Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doug Carlton

Falcons players react to Madden 20 ratings

159 posts in this topic

It's really fascinating. I was joking with a friend of mine that Falcons players inherently get deducted 2-4 rating points for the logo alone. That's Madden, PFF, fan sentiment, etc. No way Ridley should be worse than DJ Moore, whom he easily outperformed, and Kenny Stills, a mediocre vet who's never produced like Ridley. A guy like Matt still doesn't get the respect he deserves. 

8 minutes ago, vel said:

It's really fascinating. I was joking with a friend of mine that Falcons players inherently get deducted 2-4 rating points for the logo alone. That's Madden, PFF, fan sentiment, etc. No way Ridley should be worse than DJ Moore, whom he easily outperformed, and Kenny Stills, a mediocre vet who's never produced like Ridley. A guy like Matt still doesn't get the respect he deserves. 

This year’s Madden is different. They are making more of a gap between players. Speed has always been weighted more heavily than other stats. With the addition of special abilities, I think it’ll be a more interesting game. 

10 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

This year’s Madden is different. They are making more of a gap between players. Speed has always been weighted more heavily than other stats. With the addition of special abilities, I think it’ll be a more interesting game. 

What did DJ Moore show that would warrant him being better than Ridley? 

Ridley is 79 overall, 77 awareness, 93 speed, 93 acceleration, 95 agility, 58 strength

Moore is 81 overall, 80 awareness, 93 speed, 93 acceleration, 92 agility, 66 strength

Make it make sense. 

Ergo Proxy and Emmitt like this

17 minutes ago, vel said:

Ridley is 79 overall, 77 awareness, 93 speed, 93 acceleration, 95 agility, 58 strength

Moore is 81 overall, 80 awareness, 93 speed, 93 acceleration, 92 agility, 66 strength

Make it make sense. 

I don't know how it is anymore but strength used to count for a good portion. 

54 minutes ago, vel said:

There is a running joke in parallel with this concept:  any VT recruit will automatically get a full star raise if said recruit goes somewhere else. Like a 3* at VT will be a 4* elsewhere. It’s automatic. 

vel likes this

14 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Julio not a 99 but Hopkins is? Cmon man. And Jake gets a 79 after he had his best season and made the pro bowl?

Jake and Ryan were the biggest snubs to me. Jake is a 85 or so and Matt’s overall rating as an NFL QB; especially after last year if it’s about recency bias, needs to be up where Rivers is. In fact, a couple QBs could be a little higher and others lower.

I guess Ridley is being given the “Julio makes my job easier treatment” like Ryan? :shrug:

Drew4719 likes this

1 hour ago, vel said:

Make it make sense. 

And regarding awareness, Ridley is easily a more polished WR than Moore. Dude should be ahead in that category at least.

Just now, The Daywalker said:

No doubt! Like to see Campbell back on D next year as well!

Yes. He needs to stay. Might be a cap casualty. But he can cover TEs with the best of them. 

Ergo Proxy and The Daywalker like this

1 minute ago, The Daywalker said:

No doubt! Like to see Campbell back on D next year as well!

Tough to give deals to Neal, Deebo, Hoop and Campbell with our cap.

11 minutes ago, BirdGangATL said:

Tough to give deals to Neal, Deebo, Hoop and Campbell with our cap.

Unless we keep the younger core and let Sanu go/allow Calvin to step up.

1 hour ago, Drew4719 said:

Julio not a 99 but Hopkins is? Cmon man. And Jake gets a 79 after he had his best season and made the pro bowl?

To be fair Dhop has zero drops, 115 receptions and 11 TDs. He has played lights out the past two seasons. 

2 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

We need to keep this cat on board for as long as possible. 

Jalen Collins doesn't get enough credit for his play in those two playoff games. Wrapping the game up tipping the ball up to Deion and especially in the NFC championship game with the strip. Too bad about everything else. 

Drew4719 and cwell1 like this

2 hours ago, vel said:

Make it make sense. 

I’m not condoning the stats. I’m simply pointing out that their are mitigating factors in this season of Madden. The weights may have changed and the new abilities might be weighted as well. There’s a lot of unknowns on the table 

Ergo Proxy likes this

14 minutes ago, Dem Birds said:

Jalen Collins doesn't get enough credit for his play in those two playoff games. Wrapping the game up tipping the ball up to Deion and especially in the NFC championship game with the strip. Too bad about everything else. 

That strip was a thing of beauty!  Total game changer. And the irony of this name. RIPkowski

Dem Birds likes this

12 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I’m not condoning the stats. I’m simply pointing out that their are mitigating factors in this season of Madden. The weights may have changed and the new abilities might be weighted as well. There’s a lot of unknowns on the table 

Hopefully they fine tune the new system over time.

Matt should have a bonus along the lines of becoming an offensive mastermind in year 2 under any coordinator and perform better the longer he is in the same system or with the same coach. :tiphat: Dude is a machine that takes a beating and keeps on producing.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, vel said:

It's really fascinating. I was joking with a friend of mine that Falcons players inherently get deducted 2-4 rating points for the logo alone. That's Madden, PFF, fan sentiment, etc. No way Ridley should be worse than DJ Moore, whom he easily outperformed, and Kenny Stills, a mediocre vet who's never produced like Ridley.

While I agree Ridley is by far better than DJ Moore, to say Stills hasn’t ever produced like Ridley is asinine.

Stills is averaging 16.0 yards/reception for his career and never had a season below 14.6 yards/reception. Ridley was at 12.8 yards/reception last year.

And that’s in spite of Stills lower target numbers. Ridley had 92 targets last year (catching 64 for 821 yards). Stills has only had 1 year with more than 92 targets (2017) and he had 847 yards on only 58 catches leading to a better average than Ridley had last year.

Ridley certainly has him in TD’s though, but Stills isn’t targeted on the goal-line nearly as much as Ridley. 6 of Ridley’s 10 TD’s last year came from inside the red zone. Only 9 of Stills’ 32 career TD’s are from the red zone with 13 TD’s being from 40+ (of which Ridley has 3 so far).

Ridley was a stud coming out of college and is going to remain a very productive player for many years but still, the original premise was just considerably off. If anything, Moore being ranked as high as Stills and Ridley should be an insult to them.

Edited by Iron Saint