UGABOZ

Official HOME RUN DERBY THREAD!

167 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, slickgadawg said:

MLB is doctoring them baseballs. I made a long post in another thread about how its coincidental that the league is promoting baseball in Europe and suddenly, the Yankees and Red Sox combine for the most runs ever in 2 games when they have played each other over there a few days ago...:lol:

Smart move.  MLB’s dirty secret is they loved the players on steroid

Spts1 and Malachore like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LouDog I saw the rule saying that the next pitch isn't supposed to be thrown until the ball lands but you watching Vlad Jr. right now? They're not waiting for the ball to land before the next one is thrown.

Drew4719 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats it for Guerrero.  Big guy put every calorie he had into that first round...:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

@LouDog I saw the rule saying that the next pitch isn't supposed to be thrown until the ball lands but you watching Vlad Jr. right now? They're not waiting for the ball to land before the next one is thrown.

Yeah i think Harper ruined it last year lol nobody has waited for them to land so far this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

bAlLs ArEnT jUiCeD :lol:

We X-Rayed Some MLB Baseballs. Here’s What We Found.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/

MLB and its commissioner, Rob Manfred, have repeatedly denied rumors that the ball has been altered in any way — or “juiced” — to generate more homers. But a large and growing body of research shows that, beginning in the middle of the 2015 season, the MLB baseball began to fly further. And new research commissioned by “ESPN Sport Science,” a show that breaks down the science of sports,1 suggests that MLB baseballs used after the 2015 All-Star Game were subtly but consistently different than older baseballs. The research, performed by the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California and Kent State University’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, reveals changes in the density and chemical composition of the baseball’s core — and provides our first glimpse inside the newer baseballs.

Looking inside the balls and testing their chemical composition revealed that the cores of recent balls were somewhat less dense than the cores of balls used before the 2015 All-Star Game. The newer cores weigh about a half a gram less than the older ones, which might be enough to cause baseballs hit on a typical home run trajectory to fly about 6 inches farther. That alone is hardly enough to explain the home run surge of recent seasons, but when combined with previous research finding that baseballs began to change in other small ways starting around the same time, it suggests that a number of minor differences may have combined to contribute to the remarkable upswing in home run power we’ve witnessed since 2015.

 

ndependent investigations by FiveThirtyEight, publications like The Ringer, and Nathan himself have shown differences in the characteristics of the ball and the way it performs. Research has shown that balls used in games after the 2015 All-Star Game were bouncier and less air resistant compared with baseballs from the 2014 season, when players hit a relatively modest 4,186 homers, the fewest since 1995. (Nathan noted that MLB does not regularly measure air resistance.) Taken together, these changes would result in a ball that would come off the bat at a higher speed and carry farther. While investigations have been able to show that the baseball behaves differently in recent years, no one had looked inside the ball to see if there was evidence of changes to the way the baseball is constructed.

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He better go eat and get some water. And hows he not speak english? His dad played in the mlb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Thats it for Guerrero.  Big guy put every calorie he had into that first round...:lol:

Agreed. He very well be done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

He better go eat and get some water. And hows he not speak english? His dad played in the mlb

**** Sammy Sosa played for almost 2 decades and still had a translater for his interviews.

Edited by LouDog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LouDog said:

**** Sammy Sosa played for almost 2 decades and still had a translater for his interviews.

I worked in a frozen warehouse and shipping dock with a total hispanic crew for a year and learned pretty dang decent spanish. Enough we could communicate on a basic level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chapman never had a chance with that guy throwing to him.  Lord i hope Acunas guy isn't that bad throwing he won't have almost any lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, LouDog said:

**** Sammy Sosa played for almost 2 decades and still had a translater for his interviews.

 

Related image

Edited by slickgadawg
LouDog likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

We X-Rayed Some MLB Baseballs. Here’s What We Found.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/

MLB and its commissioner, Rob Manfred, have repeatedly denied rumors that the ball has been altered in any way — or “juiced” — to generate more homers. But a large and growing body of research shows that, beginning in the middle of the 2015 season, the MLB baseball began to fly further. And new research commissioned by “ESPN Sport Science,” a show that breaks down the science of sports,1 suggests that MLB baseballs used after the 2015 All-Star Game were subtly but consistently different than older baseballs. The research, performed by the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California and Kent State University’s Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, reveals changes in the density and chemical composition of the baseball’s core — and provides our first glimpse inside the newer baseballs.

Looking inside the balls and testing their chemical composition revealed that the cores of recent balls were somewhat less dense than the cores of balls used before the 2015 All-Star Game. The newer cores weigh about a half a gram less than the older ones, which might be enough to cause baseballs hit on a typical home run trajectory to fly about 6 inches farther. That alone is hardly enough to explain the home run surge of recent seasons, but when combined with previous research finding that baseballs began to change in other small ways starting around the same time, it suggests that a number of minor differences may have combined to contribute to the remarkable upswing in home run power we’ve witnessed since 2015.

 

ndependent investigations by FiveThirtyEight, publications like The Ringer, and Nathan himself have shown differences in the characteristics of the ball and the way it performs. Research has shown that balls used in games after the 2015 All-Star Game were bouncier and less air resistant compared with baseballs from the 2014 season, when players hit a relatively modest 4,186 homers, the fewest since 1995. (Nathan noted that MLB does not regularly measure air resistance.) Taken together, these changes would result in a ball that would come off the bat at a higher speed and carry farther. While investigations have been able to show that the baseball behaves differently in recent years, no one had looked inside the ball to see if there was evidence of changes to the way the baseball is constructed.

Yeah I read that but still not buying it.

Just like I'm not buying the whole dark days of the steroid era. MLB ate the crap up until they had to accept responsibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dawggone said:

I worked in a frozen warehouse and shipping dock with a total hispanic crew for a year and learned pretty dang decent spanish. Enough we could communicate on a basic level.

I did electrical work down in florida and half of the staff were mexican and spoke very little English. I taught myself a little bit of spanish. Enough to be on their good side because then i could join them for lunch lmao Crazy how they did lunch. All the white dudes coming back with Micky Ds and KFC. Id be chilling in the driveway of whatever house we were working on with them. They would pull out a little grill with steak/chicken/peppers/onions and homemade tortillas. Like 5 star street tacos everyday in the driveway lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Yeah I read that but still not buying it.

Just like I'm not buying the whole dark days of the steroid era. MLB ate the crap up until they had to accept responsibility. 

You can keep your head in the sand and ignore facts.  You don't believe university scientists.  :lol:

 Brian Jordan came on a Braves pregame show just a few days ago and joked about the balls being juiced...

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

You can keep your head in the sand and ignore facts.  You don't believe university scientists.  :lol:

 Brian Jordan came on a Braves pregame show just a few days ago and joked about the balls being juiced...

Did they physically go to a game and remove a ball?

I believe the people who actually play the game. It's not a coincidence <insert head in sand comment here>.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now