FalconsIn2020

23 Million In CAP: How Will TD Use It

84 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

Thank you for your common sense

So you skipped the part where he says "which will likely be around 13m"

Guess what 13 plus 10 equalsssss :slick:

12 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Between Grady and Julio.... that's probably all the cap space for this year with a little left over.

They won't have the space for Deion's unless they backload the cap hits.

They are trying to finalize Debo soon per Scheffter.  I think Julio is 3rd in line

1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

The answer is we don’t know how much cap we have until the numbers come out, not that we have 23 mill like OP said :tiphat:

13 minutes ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

So you didn't want to answer the question. I can understand why. No need to answer now. I'll answer yours though.

Because we are unaware of the contract details the question fits.

"How will TD use the 23 mil?"

"Answer - Let's say he used 12 on Grady and will use 4 on Julio and 2 on Debo. That gives is 4 mil in cap space"

It's so easy....

I am at a loss for words that this needs to be explained.  Thanks for helping

As you said, Grady isn’t playing for free. I felt that was implied.  

6 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

They are trying to finalize Debo soon per Scheffter.  I think Julio is 3rd in line

Possibly but I think they could push Debo's deal into next year if needed.  

Julio's extension on the other hand has to get done this year considering they kicked the can down the road last year.

18 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

The answer is we don’t know how much cap we have until the numbers come out, not that we have 23 mill like OP said :tiphat:

We do now.  It’s a 6.5 mill salary for 2019 and add in 1/4 of 18 million signing bonus. 

So his CAP dropped around 5.5 million.  

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

We do now.  It’s a 6.5 mill salary for 2019 and add in 1/4 of 18 million signing bonus. 

So his CAP dropped around 5.5 million.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/15/grady-jarrett-gets-42-5-million-fully-guaranteed-as-a-practical-matter-at-signing/

42.5 guaranteed so a little over 10 a year for the cap hit.... again depending on how they structure it. 

ButSkiuup likes this

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/15/grady-jarrett-gets-42-5-million-fully-guaranteed-as-a-practical-matter-at-signing/

42.5 guaranteed so a little over 10 a year for the cap hit.... again depending on how they structure it. 

The guy is clueless. He doesn’t understand that until they reveal the cap hits for EACH year, MORE IMPORTANTLY THIS YEAR, we don’t know how much cap we have right now, yet he makes a thread saying we have 23 mill cap space 

1 hour ago, athell said:

Yea but he is getting at the age where it makes no sense to lock him up to a long term deal.  He is approaching yearly contracts age.  Not that he isn't hugely important, he is, he is just getting to that age where a long term deal could end up being bad for the team.

Where did I say long term deal? In my post you quoted I said another year or two. Nowhere did I say to give the guy a 3 or 4 year deal, lol. 

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I’m not sure how they are fitting in 18 million on next years CAP...hmmm

Because they figure out what's fully guaranteed.. meaning if you cut him tomorrow then he's still going to get paid that so it will still count against your salary cap.  Then they figure out how to spread it.

Then you add in potential escalators roster bonuses.

A better way to put it is his minimum cap hit is going to be 42.5 divided by 4 years.

The non-guaranteed money, (68 - 42.5), that counts but not until he gets paid so those cap hits go on the end of the deal.  So if they cut him, right now, he still counts 42.5 million against the cap but they can't spread it.

Typically teams like to give themselves an out after 3 years so his guaranteed money will probably be paid out in the first 3 years... so his cap hit will probably be about 14 million a year for the first 3 years and the last year will be all the remaining 25 million.

So basically this is a 3 year deal and the Falcons cut or resign him in 3 years.

9 minutes ago, shock said:

Where did I say long term deal? In my post you quoted I said another year or two. Nowhere did I say to give the guy a 3 or 4 year deal, lol. 

I musta misread what you said...

shock likes this

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Because they figure out what's fully guaranteed.. meaning if you cut him tomorrow then he's still going to get paid that so it will still count against your salary cap.  Then they figure out how to spread it.

Then you add in potential escalators roster bonuses.

A better way to put it is his minimum cap hit is going to be 42.5 divided by 4 years.

The non-guaranteed money, (68 - 42.5), that counts but not until he gets paid so those cap hits go on the end of the deal.  So if they cut him, right now, he still counts 42.5 million against the cap but they can't spread it.

Typically teams like to give themselves an out after 3 years so his guaranteed money will probably be paid out in the first 3 years... so his cap hit will probably be about 14 million a year for the first 3 years and the last year will be all the remaining 25 million.

So basically this is a 3 year deal and the Falcons cut or resign him in 3 years.

I know how they came up with the number.  I’ll just be interested to see how we fit it under the CAP since we are now likely over the 2020 number.  Our top 51 contracts are now $200,000,000

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I know how they came up with the number.  I’ll just be interested to see how we fit it under the CAP since we are now likely over the 2020 number.  Our top 51 contracts are now $200,000,000

Cut Sanu, Allen, Schaub, Sambrilio... maybe Freeman.

It's an ugly numbers game.

Oh and Spotrac has Grady's numbers in the hits now.

11 this year

15.75 next year

18.75 year 3

21 year 4 but only a 5 million cap hit for cutting him.

FalconsIn2020 and Ergo Proxy like this

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I thought that was self explanatory, honestly...

Although the math wasn't right, I understand what you were trying to say. How would the cap money be split up between the 3, including Grady's ~11 mil.

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, apl2g said:

No we have 23 mill according to the OP :D

Edited by ButSkiuup
apl2g likes this

3 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Sounds like TD has Grady & Debo locked up. I suspect a 20 APY deal in principal is agreed upon with Julio.

So we have 23 million in CAP space. How do y’all think TD divides it up?

Confirmed wrong :tiphat:

1 hour ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

So do we have 23 mill in cap yet :tiphat:

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Cut Sanu, Allen, Schaub, Sambrilio... maybe Freeman.

It's an ugly numbers game.

Oh and Spotrac has Grady's numbers in the hits now.

11 this year

15.75 next year

18.75 year 3

21 year 4 but only a 5 million cap hit for cutting him.

Pretty much

Ergo Proxy likes this

38 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

Confirmed wrong :tiphat:

What exactly do you not understand?

They had 23 million to spend.  The team opted to use 11 of that on Grady.  They could have used all 23 mill on him or just $500,000.    

As TD constructed the deal, it leaves 12 million for Debo & Julio.  That was the point of the thread.  

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

46 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

So do we have 23 mill in cap yet :tiphat:

Shannon Sharpe doesn’t like it when you use his catchphrase btw

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Shhh, I wanna see how deep he digs. :munch:

Don’t tempt me to go into stubborn butthead mode.  I actually think you have the cheat code to put me there...lol 

Anyway, it is a great day to be a Falcons fan.  This was a win-win deal for both sides

Yo_Lover, Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this