g-dawg

Free Agency: Building a Team / Falcons related

63 posts in this topic

The SETUP:

I am 53yrs old.   I was born the Falcons inaugral season of 1966.   Whatever roman numeral the SuperBowl is, that is how old I am.   The first superbowl was played on my first birthday.   We moved to metro-Atlanta in 1970 when I was 4 years old and never left.    Falcons were always my team. I watched my father cuss and look in disgust as we watched many Falcon beatdowns together.  Also we watched how Falcons could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.    From the mid-70's on when I was old enough to remember up until 2008.  The 1980 playoff loss to Dallas was especially painful as I really believe we had the best team in the NFL that year.

I say all that to say this.    Falcons have mostly been a failed organization from 1966-2008 - 42 yrs of ineptitude and never a back-to-back winning season.  That seems almost statistically impossible you could go that many years without back-to-back winning seasons. 

Here is Atlanta Falcons Draft History if you need a scare:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=0200&type=team

of course, we drafted good players in many of those years but never enough of them - never enough to build a team.   Falcons would go into free agency and grab players with a good history of playing in the league - yet most of these free agent signees did not maintain the same or better level of success as they became Falcons - obviously there are exceptions - Michael Turner being up at the top of the list - but those are the exceptions.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENCY:

Like I said, for years the Falcons would go into unrestricted free agency and sign players (from other teams) to try and make up for the misses in the draft at same position.   It rarely works.   While some NFL front offices let players go they shouldn't, generally by the time a team has drafted a player and had him for 4yrs or more, they have a pretty good idea what kind of player they are, what they are capable of, injury history, mental make-up, character and leadership qualities.    Players that check most of those boxes in the right way and are young enough are generally maintained.

Every off-season, I see guys on TATF losing their minds about Falcons not signing "Player X" or "Player Y" or "Player Z" in unrestricted free agency (from other teams).   In those previous 42 years, we drafted so poorly and the roster overall was so poor that these moves were as much about PR - "see we are trying to do something to make team better" - and just sheer desperation.   We don't live in those times anymore.   There is no desperation.   Falcons have probably been one of the Top 3-4 drafting teams in the league over the last 5 years.

I like the strategy right now.   Falcons drafted Grady Jarrett in 5th round and, have seen him to be a beast, a leader a guy that - as Louis Riddick put it yesterday on NFL Live - "Hustles as much on Play#71 as he does on Play#1 of the game".    These are guys that - when Falcons re-sign them, we know what we are getting - not just production, but character, leadership, health, etc.  We know the good - and if there is any bad - we know that as well.    These are the moves of winning teams.   You lock-up your core players.     

You lock-up Matt Ryan, Julio, Matthews, Grady and now Deion Jones (now or 2020) and eventually Keanu Neal (2020/2021).

Moving forward, signing players in unrestricted free agency(from other teams) is simply supplementing depth and the ocassional starter need - but this is a mature team, in a team-building cycle where there will be no chances taken in free agency - there will be no "high risk/high reward" type signings.

It is time for TATF to recognize this as a body of fans and understand that we are in great shape and to quit trying to look for the "quick fix" in free agency.   Time to stop expecting big moves in free agency.   I know most of you know this already but some laggards still aren't there yet.

Image result for grady jarrett signedImage result for deion jones falcons

Image result for keanu nealImage result for matt ryan

Image result for julio jones

Look at all those players above

besides being EXCELLENT football players - all have a tremendous work ethic, leadership qualities and high character.

I am not saying they are perfect human beings, none of us are - but none have had embarrasing issues nor anything to make us believe they have questionable character or judgement.

kiwifalcon and egoprime II like this

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The SETUP:

I am 53yrs old.   I was born the Falcons inaugral season of 1966.   Whatever roman numeral the SuperBowl is, that is how old I am.   The first superbowl was played on my first birthday.   We moved to metro-Atlanta in 1970 when I was 4 years old and never left.    Falcons were always my team and me and I watched my father cuss and look in disgust as we watched many Falcon beatdowns and losing games that should have been won, etc. etc. from the mid-70's on when I was old enough to remember.

