g-dawg

Under 24 hours to sign Grady - Is it gonna happen?

279 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

% of CAP is strange.

People say Julio’s current 2019 salary is not fair.  It’s 7.1% of our CAP.  OBJ is set to make 17 million and it’s just 6.7% of the CAP.  Julio’s % of CAP is higher than OBJ, Hopkins, AJ etc

you cannot go by % of the cap for any given one year because once the signing bonuses are paid out, the percentage goes waaaaay down.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

% of CAP is strange.

People say Julio’s current 2019 salary is not fair.  It’s 7.1% of our CAP.  OBJ is set to make 17 million and it’s just 6.7% of the CAP.  Julio’s % of CAP is higher than OBJ, Hopkins, AJ etc

What cap number are you using? This year's cap is 188m. So at 17m OBJ is 9.2%ish

And Julio is around 7mil.

Just now, g-dawg said:

you cannot go by % of the cap for any given year because once the signing bonuses are paid out, the percentage goes waaaaay down.

I'm doing % with the cap hit. So it doesn't go "waaaaay down".

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

I'm doing % with the cap hit. So it doesn't go "waaaaay down".

I was talking about the way 2012 was analyzing it - and I see media types do so as well.  Front loaded deals and back end when the guarantee money comes off all effect the "one year analysis" stuff on percentage of cap.

Yo_Lover likes this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

I was talking about the way 2012 was analyzing it - and I see media types do so as well.  Front loaded deals and back end when the guarantee money comes off all effect the "one year analysis" stuff on percentage of cap.

I got you. I like to go by cap hit but that's only part of the equation. 

g-dawg likes this

At this point, I predict a deal gets done.   Who knows but you always knew if a deal did get done, it was going to be working off the day of deadline.

Frankly, I like it - always thought the Falcons were always a little too friendly w/ their players on getting deals done - if you aren't negotiating hard, you are generally getting screwed.

Yo_Lover likes this

1 minute ago, ButSkiuup said:

150 minutes before TD let’s us down :tiphat:

I say we re-name ButSkiuup  "Eyore"

Image result for eeyore quotes

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

if that is the ground the Falcons are fighting on, then I like it.     Fletcher Cox averages $17mm - and while I deem him a better player than Grady, his contract is 3 years old already.

Give Grady $17mm/yr average and call it a day.    Wonder if TD and Co. put themselves in a pickle committing to all those mediocre offensive linemen in free agency (Sambrailo, Brown and Carpenter).    To not plan for or be willing to give Grady $17-18mm/season, I would start taking his side of the argument at that point.

May be 17 mil has been on the table for awhile and Grady & Co are hoping the Falcons will blink at the deadline and add another million a year onto it.

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

May be 17 mil has been on the table for awhile and Grady & Co are hoping the Falcons will blink at the deadline and add another million a year onto it.

of course.   I have no problems with contract negotiations going down to the deadline.   Nobody is really motivated until you hit the deadline anyway.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I say we re-name ButSkiuup  "Eyore"

Image result for eeyore quotes

I just know he better get it done because that’s the only good part of our DLine 

6 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Grady Jarrett is the most overrated player on the entire roster.  He's a good DT but in no universe is he worth $22M per year right now.  He's not quite the game wrecking force that most people seem to think he is.  He's just our team's best player on the DL.  But that doesn't mean there aren't other guys we can get for a lot less who would be almost as good.

You took a giant leap with this take.  Is he worth $22M, not in my book, but jumping to "he's the most overrated player on the entire roster", is an interesting take to say the least...

DogIsYourName likes this

2 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

I just know he better get it done because that’s the only good part of our DLine 

whether he gets it done or not, Grady is still on the team for at least 2019 with at least another year under control if we re-franchised him.  Don't be an Eyore.

2 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

Grady is going to play for the falcons next year, whatever happens today.

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

if NFL owners are smart, they will never give up the franchise tag.   While NFL is different because the rosters are so much bigger and there is a hard salary cap,  you never want the players to run the show the way it is done in the NBA.    NFL teams spend too much on college scouting to just forfeit players after 3-5 years of production.

I get disgusted when people say Silver is the best commissioner in sports. Dude is an absolute weenie. From the **** show that is draft day trades and rookies unable to wear the trading teams' hats, to outlawing owners being called owners to dude saying he eventually wants the league to be 50/50 men/women in coaching and refs instead of letting the best person get the job, he is a commissioner for social media's approval and not the approval of what gets results. 

Imagine thinking a sport where a DRAFT blows out numbers of another league's playoff games isn't superior.

g-dawg, tactician, Vandy and 1 other like this

Just now, g-dawg said:

whether he gets it done or not, Grady is still on the team for at least 2019 with at least another year under control if we re-franchised him.  Don't be an Eyore.

Bet they said the same thing about Leveon Bell last season :tiphat:

1 minute ago, ButSkiuup said:

LeVeon Bell cut his own throat - he will never get back the money he lost sitting out last year.

Vandy likes this

10 minutes ago, ButSkiuup said:

You are easily the most negative fan ive came across on here 

9 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

LeVeon Bell cut his own throat - he will never get back the money he lost sitting out last year.

I don't think Bell is sweating it.  He got paid.  And he got out.

ButSkiuup likes this

16 minutes ago, stizz said:

I get disgusted when people say Silver is the best commissioner in sports. Dude is an absolute weenie. From the **** show that is draft day trades and rookies unable to wear the trading teams' hats, to outlawing owners being called owners to dude saying he eventually wants the league to be 50/50 men/women in coaching and refs instead of letting the best person get the job, he is a commissioner for social media's approval and not the approval of what gets results. 

Imagine thinking a sport where a DRAFT blows out numbers of another league's playoff games isn't superior.

Yeah, I hate how the NBA is setup - they cater to the top players and to the big market and historic franchises.    Also, while I don't love tanking, I adamantly disagree with how I the NBA weakened the lottery and re-allocated the odds of moving up.   It was a joke that teams like the Lakers and Pelicans that were mediocre teams had Top 4 selections.   I am fine for weakening the incentive to tank a little bit - maybe give the bottom 5-6 teams the exact same odds - but don't extend it all the way out to 14.

Also, basically having teams like Clippers being in cahoots with  a superstar like Leonard to bring Paul George and force a trade - or Lakers/LeBron and AD - I just think it is a horrible look for the NBA.

It's kind of like a handful of teams are the Harlem Globetrotters and the other 22+ teams in the NBA are the Washington Generals.

Vandy likes this

2 minutes ago, athell said:

I don't think Bell is sweating it.  He got paid.  And he got out.

he could have gotten paid the two previous years and not missed paychecks.  He didn't get more money by holding out.   Even worse for RBs is they lose their marketability so quick as they start fading after 30yrs old.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

he could have gotten paid the two previous years and not missed paychecks.  He didn't get more money by holding out.   Even worse for RBs is they lose their marketability so quick as they start fading after 30yrs old.

Do you think he actually cares?