Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atljbo

Atlanta Hawks signed Jabari Parker

29 posts in this topic

It's sad that Jabari's career has not gone as planned starting with those back to back knee injuries.

He seem like a good dude. Only 24 years old.

atljbo likes this

12 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

It's sad that Jabari's career has not gone as planned starting with those back to back knee injuries.

He seem like a good dude. Only 24 years old.

I said the same thing.... yooooo.. I swear I thought he was going to be a Durant type...  I know he had 2 acl''s but dude is only 24 man and he can give u 14 points coming off the bench

19 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I said the same thing.... yooooo.. I swear I thought he was going to be a Durant type...  I know he had 2 acl''s but dude is only 24 man and he can give u 14 points coming off the bench

Yeah, I think those knee injuries robbed him of a good bit of his athleticism.

He is a good role-player, but sadly he will more than likely never become what we thought what he would be.

Still trying to cling on to that 1/2% of hope.

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I like it....Parker can give you buckets off the bench...  A guy that can shoot also as the backup 4

I think this means vice is most likely gone.

yeah,  with all the bad contract we took back in deals plus the need to get a lot of young guys minutes on top of VC saying he wanted a good chunk of minutes - it was time to part ways - Vinsanity was good for a young team last year but time to move on.

I like Jabari Parker. I was always pulling for him.  Glad we are giving him an opportunity to contribute. 

WIZARDS fans not happy about letting Jabari walk...they say HAWKS got a bargain.  Meanwhile idiotic walterfootball.com grades the Hawks signing an "F".....dumbest website ever.   To get a guy that can come off the bench and give you 14ppg for $6.5mm/yr is a great signing - even if Jabari cannot play a lick of defense.   We need a scorer coming off the bench - Cam may be that guy but need one more - especially while Cam is a rook.

Nice price...

Would have liked to have seen the Wizards sign him for that price.

He could’ve taught Rui a trick or two…

I wish him well!

Posted  by VCTerp  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:04 PM

I find it unlikely he would have signed with the Wizards at that price.

Posted  by kalorama  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:29 PM

Wish we could’ve kept him

Especially THAT cheap.

Wishing him the best. Atlanta’s really got a helluva squad

Posted  by JahnWall  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:10 PM

$13 for Two Years?

That’s a steal. Ish Smith got two for $12 and Parker is a far better pickup than a marginal backup point guard who can’t shoot.

Posted  by SteveMG500  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:11 PM

This move was bullish!t

Jabari Parker = $6.5 million a year for 2 years 
Ish Smith = $6 million a year for 2 years

Who would you rather have for the same price, a former number 2 pick in the draft whose got something to prove OR a journeyman point guard with no upside?

Tommy Sheppard flocked this one up big time. Not having ANYTHING to show for losing Otto and Oubre and Austin Rivers and Markief… those guys all had value. Now there is nothing to show for their getting traded. You couldn’t keep Jabari for $6.5 mil a year????? Really REALLY bad choice.

What he said :top:

Posted  by Perm  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:23 PM

Not losing sleep over losing Rivers or Keep

Agree with Otto and Oubre though, but do we even know whether or not an offer was made?

Posted  by qthaballa  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:45 PM

And Parker is 24 years old

Turned 24 in March. Yes, he plays little defense and there are questions about his health; but nobody on this roster plays defense. We saw him make a lot of spectacular plays last year. Yes, he inconsistent but he’s 24. I’d rather have Parker than CJ Miles. This makes no sense to me.

Posted  by SteveMG500  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:50 PM

The Wizards couldn't have kept Parker for $6.5 mill/yr even if they wanted to

The only advantage the Wizards had in keeping Parker was that they could pay him $20 mill w/o regard to the cap. Once that was off the table, Parker basically lost any incentive to negotiate with the Wizards up front. Had the Wiz offered him the same deal as Atlanta immediately after declining his option, he’d have burned a trail in the carpet heading for the door. Once the $20 mill was out of play, he hit the market looking for the most money he could get. And he had no reason to give the Wizards any kind of opportunity to match it. They had their shot.