I say all that to say this.    Falcons have mostly been a failed organization from 1966-2008 - 42 yrs of ineptitude and never a back-to-back winning season.  That seems almost statistically impossible you could go that many years without back-to-back winning seasons. 

of course, we drafted good players in many of those years but never enough of them - never enough to build a team.   Falcons would go into free agency and grab players with a good history of playing in the league - yet most of these free agent signees did not maintain the same or better level of success as they became Falcons - obviously there are exceptions - Michael Turner being up at the top of the list - but those are the exceptions.

Like I said, for years the Falcons would go into free agency and sign players to try and make up for the misses in the draft at same position.   It rarely works.   While some NFL front offices let players go they shouldn't, generally by the time a team has drafted a player and had him for 4yrs or more, they have a pretty good idea what kind of player they are, what they are capable of, injury history, mental make-up, character and leadership qualities.    Players that check most of those boxes in the right way and are young enough are generally maintained.

Every off-season, I see guys on TATF losing their minds about Falcons not signing "Player X" or "Player Y" or "Player Z" in free agency.   In those previous 42 years, we drafted so poorly and the roster overall was so poor that these moves were as much about PR - "see we are trying to do something to make team better" - and just sheer desperation.   We don't live in those times anymore.   There is no desperation.   Falcons have probably been one of the Top 3-4 drafting teams in the league over the last 5 years.

I like the strategy right now.   Falcons drafted Grady Jarrett in 5th round and have seen him to be a beast, a leader a guy that - as Louis Riddick put it yesterday on NFL Live - "Hustles as much on Play#71 as he does on Play#1 of the game".    These are guys that - when Falcons re-sign them, we know what we are getting - not just production, but character, leadership, health, etc.  We know the good - and if there is any bad - we know that as well.    These are the moves of winning teams.   You lock-up your corp players.     

You lock-up Matt Ryan, Julio, Matthews, Grady and now Deion Jones (now or 2020) and eventually Keanu Neal (2020/2021).

Signing players in free agency is simply supplementing depth and the ocassional starter need - but this is a mature team, in a team-building cycle where there will be no chances taken in free agency - there will be no "high risk/high reward" type signings.

It is time for TATF to recognize this as a body of fans and understand that we are in great shape and to quit trying to look for the "quick fix" in free agency.   Time to stop expecting big moves in free agency.   I know most of you know this already but some laggards still aren't there yet.

Very good post.

We could possibly spend 3-4 mill on a FA if we want.  That will pretty much be it for the next two years.  We will be dumping, not adding.  

TD/Quinn did an amazing job drafting over a 3 year period.  Very similar to the Seahawks from 2010-2013.  Their problems started by trying to sign all their guys.  It gutted the middle of their roster.  Led to them spending 6 million total on their OL in 2015 & 2016.  They were top heavy, like us.  

Next year we have 67% of our 200 million CAP spent on our top 10 contracts.  That has never succeeded once in the salary cap era.  So when are we going to trust our drafting and let home grown talent walk?  Not because we want them gone, but because you simply have to

AlabamaFalconFan likes this

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

We could possibly spend 3-4 mill on a FA if we want.  That will pretty much be it for the next two years.  We will be dumping, not adding.  

TD/Quinn did an amazing job drafting over a 3 year period.  Very similar to the Seahawks from 2010-2013.  Their problems started by trying to sign all their guys.  It gutted the middle of their roster.  Led to them spending 6 million total on their OL in 2015 & 2016.  They were top heavy, like us.  

Next year we have 67% of our 200 million CAP spent on our top 10 contracts.  That has never succeeded once in the salary cap era.  So when are we going to trust our drafting and let home grown talent walk?  Not because we want them gone, but because you simply have to

You actually don’t have to if you manage it correctly.   Granted, you have to keep drafting well.  As long as you keep cycling in cheap young drafted talent, then you are fine.

