Monolith2001

Compensating NFL Players (sorta Julio related)

16 posts in this topic

Got into a short conversation during a little downtime on a client meeting.   I am sure there are rules that prevent teams/owners from compensating players outside of structure but I think we all know Brady has such a deal.   What is it that keeps owners and players from doing secret deals for post-NFL activities that potentially are more valuable and solid than the NFL contracts these guys play for?  I look at a guy like Julio who is getting close to the end of his career...why couldn't Arthur Blank take care of Julio by using his connections and influence to really set up Julio for the long haul.   I guess the Q is how does NFL enforce this?  I'm pretty sure there are rules against secret accounts and such but what about non-play business deals (athletic gear, energy drinks, merch) which players take on all the time?  Asking if TAFT knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I want to know is did you have this side convo WITH the client.  

It would be nice to have a secret account to funnel to players to keep them happy all the while avoid cap h@@l

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure it’s common . Possibly without the player even knowing . So long as the player is happy & signs the dotted line .. the agent, agents or whomever else could eat on the extras .. without said player even knowing or caring . If I get 20mil on the front end & I’m happy .. I could careless about the back end 5-10mil I don’t know or care about because at the end of the day I’m happy with 20. New millionaires don’t care about this kind of stuff .. billionaires & other shiesty fuvkers that can’t get it without scheming do . Lol . 

Money corrupts everything & I’m not naive . 

 

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would the owner keep his word once player X is retired?  

I think people overthink these things.  If it was found out the owner would lose his franchise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FalconsIn2020 said:

Why would the owner keep his word once player X is retired?  

I think people overthink these things.  If it was found out the owner would lose his franchise.  

Naaa they wouldn’t . Everybody who owns a franchise is rich & in the business of entertaining me & you . They aren’t going to hold each other accountable for doing what “they” do because it’s a business . A business “they’re” all apart of . 

papachaz, FalconsIn2020 and Chaz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Naaa they wouldn’t . Everybody who owns a franchise is rich & in the business of entertaining me & you . They aren’t going to hold each other accountable for doing what “they” do because it’s a business . A business “they’re” all apart of . 

You’re right...but I have to think there are unwritten understandings between the owners. This would be one.  If not, then it is understood that all owners are allowed to do it.

But maybe I’m being naive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VTCrunkler said:

What I want to know is did you have this side convo WITH the client.  

It would be nice to have a secret account to funnel to players to keep them happy all the while avoid cap h@@l

Actually I did.  One of the engineers for my client and I have kinda bonded (both stuck doing the dirty technical work) and we just happen to be pretty serious football fans (screen sharing reveals his Browns desktop wallpaper to go along with mine of MB Stadium).  We got to talking about Julio not holding out and he pitched the idea of an under the table deals and we eventually got around to owners helping them outside of their capacity as a player...like buy into a business (or start their own with backing).

Chaz and GeorgiaBoyz like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Actually I did.  One of the engineers for my client and I have kinda bonded (both stuck doing the dirty technical work) and we just happen to be pretty serious football fans (screen sharing reveals his Browns desktop wallpaper to go along with mine of MB Stadium).  We got to talking about Julio not holding out and he pitched the idea of an under the table deals and we eventually got around to owners helping them outside of their capacity as a player...like buy into a business (or start their own with backing).

 Nice. It would be cool for ex players to be set up with jobs/businesses post career.  Suprised that y’all didn’t talk the actual Julio trade. Talk about misery loves company- I watched last years draft with a browns fan at a bar. He was absolutely hyped for Mayfield.  I thought otherwise but he was stolid in his support. 

Monolith2001 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Got into a short conversation during a little downtime on a client meeting.   I am sure there are rules that prevent teams/owners from compensating players outside of structure but I think we all know Brady has such a deal.   What is it that keeps owners and players from doing secret deals for post-NFL activities that potentially are more valuable and solid than the NFL contracts these guys play for?  I look at a guy like Julio who is getting close to the end of his career...why couldn't Arthur Blank take care of Julio by using his connections and influence to really set up Julio for the long haul.   I guess the Q is how does NFL enforce this?  I'm pretty sure there are rules against secret accounts and such but what about non-play business deals (athletic gear, energy drinks, merch) which players take on all the time?  Asking if TAFT knows.

