apl2g

Julio has no plans to hold out..

226 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Williamb said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Julio's play. I appreciate the way he handles himself both on and off the field. My one and only team Jersey is a red Julio Jersey. But, in my line of work, if I sign a contract and receive a bonus for doing so, I pay back the bonus for leaving early or violating the contract. And, bear in mind that these are not rubber stamped contracts, they are individually based and agreed upon by the individual. Cant help that other guys came along and signed better contracts. You are still obligated to yours and anything worked out other than that is through the generosity of your employer.

In your line of work do :

- People pay to see you work?

- You sell merchandise to millions with your name on it?

- People watch you on television?

- Prove to be the absolute best at your trade while making less than others?

I always love the pro athlete to average joe comparisons.  It may be the laziest take in all of sports.

3 hours ago, MAD597 said:

Then he should just work off of one year franchise tag every year if he wants to keep getting paid at the top after signing a multi year contract.

When you’re the best, you don’t have to play by those rules. May not seem fair, but it’s how our system works. 

Flying Falcon and athell like this

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

When you’re the best, you don’t have to play by those rules. May not seem fair, but it’s how our system works. 

Not to mention teams can only tag a player up to 3 times and even this year the average of the top 5 still isn't top wr money.

More L's for MAD597

Vandy, kiwifalcon and Flying Falcon like this

Posted (edited)

From a business point of view, football is the WORST for a athlete.  First, you give them four years of free labor in college, THEN, you sign a UNGUARANTEED contract in the NFL.  They can cut you anytime so from a MARKET point of view, the players have to get theirs.  The majority of ex NFL players go broke...   They are financially illiterate and get taken advantage of.  So a athlete like Julio tries to take care of himself and some folks get upset...

https://www.si.com/vault/2009/03/23/105789480/how-and-why-athletes-go-broke

• By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.

• Numerous retired MLB players have been similarly ruined, and the current economic crisis is taking a toll on some active players as well. Last month 10 current and former big leaguers--including outfielders Johnny Damon of the Yankees and Jacoby Ellsbury of the Red Sox and pitchers Mike Pelfrey of the Mets and Scott Eyre of the Phillies--discovered that at least some of their money is tied up in the $8 billion fraud allegedly perpetrated by Texas financier Robert Allen Stanford. Pelfrey told the New York Post that 99% of his fortune is frozen; Eyre admitted last month that he was broke, and the team quickly agreed to advance a portion of his $2 million salary.

Edited by slickgadawg
Flying Falcon, Vandy and athell like this

1 minute ago, athell said:

Not to mention teams can only tag a player up to 3 times and even this year the average of the top 5 still isn't top wr money.

More L's for MAD597

Never understood the mentality of turning on players once they start getting paid....he’s not alone, there’s quite a few in here who begrudge star players getting rewarded. 

Free is another example...board turned on him mercilessly, and use every excuse to diss him. I hope he shuts them up this upcoming year like Julio has the past few seasons....

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

From a business point of view, football is the WORST for a athlete.  First, you give them four years of free labor in college, THEN, you sign a UNGUARANTEED contract in the NFL.  They can cut you anytime so from a MARKET point of view, the players have to get theirs.  The majority of ex NFL players go broke...

Truth.

athell and slickgadawg like this

2 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

From a business point of view, football is the WORST for a athlete.  First, you give them four years of free labor in college, THEN, you sign a UNGUARANTEED contract in the NFL.  They can cut you anytime so from a MARKET point of view, the players have to get theirs.  The majority of ex NFL players go broke...

Yep.  And that doesn't even get into the injuries and long term prognosis for most of these guys.  People acting like they would take less than they are worth are not being honest with themselves.

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Never understood the mentality of turning on players once they start getting paid....he’s not alone, there’s quite a few in here who begrudge star players getting rewarded. 

Free is another example...board turned on him mercilessly, and use every excuse to diss him. I hope he shuts them up this upcoming year like Julio has the past few seasons....

Wish I could like this a thousand times bro.  Amen.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Deion Jones will get his turn....just wait.

athell, kiwifalcon and Vandy like this

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Truth.