Next year Beasley comes off the books.   At some point, Alex Mack will come off the books.  This could be Freeman’s last year.  Trufant could likely be cut if he doesn’t play at high level this year.  Sanu is nearing the end of his contract.

I don’t foresee the Falcons being unable to retain a rookie superstar coming off the end of a contract- if they want to retain him.  The young drafted talent and bargain UFAs will fill in the gaps just fine.

TheFatboi, Osiruz and PokerSteve like this

27 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The SETUP:

I am 53yrs old.   I was born the Falcons inaugral season of 1966.   Whatever roman numeral the SuperBowl is, that is how old I am.   The first superbowl was played on my first birthday.   We moved to metro-Atlanta in 1970 when I was 4 years old and never left.    Falcons were always my team and me and I watched my father cuss and look in disgust as we watched many Falcon beatdowns and losing games that should have been won, etc. etc. from the mid-70's on when I was old enough to remember.

Like I said, for years the Falcons would go into free agency and sign players to try and make up for the misses in the draft at same position.   It rarely works.   While some NFL front offices let players go they shouldn't, generally by the time a team has drafted a player and had him for 4yrs or more, they have a pretty good idea what kind of player they are, what they are capable of, injury history, mental make-up, character and leadership qualities.    Players that check most of those boxes in the right way and are young enough are generally maintained.

Every off-season, I see guys on TATF losing their minds about Falcons not signing "Player X" or "Player Y" or "Player Z" in free agency.   In those previous 42 years, we drafted so poorly and the roster overall was so poor that these moves were as much about PR - "see we are trying to do something to make team better" - and just sheer desperation.   We don't live in those times anymore.   There is no desperation.   Falcons have probably been one of the Top 3-4 drafting teams in the league over the last 5 years.

I like the strategy right now.   Falcons drafted Grady Jarrett in 5th round and have seen him to be a beast, a leader a guy that - as Louis Riddick put it yesterday on NFL Live - "Hustles as much on Play#71 as he does on Play#1 of the game".    These are guys that - when Falcons re-sign them, we know what we are getting - not just production, but character, leadership, health, etc.  We know the good - and if there is any bad - we know that as well.    These are the moves of winning teams.   You lock-up your corp players.     

Signing players in free agency is simply supplementing depth and the ocassional starter need - but this is a mature team, in a team-building cycle where there will be no chances taken in free agency - there will be no "high risk/high reward" type signings.

I’ve tried to explain this everytime @FalconFanSince1970 talks about getting rid Of TD. You have to put this franchise in perspective as a whole. Like you said since inception it’s been mostly a failed franchise. Never had a back to back winning season. Poor drafting. Had a few great players over time but failed to put a team around them. All that changed in 2008. If anybody blames TD for anything they should blame him for building a structured team and making the falcons relevant every year. Now keeping key pieces of this young core intact should stay relevant into the future. 

Just now, TheFatboi said:

I’ve tried to explain this everytime @FalconFanSince1970 talks about getting rid Of TD. You have to put this franchise in perspective as a whole. Like you said since inception it’s been mostly a failed franchise. Never had a back to back winning season. Poor drafting. Had a few great players over time but failed to put a team around them. All that changed in 2008. If anybody blames TD for anything they should blame him for building a structured team and making the falcons relevant every year. Now keeping key pieces of this young core intact should stay relevant into the future. 

TD and Mike Smith changed the culture to a winning culture.  TD got out of the box hot in 2008 with the homeruns of Matt Ryan and Michael Turner and then another few huge moves w/ Gonzo trade and Julio - but there was a time - right before DQ got here, that the Falcons actually did have a fairly average to below average overall roster in 2014.   Had TD been fired then, it would have been deserved - but he made the bond w/ DQ, beefed up the scouting dept and DQ proved adept at articulating what he needed and Dimitroff and the 3 other former GMs found what he wanted and it worked swimmingly.