Julio is a silent partner in the label QC. He’s setting himself up well for after football. He has other businesses as well. He will Be fine after football. He still deserves what he’s accomplished on the field as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is collectively bargained between the Owners and Players as part of their agreement.  It is clearly outlined about compensation that is outside of the contractual agreements between teams and players.  The owners are fully aware of the pitfalls of siphoning money to players outside of the contract, and would put a serious question on the business ethics to go around the said agreement.  

Without a doubt there are certain organizations that bring a better chance for sponsorship dollars to a player, and the agents are fully aware of that, but it has no relationship with the owners and then offering $$ outside of the agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blutarski said:

This is collectively bargained between the Owners and Players as part of their agreement.  It is clearly outlined about compensation that is outside of the contractual agreements between teams and players.  The owners are fully aware of the pitfalls of siphoning money to players outside of the contract, and would put a serious question on the business ethics to go around the said agreement.  

Without a doubt there are certain organizations that bring a better chance for sponsorship dollars to a player, and the agents are fully aware of that, but it has no relationship with the owners and then offering $$ outside of the agreement.

Yea but TB12 blows all that outta the water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

Got into a short conversation during a little downtime on a client meeting.   I am sure there are rules that prevent teams/owners from compensating players outside of structure but I think we all know Brady has such a deal.   What is it that keeps owners and players from doing secret deals for post-NFL activities that potentially are more valuable and solid than the NFL contracts these guys play for?  I look at a guy like Julio who is getting close to the end of his career...why couldn't Arthur Blank take care of Julio by using his connections and influence to really set up Julio for the long haul.   I guess the Q is how does NFL enforce this?  I'm pretty sure there are rules against secret accounts and such but what about non-play business deals (athletic gear, energy drinks, merch) which players take on all the time?  Asking if TAFT knows.

These deals probably exist, but it is a marketing tool and status symbol to get paid what you are worth. If the same player makes $10m vs $20m, and is paid as the 20th best WR, would someone like Nike want to sponsor them even though they were a top five talent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

These deals probably exist, but it is a marketing tool and status symbol to get paid what you are worth. If the same player makes $10m vs $20m, and is paid as the 20th best WR, would someone like Nike want to sponsor them even though they were a top five talent?

LOL.  I really don't think Nike would necessarily care.  Players aren't diminished by their contracts in terms of that kind of stuff.  Personality and performance are what grab eyeballs.   No one is in awe of a big contract on Sundays or running to buy overpriced shoes because player x had a better agent or cap situation. 

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

LOL.  I really don't think Nike would necessarily care.  Players aren't diminished by their contracts in terms of that kind of stuff.  Personality and performance are what grab eyeballs.   No one is in awe of a big contract on Sundays or running to buy overpriced shoes because player x had a better agent or cap situation. 

It is all part of persona.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 0:30 PM, TheFatboi said:

Julio is a silent partner in the label QC. He’s setting himself up well for after football. He has other businesses as well. He will Be fine after football. He still deserves what he’s accomplished on the field as well. 

Love me some Coach K & Pee . Julio being a silent partner makes sense considering I’ve never heard of this but you’re tied into that world .. That’s dope . At the rate QC is going he’ll never ever go broke . QC is on the path of Cash Money, No Limit, Etc . They got a great program . 

TheFatboi likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Love me some Coach K & Pee . Julio being a silent partner makes sense considering I’ve never heard of this but you’re tied into that world .. That’s dope . At the rate QC is going he’ll never ever go broke . QC is on the path of Cash Money, No Limit, Etc . They got a great program . 

Yea coach k is my guy. Been knowing him since about 06. QC is in its way to be an icon like the other labels you mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now