I found a Sports Illustrated article and posted it in my comment.  They said back in 2009 that 78 percent of NFL players go broke.  I personally know one that makes living literally cutting grass right now and selling barbecue on the side of the street...

Flying Falcon and Vandy like this

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

I found a Sports Illustrated article and posted it in my comment.  They said back in 2009 that 78 percent of NFL players go broke.  I personally know one that makes living literally cutting grass right now and selling barbecue on the side of the street...

Believe me bro, I know. 

Blank paid what, $500M for falcons? last I saw, that investment is worth $3B today. And good for him. 

Yet these young men are the ones risking their health and will be out of league in a few years.....and folks want to diss them for renegotiating due to outplaying a contract for a few more million? 

40 minutes ago, athell said:

In your line of work do :

- People pay to see you work?

- You sell merchandise to millions with your name on it?

- People watch you on television?

- Prove to be the absolute best at your trade while making less than others?

I always love the pro athlete to average joe comparisons.  It may be the laziest take in all of sports.

No but in my line of work what or how fast I inject something into your vein may kill you.

Remember how Jamal Anderson was adored during the 1998 season by Falcons fans.  Mr. Dirtybird himself.  That very off season he held out to get his FIRST big payday and the whole city turned on him.  The ugly part was he was fighting the Falcons over the SIGNING BONUS, not the salary itself, he was fighting over the guaranteed signing bonus and folks turned on him.  Then what happened on cue?  Tore his knee up in Dallas and was never the same.  Now think if he hadn't held out he would have NEVER even got the little bit he did. ( which he lost anyway because he went thru a foreclosure of the house he bought with that money).  By the time these guys pay taxes, agent fees, child support, creditors, bad investments, they go broke, so they have to grab the most they can before its too late...

https://www.tmz.com/2013/01/26/jamal-anderson-nfl-falcons-georgia-mansion-foreclosure-auction-sale/

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/22/sports/football-falcons-anderson-is-out-for-the-season-with-injury.html

An 0-2 start became an afterthought for the Atlanta Falcons, who received devastating news today that the All-Pro running back Jamal Anderson is out for the season with a knee injury.

Anderson tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on Monday night in a 24-7 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. He fell to the ground without being touched on his third carry of the game.

This season, Anderson missed two weeks of training camp in a contract dispute. He reported two days before the first exhibition game after receiving a five-year, $32 million contract, including a $7.5 million signing bonus.

Vandy and Flying Falcon like this

10 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Deion Jones will get his turn....just wait.

Don’t ask me why I say this but I honestly don’t think he will.  He is seen as the poster boy of our 2nd renaissance under TD.  Plus he deserves 18-20 mill but will probably get 15 so he may be seen as a value contract by the fans.

GeorgiaBoyz likes this

15 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

@Vandy

I support all players.  But the ones I truly want to get paid their worth are the mid level veterans.  Julio has generational wealth now.  He and his progeny are fine

But players like Davison who are established and productive veterans.  Dude is only making $700,000.  And before anyone says that’s a lot, his paychecks will add up to $375,000.   Then he pays his agent etc.  People on this board bring home more than that man.  And his career window is fixed at 12 fleeting years.

slickgadawg and Vandy like this

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Don’t ask me why I say this but I honestly don’t think he will.  He is seen as the poster boy of our 2nd renaissance under TD.  Plus he deserves 18-20 mill but will probably get 15 so he may be seen as a value contract by the fans.

If he gets banged up, just wait. 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

3 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

I don't know man. Our own fans hate on Julio and Matt both. 

FalconsIn2020 and athell like this

7 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Remember how Jamal Anderson was adored during the 1998 season by Falcons fans.  Mr. Dirtybird himself.  That very off season he held out to get his FIRST big payday and the whole city turned on him.  The ugly part was he was fighting the Falcons over the SIGNING BONUS, not the salary itself, he was fighting over the guaranteed signing bonus and folks turned on him.  Then what happened on cue?  Tore his knee up in Dallas and was never the same.  Now think if he hadn't held out he would have NEVER even got the little bit he did. ( which he lost anyway because he went thru a foreclosure of the house he bought with that money).  By the time these guys pay taxes, agent fees, child support, creditors, bad investments, they go broke, so they have to grab the most they can before its too late...

https://www.tmz.com/2013/01/26/jamal-anderson-nfl-falcons-georgia-mansion-foreclosure-auction-sale/

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/22/sports/football-falcons-anderson-is-out-for-the-season-with-injury.html

An 0-2 start became an afterthought for the Atlanta Falcons, who received devastating news today that the All-Pro running back Jamal Anderson is out for the season with a knee injury.

