ATLSlobberKnockers

Make kickoffs.great again

24 posts in this topic

Ive really grown to hate kickoffs as much as p.a.t.. I honestly think punts are more exciting. What ideas do any of you think would make the play more enjoyable outside of.returning to 30 yd line?

Personally id like a team to have the option of kicking onsides at midfield. It would have the added benefit of more scoring because either team gets a shortened field. Teams rarely kick onsides now because if you dont recover the other team takes over inside your territory. However i feel it would happen more often if the other team took over between the 35-40 yd line. Your only conceeding 10-15 yds for an opportunity to regain posession. Obviously the team wouldnt be allowed to kick away from the 50. I think youhave to take away the option in the last 2-4 mins of the 4th qtr, but an onside kick is.far more.entertaining than the endless touchbacks.

eventually i feel like they are going to eliminate kickoffs all together unless they are altered in a way to reduce head injuries.

What ideas do you guys have to make the play more relevant?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to have a section in the stands of each stadium where someone is randomly selected to suit up and participate on kickoffs.  So even if there's a touch back, out-of-shape Joey from section 117 still will be running down the field and getting laid out by a professional athlete.  The comic relief and ESPN highlights would be amazing!  It's like watching the kicker try to participate, only better.  Plus, with one more worthless guy out there on the kick coverage, there would be more incentive to run the kicks out of the endzone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I'd like to have a section in the stands of each stadium where someone is randomly selected to suit up and participate on kickoffs.  So even if there's a touch back, out-of-shape Joey from section 117 still will be running down the field and getting laid out by a professional athlete.  The comic relief and ESPN highlights would be amazing!  It's like watching the kicker try to participate, only better.  Plus, with one more worthless guy out there on the kick coverage, there would be more incentive to run the kicks out of the endzone.

please make this happen. I will never miss another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scrap them entirely and have every team start from the 20/25. If you need to get the ball back go and get it back on defense

I would ban the QB kneel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple:  Move it to the 50.  Eliminate the 10 yard before kicking team can touch it rule.  Make a kick into the endzone the same as a kick out of bounds.  kick return team cannot lineup directly over the ball.  

The kickoff return team will have to line up everyone except the returner at the 50 to prevent onside kicks.  This prevents the 40 yard sprint to collision of the current kick off.  This will also increase the opportunity for an Onside kick since there is no 10 yard rule to recover.  

The penalty for out of bounds/in the endzone kicks will ensure every kick off is returned.  

On another note.... Since we are changing rules and someone mentioned the QB kneel.  

How is the QB spike not a penalty for intentional grounding?  If you want to stop the clock, take the snap and chuck the ball out of bounds.  

I also agree the Victory formation with QB taking a knee is lame.  It's football, anything can happen.  Take the snap and run the ball or QB sneak.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt they change the KO rules. The % of injuries on the old kickoffs was far higher than on any other play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just get a decent return man, who has speed and moves.  I'm tired of fair catches, and running straight ahead into the pile. Easy, Peasy !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

Simple:  Move it to the 50.  Eliminate the 10 yard before kicking team can touch it rule.  Make a kick into the endzone the same as a kick out of bounds.  kick return team cannot lineup directly over the ball.  

The kickoff return team will have to line up everyone except the returner at the 50 to prevent onside kicks.  This prevents the 40 yard sprint to collision of the current kick off.  This will also increase the opportunity for an Onside kick since there is no 10 yard rule to recover.  

The penalty for out of bounds/in the endzone kicks will ensure every kick off is returned.  

On another note.... Since we are changing rules and someone mentioned the QB kneel.  

How is the QB spike not a penalty for intentional grounding?  If you want to stop the clock, take the snap and chuck the ball out of bounds.  

I also agree the Victory formation with QB taking a knee is lame.  It's football, anything can happen.  Take the snap and run the ball or QB sneak.  

