VTCrunkler

Will Foye replace Duke?

69 posts in this topic

My vote is yes.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/7/11/20687385/falcons-training-camp-battles-will-foye-oluokon-permanently-replace-duke-riley-as-a-starter-yes-duh?fbclid=IwAR3b_xwiJVkDuBHr6V5ofsaj-QUQA3vMdsUyuV67Er3nnHP3uWIbCX9FXWk

The Challengers

Duke Riley, 24 entering his 3rd season with Atlanta

Riley has become a bit of a punching bag for Falcons fans. The 3rd round pick out of LSU in 2017 was expected to have an immediate impact for the team by many fans, despite the fact that he was clearly a developmental prospect when he was drafted. Certainly, the immediate impact of Deion Jones didn’t help matters. That said, it’s easy to forget why we were all excited about Rileywhen he was drafted. His athleticism is top-notch, with a combine 40 yard dash of 4.58 and a vertical jump of nearly 35 inches. On tape, he looked like a player who could explode to the ball in a fashion very reminiscent of Debo.

Yet, that potential has not been realized with the Falcons. For whatever reason, Duke has looked timid and/or lost on the field at times, missing many tackles along the way. He has flashed moments of that potential, which has only made the letdown even more significant.

That said, he is still just 24 years old and on a relatively cheap rookie contract. He still has the potential, even if he’s shown little to no progress the past two years. All it takes is for the light bulb to come on and Duke can be a quality starter in this league. The physical ability is there and there’s little doubt the team wants him to live up to it.

Foye Oluokon, 23 entering his 2nd season with Atlanta

The 2018 sixth round pick out of Yale was yet another late-round “find” by the Falcons. Oluokon has said he wasn’t even sure he’d be drafted and now he’s in the conversation to be a permanent starter in 2019. While Foye is somewhat undersized for the position, he more than makes up for it in athleticism. At his pro day, he posted an impressive 4.56 40 time and an impressive 37 inch vertical. His 20-yard shuttle time of 4.12 seconds would have been second for all linebackers at the NFL combine.

In his first year with the Falcons, Foye ended up third in tackle rate (per Next Gen Stats) behind only Leighton Vander Esch (2018 rookie Pro Bowler) and Darius Leonard (2018 defensive rookie of the year, 2018 first team All-Pro, NFL tackles leader). That is some impressive company to keep, especially for a sixth rounder out of a school known far more for its academics than its athletes.

If there’s one thing Dan Quinn truly believes in, it’s putting the best guys on the field. In 2018, Foye saw increased snaps as the season progressed, a clear sign the coaching staff liked what they saw out of the rookie.

And the winner is...

While I’m still holding out hope for Duke, this battle likely goes to Foye for now. I do believe the Falcons will give Riley every opportunity in camp to steal this spot back, but Oluokon was very impressive in his first year. More importantly, while Foye showed continual improvement during the 2018 season, Riley seemed to stagnate or even regress. That directional difference in their play is why I expect to see Oluokon as a starter when the first regular season game comes around

Duke does have potential....I hope the light bulb starts flashing early on this year. Foye is going to play

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Duke makes the team “again” . Why ? Dan “28-3” “All about competition .. but I love Duke for whatever reason . ” Quinn . 

Duke shouldnt have made it out of pre season last year . I’m just glad Grace ended up back here .

Deion, Campbell, Foye, Grace . 1 great , 1 good & 2 potential studs that could become good or great . Duke is just in the way . 

Rhetorical question?

PFF: Falcons rookie Foye Oluokun grading among top 5 LBs since Week 7

LB Foyesade Oluokun followed his career high 79.5 grade on Monday Night with a 73.0 grade vs. Washington. In 88 snaps in the last two games, he has 10 tackles (7 for stops), 2 QB hits, and has only allowed 45 yards in coverage. Since week 7, only 4 linebackers have graded higher than Oluokun.

Foye.  

His adaptability to the pro game in such a short time is highly impressive.

He’s physically & mentally light years ahead of Riley whose had advantages including college program and time spent in our system.

Foye was thrown to the wolves as a rook due to injuries and yet he excelled. I can only imagine how much better he can become as he gets more familiar with our system.  

