g-dawg

Schefter: Falcons now pivot to Deion Jones - meeting w/ agent already scheduled

108 posts in this topic

Now that the Falcons have reached agreement on a $68 million deal with Grady Jarrett, Atlanta is turning its attention to LB Deion Jones. Falcons and Jones’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, scheduled for face-to-face negotiations in Atlanta on Wednesday, per source. Another deal in works.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Now that the Falcons have reached agreement on a $68 million deal with Grady Jarrett, Atlanta is turning its attention to LB Deion Jones. Falcons and Jones’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, scheduled for face-to-face negotiations in Atlanta on Wednesday, per source. Another deal in works.

Rosenhaus?

Ugh.

Xero likes this

I'm glad to see this.   if we get Debo locked down w/ Jarrett - the defensive corps is safe for the next 4-5 years.   No one else on the defense is untouchable - Falcon will look to be adding more front 7 players in 2020 draft.

Just now, athell said:

Beat me to it @g-dawg, I'll delete mine but copy over this because it's important:

I will say this, which I know will probably fall on def ears, Thomas Dimitroff is good at his job.  Very good.  Especially when it comes to contracts and the cap.  People need to sit back and let him do his thing before freaking out over rumors and speculation.  TD is excellent at what he does, and he deserves some shadow of the doubt.

Don't forget Nick Polk - he is the cap guru that serves under Dimitroff.    While it is TD's show, Polk is the one that keeps us out of salary cap purgatory - and need a lot of smoke-n-mirrors these days to pull that off.  We are probably gonna have to keep re-working Matt Ryan's deal to keep opening up cap space in the next few years.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I'm glad to see this.   if we get Debo locked down w/ Jarrett - the defensive corps is safe for the next 4-5 years.   No one else on the defense is untouchable - Falcon will look to be adding more front 7 players in 2020 draft.

Is there room to sign both Julio and Deion Jones?  The 2020 and 2021 caps are gonna be upside down.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Don't forget Nick Polk - he is the cap guru that serves under Dimitroff.    While it is TD's show, Polk is the one that keeps us out of salary cap purgatory - and need a lot of smoke-n-mirrors these days to pull that off.  We are probably gonna have to keep re-working Matt Ryan's deal to keep opening up cap space in the next few years.

There are always moves to be made bro.  I have faith.

So glad we’re looking to lock up our core defensive players rather than paying a WR more $ that’s already on a deal . 

@FalconsIn2020 I said the other day . Jarrett, Debo than Julio . TD is showing me something .. not that I’m anybody but I value our young core more than any other player . I like it . 

Just now, GeorgiaBoyz said:

So glad we’re looking to lock up our core defensive players rather than paying a WR more $ that’s already on a deal . 

@FalconsIn2020 I said the other day . Jarrett, Debo than Julio . TD is showing me something .. not that I’m anybody but I value our young core more than any other player . I like it . 

We are at 22 million in CAP space now.  Interested to see how TD divides it up between the 3 and how much is rolled over

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

We are at 22 million in CAP space now.  Interested to see how TD divides it up between the 3 and how much is rolled over

22 mil under .. sweet ! Should be more than enough cheese to get both Jones’s done . 

PokerSteve and FalconsIn2020 like this

The CAP man yet still folks worry about this when all in all who cares.

Move your attention to the draft if your going to worry about something worry about future drafts.As long as we draft well the cap becomes less and less of an issue.

Im waiting for a lot to realise this.

athell likes this

10 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

We'll probably slot in around $15MM. That $22MM isn't taking into account Grady's hit, it just removed his tag. Still, a good chunk of money with Julio's deal coming to free up more too. 

15 minutes ago, The Legendary SB said:

Is there room to sign both Julio and Deion Jones?  The 2020 and 2021 caps are gonna be upside down.

The Cap is increasing ~$10 million a season these next two years. I think we’ll be fine. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

We'll probably slot in around $15MM. That $22MM isn't taking into account Grady's hit, it just removed his tag. Still, a good chunk of money with Julio's deal coming to free up more too. 

That’s what I am saying.  How will we split the 23 between Grady & The Jones’s

I’d just give all 3 an 8 million CAP hit for 2019

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

That’s what I am saying.  How will we split the 23 between Grady & The Jones’s

I’d just give all 3 an 8 million CAP hit for 2019

No. Grady will be a new hit, around $8MMish. Julio's is already accounted for on the cap, so if anything his will go down. And Debo's isn't changing, his deal would be an extension. So after the Julio deal, that cap space is all free cap that they probably intend to roll over. 

If Debo gets the same overall as Grady, it would almost definitely be an extension since he has a year left.  It would be 4 years, $68 million in new money, but effectively about 5 years, $70 million going forward.  I figure they would probably raise his cap hit a bit for this year from the ~$1.5 million it currently is.  I'd say add another $5 million this year for Debo and his contract would be very reasonable in future years.

5 minutes ago, vel said:

No. Grady will be a new hit, around $8MMish. Julio's is already accounted for on the cap, so if anything his will go down. And Debo's isn't changing, his deal would be an extension. So after the Julio deal, that cap space is all free cap that they probably intend to roll over. 

You don’t think they will want to assume some of Debo’s contract this year while we have the CAP? 

Let’s say Julio drops to 10, Grady is 8, that leaves 5-6 million we could add on to Debo’s 1.8 mill