The only constants since 2008 are Dimitroff, Matt Ryan and Arthur Blank.   YES, TD deserves a ton of credit and would have to say the #1 reason for franchise turnaround - I would say Matt Ryan - but Ryan probably doesn't make it in the building w/ another GM - two other GMs that needed long-term QBs passed on Matt Ryan so he could drop to #3 and the Falcons.    Many thought Glen Dorsey was the move.

Vandy and Godzilla1985 like this

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

You actually don’t have to if you manage it correctly.   Granted, you have to keep drafting well.  As long as you keep cycling in cheap young drafted talent, then you are fine.

Next year Beasley comes off the books.   At some point, Alex Mack will come off the books.  This could be Freeman’s last year.  Trufant could likely be cut if he doesn’t play at high level this year.  Sanu is nearing the end of his contract.

I don’t foresee the Falcons being unable to retain a rookie superstar coming off the end of a contract- if they want to retain him.  The young drafted talent and bargain UFAs will fill in the gaps just fine.

I pretty much agree.  Hooper will likely be a 2 time PB player but he isn’t a superstar IMO.  Dre will also be shown the door.  

But the 2017 draft was smart because Oliver replaces Alford, Ridley replaces Sanu.  

TD will earn his pay and reaffirm his status as a top-3-5 GM over the next 12 months if he pulls it off

Tim Mazetti and g-dawg like this

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

TD and Mike Smith changed the culture to a winning culture.  TD got out of the box hot in 2008 with the homeruns of Matt Ryan and Michael Turner and then another few huge moves w/ Gonzo trade and Julio - but there was a time - right before DQ got here, that the Falcons actually did have a fairly average to below average overall roster in 2014.   Had TD been fired then, it would have been deserved - but he made the bond w/ DQ, beefed up the scouting dept and DQ proved adept at articulating what he needed and Dimitroff and the 3 other former GMs found what he wanted and it worked swimmingly.

The only constants since 2008 are Dimitroff, Matt Ryan and Arthur Blank.   YES, TD deserves a ton of credit and would have to say the #1 reason for franchise turnaround - I would say Matt Ryan - but Ryan probably doesn't make it in the building w/ another GM - two other GMs that needed long-term QBs passed on Matt Ryan so he could drop to #3 and the Falcons.    Many thought Glen Dorsey was the move.

I dont think thats on TD . I think thats on Smith losing his vision of the team and changing defensive philosophy and thats why TD wasnt fired and I believe blank knew it wouldve been a mistake to fire TD . Fans tend to feel a GM is rogue and gets whover HE wants . NO . There should be a CLEAR CUT vision of the type of players a coach needs to make his system work. After 2012 two things happened. We lost many of the core players to retirement or losing a step or too expensive and injury and Smith and the DC changed defensive philosophy. Smith wanted Steven Jackson who was washed and the players they had now became square pegs trying to fit in round holes. Not saying TD doesnt get any blame at all but the firing was the right person. Smith. I said it a million times then and I'm still saying it they switched philosophy and it backfired on Smith. In 2012 they were still a tampa 2(cover 2) defense. in 2013 they wanted to be a 3-4 defense because thats nolans background but we got hit with some key injuries and they went to something else. Now you're stuck with 3-4  type players that dont fit what theyre doing. Thats why it was so easy for quinn to come in and take those piecers and get something out of them because his system employs 3-4 types in a 4-3 under. How could quinn get more out of basically the same players? Philosophy and the team bout into him and Smith had lost the lockerroom. That's a coach thing not a gm thing. And the reason I just said TD is because he was the one who hired Smith. Smith wasn't hired first then TD was hired. A good gm hires a good coach with a vision of what his team should look like and the gm gets those ingredients for him. Why is it that TD has hit more defensively during quinn's era than Smith's? Simple. The coaches vision and the traits he wants in certain positions. When that is clear cut it's easier to identify those players. Heck even TD said that quinn gave him a clear cut vision of the traits he looks for. He said that during the combine in 2016. 

