droopy1592

Matt Ryan is Elite. Period.

164 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

At this point of his career, I’d rather he be a champion. Otherwise when all is said and done, the folks outside of this organization will never truly understand and appreciate what he’s accomplished.

Become a champion and remove all doubt.

We all would, but the perception of Matt seems to be turning in the public's eye it seems.  Which is very odd...I am not having to defend him nearly as much and now people are starting to heap praise onto him.

FalconsIn2012 and Schwarzwald like this

12 minutes ago, athell said:

We all would, but the perception of Matt seems to be turning in the public's eye it seems.  Which is very odd...I am not having to defend him nearly as much and now people are starting to heap praise onto him.

Assuming a healthy year for him, he'll have 50,000+ yards and 300+ TDs about halfway through the year. the year. He'll be the tenth QB to accomplish that.

If this new OLine gels, it's going to be an amazing season from Ryan. He can legit threaten the other team deep every pass play and he's happy to take to dump off if the big play isn't there. [Think of Ollison sneaking out of the backfield and catching a pass with a full head of steam] Other teams will get worn out trying to keep up, both on offense and defense. He's also a master of play action.

18 minutes ago, Jesus said:

How come Matt gets grief for having good receivers but guys like Big Ben don't.

Because he won two championships before he ever got superstar receivers. He had Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and an aging Hines Ward during his Super Bowl Years. Good football players yeah but ain’t no Julio. 

Also each year Ben won the Super Bowl he had to go through either Ravens All time defense vs Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, Manning’s all time Colts offense and playoff Belichik/Brady to get there. Matt Ryan is yet to defeat Tom Brady in regular or post season. It factors in to the lore of those AFC guys when they dominated for so long while facing one another every single year.

Meanwhile the dominant NFC team during Matt’s time was who? Bree’s and Rodgers who both have a single ring. But neither of their team was consistently dominant or nearly as complete as the AFC juggernauts.

I think until Matt joins the champions circle people will always put him below Rodgers and Brees who themselves will always be a notch below Brady and Manning. Both of whom  Big Ben has beaten numerous times in big games. 

Max and ButSkiuup like this

52 minutes ago, Jesus said:

How come Matt gets no love for making the receivers better than they otherwise would be.  Sanu, Jenkins, Douglass and others played elsewhere and were less than their Falcons version of themselves

Douglass was an 1100 yard receiver with Ryan.  Left for Tenn at age 30 and had 600 yards the rest of his career

Jenkins has several solid seasons between 600-800 yards with Ryan.  He signed with Minn at 29 years old and had 800 yards the rest of his career

Hester had 600 combined yards receiving the three years prior to coming to Atlanta. One year with Ryan he nets over 500.

7 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Because he won two championships before he ever got superstar receivers. He had Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and an aging Hines Ward during his Super Bowl Years. Good football players yeah but ain’t no Julio. 

Also each year Ben won the Super Bowl he had to go through either Ravens All time defense vs Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, Manning’s all time Colts offense and playoff Belichik/Brady to get there. Matt Ryan is yet to defeat Tom Brady in regular or post season. It factors in to the lore of those AFC guys when they dominated for so long while facing one another every single year.

Meanwhile the dominant NFC team during Matt’s time was who? Bree’s and Rodgers who both have a single ring. But neither of their team was consistently dominant or nearly as complete as the AFC juggernauts.

I think until Matt joins the champions circle people will always put him below Rodgers and Brees who themselves will always be a notch below Brady and Manning. Both of whom  Big Ben has beaten numerous times in big games. 

He won one having one of the worst performances in a Super Bowl. Matt lost having one of the greatest performances in a Super Bowl. 

Schwarzwald likes this

33 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Lmao. Big Ben was gifted those SB by the defense. Big Ben had worst QB rating in a SB in 2006. Troy Polamalu and James Harrison were big reason for those SB rings. The AFC Championship game against Ravens was Troy. Even in 2010, Troy got a fumble inside the 10, and Steelers punched in to beat Ravens like 7-3. The Steelers Ravebs games were fights and often single digit final scores when Big Ben got his rings.

55 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

He may not have had superstar receivers but he had superstar everything else.  Ward, Randle-El, Heath Miller, Nate Washington, Santanio Holmes, Bettis, Staley, Parker & Haynes ....then Pro Bowlers across the OL and an elite defense which allowed just 15 ppg.

That is quite a lot of help for Little Bennie

Schwarzwald and falconidae like this

11 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

The left side of the play looked like a screen with Julio and Ryan sort of kind of looked that way or partially pumped so Kam bit on it. 

HD also motioned over to that side so Matt May have pumped to him. It was a great play tho. I remember Matt talking about how they ran the same play from a different formation earlier. The set up messed the hawks up. 

athell and PokerSteve like this

9 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

He had that in 51 with Julio but Shannahan pissed it away with his stupidity 

He's talking about a touchdown catch.

