FalconsIn2020

Falcoholic Article:

76 posts in this topic

Parts of Patriots Model we Can Emulate

By JustinCyder17 on Jul 5, 2019, 3:25pm EDT 27 

Let me preface this by saying that replicating the Pats model would require unpopular roster moves. People like Grady likely are allowed to leave in this scenario...

This is just a different perspective, piece.  Let’s discuss the pro’s and con’s intelligently.  Here we go...

People love to hate on the Patriots or label them cheaters. Love em or hate em, you have to appreciate them. Their use of Restricted Free Agency & NLTBE incentives are pure genius. 40 million in NLTBE’s is staggeringly high.

But one additional area in which the Patriots win is roster balance. They let superstars like Solder, Flowers, Chandler & Brown walk without blinking an eye. Why? There are two reasons:

First, Belichick understands the draft is nothing more than educated guesses.  As such, he wants more bites at the apple.  By cleverly placing team options in most contracts, the Patriots simply pick more often in the draft.  Since 2010 the Patriots have made 94 selections in the draft.  As comparison, the Falcons have made 67.

Second reason: Belichick prioritizes dependability over talent. And dependable is cheaper and easier to find.

Consider this: since letting Wilfork walk, the Patriots are bottom 5 every year in DL CAP allocation. As of late, they are also bottom 5 in OL spending. They spend in the secondary, at LB & QB. That’s it. A staggering 11 players in their secondary earn over $1,000,000.

So what’s their key to success? Less star power, more quality players amongst the top 51 contracts.

The Falcons have a solid 28 players set to earn over $1,000,000. That’s 4th best in the NFL. #2 in the NFL has 31 players.

The Patriots have a staggering 44 players set to make over $1,000,000 in 2019. Every year it’s the same thing. This quality depth is a big reason why they win. It’s also why BB makes the tough calls to let Pro Bowl players exit the facility without even offering a contract.

Chess, my friends.

I tried my hand at posting an article over there. Not saying we should let Grady walk, just offering another POV.  If we do intend to sign Grady, we probably should do it before the season since he will likely ball out for 10-12 sacks this year.

As a firm believer the draft is nothing more than a numbers game.....The one thing I wish we did a better job at like the Pats is not fall in love with players by trading away valuable picks to move up. 

Whenever we’ve traded up, it’s come back to bite us. Maybe not for the player we traded up for.....Julio, Tru, Takk at al are obviously great-to-good players....but those trade ups made us reach on later picks such as Lamar Holmes and duke riley. 

10 minutes ago, Vandy said:

As a firm believer the draft is nothing major than a numbers game.....The one thing I wish we did a better job at like the Pats is not fall in love with players by trading away valuable picks to move up. 

Whenever we’ve traded up, it’s come back to bite us. Maybe not for the player we traded up for.....Julio, Tru, Takk at al are obviously great-to-good players....but those trade ups made us reach on later picks such as Lamar Holmes and duke riley. 

I agree. The only player I think was a smart move to trade up for was Julio. It was close to certainty that he would be a superstar. And I also agree with the “falling in love” with players mentality. That is something the Patriots do that is very smart. 

But, I honestly hate when people write articles about why teams don’t do things the “Patriot way.” It’s literally so much easier said than done. The Patriots do things the way they do because Brady and Belichick are invincible. And when you’re invincible, you can take risks. Also, Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time. There is nobody in this league that has the abilities that he has. Those 2 things alone are why the “Patriot Way” is a myth and not an actual way of running an organization. 

The Patriots organization is an outlier, not the rule

falconidae, Chaz, mqg96 and 4 others like this

13 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I agree. The only player I think was a smart move to trade up for was Julio. It was close to certainty that he would be a superstar. And I also agree with the “falling in love” with players mentality. That is something the Patriots do that is very smart. 

