g-dawg

Under 24 hours to sign Grady - Is it gonna happen?

279 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

You pay him market value.  Not a penny more.  Clearly the two sides disagree on what his market value is

Apparently not near as far apart as media and TAFT speculated.

Ergo Proxy and Geneaut like this

40 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You must have been drinking when you posted this one, Timmy. 

No. I figured he wouldn't get 15M on the Tag.Too much.

He was going to be traded or signed to a cap-frendly deal. They got it.

But of course I was imbibing.

Not right. Reeks of desperation. And, yes, this D is desperate.

Still puzzled that he is paid as the third DT in the NFL.

If this FO continues on this master plan.....Well, there are the Jones's and Neal and Hoop....Campbell?.

If they can pull this off I will allow myself another ...........

9 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

No. I figured he wouldn't get 15M on the Tag.Too much.

He was going to be traded or signed to a cap-frendly deal. They got it.

But of course I was imbibing.

Not right. Reeks of desperation. And, yes, this D is desperate.

Still puzzled that he is paid as the third DT in the NFL.

If this FO continues on this master plan.....Well, there are the Jones's and Neal and Hoop....Campbell?.

If they can pull this off I will allow myself another ...........

Just messin’ Bro.....

Disagree it’s anywhere close to desperation. Sound management in my book.

Not puzzling because if his progression continues, he will be a Top 3 DT over life of his contract. And overall underpaid as market/salaries will continue to escalate.

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Just messin’ Bro.....

Disagree it’s anywhere close to desperation. Sound management in my book.

Not puzzling because if his progression continues, he will be a Top 3 DT over life of his contract. And underpaid as salaries continue to escalate.

You think he is that good then.

Perhaps I am in a bad space. I  don't see the Deal as good for the Franchise.

But he is the only disrupter on the D, so I can give it a rest.

Vandy likes this

8 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

You think he is that good then.

Perhaps I am in a bad space. I  don't see the Deal as good for the Franchise.

But he is the only disrupter on the D, so I can give it a rest.

We locked up a Top 5-6 NFL DT just now entering his prime. Anything < $17.5 per is a steal IMO. 

Tim Mazetti and Ergo Proxy like this

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We just locked up a Top 5-6 NFL DT just now entering his prime. Anything < $17.5 per is a steal IMO. 

Exactly.

Plus, his cap hit is below that by a bit for next couple years.

Cap hits $18+ in year 3 of the deal.

if his play was bad by then entering year 4, there is a way to cut him and only have $5M dead money that year...or if we wanted to extend him a few more years before 2022 cap hit comes due it could lower that figure as well, etc.

flexible and manageable structure. Great job by the FO!

Vandy likes this

8 hours ago, stizz said:

I get disgusted when people say Silver is the best commissioner in sports. Dude is an absolute weenie. From the **** show that is draft day trades and rookies unable to wear the trading teams' hats, to outlawing owners being called owners to dude saying he eventually wants the league to be 50/50 men/women in coaching and refs instead of letting the best person get the job, he is a commissioner for social media's approval and not the approval of what gets results. 

Imagine thinking a sport where a DRAFT blows out numbers of another league's playoff games isn't superior.

He is trying way too hard to prove he's a SJW, it makes me want to barf.

GeorgiaBoyz and Iron Saint like this

On 7/14/2019 at 7:21 PM, Roanoke Falcon said:

I doubt it. Aside from the question of financial feasibility, I think it's possible that the front office might not want to lock themselves into a very expensive long-term deal for a fairly scheme-specific undersized DT that may not fit the scheme of a possible new coaching staff. They may want to see if DQ can pull us out of the slow downward spiral we are in before locking in pieces that might not fit every scheme.

I am very happy to have been wrong. Now let's hope the rest of my Debbie-Downer predictions are equally wrong!

Vandy likes this

21 hours ago, papachaz said:

not a single one of those dogs can hold a pencil well enough to fill in those circles on the test though, so how could anyone possibly know that

:ninja::ninja:

Neither can OJ Simpson.

Iron Saint and papachaz like this

7 minutes ago, Roanoke Falcon said:

I am very happy to have been wrong. Now let's hope the rest of my Debbie-Downer predictions are equally wrong!

You aren’t alone. A whole lotta wrong speculation went on in this funny thread. 

On 7/14/2019 at 6:38 PM, droopy1592 said:

Grady wants 22 million next year which is way more than we are willing to pay. He’s hitting his stride and already let it be known he wants to hit the open market. He’s going to play his heart out this year. We can’t afford to pay what he wants. We double dip at DT in the draft as Grady walks. 