11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'd argue that the deep ball TD to Gabriel in that game is the best throw of Ryan's career. It was absolutely perfect and had to be as tight as the coverage was. Add in the distance and it doesn't get any better than that.

It was a good throw but I wasn't debating what the best throw of his career was. That's a debate that I wouldn't be able to have because there are too many good throws

7 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

LOL.. He won a couple SB’s early In career mainly due to steeler defense. 

See also Eli Manning. 

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Lmao. Big Ben was gifted those SB by the defense. Big Ben had worst QB rating in a SB in 2006. Troy Polamalu and James Harrison were big reason for those SB rings. The AFC Championship game against Ravens was Troy. Even in 2010, Troy got a fumble inside the 10, and Steelers punched in to beat Ravens like 7-3. The Steelers Ravebs games were fights and often single digit final scores when Big Ben got his rings.

9/21/123 yards 2 Ints in SB win over Seahawks. One of worst performances ever by a QB. 

9 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

He won one having one of the worst performances in a Super Bowl. Matt lost having one of the greatest performances in a Super Bowl. 

He still won and still got them there. Can we not pretend that the masses will ignore details in lieu of  a narrative, people count titles. 

I’m not a Big Ben supporter by the way I’m just stating what I think is obvious about his popularity 

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

LOL.. He won a couple SB’s early In career mainly due to steeler defense. 

See also Eli Manning. 

9/21/123 yards 2 Ints in SB win over Seahawks. One of worst performances ever by a QB. 

And that was one of the worst officiated SB. Seahawks got many calls go against them. 

Yal do realize, apples to apples, Falcons players will never be held and viewed the same as others right? Stories franchises and rabid fan bases such as the Steelers will always prop their guys up and get support because it’s backed by a history of winning the big one. 

Nobody here believes Ben is a better QB than Matt. But Ben has the titles to serve as a down payment. That stuff matters more to people.

Its always better to win ugly than to lose pretty. Period. Matt can retire as the greatest Super Bowl stat QB ever, but if his SB record is 0- whatever he will only be regarded as the best loser to ever play. I’m sure he’d rather throw for 150yds and 2 int and still win than the other way around.

9 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

How come Matt gets no love for making the receivers better than they otherwise would be.  Sanu, Jenkins, Douglass and others played elsewhere and were less than their Falcons version of themselves

Douglass was an 1100 yard receiver with Ryan.  Left for Tenn at age 30 and had 600 yards the rest of his career

Jenkins has several solid seasons between 600-800 yards with Ryan.  He signed with Minn at 29 years old and had 800 yards the rest of his career

Hester had 600 combined yards receiving the three years prior to coming to Atlanta. One year with Ryan he nets over 500.

You know who he makes look better? The Oline. And the defense, in the early days by keeping the D off the field and throughout his career by game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks.

23 minutes ago, falconidae said:

You know who he makes look better? The Oline. And the defense, in the early days by keeping the D off the field and throughout his career by game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks.

Very true.  He helps turn OC’s into Head Coaches...turns journeyman OL into well paid above average starters.  Matt is criminally under-appreciated

falconidae and Schwarzwald like this

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

It was a good throw but I wasn't debating what the best throw of his career was. That's a debate that I wouldn't be able to have because there are too many good throws

Was thinking the same thing. Hard to pick the best out of so many good ones. 

ya_boi_j and PokerSteve like this

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Jesus said:

Ben has a ring. That covers all sins ( to Joe Public at least ).

Edited by Geneaut
Jesus and PokerSteve like this

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

A ring and a rape.  Sadly one of these is overlooked because he has two of the other

Posted (edited)

I think Matt's public perception will change over the next few seasons if he continues his current production. I think at that point folks will realize what a long and productive career he's had.

Remember, to most fans he's always 'second fiddle' to the Brady's, Brees', and A-Aron's of the NFL. They just have him slotted there in their minds. When those guys are gone and Matt's still doing it year after year and the career numbers start becoming apparent to everyone they'll soften that stance a little.

Edited by Geneaut

3 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

To a degree. But when people talk about Matt's yardage and skill as a QB they point out that it's because he has Julio. Meanwhile those same people will say AB is the better receiver, but never give him credit for Big Ben's numbers. 

I think it's all silly. Good receivers and good QB's make each other better. There is no question about it. It is very rare for a great QB and a great receiver to end up together. When they do, it's special.

Drew4719, Geneaut and Schwarzwald like this

4 minutes ago, Jesus said:

To a degree. But when people talk about Matt's yardage and skill as a QB they point out that it's because he has Julio. Meanwhile those same people will say AB is the better receiver, but never give him credit for Big Ben's numbers. 

I think it's all silly. Good receivers and good QB's make each other better. There is no question about it. It is very rare for a great QB and a great receiver to end up together. When they do, it's special.

Exactly right. I don’t think Julio would have the kind of success he has now had he been drafted by Cleveland. He’d still be a good player. But I doubt he’d be a top 2 receiver every year 

Jesus, Drew4719 and Schwarzwald like this