Monolith2001

Xavier Rhodes says Julio tips off the defense

64 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, HouseofEuphoria said:

Got to give Rhodes credit for his smarts. He's one of the best right now.

But Julio could tell him at the line of scrimmage what route he was running and Rhodes' chance of stopping him is still slim to none.

Brings to mind the Larry Bird quote: "I am going to get the inball right here and will shoot a three in your face" Start is at 5:20:

Start at 5:21

Vandy, Flying Falcon, Chaz and 1 other like this

This is one of the matchups im looking forward to.  It may happen twice this year. The gloves might be a tell but who knows. Xavier is one of the few corners who can take Julio out of the game for stretches. I do hope J gets payback from last game they played. 

I'm glad this came out before we redid his contract. No need to invest now because it's all down hill from here now that the book is out.

Posted (edited)

I’m probably in the minority when I say this but I don’t like the fact of my #1 WR tipping his hand rather he’s “unstoppable or not” .. which is obnoxious fan talk anyway because no WR is “unstoppable” so to speak . The less you tip the better it is for the team as a whole . 

Edited by GeorgiaBoyz

6 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I’m probably in the minority when I say this but I don’t like the fact of my #1 WR tipping his hand rather he’s “unstoppable or not” .. which is obnoxious fan talk anyway because no WR is “unstoppable” so to speak . The less you tip the better it is for the team as a whole . 

Really?

2 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Yes . If it’s something he could clean up it’d be ideal . 

Agreed

10 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

So I'm the first one who's gonna point out that on the video, the play where he said Julio is getting the ball when he messes with his gloves, Julio messed with his gloves and didn't get the ball?

I mean...maybe ball was intended for him and coverage between the 2 didn’t matter at best? Would’ve been a terrible throw by Matt.

but ya...he’s just mostly talking noise. Julio could troll with guys if he wanted. I’m not really buying the extent that he implies it but doesn’t seem to matter. Could easily prove or disprove what he said.

1 on 1 Julio all day. Rolled or bracket coverage gonna happen anyway so what does it matter if he adjusts his gloves or not? Lol.

FalconsIn2020 and JDaveG like this

6 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

GB Packers 1967....We are running a sweep to the right on two. Try to stop it.

Reminds me of an old story about Jim Tressel when he was **** McPherson's OC at Syracuse. Tressel ran the same play three straight times and they gained 10+ yards each time. "Don't we have another play?" MacPherson shouted at Tressel.

"Sure we do, Coach," Tressel reportedly said calmly. "But they haven't stopped this one yet."

3 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Brings to mind the Larry Bird quote: "I am going to get the inball right here and will shoot a three in your face" Start is at 5:20:

Start at 5:21

“I run 6 plays, split veer. like novocaineJustgive it time, it always works.”

Flying Falcon and Tim Mazetti like this

6 hours ago, JDaveG said:

So I'm the first one who's gonna point out that on the video, the play where he said Julio is getting the ball when he messes with his gloves, Julio messed with his gloves and didn't get the ball?

Def noticed that. Rhodes is full of.****

JDaveG and Tim Mazetti like this

To his credit, Rhodes has done a good job in coverage vs Julio.

That being said, It has more to do with the fact the Vikings pressure always gives us a ton of fits. Rhodes can thank his front 7 for not making him cover Julio very long. 

16 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

That being said, It has more to do with the fact the Vikings pressure always gives us a ton of fits. Rhodes can thank his front 7 for not making him cover Julio very long. 

Not any more. Hopefully with our new additions we can block better than the last meeting. 

Pacific_Falcon and Chaz like this

104   1593

136   1871

83   1409

88   1444

113   1677

If this is what happens when CBs know what's coming and have help......guess they still have some work to do.

mar31985 and falconidae like this

1 hour ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

They way they have dominated our olins sure goes a long way.  Doubt we'll see much improvement first game either.  Have to think it will take the line some time to come together.

6 minutes ago, kschreck said:

They way they have dominated our olins sure goes a long way.  Doubt we'll see much improvement first game either.  Have to think it will take the line some time to come together.

Id be willing to bet the line will get a lot more minutes in preseason than a starting oline normally would.

kschreck likes this

16 hours ago, papachaz said:

even if he tips it, Dude still put him at the top. Julio be in Matt's mindset

"we know what's coming" 

"you can't fing stop it"

:golfclap:

That's about the size of it.

papachaz likes this

11 hours ago, JDaveG said:

I think the ball was tipped there with the pressure or Julio was 2nd read, IIRC, but I’m too lazy to go find the play. 

papachaz likes this

This is what frustrates me about Trufant and what frustrated me about Manuel's whole style. They didn't understand who they were playing and tailor to that. I remember the 2017 Dolphins game, when Landry was coming to town. He ended the season with 112 catches and 987 yards. That's less than 10 yards a catch. That's never happened. His longest catch to that point in the season was 18 yards. I said all week they have nobody but Landry, which they proved true with his highest targeted game of that season, and he doesn't run a single route beyond 10 yards. Yet every snap, Trufant was lined up 10 yards off the ball of a guy who didn't even run that far all game. Think about that. Did you watch film? How can a basic civilian see this but you pros can't? 

I hope with DQ at the helm, he can do the work for some of his guys like Tru. I don't know how intently some guys watch film or know what they are looking at. Debo and Kazee, you can tell they find tells. Rico as well. But if the DC isn't feeding it, there is a loss and it showed at times. 

papachaz and Tim Mazetti like this