What's to stop the kicking team from just touching the football to knock it off the T, and recovering it 1 foot from the kickoff spot?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alomar said:

What's to stop the kicking team from just touching the football to knock it off the T, and recovering it 1 foot from the kickoff spot?!

Kick return team can have ppl at the ball (left/right) just not directly over it to block a kick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Scrap them entirely and have every team start from the 20/25. If you need to get the ball back go and get it back on defense

I would ban the QB kneel.

But what about all those useless flash pictures people take at kick off if the super bowl?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Scrap them entirely and have every team start from the 20/25. If you need to get the ball back go and get it back on defense

I would ban the QB kneel.

Can't see how you could really ban the kneel. They would just start "tripping "accidentally. I'm on board with that though. At least make them during run AN dives.

I want to keep kickoffs even if they all become squibbs. Make a rule where it has to bounce before midfield if need be. Wouldn't mind scrapping them in O.T. Though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, slider said:

Make it a punt from the 50 from standard punt formation with the option of faking it by the kicking team requiring a gain of 10 yds. to retain possession.

This isn't a bad idea, but I would put l.o.s. at 35 or 40 yard line. I like it

slider and DogIsYourName like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

Simple:  Move it to the 50.  Eliminate the 10 yard before kicking team can touch it rule.  Make a kick into the endzone the same as a kick out of bounds.  kick return team cannot lineup directly over the ball.  

The kickoff return team will have to line up everyone except the returner at the 50 to prevent onside kicks.  This prevents the 40 yard sprint to collision of the current kick off.  This will also increase the opportunity for an Onside kick since there is no 10 yard rule to recover.  

The penalty for out of bounds/in the endzone kicks will ensure every kick off is returned.  

On another note.... Since we are changing rules and someone mentioned the QB kneel.  

How is the QB spike not a penalty for intentional grounding?  If you want to stop the clock, take the snap and chuck the ball out of bounds.  

I also agree the Victory formation with QB taking a knee is lame.  It's football, anything can happen.  Take the snap and run the ball or QB sneak.  

Pretty.similar to what I proposed. Really dont see the need of benefit to change the 10 yd rule. And like dude said what's to keep the kicker from tapping and falling on the ball?

RichardCNile likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HMFIC said:

Just get a decent return man, who has speed and moves.  I'm tired of fair catches, and running straight ahead into the pile. Easy, Peasy !

The problem is at least 70% of kicks are through the back of the endzone.

PokerSteve likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Pretty.similar to what I proposed. Really dont see the need of benefit to change the 10 yd rule. And like dude said what's to keep the kicker from tapping and falling on the ball?

Ya. You are correct.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Can't see how you could really ban the kneel. They would just start "tripping "accidentally. I'm on board with that though. At least make them during run AN dives.

I want to keep kickoffs even if they all become squibbs. Make a rule where it has to bounce before midfield if need be. Wouldn't mind scrapping them in O.T. Though

How about in the 2 minute warning every tackle for a loss stops the clock?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

The problem is at least 70% of kicks are through the back of the endzone.

Yeah, and I'm afraid that's the first step in eliminating KOs.  Dayum shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad that all the emphasis and all the kick-off changes that have already happened and those still to come will focus entirely on eliminating the chance for injuries. I can see the sport soon being completely neutered of any and all potentially harmful/dangerous aspects. In another words, you'll be watching Sunday-in-the-park style flag football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RichardCNile said:

Kick return team can have ppl at the ball (left/right) just not directly over it to block a kick.  

But all the kicker has to do is touch the ball and then fall on it. I don't see that working at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of good ideas floating around on this thread, but y'all are heading in the wrong direction. 

These ideas would make the game better...and that's the direct opposite of what the NFL has been trying to do for the past twenty or so years.  

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Alomar said:

But all the kicker has to do is touch the ball and then fall on it. I don't see that working at all.

Simple. You could make the kicker ineligible.  Make it to where he must kick it to a teammate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now