Sun Tzu 7

Grady Cap Hits Per Spotrac

32 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, theProf said:

....  However, Spotrac prorated the Option Bonus over the entire 4-year contract period at $750,000 per year beginning in 2019, which I believe is in error. I don't think there should be any prorated Option bonus in 2019, and that there should be $1 million prorated option bonus beginning in 2020, and not Spotrac's $750,000 prorated amount...

Understand, and would tend to take your word over spotrac's, but teams can do so many things inside the cap. Lets see what happens when Over The Cap gets his numbers up and see what they say.

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Yup.  If he produces, you extend and minimize the 2022 CAP implications.   It’s a clever contract by TD.  I’m a bit surprised Grady camp allowed for such an unknown in Year 4

From their side he either gets 21m or more likely he gets cut and has a chance at another pay day. I'd do it.

On 7/16/2019 at 0:26 PM, theProf said:

I don't think that Spotrac is correct in how they are determining the Cap-hit each year for Grady's new contract.  If you look at the details of the contract, there is an $18 million Signing Bonus, which Spotrac is correctly prorating over the 4-year contract period at $4,500,000 million per year. There is also an Option Bonus of $3 million, which will be paid at the beginning of the second year of the contract, ie in 2020. Option Bonuses are prorated over the remaining contract term, which should be for the remining  3 years of the contract or $1 million per year for 2020, 2021, and 2022.  However, Spotrac prorated the Option Bonus over the entire 4-year contract period at $750,000 per year beginning in 2019, which I believe is in error. I don't think there should be any prorated Option bonus in 2019, and that there should be $1 million prorated option bonus beginning in 2020, and not Spotrac's $750,000 prorated amount.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/grady-jarrett-16863/

If I am correct in this matter, then Grady's Cap-hit should be $11 million in 2019 (not $11,750,000), $16 million in 2020 (not $15,750,000), $19 million in 2021 (not $18,750,000) and $22 million in 2022 (not $21,750,000).

Over the Cap agrees with you- they have his cap hit for this year as 11 mil.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/atlanta-falcons/

On 7/15/2019 at 3:16 PM, Geneaut said:

Those look reasonable to me.

Enough time to where when that 21 million hits we can reup him for another 4 or 5 years and extend him to the end of his career

Geneaut likes this

Posted (edited)

On 7/15/2019 at 6:21 PM, TheDirtyWordII said:

What was very smart was to front load the deal...it only creates an additional $3.5M this year, but who cares.  Team is set...$3.5M allows for veteran addition flexibility like a Bruce Irvin if such an opportunity presents itself.

By front loading, the salary’s in Years 2-4 aren’t so onerous.

Front loaded deals are not all advantageous to the team.  If the player is still performing later in the contract, then he will want a new contract.  If the player doesn't perform, then the team is already on the hook for the pro-rated guaranteed money.

There is no such thing as "locking up a player" as they are always going to be looking for "new money".  Julio is a prime example.

Edited by JeffAtl