droopy1592

Matt Ryan is Elite. Period.

164 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

here’s and interesting factoid. Drew and Aaron both on that list living by the short pass. Big Ben I’m not shocked because he had Bell and Connor but with AB he still went long. 

The Steelers would do a lot of bubble screens with AB too.

11 hours ago, athell said:

Drew been dink and dunk for a minute, people just don't want to admit it.

While his passes certainly haven’t been as long as they’ve been in years past, I’d bet that the vast majority of those 304 passes are screen plays and him “burning it” (throwing at the RB’s feet) when the screen is well covered. Reason I say that is because it only says “passes thrown at/behind the LOS”, not “passes completed at/behind the LOS”. If he charts out only the completions in that span, Brees’ number likely falls to ~225 or maybe slightly less because in the past few years, I’ve seen him burn quite a few balls when the play was shut down.

Add in how much we throw to our RB’s and FB out the backfield and of course he’s going to have some high numbers.

Edited by Iron Saint
athell likes this

15 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

here’s and interesting factoid. Drew and Aaron both on that list living by the short pass. Big Ben I’m not shocked because he had Bell and Connor but with AB he still went long. 

Wait...I was told Matt was "Checkdown Matty".

7 hours ago, Iron Saint said:

The Steelers would do a lot of bubble screens with AB too.

While his passes certainly haven’t been as long as they’ve been in years past, I’d bet that the vast majority of those 304 passes are screen plays and him “burning it” (throwing at the RB’s feet) when the screen is well covered. Reason I say that is because it only says “passes thrown at/behind the LOS”, not “passes completed at/behind the LOS”. If he charts out only the completions in that span, Brees’ number likely falls to ~225 or maybe slightly less because in the past few years, I’ve seen him burn quite a few balls when the play was shut down.

Add in how much we throw to our RB’s and FB out the backfield and of course he’s going to have some high numbers.

Seemed that way to me as well.  Is that a result of his arm aging?  Not as much zip?

Iron Saint likes this

48 minutes ago, athell said:

Seemed that way to me as well.  Is that a result of his arm aging?  Not as much zip?

I mean, for a guy knocking on 40, he’s naturally not going to have nearly the zip as in his 20’s or early 30’s but he can still push it downfield when absolutely needed (like a few plays before the no-call).

But I just think the high number of passes at/behind the LOS is just our play calling in general, we’ve always thrown a lot of screen passes.

10 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

I mean, for a guy knocking on 40, he’s naturally not going to have nearly the zip as in his 20’s or early 30’s but he can still push it downfield when absolutely needed (like a few plays before the no-call).

But I just think the high number of passes at/behind the LOS is just our play calling in general, we’ve always thrown a lot of screen passes.

Yea that's always been the Saints system to a degree. Brees gets rid of the ball FAST. Doesn't get hit very much. 

Ergo Proxy and Iron Saint like this

5 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Yea that's always been the Saints system to a degree. Brees gets rid of the ball FAST. Doesn't get hit very much. 

Indeed so, and that’s another aspect that is easily overlooked. We’ve always prioritized the offensive line during Brees’ tenure here to maximize his time to throw when he can’t get rid of it as fast as he likes.

In 205 games as a Saint, he’s been only sacked 303 times which averages out to about 1.48 sacks/game. Outside of the 2013 season where was sacked a career high 37 times, we’ve averaged around 20 sacks given up per year. I know he takes a few extra hits here and there but not that many.

That 2013 season was an anomaly because for the first 14 games we were trotting out a literal turnstile at LT, Charles Brown, and he was just getting beaten mercilessly, especially against Seattle. As a unit, we gave up 30 sacks in those first 14 games. Finally in Week 15 against the Rams, Payton benched Brown mid-game after giving up a strip sack. The next week we started a small school 3rd round rookie in his place and thankfully that has worked out for the most part considering he’s still our starting LT today.

On 7/9/2019 at 11:50 PM, FalconsIn2020 said:

He may not have had superstar receivers but he had superstar everything else.  Ward, Randle-El, Heath Miller, Nate Washington, Santanio Holmes, Bettis, Staley, Parker & Haynes ....then Pro Bowlers across the OL and an elite defense which allowed just 15 ppg.

That is quite a lot of help for Little Bennie

Give Matt Ryan those teams and we win more SBs than the Steelers did with Ben.

Can we put this one in the thread HoF?

Legit system that grades players responsible for their own success just debunked the whole “Ryan gets stats only because he has weapons” argument.

Tired of the Internet trolls.

Iron Saint and HASHBROWN3 like this

On 7/9/2019 at 0:25 PM, TheFatboi said:

Also he still hasn’t had that DEFINING TD moment in a big game yet like Brady, Peyton, and Brees, and Rodgers or Montana. He needs his “the catch” moment for a TD. He’s had plenty of great moments but still not a DEFINING moment in his career. When he has that they’ll change about him. He’s elite tho. Just needs his “the catch” TD to win a big game. 

I dunno. I think the only thing that's holding him back is a Superbowl ring.  His rookie year had some pretty spectacular plays.  The 1st professional pass goes for a TD, putting us in field goal range with 8 seconds left against the Bears.  Superbowl catch by Julio on the sideline, that ball could not have been placed anymore perfectly.  Unfortunately, we didn't seal the deal because that would have definitely been a defining moment.

HASHBROWN3 likes this