UGABOZ

Official HOME RUN DERBY THREAD!

167 posts in this topic

I think the correct way to do the HR derby is to make all the home runs count for something and to make both guys who go 1st and 2nd use their entire time trying.  I see a few solutions to this that would make everyone give maximum effort in the 1st and 2nd round.  You can either let the guy with the most HR's in each of the 1st 2 rounds choose who goes 1st or 2nd in the next round or give him a 3 homerun advantage starting out or a chance to remove the 30 second extra bonus timer.  Leaving 1 of those 3 options up to the guy to choose from. 

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

And they made the Barry Bonds comp which is actually spot on.  Been thinking he looks like a young version of  Barry Bonds while he was at Pitt

They also made a Griffey Jr reference aswell.

I thought Texeria was going to write Acuna a love song.

Falcons In 2012 likes this

32 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

They also made a Griffey Jr reference aswell.

I thought Texeria was going to write Acuna a love song.

I loved when Texiera said “the players down the  first base sideline are in awe of his opposite field power...”

Most guys just trying to pull everything while Acuna is spraying the ball everywhere.  Definitely saw Bonds in his swing today.  It’s compact like Bonds yet has the grace of Griffey Jr

Anyone else think Vlad needs to drop some weight.

Regardless, his rookie debut has been a tad disappointing.

.249 and 8 homers is not what the Jays expected

8 hours ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Anyone else think Vlad needs to drop some weight.

Regardless, his rookie debut has been a tad disappointing.

.249 and 8 homers is not what the Jays expected

I just know after watching the Home Run Derby if I'm an opposing pitcher Vlad gets down and Away breaking stuff

Falcons In 2012 likes this

Acuna came out of the derby looking like a superstar IMO. Other guys used different parts of the field, but Acuna was taking pitches wherever they were thrown and knocking them out of the park. He used all fields. 

Also, I love the new format. The home run derby was never bad, but this new format makes it that much better IMO. 

2 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Acuna came out of the derby looking like a superstar IMO. Other guys used different parts of the field, but Acuna was taking pitches wherever they were thrown and knocking them out of the park. He used all fields. 

Also, I love the new format. The home run derby was never bad, but this new format makes it that much better IMO. 

It was sad when they mentioned the late 80’s derby winner who won with 4 HR’s

13 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I think the correct way to do the HR derby is to make all the home runs count for something and to make both guys who go 1st and 2nd use their entire time trying.  I see a few solutions to this that would make everyone give maximum effort in the 1st and 2nd round.  You can either let the guy with the most HR's in each of the 1st 2 rounds choose who goes 1st or 2nd in the next round or give him a 3 homerun advantage starting out or a chance to remove the 30 second extra bonus timer.  Leaving 1 of those 3 options up to the guy to choose from. 

I think they should go back to the 10 outs format.

29 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

A question for y'all, what happened to Joey Gallo? I thought he was supposed to be in the home run hitting contest yesterday? 

Gallo declined his invite because of his oblique injury in June.

WhenFalconsWin likes this

9 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Gallo declined his invite because of his oblique injury in June.

Thanks...well at least he homered be in the ASG

On 7/9/2019 at 0:29 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

I think they should go back to the 10 outs format.

Never was against that format either that was a nice one and would make you wait for a pitch you liked.  I was just trying to think of something to improve the format they chose yo use lol

This current format is staying. They want as many bombs as quickly as humanly possible. It does take away from being able to fully enjoy the monster shots. I honestly think Acuna will probably not be in another one. You could see how much of a toll it was taking out of him.