17 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I dont think thats on TD . I think thats on Smith losing his vision of the team and changing defensive philosophy and thats why TD wasnt fired and I believe blank knew it wouldve been a mistake to fire TD . Fans tend to feel a GM is rogue and gets whover HE wants . NO . There should be a CLEAR CUT vision of the type of players a coach needs to make his system work. After 2012 two things happened. We lost many of the core players to retirement or losing a step or too expensive and injury and Smith and the DC changed defensive philosophy. Smith wanted Steven Jackson who was washed and the players they had now became square pegs trying to fit in round holes. Not saying TD doesnt get any blame at all but the firing was the right person. Smith. I said it a million times then and I'm still saying it they switched philosophy and it backfired on Smith. In 2012 they were still a tampa 2(cover 2) defense. in 2013 they wanted to be a 3-4 defense because thats nolans background but we got hit with some key injuries and they went to something else. Now you're stuck with 3-4  type players that dont fit what theyre doing. Thats why it was so easy for quinn to come in and take those piecers and get something out of them because his system employs 3-4 types in a 4-3 under. How could quinn get more out of basically the same players? Philosophy and the team bout into him and Smith had lost the lockerroom. That's a coach thing not a gm thing. And the reason I just said TD is because he was the one who hired Smith. Smith wasn't hired first then TD was hired. A good gm hires a good coach with a vision of what his team should look like and the gm gets those ingredients for him. Why is it that TD has hit more defensively during quinn's era than Smith's? Simple. The coaches vision and the traits he wants in certain positions. When that is clear cut it's easier to identify those players. Heck even TD said that quinn gave him a clear cut vision of the traits he looks for. He said that during the combine in 2016. 

That’s a great post.  One thing I’ve always said about Smith, who I greatly respect, is that he was just a football coach.  Period.  And a dang good one. The most under appreciated member of the Falcons family...and it’s not even close.

But he wasn’t a great talent evaluator. It simply wasn’t his skillset.  Just give me the players for my vision, and I’ll coach them up.  But he wasn’t adept at finding those players himself.

If you could combine Quinn & Smith you have a HOF Coach

16 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

First of all - "Holy Block of Text" Batman!   Throw us a paragraph every now and then.

I don't want to re-litigate as we have about 1,000 pages of text on TD - but the power structure was much different between DQ/TD and TD/MS.    TD interviewed and hired Mike Smith.    Arthur Blank hired DQ and TD had to basically interview to keep his job w/ DQ - who decided he wanted to keep him - 100% different dynamic.     Secondly,  I don't think Smitty really cared much about personnel - he seemed to have the "I will coach the players you draft" type philosophy - he didn't seem to involved in shopping for the groceries - I'm not saying he was not involved at all - but he wasn't engrossed in it the way DQ has been.    YES, Quinn had the better vision for what he wanted - but that doesn't absolve TD from a lot of poor drafting - and TD wasn't taking a lot of direction from Smitty, he just wasn't.

FalconsIn2020 and Atl Falcon like this

5 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

That’s a great post.  One thing I’ve always said about Smith, who I greatly respect, is that he was just a football coach.  Period.  And a dang good one. The most under appreciated member of the Falcons family...and it’s not even close.

But he wasn’t a great talent evaluator. It simply wasn’t his skillset.  Just give me the players for my vision, and I’ll coach them up.  But he wasn’t adept at finding those players himself.

If you could combine Quinn & Smith you have a HOF Coach

Exactly. I love smith the coach. Evaluating wasn’t his strength. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

13 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly. I love smith the coach. Evaluating wasn’t his strength. 

He was an era too late.  Perfect 70’s and 80’s coach.  The advent of the CAP forced coaches to cross train as GM’s.

