Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FalconsIn2020

“Team Killers” - Matt Ryan

58 posts in this topic

Some pretty nice insight from PFF.  They label Matt Ryan the Saints “Team Killer”

PFF calls Matt Ryan a 'team killer' against the Saints

The analysts at Pro Football Focus have graded and charted every NFL game back to the 2006 season, and they recently put together a list of “team killers,” or players that have logged the highest grades against each of the 32 teams. That’s good news for New Orleans Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas, who received a nod for his efforts against the Atlanta Falcons. Saints quarterback Drew Brees was praised for his consistently great performances against the Carolina Panthers.

However, PFF picked out Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan as the bane of the Saints, hyping up his individual performance in 21 career games against New Orleans:

The trend of elite quarterbacks — which Ryan is — dominating divisional opponents continues with the Saints. Against New Orleans, Matt Ryan has racked up 523 completions on 797 attempts for 6,354 yards, 39 touchdowns and just 13 interceptions. While his 51 big-time throws lead all quarterbacks in the matchup by 21, his 11 turnover-worthy plays are fewer than fellow NFC South quarterback Cam Newton (12).

While Ryan has generally made good decisions with the ball and aired out some porous Saints defenses in his time, it hasn’t amounted to much. Ryan has lost more career games against the Saints (13) than any other opponent. That’s nearly as many losses to the Saints as he’s suffered against the other NFC South teams — the Panthers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers — combined (15). 

Ergo Proxy likes this

And statistically, Ryan has no peer since the end of 2015.  Won 3 playoff games.  Yet somehow Cam Newton made the list of elite QB’s three years running.

2019 NFL QB tiers: Who's a franchise guy? A rising star? A place holder? Here's where your starter ranks

Tier 1: Bona Fide Franchise Quarterbacks

2017: Aaron RodgersTom BradyRussell WilsonDrew BreesBen RoethlisbergerCam Newton

2018: Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Brees, Roethlisberger, Newton, Carson Wentz

2019: Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Brees, Roethlisberger, Newton, Patrick MahomesAndrew Luck

This is the highest of terrain, reserved for men who have won MVPs and rings, or, in several cases, both. It isn't easy to crack, but Mahomes, throwing 50 touchdowns passes in what amounts to his rookie season and nearly slaying the Pats to get to the Super Bowl, um, yeah, that will qualify. Wentz drops down, with injuries slowing his ascent, though I could see him right back here in 2020. I believe Newton will have a bounce-back season as well: I like the assemblage of talent around him and a second year with Norv Turner will produce some big things in Carolina, says here. It's time for Rodgers to start playing week in and week out like an MVP, too, and we'll see how his relationship develops with novice head coach Matt LaFleur. Luck has been destined for this tier for a while, and with the way he played last year, after missing so much time to serious injury and worrying if he'd ever make it back, I suspect that by January no one is arguing against him being in the top eight passers on the planet.

Ergo Proxy likes this

44 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

And statistically, Ryan has no peer since the end of 2015.  Won 3 playoff games.  Yet somehow Cam Newton made the list of elite QB’s three years running.

2019 NFL QB tiers: Who's a franchise guy? A rising star? A place holder? Here's where your starter ranks

Tier 1: Bona Fide Franchise Quarterbacks

2017: Aaron RodgersTom BradyRussell WilsonDrew BreesBen RoethlisbergerCam Newton

2018: Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Brees, Roethlisberger, Newton, Carson Wentz

2019: Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Brees, Roethlisberger, Newton, Patrick MahomesAndrew Luck

This is the highest of terrain, reserved for men who have won MVPs and rings, or, in several cases, both. It isn't easy to crack, but Mahomes, throwing 50 touchdowns passes in what amounts to his rookie season and nearly slaying the Pats to get to the Super Bowl, um, yeah, that will qualify. Wentz drops down, with injuries slowing his ascent, though I could see him right back here in 2020. I believe Newton will have a bounce-back season as well: I like the assemblage of talent around him and a second year with Norv Turner will produce some big things in Carolina, says here. It's time for Rodgers to start playing week in and week out like an MVP, too, and we'll see how his relationship develops with novice head coach Matt LaFleur. Luck has been destined for this tier for a while, and with the way he played last year, after missing so much time to serious injury and worrying if he'd ever make it back, I suspect that by January no one is arguing against him being in the top eight passers on the planet.

Jason whatever is an idiot anyway. Cam is like a tier 3 or 4 QB. 

36 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Jason whatever is an idiot anyway. Cam is like a tier 3 or 4 QB. 

Cam's number one receiver is his running back which means he is captain dump off. He is not a good passer in any sense of the word.

PokerSteve, Emmitt and Ergo Proxy like this

5 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Ryan has lost more career games against the Saints (13) than any other opponent. That’s nearly as many losses to the Saints as he’s suffered against the other NFC South teams

What type of BS stat is this? When you're the 2nd longest QB in the division for the past 11 seasons and you play the Saints twice a year? Then of course expect this to happen! This stat is so unfair and part of the writer's agenda to find something negative to say. 

Yeah, couldn't possibly be that the Saints were a much better team for much of Ryan's tenure here.If the Falcons defense had allowed 20 or fewer points in the 21 games played, Ryan would be 17-4 against the Saints.

PokerSteve and Ergo Proxy like this

3 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

LOLWUT

Deion Jones calls bull**** on this.

:lol:

Ryan’s career stats are pretty good against us, but that 8-13 record makes me as a Saints fan give that nod to Deion Jones. Real talk.

Ryan has torched you guys. The problem is our defense has been equally as bad as yalls many years and so it ends up being a shootout. Until recently Brees was clearly the better QB every year + Sean Payton is a better offensive mind than any guy we have had outside of Shanny so yall won most of the shootouts.

