apl2g

Julio has no plans to hold out..

226 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

Just once I want these dudes who argue 'players should honor the contract' to say the team should honor the contract of an underperforming player.

Sure he's overpaid and underperforming but we signed him to a four year contract and they need to honor that. Never seen that one for some reason.

If the contract is written in such a way that the team cannot opt out, then if they release him then they should be responsible for paying the remainder. But that's not the way they are written nor signed

4 hours ago, athell said:

Savage but true.  Shanny did Roddy dirty.

Roddy was done. It was fairly obvious. Even before Shanahan. Started in 2013. Fell off a cliff.

3 hours ago, Alomar said:

In JJ's case, I can't blame him for asking for a new deal the same year that the team spends a 1st round draft pick on another WR...Calvin Ridley. In Julio's shoes, are they trying to replace me is what I would be thinking. Look what happened with Roddy after they drafted JJ. I would want to make sure that my future is secure as well, based on the past. I don't personally think that they drafted Calvin thinking that we can let JJ walk now, but in JJ's shoes that thought would have to be there given the past. I believe Calvin was drafted because he was BPA at the pick.

Maybe Sani could take that approach.  Ridley can’t replace Julio.  No wide receiver can quite honestly.

2 hours ago, Jpowers said:

Just once I want these dudes who argue 'players should honor the contract' to say the team should honor the contract of an underperforming player.

Sure he's overpaid and underperforming but we signed him to a four year contract and they need to honor that. Never seen that one for some reason.

I wanted Vic back this year.  Does that count...lol 

2 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Maybe Sani could take that approach.  Ridley can’t replace Julio.  No wide receiver can quite honestly.

I agree 100%!!!

FalconsIn2020 and TheFatboi like this

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

True. But Julio went on to have one of best seasons ever for a WR that year. My point is even though he was getting over market value, he over-delivered even that. 

Jones has averaged 105/1600 yards per season over that contract. 

Contract was fair at the time, but Falcons ended up getting a bargain. It’s not “unfair” to ask them to redo it when you outperform. It’s done in business world all the time when you have the leverage as Julio does.

Falcons do it all the time too when they have the leverage. Ask Ryan Schraeder.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/02/falcons-ryan-schraeder-salary-cap-official/amp/

You know I love Julio.  Dude has no peer at his position.  But let’s forget about his production and just look at his contract.

Lets say his last contract was back loaded and he was set to earn 39 million the next two years instead of the first two years.   Would he be asking for a new deal?  Or would he gladly play out these last two seasons...

Regardless, I love Julio.  Pay him and let’s move on.  But I can see why people don’t like him trying to renegotiate just two years into his new deal once his big money was already paid to him

Vandy likes this

17 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

You know I love Julio.  Dude has no peer at his position.  But let’s forget about his production and just look at his contract.

Lets say his last contract was back loaded and he was set to earn 39 million the next two years instead of the first two years.   Would he be asking for a new deal?  Or would he gladly play out these last two seasons...

Regardless, I love Julio.  Pay him and let’s move on.  But I can see why people don’t like him trying to renegotiate just two years into his new deal once his big money was already paid to him

Consider: maybe it just doesn’t seem fair to those not in that position.

I don’t care that his contract was front loaded, and we know that’s not how he’s looking at it either. He’s outplayed his overall contract, in total. 

Ryan Schraeder didn’t, and falcons ceased to “honor” their part of paying the overall contract in total and took the cap hit. And they would do that to Julio too if he underplayed as well. 

At the end of the day, It comes down to leverage.

TheFatboi and FalconsIn2020 like this

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Consider: maybe it just doesn’t seem fair to those not in that position.

I don’t care that his contract was front loaded, and we know that’s not how he’s looking at it either. He’s outplayed his overall contract, in total. 

Ryan Schraeder didn’t, and falcons ceased to “honor” their part of paying the overall contract in total and took the cap hit. And they would do that to Julio too if he underplayed as well. 

It comes down to leverage.

Fair enough.  It’s going to be finalized in a week or two so debating is pointless.  I’ll just be glad when it’s done.

OT: I was surprised to see how high the franchise tag is for WR’s.  At 16.8 million wide receivers have the 3rd highest TAG amount.  Meanwhile Neal getting a ridiculous 6 mill on his 5th year while Beasley got 13 mill.  Neal should be ticked

Vandy and TheFatboi like this

57 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Roddy was done. It was fairly obvious. Even before Shanahan. Started in 2013. Fell off a cliff.

He did, but we are talking about a franchise icon that was just discarded.  He could have easily been a WR4 chain mover.  Now, I have no clue if Roddy would even have been willing to take that far of a step backwards, but he could have been a part of that team.

On 7/8/2019 at 6:20 PM, athell said:

Are you as miserable irl as you are here?

And it won't be an issue.  Last year was a bandaid, this year is the extension, next year and the following years Julio will be quiet.  This is not hard.

Additionally, Julio has never had plans to hold out.  This is a non story.