Posted  by kalorama  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:54 PM

You don’t know what Jabari was thinking

You are making a lot of assumptions on behalf of Jabari in this scenario. The fact is if the Wiz wanted him at a discount price, he was open to it as evidenced by his deal with Atlanta. Instead of spending roughly the same amount of money on a complete zero like Ish Smith, they could have made an investment in a former #2 pick who is much younger and has tons more potential. Even if you think he was a bad fit culture-wise, that stuff can be changed under the right circumstances. This was a frustratingly bad loss for the Wiz!

I'm looking at what happened and drawing reasonable, logical conclusions.

You’re looking at what happened and forming pie-in-the-sky theories rooted in wishful thinking.

Posted  by kalorama  on Jul 8, 2019 | 5:08 PM

Reading this made me sad :confused:

For that price we really would not have been paying him to play defense

I wanted him back and i'm very surprised by how little he got

but watching some of the egregious turnovers and space cadet stuff he did out there, i understand the desire to move on.

i do hope he puts it together though. good luck jabari.

Now I don't like Jabari but for that low, we could have kept him....

Maybe he was asking for too much money here.

Posted  by jayscott  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:29 PM

Disappointing

He would have actually be the 2nd or 3rd only actual proven talent (pending IT’s health) on the roster and much needed. Signed on a bargain deal relative to his play last season too. Oh well, wish him the best and hope he stays healthy

Posted  by qthaballa  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:30 PM

Wtf?

Posted  by sheedali  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:35 PM

As the roster started to fill out, it seemed like Parker was the odd-man out.

A day after acquiring Davis Bertans- waiving Jonathon Simmons- Washington is now at 16 players (including second rd pick Admiral Schofield) and roughly $4M below the luxury tax.

Also, considering how often Jabari lagged back on defense if he missed an easy bucket, or didn’t get the foul, this fits with everything that’s been coming out of the team since the draft. Wish he could’ve had another year here, but this was the best move.

Posted  by ChillVillain  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:39 PM

I'd love to know how or why we couldn't get him for that price.

Maybe because our new GM is a lot like our old GM.

Posted  by savoirfair  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:50 PM

Wall and 3 firsts for Westy...

Besides Ted, who says no?

Posted  by quickfuse  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:54 PM

That would be the worst Wizards trade of all time, with no close 2nd place.

Posted  by Keith_Ward  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:57 PM

Yeah. It would suck to have a perennial league MVP candidate on our team paired with Beal.

Posted  by quickfuse  on Jul 8, 2019 | 3:59 PM

**** no

Posted  by novadada  on Jul 8, 2019 | 4:17 PM

Pretty much everyone in any kind of decision making position for both teams.

Posted  by kalorama  on Jul 8, 2019 | 4:23 PM

Speaking of which . . .

The Thunder appear to be officially in full tear down mode.

They traded Jerami Grant to the Nuggets for a first round pick, dumping some salary in the process. They also gave Mike Muscala and Alec Burks—who they signed as FAs last week—the option to get out of their deals in the wake of the PG13 trade. Muscala opted to stay, but Burks is fleeing the ship.

With all the picks they’re stockpiling, it’s possible that the Thunder might be open to taking back fewer tangible assets in a Westbrook trade, as long as they can get some major cap relief.

Posted  by kalorama  on Jul 8, 2019 | 4:51 PM

Might be our chance to get rid of mahinmi

Posted  by jayscott  on Jul 8, 2019 | 5:04 PM

What would that trade accomplish?

If the goal is to win championships, we saw Westbrook couldn’t do it with much more talented rosters than we have in DC. So we give up 3 1sts for what, to make the playoffs again??

Posted  by qthaballa  on Jul 8, 2019 | 5:14 PM

How about Otto Porter, Kelly Oubre, Austin Rivers, Markieff Morris, Jabari Parker, Bobby Portis, Thomas Satoransky, Jeff Green, and Trevor Ariza for...

Ish Smith!
Forget the ESPN Trade Machine, this one broke the George Michael’s Sports Machine

Spot on post

I laughed when I read this…..but then I was like yes you are 100 percent correct. I haven’t the slightest idea what kind of team or vision Tommy has at this point. Not like we created any additional cap space by taking on CJ contract or Ish Smith while retaining Ian Mahinmi and Walll. Tanking does not work anymore!

Posted  by Chicodcmd  on Jul 8, 2019 | 5:11 PM

How is any of that on Tommy?