Perfect example is the first game last year. Ryan's statline was 74.3%, 374 yards, 5 TDs, 0 INTs and a 148.3 QB Rating (Highest ever in a regular season loss w/ 25+ attempts)

"Ryan's 148.1 passer rating is the highest passer rating in a loss in the Super Bowl-era, per NFL Research (minimum 25 attempts). The previous high was owned by former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (141.3 in 2011)." Link

In no way should we have lost that game but our defense was horrific and yalls offense was equally better. That has been a common problem since Ryan was drafted when we have faced off against you guys.

Emmitt, JDaveG, PokerSteve and 5 others like this

2 hours ago, mqg96 said:

What type of BS stat is this? When you're the 2nd longest QB in the division for the past 11 seasons and you play the Saints twice a year? Then of course expect this to happen! This stat is so unfair and part of the writer's agenda to find something negative to say. 

I was about to make a post saying exactly what you said here,, This Article is Crazy,, here's the great thing about this,, people have to search hard to try and make up a case against Ryan,,  But the Truth is all that matters.. and at the end of the day,, we are going to be a top 4 this year , Good Lord willing and if Iron Man Ryan can be that man one more year.. Here is hoping and praying for health,, that's all we need this year. We have everything else ,, and that is the first time I've ever said that about this team.         

Yes, I've said it many times since the draft.. but that's because I'm very excited, more so than any other year I've been following this team since 1973,, a Fan for 46 years...  The only other time I've been this excited was the day we drafted Julio Jones... I had pegged him the year we drafted him as a player I knew who ever got him would be one lucky team.. I knew we were needing a WR really bad, and the FO had said they would love to get a larger WR.. But deep down I thought it would be to good to be true.  When they called his name on draft day.. I'd love to have a video on myself... It was crazy.

Tim Mazetti and mqg96 like this

3 hours ago, mqg96 said:

What exactly is wrong with what the article says? Ryan has played Saints and Bucs and Panthers all the same number of times, but he has lost to Saints almost as many times as the other two combined, even though he has statistically had his best games against the Saints. Why does this have to do with how long Matt’s been in the division? 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

When I watched Julio broad jump at the combine ,, If  I remember correctly,, it was like 10' 11",, I think it's an all time record...I may be wrong on that but it was close to the record. That blew my mind.. just seeing him do that.. I thought this guy is a freak of nature. And he is .. 

Oh yeah!!! I just remembered,, He had a fractures bone in the foot!!!  You think that didn't make me want this player more than any other..?? Oh yeah..  I think the other player I was hoping for the most was Matt Ryan.  Really glad we got him also.

3 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I don’t think you’re understanding the article.  It’s praising Ryan, saying no QB in the NFL has done more damage to the Saints than Ryan.  Clearly he has done more than his share to give us a chance to win each time we play the Saints.

Ergo Proxy likes this

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I don’t think you’re understanding the article.  It’s praising Ryan, saying no QB in the NFL has done more damage to the Saints than Ryan.  Clearly he has done more than his share to give us a chance to win each time we play the Saints.

Yep. He overtook Joe Montana last year for most TD against Aints. **** that good Ole NFC west. 

5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

La Confora is an utter moron

Yeah, how he puts Newton in that category for 3 straight years is a head scratcher.  Ryan has unarguably been a top 4 QB since the end of 2015.  1st Team All Pro, MVP yet can’t crack JL’s top 10 one single time?

5 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Yep. He overtook Joe Montana last year for most TD against Aints. **** that good Ole NFC west. 

Still have no clue how the Eastern most franchise was put into the NFC West

A lot of close games with the Aints.  Even Brees has made the statement it usually comes down to who has the ball last that will get the win.  The Saints game is my favorite 2 all season, good exciting football with a lot of pride and fight on both sides.  I

1 minute ago, nomak said:

A lot of close games with the Aints.  Even Brees has made the statement it usually comes down to who has the ball last that will get the win.  The Saints game is my favorite 2 all season, good exciting football with a lot of pride and fight on both sides.  I

Most under appreciated rivalry in North American sports

Iron Saint likes this

54 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Yeah, how he puts Newton in that category for 3 straight years is a head scratcher.  Ryan has unarguably been a top 4 QB since the end of 2015.  1st Team All Pro, MVP yet can’t crack JL’s top 10 one single time?

Newton is also a puss. You hit him hard or hurt his feelings and he turns into a little girl. Don’t make him dive into a pile in the playoffs to secure a ball he fumbled either.  He’d rather his team be eliminated from playoffs than hurt his puss.

Ryan is tough as nails, nothing rattles him. He’ll absorb a vicious hit just to complete a second down pass.  Ryan is one of the grittiest, toughest players in the entire NFL. 

11 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Newton is also a puss. You hit him hard or hurt his feelings and he turns into a little girl. Don’t make him dive into a pile in the playoffs to secure a ball he fumbled either.  He’d rather his team be eliminated from playoffs than hurt his puss.

Ryan is tough as nails, nothing rattles him. He’ll absorb a vicious hit just to complete a second down pass.  Ryan is one of the grittiest, toughest players in the entire NFL. 

This gif says it all.  Incredible talent.  But the SB on the line and a business decision was made. 

giphy.gif

gazoo likes this

6 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

LOLWUT

Deion Jones calls bull**** on this.

:lol:

Ryan’s career stats are pretty good against us, but that 8-13 record makes me as a Saints fan give that nod to Deion Jones. Real talk.

Solid point. But even you have to admit your fan base definitely does not give Ryan enough respect