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

So I actually think the way he graded the throws and situations was fair.  Let's be real, MR2 did not have a good game against PHI.   Where one could make a little noise is his use of the label "System QB" or "System throw" (what he referred to as a 2 rating).  If you take away the negative connotation that we have of what a "System" QB is and I don't think he is wrong.  I love Matt, he's put in good work for us but he does miss throws, does seem a little slow getting the ball out and doesn't always hit those long balls like we'd like.  The real issue I have is what he defines as "system" makes every QB will be a "system" QB.  Aaron Rogers isn't always extending plays and TB is the very definition of a system QB because the system is so good.  Matt is effective because he makes the throws he should make far more than he misses.

You mean he is human like everyone else. You can make the same tape for Favre, manning and, breed. Lame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Every Qb misses throws, gets the ball out late, and doesn't always hit the long ball. Every single one. We see the highlights from other QBs while watching every single throw Ryan makes. 

 

9 minutes ago, mc said:

You mean he is human like everyone else. You can make the same tape for Favre, manning and, breed. Lame.

What I love about the internet is you can post something, people can respond with an opinion that you think is similar to yours but unsure whether you actually agree. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WTF? He has had a ton of different OC's in his career. If anything Ryan makes OC's and then helps get them Head coaching jobs. Only Sark is a former Ryan OC that was not given a head coaching job.

Ryan makes the OC's system work not the other way around.

 

Shelley#37 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, FenixFalcon said:

I stopped watching as soon as he mentioned DeAndre Hopkins as the best wide receiver

..lol these tools are a total waste of time.

 

10 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Im tryna figure out when and where did everyone get so high on Hopkins. It used to be Julio vs AB, with the OBJ crowd in the background. Now overnight Hopkins is all of a sudden took the mantle despite Julio still producing at a higher level.

Maybe people get bored with consistent dominance and enjoy mixing it up with new favs

To be fair. DHop had 115 receptions last year and no drops. That’s pretty d@mn impressive. I personally don’t think he’s better than Jones or Brown, but he’s up there in terms of one of the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

So I actually think the way he graded the throws and situations was fair.  Let's be real, MR2 did not have a good game against PHI.   Where one could make a little noise is his use of the label "System QB" or "System throw" (what he referred to as a 2 rating).  If you take away the negative connotation that we have of what a "System" QB is and I don't think he is wrong.  I love Matt, he's put in good work for us but he does miss throws, does seem a little slow getting the ball out and doesn't always hit those long balls like we'd like.  The real issue I have is what he defines as "system" makes every QB will be a "system" QB.  Aaron Rogers isn't always extending plays and TB is the very definition of a system QB because the system is so good.  Matt is effective because he makes the throws he should make far more than he misses.

No one is saying Matt is perfect nor had a good game. The guy was nitpicking plays to prove his bias. You can do for any QB you don’t like.  This is lazy analysis at best and blatant bias against Ryan at worst.

It makes me miss NFL films breakdown on both weaknesses and strengths of a player/team or scheme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Correct. Peyton is the best QB I’ve ever seen play. Because if there was ever a guy who had to “carry a franchise”, it’s him. And he often was labeled a choker throughout his career because he “couldn’t beat Brady.” But the reality is, the Colts organization simply just wasn’t as well run as the Patriots. Colts had the better QB, Patriots had the better owner, better coach, and better roster every time. And when Peyton won his 2 rings, his performance in both Super Bowls was pretty meh. He won because he didn’t have to pull it out 

B O O M

/thread

Dudes video basically is annoyed at Ryan supposedly not buying time and extending plays and his arm strength. Ran into him on Twitter and he spouted that nonsense.

Its true in the past Ryan has a tendency to hold onto the ball but what is Brady??

What is Brees?

etc. pocket QBs without the biggest of arms.

 Plus, our system has emphasized deeper developing or longer developing routes. Timing-based. But since Rodgers and Wilson are able to create scramble plays no one else can be elite? 

Apparently, you can’t be elite without those traits. Yet Ryan is way better coming from behind to win than Rodgers.

Who is better carrying his team now?

I highlighted some plays he made last year with his feet in extending plays and finding Ridley for the TD. Rushing for the touchdowns he did. They come back with well he just doesn’t do it nearly often enough to be elite.  

You show them a D bomb touchdown and they say he can’t anticipate receivers coming open or throw his receivers open. OK so he relies on the system does that make him stuck to one system in particular? But a quarterback that needs to throw at his best when plays breakdown somehow is a better quarterback; even though they aren’t as good at running the system itself and rely on improvising?

Just seems like a preference and way to invalidate Ryan.

Meanwhile, Falcons generally handle mobile QBs well.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

System QB....4 offensive coordinators, 3 became head coaches after working with Ryan. 

Nothing like proving an hour long video wrong in a sentence. 

And none became a successful coach (yet). I'd suggest that he made the system look good, not the other way around.

Ergo Proxy and JD dirtybird21 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

EVERY quarterback is a system quarterback.  In other words, every quarterback runs a SYSTEM.  The CORRECT question is can a quarterback run more than one system?  Does Matt Ryan have the arm strength to run a vertical offense, i.e. Chan Gailey's or Andy Reid's old system?  Can Tom Brady run a RPO offense?  Can the quarterback MAKE PLAYS in any system, I.E. Patrick Mahomes, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, Michael Vick, Brett Favre, Roger Staubach, Steve Young etc.  Ryan CAN run but thats not his game. Does the quarterback get the ball out quick which will enable him to excel in most systems, I.E. Dan Marino.  Marino can run a west coast or vertical but does he have the wheels to get out and run a zone blocking offense or a RPO offense?  These are questions you ask when you ask whether a quarterback is a " system " quarterback.