Good luck Duke.  Although I was excited about you at first, I have been less than impressed with your ability to read & react in our system.

Foye might just be a late round diamond.

3 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Duke makes the team “again” . Why ? Dan “28-3” “All about competition .. but I love Duke for whatever reason . ” Quinn . 

Duke shouldnt have made it out of pre season last year . I’m just glad Grace ended up back here .

Deion, Campbell, Foye, Grace . 1 great , 1 good & 2 potential studs that could become good or great . Duke is just in the way . 

Why would you cut Duke after his second.preseason? 3rd rounders just dont bust out in their first or.often 2nd .seasons. It really doesnt even make.sense to cut him now. If we.cut him who are we bringing in that would be an upgrad for the peanuts hes playing for?

give him another year and hope he develops into a decent depth piece, that can play some.ST for you. Campbell is likely going to be kept since he just isnt going to fetch much on the open market, and Foye is going to be a guy that will play at near probowl level. Duke doesnt need to be much more than average, which ill admit he still has a way to go to get there. Just doesn t.make.sense to cut bait unless we really needed the roster spot to carry an extra DLmen or.something

3 hours ago, The O.D.B said:

The job of 3rd LB is Foye's. Duke is competing for the 4th spot with Grace, as both will make the roster. I expect the competition for the 4th spot to go about 6 games. Neither will see huge action but, the 5th guys will mostly be ST.

I actually think that 4th spot is Bruce Carters. Tye only thing Duke has going for him is his versatility to kick inside and his football I.Q. I gotta think if debo wasnt available again, that at this point Foye would kick inside and put Riley at Will. Thinking Riley is battling with Ishmael at this point. 

The O.D.B and Ergo Proxy like this

7 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Why would you cut Duke after his second.preseason? 3rd rounders just dont bust out in their first or.often 2nd .seasons. It really doesnt even make.sense to cut him now. If we.cut him who are we bringing in that would be an upgrad for the peanuts hes playing for?

give him another year and hope he develops into a decent depth piece, that can play some.ST for you. Campbell is likely going to be kept since he just isnt going to fetch much on the open market, and Foye is going to be a guy that will play at near probowl level. Duke doesnt need to be much more than average, which ill admit he still has a way to go to get there. Just doesn t.make.sense to cut bait unless we really needed the roster spot to carry an extra DLmen or.something

You be patient when you don’t have options .. we risked losing Grace to gamble on Duke . You don’t have much patience when you preach competition & the best man will play . It’s a contradiction . 

Jerz #Quinning and Vandy like this

Ill say it again. Duke is bad as a starter. Not as an overall football player. He is fine as backup/ST. Nothing wrong with backups 

2 minutes ago, GrimeyKidd said:

Ill say it again. Duke is bad as a starter. Not as an overall football player. He is fine as backup/ST. Nothing wrong with backups 

So taking bad angles, missing tackles, not wanting to tackle, not being able to cover makes you fine back up/ST material ? Fine back up/st isn’t garbage . 

You're all wrong here .

If the light comes on for Duke-and I can give you a looooooooooooong list of players that really stepped it up in their 3rd year,Roddy White comes to mind- then great, be really happy for him and the team, because having Debo and Debo lite together would be really fun.

If not, oh well, Falcons have drafted really well since DQ got here, but nobody bats a 1000, #$%^, nobody bats 500.

8 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Because he still had the "deer in the headlights" late into last season.  The first few minutes of the first game happens to players.  But, then they settle in and play their game.  Duke was caught flat footed late in the season looking at something and trying to understand his responsibility.  He has extremely poor read abilities.  Smash and crash on ST may be his thing, but then, he will never provide depth on D.  That is a huge limitation IMHO.

Jerz #Quinning and GeorgiaBoyz like this

9 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

If Duke makes.the probowl this year then that means our  defense was top 3.

If Duke makes the pro bowl this year then that means anything conceivable is possible, so I'll be jumping my motorcycle over the Snake River Canyon to celebrate. :lol:

11 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

If Duke makes.the probowl this year then that means our  defense was top 3.

If Duke makes the pro-bowl this year, that means a LOT of LBs in the NFL got hurt this year!!!