And this, spoken like someone who just KNEW he was correct, is why you take what’s said on TAFT with a grain of salt. 22 mil huh? 

10 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

You know whose agent really has us by the balls: Debo.  We allow 19 ppg with him on the field and 26 ppg when he is out.  Our TD% goes from 3.6% to 7.0% when he is out

Great player but **** does he have y’all by the balls. Jeez. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11478200

8 hours ago, athell said:

I don't think Bell is sweating it.  He got paid.  And he got out.

I don’t know if I’d call going to the Jets “getting out”. :lol:

On 7/14/2019 at 8:21 PM, Roanoke Falcon said:

I doubt it. Aside from the question of financial feasibility, I think it's possible that the front office might not want to lock themselves into a very expensive long-term deal for a fairly scheme-specific undersized DT that may not fit the scheme of a possible new coaching staff. They may want to see if DQ can pull us out of the slow downward spiral we are in before locking in pieces that might not fit every scheme.

Scheme specific undersized DT... wtf LMFAO 

On 7/14/2019 at 9:16 PM, Bunchy Carter said:

Is any of this true? I've not seen any credible source that says Grady's team asked for 22m OR that he's made it clear he wants to hit the open market. 

Soooo, no. Ok got it.

12 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I know it makes no sense and no one with a Brain in their head wants to watch him leave.  He will probably play under the tag next year, but we cannot function as a team with max type of contracts given to Ryan, Julio, Grady, Free, True, Tebo.  Something has to give.  So tell me, who do we let go?  Unless we want to have several other position players that suck.

How much do you wanna bet.Not only will the team operate it will be able to sustain who we choose to sign on these deals.Its just a jigsaw puzzle with a bunch pieces that you make fit.Just because a fan/s can’t see it or have the information only confirms this for me.

You watch the FO lock Jones x 2 next and several others they so choose fit.The idea this isn’t sustainable is what makes me laugh.

When are fans going to realise the extensions aren’t the issue future drafting is so when decisions have to be made they become easy because of the good drafting while keeping our window wide open.

33 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

How much do you wanna bet.Not only will the team operate it will be able to sustain who we choose to sign on these deals.Its just a jigsaw puzzle with a bunch pieces that you make fit.Just because a fan/s can’t see it or have the information only confirms this for me.

You watch the FO lock Jones x 2 next and several others they so choose fit.The idea this isn’t sustainable is what makes me laugh.

When are fans going to realise the extensions aren’t the issue future drafting is so when decisions have to be made they become easy because of the good drafting while keeping our window wide open.

They will certainly lock down both Jones’s next.  There may be enough left for Bailey on a 1 year deal.  But we are now over the 2020 CAP so significant salary dumping will take place next offseason.  And that’s the nature of the beast.  

But when you draft well, certain drafted players have to be let go.  I’ll be curious to see who it is and how the Julio & Debo contracts are structured for 2020

6 hours ago, jetpac said:

And this, spoken like someone who just KNEW he was correct, is why you take what’s said on TAFT with a grain of salt. 22 mil huh? 

Who doesn’t want 22 million?

9 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Okay, let me put this in terms that are easy to understand.  Since the collective bargaining era started in the NFL, no team has won the Super Bowl with any player, except QB, who has the top value contract (total value) at any skill position (RB, WR) on offense.  Not a single one.  There have only been a few with top dollar contracts on defense that have a SB win.  You can extrapolate that out to top three and top five contracts as well and I think there is only one or two teams in 20 years that have won a Super Bowl with a skill player outside of QB with a top dollar contract within the top three for their position.  What this tells you is that the skill players value on footballs teams are greatly overvalued and that by paying guys these max contracts you are pretty much guaranteeing you will not win.  This is strongly supported by the empirical evidence call the New England Patriots who have the most contracts of 1 Million dollars or more (I believe they have 32) on the active roster and demonstrates that they do not over pay for a single position and use rookie contracts and effective middle of the road players.  The only exception for NE is QB and CB.  Pay Julio all the money in the world and good for him for getting it, but by doing so and diminishing our ability to sign quality players AND BACKUPS, we are setting ourselves up to maybe get to the playoffs then lose.  We are about to pay a guy 20+ million dollars that touches the ball less than 10 times a game on average.  Julio is the best WR in football, hands down, but we are falling into the same pattern of behavior that most teams who sign "superstars" and then proceed to fall apart.  Fans can argue all they want about the CAP and the front office being original and trusting the management, but the simple, clear, undisputable truth is that if we sign Julio to this contract, after signing Ryan and Grady and Free and Trufant we will have too many holes covered by subpar players.  This was extremely obvious last year when our offensive line couldn't block a pack of girl scouts.  This year, my question is going to be can we get an edge rush with the mediocre to subpar DE's we have on the team, who is going to take Riley's position, do we have a FS because Rico's injury isn't one you bounce back from 100% the next year and what does our depth look like when we have two defensive starters down at the same time, which happens to most teams for at least a few games, every year.  Julio is going to get his 20+ million.  I don't care.  What are we doing to win.