 

PLAYMAKERS:

Image result for aaron rodgers running gif

 

Related image

 

Related image

 

Related image

 

Image result for cam newton running gif

 

Image result for PATRICK MAHOMES RUNNING GIF

 

Related image

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

So I actually think the way he graded the throws and situations was fair.  Let's be real, MR2 did not have a good game against PHI.   Where one could make a little noise is his use of the label "System QB" or "System throw" (what he referred to as a 2 rating).  If you take away the negative connotation that we have of what a "System" QB is and I don't think he is wrong.  I love Matt, he's put in good work for us but he does miss throws, does seem a little slow getting the ball out and doesn't always hit those long balls like we'd like.  The real issue I have is what he defines as "system" makes every QB will be a "system" QB.  Aaron Rogers isn't always extending plays and TB is the very definition of a system QB because the system is so good.  Matt is effective because he makes the throws he should make far more than he misses.

He doesn't have a cannon, but he's been making better decisions than Rodgers or Russell Wilson so to rephrase Takk "I am good."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

And none became a successful coach (yet). I'd suggest that he made the system look good, not the other way around.

Yep. That's why I LOL'd at somebody spending an hour on a video claiming that Ryan is a product of his system. So stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Must not be elite if you break down week 1 vs Philly...

Saw this guy pop up on twitter and he put together an hour vid trying to prove his point.

 

An hour. Nobody has time for that. 

Also, MR has been averaging a new system every 2-3 years. As evidence by all the former HCs on our coaching staff, he's a system maker. Those guys didn't look so hot without him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Philly was easily the worst game of the season for Ryan. Of course he picked that game to dissect as it fits the narrative.

It was the only game all year he did not throw for a TD. His QB Rating was a 57.4. The next lowest he had all year was 87.2 vs a very good baltimore defense. Lets not pick any of the 10 100+ QB Rating games or any of the multiple TD games. 

 

Yep, very selective, as is always going to be the case when you have an agenda and you want it to appear legit. Ryan has had some very lackluster games in his career, kind of like every other QB that has played football at any level. The perspective that has to be included is the cold hard fact those stinker games of his are few and far between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Which system?  He's played in all 3 of the prevalent ones.

He went to a Pro Bowl in 2.  What about between 2008-2010.  Did he make a PB?

That would certainly be an NFL first

JDaveG likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

 

To be fair. DHop had 115 receptions last year and no drops. That’s pretty d@mn impressive. I personally don’t think he’s better than Jones or Brown, but he’s up there in terms of one of the best. 

I dont really but into 1 season of stats making a reciever great. Julio has always been great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Osiruz said:

He's been in 3 systems, this guy just doesn't know football. "Yo Matt Ryanz dunt throw da bawlz to Huleo in dat endzoan." No shizzle dude, he's gotta set his feet, because he doesn't have a cannon like Rodgers. By the time he does that he would have gotten leveled.

I don't believe he means what you think he means by "a system throw" or "a system QB"

I understood his meaning to NOT be "Matt Ryan can only play in system X". That would define guys like Matt Schaub, who is only (marginally) effective (when in his alleged "prime") in a West Coast system. Rather I took his meaning to of "system play" to be making a play that his offensive system schemed for. In other words, a "scheme play" to this guy is not actually a specific West Coast or Raiderball or Air Coryell or Run & Shoot specific play, but rather an ordinary, expected play withing whatever system is being run.

That being said, I think it is disingenuous to single out Matt Ryan's worst game, against perhaps the best defense he played, and use that as his benchmark to measure Matt Ryan by.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

EVERY quarterback is a system quarterback.  In other words, every quarterback runs a SYSTEM.  The CORRECT question is can a quarterback run more than one system?  Does Matt Ryan have the arm strength to run a vertical offense, i.e. Chan Gailey's or Andy Reid's old system?  Can Tom Brady run a RPO offense?  Can the quarterback MAKE PLAYS in any system, I.E. Patrick Mahomes, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, Michael Vick, Brett Favre, Roger Staubach, Steve Young etc.  Ryan CAN run but thats not his game. Does the quarterback get the ball out quick which will enable him to excel in most systems, I.E. Dan Marino.  Marino can run a west coast or vertical but does he have the wheels to get out and run a zone blocking offense or a RPO offense?  These are questions you ask when you ask whether a quarterback is a " system " quarterback.

As I said above, I do not believe he is using "system QB" to mean he can only play in one system, but rather that he can only produce as much offense as the system is designed to produce. His point is that Matt Ryan doesn't make enough truly outstanding, created-offensive plays to offset his athletic deficiencies. That most of Matt Ryan's positive plays are ones he is reasonably expected to make according to whatever system he is running.

I think that is accurate.

Matt Ryan doesn't do as much freelancing as Aaron Rodgers, he doesn't have the rocket arm of Mahomes. And to me, that's ok. Rodgers' freelancing has produced many "ooohhh--- ahhhhh" plays. He's also created a culture where the coaches have to defer to him. I am critical of Rodgers for not being more like Matt Ryan: not the other way around.

slickgadawg and Bigbenright like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Every qb is a system qb. Brady has been in the same system his entire career. They’ve only adjusted. We’ve never seen  Rodgers outside of the WCO. We saw how manning looked switching to the wco. Elway didn’t look so hot when Denver went wco. Even tho they won two SB’s off TD’s legs. The best thing for a qb’s career is consistency in the system he thrives in or learns. So in essence EVERY qb is a product of the system they learn. This is a dumb argument to me. Now if you say Matt isn’t a good improviser on the fly at just being a football player i will agree, which is why it’s hard for most pundits to put him top 3. But outside of that all qb’s are system qb’s. 

Just because you mentioned John Elway, his best success individually came in the two years he had John Fassel as his HC. It's what landed Fassel the HC job with the Giants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now