Most of those moves were under Grunfeld’s reign and you can make a reasonable case to understand every move made since then. Yeah I wanted the team to look at bringing Sato and Parker back, but I can understand why they didn’t.

I don’t see where the confusion is in the vision, every move they have made points to creating maximum flexibility in the next couple of years while trying to remain competitive in the interim.

Posted  by qthaballa  on Jul 8, 2019 | 5:17 PM

So what are we looking at at this point?

PG — Smith, Thomas, Robinson
SG — Beal, McRae, Bonga
SF — Miles, Brown, Jones
PF — Bertans, Hachimura, Schofield
C — Bryant, Wagner, Mahinmi

I mean, that’s a pretty **** good tanking team right there. They’ll be bad, but they’ll be entertaining. There are young guys to watch develop, there are vets to carry some minutes and provide leadership. And if they get blown away by a Beal offer at the deadline, they won’t be in some weird "well we might be competitive this year" pipe dream so maybe they’ll pull the trigger.

I’m all in on winning 27 games this year, landing a bottom 6 record and hopefully (with luck) a top 3 pick, and finding out which young guys are worth developing in the long run.

Posted  by NotPossible!  on Jul 8, 2019 | 4:32 PM

27 wins w/ that roster would be a miracle!

Even 17 might be a stretch…

Posted  by Krusty2  on Jul 8, 2019 | 5:13 PM

There is no room for Parker

Bertans and Miles spread the floor on cheap one season contracts. Rui and Troy Brown aren’t going anywhere. Moritz Wagner is on a rookie contract. Jermerrio Jones does what Parker does not do, play defense, and he is on a cheap contract. I don’t think the Wizards see much of a need for Parker.

Posted  by drknowitall  on Jul 8, 2019 | 4:35 PM

Disagree with this

There is no debating, Jabari Parker, at this point in time, better than every single player you mentioned. Always room to get the best players on the floor, especially when they are still young and relatively cheap.

Posted  by qthaballa  on Jul 8, 2019 | 5:18 PM

Don't agree with letting him go

I for one am sad to see Jabari go and think that this will look like a mistake when we look back on this decision by the Wizards. Just because the team decided to rebuild for this year and to not try to sneak into the playoffs, does not mean that you have to go with older players or younger players – there can be an in-between. He has had nothing but good things to say about the Wiz and seemed to WANT to be here. Why not give the guy a chance on a 2-year deal? You mean to tell me that Ish Smith can get a second year for $6m for a full guarantee but that Jabari can’t?

Parker just turned 24. Yes, there is the risk that he ends up not being an A+ person and teammate and he might not become the complete player that many anticipated when he was drafted. But from what I saw in his (admittedly limited) time in DC was a very talented player who is still on the upswing. Some of the things he has, you cannot teach. His explosiveness and ability to score – and also his willingness and ability to make plays for teammates was very impressive to me. I had hoped he could be the long-term stretch 4 in DC and if not, then he could’ve been the 6th man with the ability to provide instant offense off the bench.

I think the guy has gotten an unfair shake in the NBA thus far. He blew out his knee twice in Milwaukee. Rushed back the second time to try to assist them in making a playoff run. He got very limited time and they lost the first two games so he tried for more time to help his team. His Chicago experience was a mess but his comments were taken out of context and to me, roster construction was a big part of that. He was blamed for them being a dreadful team and was the only one pulled from the rotation – I thought it was extreme. His personality seems quiet and serious, is that why? Maybe I’m making too little of those situations.

When looking at this franchise and what needs to happen, Brad Beal is on the forefront. A few weeks ago we were talking about whether he might accept a 3yr/$111m extension. Here’s what he had to say about Parker towards the end of the year – https://clutchpoints.com/wizards-news-bradley-beal-says-jabari-parker-is-very-versatile-has-enjoyed-playing-with-him/. Seems like he wanted him as a teammate…

Is picking up Ish Smith, CJ Miles, Bertans and some 2nd-round picks going to help convince Beal to stay? Why in the world would he want to be a part of this team next season – he is 26 and the Wiz are punting on one if not more seasons of his prime. I highly doubt his candidacy to make All-NBA and generational money is going to get any easier now with this group. That’s not to mention John Wall returning the following season, is Wall really going to be playing with all youth and inexperience? I’m sure that’ll go phenomenally. I thought Wall and Parker could have played very well together.