14 hours ago, tactician said:

He is trying way too hard to prove he's a SJW, it makes me want to barf.

Saying SJW in 2019 shows you have issues

9 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

They will certainly lock down both Jones’s next.  There may be enough left for Bailey on a 1 year deal.  But we are now over the 2020 CAP so significant salary dumping will take place next offseason.  And that’s the nature of the beast.  

But when you draft well, certain drafted players have to be let go.  I’ll be curious to see who it is and how the Julio & Debo contracts are structured for 2020

over the 2020 cap? OTC shows the falcons at 21 mil cap space in 2020, Grady's cap hit is 15 mil. Why are they over?

10 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Who doesn’t want 22 million?

Apparently Grady....TD likely offered it to him and he was like...."nah, I'm good but 17.5 sounds solid."

Yo_Lover likes this

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Apparently Grady....TD likely offered it to him and he was like...."nah, I'm good but 17.5 sounds solid."

LoL sounds about right 

JD dirtybird21 likes this

3 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Okay, let me put this in terms that are easy to understand.  Since the collective bargaining era started in the NFL, no team has won the Super Bowl with any player, except QB, who has the top value contract (total value) at any skill position (RB, WR) on offense.  Not a single one.  There have only been a few with top dollar contracts on defense that have a SB win.  You can extrapolate that out to top three and top five contracts as well and I think there is only one or two teams in 20 years that have won a Super Bowl with a skill player outside of QB with a top dollar contract within the top three for their position.  What this tells you is that the skill players value on footballs teams are greatly overvalued and that by paying guys these max contracts you are pretty much guaranteeing you will not win.  This is strongly supported by the empirical evidence call the New England Patriots who have the most contracts of 1 Million dollars or more (I believe they have 32) on the active roster and demonstrates that they do not over pay for a single position and use rookie contracts and effective middle of the road players.  The only exception for NE is QB and CB.  Pay Julio all the money in the world and good for him for getting it, but by doing so and diminishing our ability to sign quality players AND BACKUPS, we are setting ourselves up to maybe get to the playoffs then lose.  We are about to pay a guy 20+ million dollars that touches the ball less than 10 times a game on average.  Julio is the best WR in football, hands down, but we are falling into the same pattern of behavior that most teams who sign "superstars" and then proceed to fall apart.  Fans can argue all they want about the CAP and the front office being original and trusting the management, but the simple, clear, undisputable truth is that if we sign Julio to this contract, after signing Ryan and Grady and Free and Trufant we will have too many holes covered by subpar players.  This was extremely obvious last year when our offensive line couldn't block a pack of girl scouts.  This year, my question is going to be can we get an edge rush with the mediocre to subpar DE's we have on the team, who is going to take Riley's position, do we have a FS because Rico's injury isn't one you bounce back from 100% the next year and what does our depth look like when we have two defensive starters down at the same time, which happens to most teams for at least a few games, every year.  Julio is going to get his 20+ million.  I don't care.  What are we doing to win.

Missed the whole point.

It doesn’t matter who they resign it really doesn’t what is more important in depth terms and reloading with talent is the draft.Its always been about building through the draft and signing your key pieces that’s all we have done.

The idea we won’t win because of it is an assumption because we haven’t done so yet and not many others supposedly haven’t is also myth  in my eyes.**** we all know we should have had one in 2016 doing what we are doing drafting developing and signing our own.

PS forget talking about what NE do it’s a pointless discussion you think if the FALCONS   Rinse wash repeat what they do they’d win it.I think we need to take some of what they do and adapt it to our situation.

Subpar DEs hmmm well that’s questionable also.Why is it our defensive HC has moved full time to that side of the ball you think.

Theres questions to ask about every football team every year if I’m honest it has more to do with coaching than it does player talent in my eyes this teams loaded with talent.