Even still, he had a 60% win rate.  I hate when people diminish his contributions to an otherwise downtrodden organization

TheFatboi likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

He was an eta too late.  Perfect 70’s and 80’s coach.  The advent of the CAP forced coaches to cross train as GM’s.

Even still, he had a 60% win rate.  I hate when people diminish his contributions to an otherwise downtrodden organization

Yes. The game did change in him. He’s a throwback coach. And a d@mn good one. I live what he did here and the stability he brought but for our success TD would’ve been the wrong fire. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Good post G Dawg - but who knows what would have happened if we traded Bs and use that 13m for a real pass rusher. We have a solid core of players like you said, but for you, me or anyone else to say we’re not going to sign a big time player is really unknown territory. AB TD and might know but we don’t know that for a fact and can only assume. I don’t think we’re going out and making a trade for a 100m player, but we’re pretty close to being able to win the Lombardi and a really good pass rusher could push us to the top. I understand the salary cap is a huge factor but crazier things have happened. A great GM does what he has to do to give his team the best opportunity to win that Lombardi while the window’s open or finish 2-3-4-5 place. 

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

The SETUP:

NO 1966 TO 1994

Cmon Fatboi leave 70 alone lol that guy had Ken Herock as an equal to TD.

Good thread G-Dawg.

This team is the most loaded with talent we’ve ever had.With these salaries and paying our own guys like Jarrett for example is the prudent way to spend cash not go shopping for strangers or complaining about what he’s worth.

We should actually be celebrating the fact we are able to keep guys like Ryan Jones x 2 Jarrett Trufant Allen and alike around for as long as there play dictates it.

Drafting has always been the key to long term consistent success in this league.If we continue to do so I think as above the TD 2008 era will go down as probably thee most successful in the history of the franchise.

Tim Mazetti and g-dawg like this

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

TDs biggest strength to me is his ability to adapt to the change in structure and people he works with.With MS and Snead Caldwell and co he was great.Losing those 2 guys to can’t be underestimated much like the loss of Pioli this year m really interested to see if himself and the rest can make up the ground losing a guy like the mentioned.

g-dawg and FalconsIn2020 like this

5 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

TDs biggest strength to me is his ability to adapt to the change in structure and people he works with.With MS and Snead Caldwell and co he was great.Losing those 2 guys to can’t be underestimated much like the loss of Pioli this year m really interested to see if himself and the rest can make up the ground losing a guy like the mentioned.

And his willingness to shelve his ego after Blank mandated a shakeup in the FO after 2014

kiwifalcon and Atl Falcon like this

28 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

agreed - if you remember when we all got into the big arguments about TD - and came out the other end onto the SuperBowl - I said more than picking players - what saved TD was his ability to change, adapt and ability to humble himself - because there was a time where he was losing some power that it would have been easy to get pizzed off and storm out of Flowery Branch - and he didn't do it.

Vandy, kiwifalcon and Atl Falcon like this

56 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Cmon Fatboi leave 70 alone lol that guy had Ken Herock as an equal to TD.

Good thread G-Dawg.

This team is the most loaded with talent we’ve ever had.With these salaries and paying our own guys like Jarrett for example is the prudent way to spend cash not go shopping for strangers or complaining about what he’s worth.

We should actually be celebrating the fact we are able to keep guys like Ryan Jones x 2 Jarrett Trufant Allen and alike around for as long as there play dictates it.

Drafting has always been the key to long term consistent success in this league.If we continue to do so I think as above the TD 2008 era will go down as probably thee most successful in the history of the franchise.

Can already go down as the best era for drafting- but TD will have to prove he can do it without Pioli and DQ. Things really got good when Pioli and DQ came aboard. There were a lot of shakes and raddles with TD until they got here.

59 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

With that being said, was Snead, Caldwel,l Pioli, etc replaced with any one of any experience, or did we hire from within?