Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g-dawg

Hawks give up on Omari Spellman - trade him for a bag of donuts

36 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I don’t think it’s that simple at all.   There are a lot of spare parts on Hawks now that could have been processed or bought out.   Schlenk drafted Spellman and Parker is effectively on a one year deal.

Yes but we brought in two power forwards who have done stuff in this league. Spellman's playing time wasn't assured anyway. Now, the signing of Parker may have come together because of Spellman's questionable work ethic, but in a vacuum, he's the better play anyway. He had a 19 PER in 2016-2017 and shot well for Washington in the second half last year.

We just drafted Cam Reddish based on what he did in high school. Parker was one of the top high school prospects of the 21st century. He's not just a guy. If the choices are Spellman's upside versus Parker's, it's a no-brainer anyway.

To a larger point, even though I liked the Spellman pick at the time and thought he showed flashes last year, I'm never going to be that married to the #30 pick in the NBA Draft unless they show out immediately. Outside of the lottery, most of these kids are low percentage plays.

It's why I'm a bit amused that future first round picks have become the premier currency of the league. They're like cryptos. The value is wildly variable. You and I love team building and roster maneuvers the same, so I totally get why you're annoyed by this. But the NBA is different from the NFL.

The #30 pick here is like a sixth round pick in the NFL. If a guy taken that late in the NFL Draft shows up fat and unmotivated for camp in year two, we cut him. It's not (necessarily) a bad draft pick. It's a player who didn't commit to his profession enough. We gambled on talent here, hoping that the work ethic would come. We lost that bet. For a team in our situation last year, I'd still rather we try that than take an obvious career bench player.

Having said that, I really wanted Jalen Brunson.

Diggable Birds likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jidady said:

Yes but we brought in two power forwards who have done stuff in this league. Spellman's playing time wasn't assured anyway. Now, the signing of Parker may have come together because of Spellman's questionable work ethic, but in a vacuum, he's the better play anyway. He had a 19 PER in 2016-2017 and shot well for Washington in the second half last year.

We just drafted Cam Reddish based on what he did in high school. Parker was one of the top high school prospects of the 21st century. He's not just a guy. If the choices are Spellman's upside versus Parker's, it's a no-brainer anyway.

To a larger point, even though I liked the Spellman pick at the time and thought he showed flashes last year, I'm never going to be that married to the #30 pick in the NBA Draft unless they show out immediately. Outside of the lottery, most of these kids are low percentage plays.

It's why I'm a bit amused that future first round picks have become the premier currency of the league. They're like cryptos. The value is wildly variable. You and I love team building and roster maneuvers the same, so I totally get why you're annoyed by this. But the NBA is different from the NFL.

The #30 pick here is like a sixth round pick in the NFL. If a guy taken that late in the NFL Draft shows up fat and unmotivated for camp in year two, we cut him. It's not (necessarily) a bad draft pick. It's a player who didn't commit to his profession enough. We gambled on talent here, hoping that the work ethic would come. We lost that bet. For a team in our situation last year, I'd still rather we try that than take an obvious career bench player.

Having said that, I really wanted Jalen Brunson.

I understand the points you are making but your original point is still wrong.

If Spellman showed up in shape and with the right attitude, he is still a Hawk - regardless of Jabari Walker signing.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, g-dawg said:

in an ironic twist - Spellman ate the donuts that were to go to Atlanta/Schlenk....

Golden State was then forced to add a player to the deal.

Just Summer League but Spellman Bag O Donuts was by far our best player last game.  Like not even close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Just Summer League but Spellman Bag O Donuts was by far our best player last game.  Like not even close

Bruno looked darn good too, and that was after no team practice and no team play for 3 months.

I don’t often toot my own horn, but I was the first person on this forum to even mention Bruno Fernando as a want well before the draft.  I sees it. He gun be guud.

FalconsIn2012, Statick and thofin21 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I understand the points you are making but your original point is still wrong.

If Spellman showed up in shape and with the right attitude, he is still a Hawk - regardless of Jabari Walker signing.   

