Jump to content

Schefter: Falcons now pivot to Deion Jones - meeting w/ agent already scheduled


Recommended Posts

 

Now that the Falcons have reached agreement on a $68 million deal with Grady Jarrett, Atlanta is turning its attention to LB Deion Jones. Falcons and Jones’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, scheduled for face-to-face negotiations in Atlanta on Wednesday, per source. Another deal in works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beat me to it @g-dawg, I'll delete mine but copy over this because it's important: I will say this, which I know will probably fall on def ears, Thomas Dimitroff is good at his job.  Very good. 

Adam Schefter   ✔@AdamSchefter     Now that the Falcons have reached agreement on a $68 million deal with Grady Jarrett, Atlanta is turning its attentio

I'm glad to see this.   if we get Debo locked down w/ Jarrett - the defensive corps is safe for the next 4-5 years.   No one else on the defense is untouchable - Falcon will look to be adding more fro

Just now, athell said:

Beat me to it @g-dawg, I'll delete mine but copy over this because it's important:

I will say this, which I know will probably fall on def ears, Thomas Dimitroff is good at his job.  Very good.  Especially when it comes to contracts and the cap.  People need to sit back and let him do his thing before freaking out over rumors and speculation.  TD is excellent at what he does, and he deserves some shadow of the doubt.

Don't forget Nick Polk - he is the cap guru that serves under Dimitroff.    While it is TD's show, Polk is the one that keeps us out of salary cap purgatory - and need a lot of smoke-n-mirrors these days to pull that off.  We are probably gonna have to keep re-working Matt Ryan's deal to keep opening up cap space in the next few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Don't forget Nick Polk - he is the cap guru that serves under Dimitroff.    While it is TD's show, Polk is the one that keeps us out of salary cap purgatory - and need a lot of smoke-n-mirrors these days to pull that off.  We are probably gonna have to keep re-working Matt Ryan's deal to keep opening up cap space in the next few years.

There are always moves to be made bro.  I have faith.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So glad we’re looking to lock up our core defensive players rather than paying a WR more $ that’s already on a deal . 

@FalconsIn2020 I said the other day . Jarrett, Debo than Julio . TD is showing me something .. not that I’m anybody but I value our young core more than any other player . I like it . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GeorgiaBoyz said:

So glad we’re looking to lock up our core defensive players rather than paying a WR more $ that’s already on a deal . 

@FalconsIn2020 I said the other day . Jarrett, Debo than Julio . TD is showing me something .. not that I’m anybody but I value our young core more than any other player . I like it . 

We are at 22 million in CAP space now.  Interested to see how TD divides it up between the 3 and how much is rolled over

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

We are at 22 million in CAP space now.  Interested to see how TD divides it up between the 3 and how much is rolled over

We'll probably slot in around $15MM. That $22MM isn't taking into account Grady's hit, it just removed his tag. Still, a good chunk of money with Julio's deal coming to free up more too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, vel said:

We'll probably slot in around $15MM. That $22MM isn't taking into account Grady's hit, it just removed his tag. Still, a good chunk of money with Julio's deal coming to free up more too. 

That’s what I am saying.  How will we split the 23 between Grady & The Jones’s

I’d just give all 3 an 8 million CAP hit for 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

That’s what I am saying.  How will we split the 23 between Grady & The Jones’s

I’d just give all 3 an 8 million CAP hit for 2019

No. Grady will be a new hit, around $8MMish. Julio's is already accounted for on the cap, so if anything his will go down. And Debo's isn't changing, his deal would be an extension. So after the Julio deal, that cap space is all free cap that they probably intend to roll over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If Debo gets the same overall as Grady, it would almost definitely be an extension since he has a year left.  It would be 4 years, $68 million in new money, but effectively about 5 years, $70 million going forward.  I figure they would probably raise his cap hit a bit for this year from the ~$1.5 million it currently is.  I'd say add another $5 million this year for Debo and his contract would be very reasonable in future years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vel said:

No. Grady will be a new hit, around $8MMish. Julio's is already accounted for on the cap, so if anything his will go down. And Debo's isn't changing, his deal would be an extension. So after the Julio deal, that cap space is all free cap that they probably intend to roll over. 

You don’t think they will want to assume some of Debo’s contract this year while we have the CAP? 

 Let’s say Julio drops to 10, Grady is 8, that leaves 5-6 million we could add on to Debo’s 1.8 mill

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vel said:

No. Grady will be a new hit, around $8MMish. Julio's is already accounted for on the cap, so if anything his will go down. And Debo's isn't changing, his deal would be an extension. So after the Julio deal, that cap space is all free cap that they probably intend to roll over. 

Trade for clowney, let Beasley walk next year. Recoup traded pick. 

 

Dream world. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

You don’t think they will want to assume much of Debo’s CAP hit this year while we have the money.  Let’s say Julio drops to 10, Grady is 8, that leaves 5-6 million we could add on to Debo’s 1.8 mill

If he gets a signing bonus, it will go up. If anything, like you said, it's $5-6MM potentially added to his hit, but that still leaves over $10MM rolling over. Rolled over cap space is more valuable than spending it in the current year because it's paired with the cap increase that every other team gets. So as contracts continue to rise in conjunction with the rising cap, the older money has more value. Take it in terms of current contracts: Julio's contract is valuable to the team because the rising cap has lowered his contract value. The savings from Julio's contract allowed other moves to be made (i.e. overkilling on the OL). The same applies to rolled over cap space. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...