At this point, the Wizards have decided that they are prioritizing youth and development. I’m all for that! But it’s not all A or B decisions, and it’s not a one-year reloading process. Another choice could have been for a 24-year old (young!) former #2 overall pick whos value is down right now. With the way this team is put together, I see no reason for them to delay a Beal trade. Look to Denver, Miami, Toronto, the Knicks, whoever. If the choice is to rebuild, don’t half-*** it. With all declining vets and/or players with 2 years or less experience, they are already tanking. Stop with the idea that 20-21 will be a big year bouncing back towards the top of the east – make a franchise-shifting deal and capitalize on Beal’s leverage being what it is. I like Beal and would’ve loved to see him lead a competent group of players but the decision has been made by these actions. Find the best trade and execute it.

Posted  by jahidiwhite  on Jul 8, 2019 | 4:55 PM

jahidiwhite going for the new website moderator position!

Amen

We are wasting Beals career with this lousy team. I dont know who honestly looks worst in the East right now between us and Charlotte.

Posted  by Chicodcmd  on Jul 8, 2019 | 5:14 PM
Something to say?

4 hours ago, atljbo said:

Free agent Jabari Parker reached and agreement with the Atlanta Hawks on a two-year, $13 million deal, league sources tell Yahoo Sports. Player option on second year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1148272258927882250

That’s a damm steal and man we improving our front court. Schlenk is working!!

Black Francis, atljbo and g-dawg like this

8 hours ago, atljbo said:

I like it....Parker can give you buckets off the bench...  A guy that can shoot also as the backup 4

I think this means vice is most likely gone.

Our PF depth went from a weakness to a strength

A 16 ppg player, is he coming off the bench or are we going small ball?

atljbo likes this

2 hours ago, No.11 said:

He's coming off the bench.

Good.  I know they were considering him on the wing last year.  But he seems too large for that.

Our PF rotation will be good for 32-35 ppg.  But defense is a 4-letter word to them boys

I don't get it.  It might be a smart pickup but Spellman had upside.  If parker had defense, it would be a different story.

57 minutes ago, red2play said:

I don't get it.  It might be a smart pickup but Spellman had upside.  If parker had defense, it would be a different story.

They don’t pay me to play defense...:ninja:

59 minutes ago, red2play said:

Hawks trying to build a winning culture and want workers that are trying to get better.   Spellman wasn’t trying and that must have really upset Schlenk & Pierce.

Sometimes you let talent walk for other reasons - this was one of those times.

1 hour ago, red2play said:

I liked Spellman alott... But I think this is the FO using Spellman as an example for this young team to help build the culture.... 

If you are nothe doing what you need to do.... Then you gotta go.

Again I really like spellman... If he gets his weight right... He will be a really good player

jayu70 and ATL Fan in the DMV like this

As long as he is a bench guy im cool with it. Dude is a ball hog to a fault. Hopefully that can be coached out of him.

Just watched parts of some of Jabari's games last season.

He looks like he has his legs under him more now. It would be great if could finally start putting it together and be a really good scorer as a 6th man off the bench for the Hawks.

59 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Hawks trying to build a winning culture and want workers that are trying to get better.   Spellman wasn’t trying and that must have really upset Schlenk & Pierce.

Sometimes you let talent walk for other reasons - this was one of those times.

There’s another angle to this too. 

We just drafted 3 more guys. And right after drafting 3 guys last year.  And we could potentially be drafting 2-3 more next year.  We’re also assuredly going to sign Collins to a hefty contract too.

That’s potentially 2-3 big contracts and 4-5 more decent contracts if we want to keep this core together, which is very much the obvious plan/hope.

Spellman made it easy to make a cost-benefit analysis early judgement call.  And Parker falls off just as we’re needing to re-sign our draft picks.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

If his knees can stay healthy and he can keep his 'chubbiness' in check, he's instant offense off the bench.

Just read ajc article, looks like Spellman ballooned to 293lbs.  THEN showed up fat to the Summer League.  Next Parker is a low pay wait and see player.