I just don't see that. If we can get Jabari Parker, at that price, a guy who played 17 MPG last year isn't going to stand in the way of it. And those guys get cut/traded, which is exactly what Golden State did the other way with a guy who IS in shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jidady said:

I just don't see that. If we can get Jabari Parker, at that price, a guy who played 17 MPG last year isn't going to stand in the way of it. And those guys get cut/traded, which is exactly what Golden State did the other way with a guy who IS in shape.

Jabari Parker is effectively on a 1-yr deal.   If he has a good season, he's out.   Parker is a one  year scoring mercenary - not part of a future core.   I would place the odds of re-signing Parker very, very low.

Is Parker a better player than Spellman right now?  Clearly.

Is Parker a better player than Spellman going forward? Probably

If Spellman was in shape w/ the right attitude would we still have signed Parker? Maybe

 

Spellman was always a "long-term" play for the Hawks if he worked out.  He wasn't drafted for being a force in 2019/2020.   Parker will be with the Hawks for a cup of coffee as will Crabbe and Hill - before the Purge Anarchy next year.

Spellman was always "long term"

Parker is and will be "short term"

the two guys were in different roster buckets and this is why it wasn't as simple as you say substituting one for the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't have any specific opinions on Spellman as a prospect, but I didn't like the optics that it seemed the Hawks were seemingly projecting him into being a unicorn type player in Draymond Green and potentially not fairly evaluating him on his own merits. But really late 1st round picks like that are longshots so whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Jabari Parker is effectively on a 1-yr deal.   If he has a good season, he's out.   Parker is a one  year scoring mercenary - not part of a future core.   I would place the odds of re-signing Parker very, very low.

Is Parker a better player than Spellman right now?  Clearly.

Is Parker a better player than Spellman going forward? Probably

If Spellman was in shape w/ the right attitude would we still have signed Parker? Maybe

 

Spellman was always a "long-term" play for the Hawks if he worked out.  He wasn't drafted for being a force in 2019/2020.   Parker will be with the Hawks for a cup of coffee as will Crabbe and Hill - before the Purge Anarchy next year.

Spellman was always "long term"

Parker is and will be "short term"

the two guys were in different roster buckets and this is why it wasn't as simple as you say substituting one for the other.

Parker’s deal is two years with a player option. I wouldn’t count out on Parker being a long term asset. He’s only 24

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Champford said:

Parker’s deal is two years with a player option. I wouldn’t count out on Parker being a long term asset. He’s only 24

wrong.   It's really a ONE year deal, with a player option for a 2nd year.

At $6.5mm/per year, if Parker has a good year, he is opting out.    Probably the only way Hawks see a 2nd year is if he gets hurt or plays like an old short white man with polio.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

wrong.   It's really a ONE year deal, with a player option for a 2nd year.

At $6.5mm/per year, if Parker has a good year, he is opting out.    Probably the only way Hawks see a 2nd year is if he gets hurt or plays like an old short white man with polio.

I absolutely think the Hawks see a potential future with Jabari Parker. He looked like he was going to be a top-10 player in this league before he tore the same ACL twice. At 24, he's still a very good gamble.

Nobody in next year's draft has the reputation that Parker did coming out of high school. He was the Gatorade player of the year, he was consensus first-team All-American at Duke, and then he was Rookie of the Month both months before he tore his ACL. 

Parker is less than a calendar year removed from signing a two-year, $40 million contract. The nonsense with the Bulls was just more bad luck for this guy. He can play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jidady said:

I absolutely think the Hawks see a potential future with Jabari Parker. He looked like he was going to be a top-10 player in this league before he tore the same ACL twice. At 24, he's still a very good gamble.

Nobody in next year's draft has the reputation that Parker did coming out of high school. He was the Gatorade player of the year, he was consensus first-team All-American at Duke, and then he was Rookie of the Month both months before he tore his ACL. 

Parker is less than a calendar year removed from signing a two-year, $40 million contract. The nonsense with the Bulls was just more bad luck for this guy. He can play.

I doubt it - who knows for sure? The current contract he signed absolutely is a short term deal.

jayu70 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0