Anderson tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee on Monday night in a 24-7 loss to the Dallas Cowboys. He fell to the ground without being touched on his third carry of the game.

This season, Anderson missed two weeks of training camp in a contract dispute. He reported two days before the first exhibition game after receiving a five-year, $32 million contract, including a $7.5 million signing bonus.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blackenterprise.com/jamal-anderson-broke-house-for-sale/amp/

i know, it’s sad man. I’m sure he made alot of mistakes, which is why the NFL should also do a better job educating and screening the advisors to these young men. Dump a bigger percentage of the contract in a guaranteed pension annuity so they can’t squander it all away. Something. 

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Believe me bro, I know. 

Blank paid what, $500M for falcons? last I saw, that investment is worth $3B today. And good for him. 

Yet these young men are the ones risking their health and will be out of league in a few years.....and folks want to diss them for renegotiating due to outplaying a contract for a few more million? 

And the owners get paid over and over and over even when the player is long gone from the NFL.  Thats why Joe Montana is salty with the NFL and refuses to appear ANYWHERE without them paying him...

Edited by slickgadawg
athell, Vandy and Flying Falcon like this

12 minutes ago, Williamb said:

No but in my line of work what or how fast I inject something into your vein may kill you.

You should have stopped at No

There are many very important professions in this world and while much more important than professional sports, none garner nearly the attention or entertainment value.  Point being, stop comparing your 9 to 5 to a professional athlete.  There is no comparison.

Flying Falcon and Vandy like this

Posted (edited)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blackenterprise.com/jamal-anderson-broke-house-for-sale/amp/

i know, it’s sad man. I’m sure he made alot of mistakes, which is why the NFL should also do a better job educating and screening the advisors to these young men. Dump a bigger percentage of the contract in a guaranteed pension annuity so they can’t squander it all away.

Thats its.  That is sadly the only way.  Allen Iverson had somebody look out for him.  He has a pension that starts paying out when he turns around 50 I believe.  I can't remember but I do know that the majority of his money is tied up exactly like how you said. 

I posted how Joe Montana is salty with the NFL because even he got played financially and refuses to appear anywhere for the NFL without being compensated...

Edited by slickgadawg
Vandy and Flying Falcon like this

4 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Does your employer also have the right to just rip up the contract at any point and not honor the whole thing on THEIR end?

His signature gave them that right. I'm all for Julio getting paid, and for all the money he can get out of the team. That goes for any other player too. But all this crap about players being bankrupt after they retire and stuff is ridiculous. Hire a freaking agent and financial manager that is worth their salary. Stay your butt in school for the (free somewhat) four years, and get an education that is worth something. AND, just like in marriages, divorces, mortgages, and others, Honor your contract. Otherwise don't sign one giving management the upper hand. This is just my point of view as a man, not a professional player of a game.

11 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

@Vandy

I support all players.  But the ones I truly want to get paid their worth are the mid level veterans.  Julio has generational wealth now.  He and his progeny are fine

But players like Davison who are established and productive veterans.  Dude is only making $700,000.  And before anyone says that’s a lot, his paychecks will add up to $375,000.   Then he pays his agent etc.  People on this board bring home more than that man.  And his career window is fixed at 12 fleeting years.

Couple thoughts on this:

1.  There is never "enough" money.  We, as professionals, never hit a cap on how much we could/should earn in our careers.  Players should make as much as they can in the short amount of time that they can, as you mentioned, fleeting years.

2.  Market value is something people really really need to focus on.  People love to harp on the players, when the reality is there are teams paying much more for much less talented players.

3.  Davison is nowhere near as good at his position as Julio is at his position.  Julio is a hall of fame player.  Davison is just an average nfl player.