g-dawg

Under 24 hours to sign Grady - Is it gonna happen?

279 posts in this topic

Just now, athell said:

Tru got hurt.

He is still a very good corner, he just hasn't recovered from that injury in '16.  

Thanks for stating common knowledge 

Don't you think the 4 yr extension will be tacked onto the end of the franchise tag - meaning we would have him under control for 5 more years?   or does the 4yr extension void the franchise tag?

I guess it voids it as we wouldn't get salary cap relief otherwise, right?

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Don't you think the 4 yr extension will be tacked onto the end of the franchise tag - meaning we would have him under control for 5 more years?   or does the 4yr extension void the franchise tag?

It should void the tag. Lower his cap hit from 15 mill to maybe 10-11 for this year so we can pay others

My guess on the numbers?

4yrs, $75mm - $56mm guaranteed (basically guaranteeing 3 years of the deal).

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

They avoided the tag with the extension so he is now an UFA in 2023.

Ergo Proxy, PokerSteve and g-dawg like this

9 minutes ago, athell said:

They avoided the tag with the extension so he is now an UFA in 2023.

I love the deal from the standpoint it only makes us obligated - at worst for his age years of 26, 27, 28 and 29 yrs old.   We avoid the possible decline years thereafter.   It also clears the deck for franchise tag in 2020 should we need it for Debo.

Just now, g-dawg said:

I love the deal from the standpoint it only makes us obligated - at worst for his age years of 28, 29, 30 and 31 yrs old.   We avoid the possible decline years thereafter.   It also clears the deck for franchise tag in 2020 should we need it for Debo.

Amen!  Love it too.

g-dawg likes this

I think we overpaid, but at least it’s over and we can focus on football

Schefter says 4yrs, $68mm and $17mm/yr.

That is a good deal for Falcons - basically the same amount per year as Fletcher Cox who signed three years ago on a "per year" average.  Grady' isn't as good as Fletcher Cox but the guaranteed money will be less and it is for less years.    

Grady gets another bite at the apple when he is 30yrs old and Falcons lock up their best defensive linemen for his prime years.

Win/Win

This puts to bed all those saying Grady's representation was going for Aaron Donald money.   Last time I checked  - huge difference between $22.5mm/yr and $17mm/yr.

Grady making 76% of what Donald is per year.    While he isn't producing at 76% of Donald value, he is producing overall and should be a top paid player in the DT hemisphere.   This contract should get better w/ age as long as Grady stays healthy.

12 minutes ago, athell said:

Tru got hurt.

He is still a very good corner, he just hasn't recovered from that injury in '16.  

Tru is getting a PB this year

athell likes this

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

Tru is getting a PB this year

He is due...I'm expecting a bounce back year as well.  If nothing else due to this place hating on players seems to always blow up in their face.

Vandy and FalconsIn2020 like this

12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I think they want the CAP relief now to extend Julio

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

He gets that we win the whole thing.

Try was very good last year once they stopped puttting him in the slot

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

I love the deal from the standpoint it only makes us obligated - at worst for his age years of 28, 29, 30 and 31 yrs old.   We avoid the possible decline years thereafter.   It also clears the deck for franchise tag in 2020 should we need it for Debo.

I keep seeing Grady's age quoted as 26? Which is even better- through age 30. That's good for the Falcons, also good for Grady, gives him a shot at another big deal.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Posted (edited)

Glad TD got the deal done. He’s a contract wizard if nothing else 

Edited by Nino11

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I love the deal from the standpoint it only makes us obligated - at worst for his age years of 26, 27, 28 and 29 yrs old.   We avoid the possible decline years thereafter.   It also clears the deck for franchise tag in 2020 should we need it for Debo.

Falcons for Life, or Falcons Until You Are 30?

I suspect the latter will prove true

Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

Falcons for Life, or Falcons Until You Are 30?

I suspect the latter will prove true

depends - Julio is still best in game at 30.    

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

depends - Julio is still best in game at 30.    

Julio & Ryan are the only lifers...

Actually, if Julio signs a 5 year extension, we could trade him for assets after year 3 or 4 depending on the State of the Franchise.  Not saying we should, but if he is still productive a team like Jacksonville in a lower market may pay for the name

23 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Even 15M this year is over the top when the team has four other defensive stars to extend.

EDIT: Er, maybe three and JJ.

I want a last minute trade for a third round pick at this point.....Tomorrow prior to 1630.

You must have been drinking when you posted this one, Timmy.