I mean did have an issue 2 years into a 5 year deal so while the poster is being a bit dramatic he isn't totally wrong.

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I mean did have an issue 2 years into a 5 year deal so while the poster is being a bit dramatic he isn't totally wrong.

Not totally.  I mentioned that deep down in his posting there is a point, he just can't seem to get to it lol

But yeah, he isn't totally wrong.  I do genuinely think this will be the last time Julio Jones and contract ever are an issue ever again.  Even though it's not even really an issue right now...

Malachore and FalconsIn2020 like this

23 hours ago, Jpowers said:

I don't even know what that means but that doll is creepy as ****. I feel reaffirmed in not liking y'all.

Hahah, it is, isn't it? :lol:

I almost went with this one instead...

giphy.gif

But decided to use the one I did because the head looked like a skull of a bird so...

:tiphat:

Jpowers and Vandy like this

10 hours ago, Malachore said:

Yep and if its not a contract dispute it is some ticky tack foot issue he always seems to have. For a guy that wants to be paid like the best WR in the NFL he sure does seem to always come up with an off season issue EVERY off season to miss time at some point.

16 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Yep and if its not a contract dispute it is some ticky tack foot issue he always seems to have. For a guy that wants to be paid like the best WR in the NFL he sure does seem to always come up with an off season issue EVERY off season to miss time at some point.

And yet he is the guy who leads all-time in yards receiving per game at 96 over the course of 8 seasons. 1598 yards a season on average over the last 5. 

Missing that offseason time sure has hurt him. :lol:

TheFatboi and slickgadawg like this

2 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Do you actually believe this nonsense?  Like really?

slickgadawg likes this

33 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

Holding out is missing training camp. He missed a couple mini camps last year. It didn't stop his production or diminish the flow of the offense clearly.

TheFatboi and athell like this

29 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Holding out is missing training camp. He missed a couple mini camps last year. It didn't stop his production or diminish the flow of the offense clearly.

Training

Mini

Tomato

Tomatoe

/fart noise

1 hour ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

Mini camp. Not training camp. I told everybody last year to worry if he doesn’t show to training camp. I also said if he shows up to Matt’s camp he’ll be there for training camp. All happened just that way. I don’t worry about anything but training camp for player hold outs cause that’s when it all counts. Pads come on a separate the men from the boys. 

vel, athell, FalconsIn2020 and 1 other like this

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Mini camp. Not training camp. I told everybody last year to worry if he doesn’t show to training camp. I also said if he shows up to Matt’s camp he’ll be there for training camp. All happened just that way. I don’t worry about anything but training camp for player hold outs cause that’s when it all counts. Pads come on a separate the men from the boys. 

Folks had panties in a bunch about mini camp and can't even talk about what happened since then. Training camp is going to wash over all that. 

TheFatboi, athell and Vandy like this

Posted (edited)

The robbery of these players starts in college.  Business insider released the results of research done back in 2013 of the fair market value of college football and basketball players.  This was in 2013 before the latest contracts. Its waaay more now...

https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-much-college-athletes-are-worth-2013-3

Image result for robbing college athletes under the guise of amateurism

The National College Players Association and Drexel University just released a studyon how much college athletes would be worth on the open market.

The conclusion: The fair market value for the average FBS football player is $137,357 per year, and the fair market value for the average men's basketball player is $289,031 per year.

Right now the average player earns just $23,204 in scholarship money.

The study is fairly simple. In the NBA, players receive 50% of all revenue, and in the NFL players receive 46.5% of all revenue.

If you used that revenue-sharing model in college sports, football and basketball players would collectively receive $6.2 billion.

Here's the key part of the study:

Findings from this study offer an indictment of the principle of amateurism used by the NCAA to enforce a system that distributes the wealth generated by big money college sport programs away from the players and redirects it to coaches, administrators, conference commissioners, bowl executives, colleges and universities, and corporate entities. College sport officials have created a system of inequity that exploits young people and brings dishonor to the academy by:

• denying revenue-producing athletes the opportunity to negotiate on their own behalf
  • limiting their ability to transfer
  • restricting the compensation they receive and failing to compensate them for the use of their names, images, and likenesses
  • failing to provide adequate protections in the form of health benefits
  • placing extreme demands on their time, energies, and psyches
  • barring athletes from pursuing sponsorship deals
  • limiting athlete access to due process and fair enforcement reviews

Giving 50% of all revenue to players would destroy the entire structure of how college athletics is funded, so it's not realistic at this point. Even the boldest proposals to give college athletes more money fall short of their fair market value. ( I don't agree with that statement one bit).

But it's good that we can now put a number on what these guys would be making if the NCAA rules were different

Edited by slickgadawg
athell likes this

8 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Your common sense has no place here, my brother.

TheFatboi and FalconsIn2020 like this

39 minutes ago, vel said:

Folks had panties in a bunch about mini camp and can't even talk about what happened since then. Training camp is going to wash over all that. 

Exactly.