Under 24 hours to sign Grady - Is it gonna happen?

g-dawg

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Details?

Wagner's first year he was 4% of the cap for 2016

Mosley's first year he's at 9% (and his cap hit is only going to rise)

He was overpaid. 

Julio Jones signed his contract the same year Luke Kuechly signed his deal (2015) - 4 years is an eternity in sports contracts and this is why Julio and his representation want a new deal since he is outside the top 10 of receiver contracts now.

Your comparison of Mosely/Kuechly and trying to say that applies to Donald/Jarrett - it's just not a good comparison - you should be able to admit that.   All you have to say is "it was a bad comparison".   end of discussion.

8 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

And the thing is, the only team that's going to do that is a team without a QB and tons of money to spend. 

The Browns were high on him. All they'd have to do is sign him to a massive 5 year deal with the option to cut him after 3 and they're fine.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Julio Jones signed his contract the same year Luke Kuechly signed his deal - 4 years is an eternity in sports contracts and this is why Julio and his representation want a new deal since he is outside the top 10 of receiver contracts now.

Your comparison of Mosely/Kuechly and trying to say that applies to Donald/Jarrett - it's just not a good comparison - you should be able to admit that.

You're ignoring the details lol.

Also Keuchly was around 7-8% of his teams cap space. So again Mosley got paid more than he did. Stop looking at just the numbers and check out the dEtAiLs you were going on about.

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Also Keuchly was around 7-8% of his teams cap space. So again Mosley got paid more than he did. Stop looking at just the numbers and check out the dEtAiLs you were going on about.

You’re ignoring that NFL contract numbers age incredibly fast. So bringing up a contract that’s 4 years old and comparing it to one signed this offseason makes no sense. 

6 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I got you. I thought G would actually look at the percentage Kuechly and Wagner took up of the cap vs Mosley now when they signed their deals and see that they took up less percentage than Mosley does now but I guess that doesn't matter.

If anything Grady will look at Donald and say "well he signed his deal last year and the cap rose again, so he's underpaid and I should be getting this much"

I sure hope you’re not Grady’s agent. But I suspect they started at AD as you say

Just now, shock said:

You’re ignoring that NFL contract numbers age incredibly fast. So bringing up a contract that’s 4 years old and comparing it to one signed this offseason makes no sense. 

I'm gonna say this again

AT THE TIME Wagner signed his he was at 7% of the cap

AT THE TIME Mosley signed his. he is 9% of the cap.

He got paid more.

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I sure hope you’re not Grady’s agent. But I suspect they started at AD as you say

I promise you they did. I promise you they pulled up every single PFF article they could find too. And they've mentioned how his sack totals have only increased as he's gone.

Donald is on another level but if he is getting $25m+ a year then someone out there is gonna give Grady 20m a year. It only takes one desperate team.

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

I am....details do matter - I was the one that brought details into the discussion. Percentage of salary cap isn't gonna win the day when you are talking about Aaron Donald and Grady Jarrett.   With Donald's deal only being one year old, his contract isn't out of date and other NFL teams aren't going to give Jarrett "Donald type" money.

It's irrelevant anyhow as Grady's not free and likely won't be for two more years.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I am....details do matter - I was the one that brought details into the discussion. Percentage of salary cap isn't gonna win the day when you are talking about Aaron Donald and Grady Jarrett.   With Donald's deal only being one year old, his contract isn't out of date and other NFL teams aren't going to give Jarrett "Donald type" money.

It's irrelevant anyhow as Grady's not free and likely won't be for two more years.

Didn't you post the link showing Grady was projected 15.5 mil a year or something like that? Mosley was projected at 9 and look what he got.

All I'm saying is if he ended up hitting FA he'd be getting 20m a year, easy. That's what I think the holdup is. They want FA money but the Falcons aren't willing 

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I promise you they did. I promise you they pulled up every single PFF article they could find too. And they've mentioned how his sack totals have only increased as he's gone.

Donald is on another level but if he is getting $25m+ a year then someone out there is gonna give Grady 20m a year. It only takes one desperate team.

Again,  details matter.   Aaron Donald signed a 6yr, $135mm contract with an average of $22.5mm/yr.    You just threw out an 11% increase that doesn't exist.

Further, Falcons aren't desperate - they have a 28yr old player under team control this year and likely for his age 29 season as well.   Grady's two remaining best years of his career are likely his next two years.

There should be no PANIC for the Falcons at all.  The best Grady can do is to take his average of $16.3mm/yr for the next two years or get more by signing an extension.

Just now, g-dawg said:

Again,  details matter.   Aaron Donald signed a 6yr, $135mm contract with an average of $22.5mm/yr.    You just threw out an 11% increase that doesn't exist.

Further, Falcons aren't desperate - they have a 28yr old player under team control this year and likely for his age 29 season as well.   Grady's two remaining best years of his career are likely his next two years.

There should be no PANIC for the Falcons at all.  The best Grady can do is to take his average of $16.3mm/yr for the next two years or get more by signing an extension.

Never said he'd get it from the Falcons. I said he'd get it IF he went into FA.

6 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Didn't you post the link showing Grady was projected 15.5 mil a year or something like that? Mosley was projected at 9 and look what he got.

All I'm saying is if he ended up hitting FA he'd be getting 20m a year, easy. That's what I think the holdup is. They want FA money but the Falcons aren't willing 

Projections done by media types are irrelevant.  I swear I think you and me could do better projections than the freaking media.  You can almost do it in your head with looking at the top 2-3 contracts signed in last few years, comparing the players and factoring inflation of the cap.  Leverage is factored in as well - the lack of leverage of the player counters some of the player inflation in an open market.

Like I said, you start with what you would have to pay them w/ the franchise tag the next two years as well.  If the agent doesn't want to acknowledge that reality and live in the "Aaron Donald fantasyworld" - then he won't get a deal.    Just that simple and he will serve his client poorly.

At the end of the day, it ain't how much you shoot for, it is how much you get.   Grady plays this out on the 1 year franchise tag - tears an achilles say in Game#14 - and he is F'd.

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Never said he'd get it from the Falcons. I said he'd get it IF he went into FA.

if NFL owners are smart, they will never give up the franchise tag.   While NFL is different because the rosters are so much bigger and there is a hard salary cap,  you never want the players to run the show the way it is done in the NBA.    NFL teams spend too much on college scouting to just forfeit players after 3-5 years of production.

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

@g-dawg this

Grady should get 15-16 but I think he wants 18-20

Falcons will do the 15-16 but FA is where he would get 18-20.

if that is the ground the Falcons are fighting on, then I like it.     Fletcher Cox averages $17mm - and while I deem him a better player than Grady, his contract is 3 years old already.

Give Grady $17mm/yr average and call it a day.    Wonder if TD and Co. put themselves in a pickle committing to all those mediocre offensive linemen in free agency (Sambrailo, Brown and Carpenter).    To not plan for or be willing to give Grady $17-18mm/season, I would start taking his side of the argument at that point.

20 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I'm gonna say this again

AT THE TIME Wagner signed his he was at 7% of the cap

AT THE TIME Mosley signed his. he is 9% of the cap.

He got paid more.

% of CAP is strange.

People say Julio’s current 2019 salary is not fair.  It’s 7.1% of our CAP.  OBJ is set to make 17 million and it’s just 6.7% of the CAP.  Julio’s % of CAP is higher than OBJ, Hopkins, AJ etc