But, I honestly hate when people write articles about why teams don’t do things the “Patriot way.” It’s literally so much easier said than done. The Patriots do things the way they do because Brady and Belichick are invincible. And when you’re invincible, you can take risks. Also, Belichick is the greatest head coach of all time. There is nobody in this league that has the abilities that he has. Those 2 things alone are why the “Patriot Way” is a myth and not an actual way of running an organization. 

True. We have both a good Coach and a great QB....but they aren’t Belichick and Brady.

PokerSteve, mqg96, Chaz and 2 others like this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

True. We have a both a good Coach and a great QB....but they aren’t Belichick and Brady.

Nobody is. Wilson and Carroll are probably the closest thing and they still aren’t close.

mqg96, Vandy and Stryka like this

I don’t even like to use Grady in this scenario because the Pats have paid interior DL, what they won’t do is pay a WR. The Patriot way would be to let Julio play out his deal or trade him not give him more money . They’d extend Grady before extending a 30+ year old WR . Most here would hate that but most here love the Patriots resume . Go figure . 

I wonder if this article was Julio & not Grady would it have been posted ? I’d bet my bottom dollar it wouldn’t . 

vitaman likes this

7 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I don’t even like to use Grady in this scenario because the Pats have paid interior DL, what they won’t do is pay a WR. The Patriot way would be to let Julio play out his deal or trade him not give him more money . They’d extend Grady before extending a 30+ year old WR . Most here would hate that but most here love the Patriots resume . Go figure . 

I wonder if this article was Julio & not Grady would it have been posted ? I’d bet my bottom dollar it wouldn’t . 

30 year old randy moss with Pats...

98/1500/23 TDs....

I know, he wasn’t paid anything close to what Julio is . But I’m not so sure BB wouldn’t find a way to keep a talented team player like Julio still playing at an exceptional high level around....

Tim Mazetti likes this

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Vandy said:

98/1500/23 TDs....

I know, he wasn’t paid anything close to what Julio is . But I’m not so sure BB wouldn’t find a way to keep a talented team player like Julio still playing at an exceptional high level around....

I’m sure BB waits until elite or good WR/any other none QB position are available(usually later in their careers, in the last year of their contract or other disarray where he can get them for cheap)  & then he uses them for a spell & then sends them up the creek . 

Moss, Cooks, Gordon .. all for pennies on the dollar . 

Edited by GeorgiaBoyz
Vandy and vitaman like this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

As a firm believer the draft is nothing major than a numbers game.....The one thing I wish we did a better job at like the Pats is not fall in love with players by trading away valuable picks to move up. 

Well said.  The fact NE has made 25 or more selections than us since 2008 is staggering.  That’s 3 full drafts.  You don’t have to hit on every pick in this scenerio

2 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Since letting Wilfork walk the Patriots don’t pay their DL

2018: 18 mill on their DL

2017:  12 mill on their DL

2016:  9 mill on their DL

2015:  8 mill on their DL

1 hour ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

I’m sure BB waits until elite or good WR/any other none QB position are available(usually later in their careers, in the last year of their contract or other disarray where he can get them for cheap)  & then he uses them for a spell & then sends them up the creek . 

Moss, Cooks, Gordon .. all for pennies on the dollar . 

Poaching WRers from other teams definitely become part of his strategy, if no other reason than by necessity. Overall, he hasn’t done a very good job drafting them. 

Maybe the Arizona State kid will work out. 

FalconsIn2020 and Tim Mazetti like this

15 minutes ago, FalconsIn2020 said:

Since letting Wilfork walk the Patriots don’t pay their DL

2018: 18 mill on their DL

2017:  12 mill on their DL

2016:  9 mill on their DL

2015:  8 mill on their DL

This is true but I said DT . They haven’t had a really good one since Wilfork . 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Poaching WRers from other teams definitely become part of his strategy, if no other reason than by necessity. Overall, he hasn’t done a very good job drafting them. 

Maybe the Arizona State kid will work out. 

That’s a good point but to be honest they don’t really press the issue outside of what I already said referring to how they get their quality WRs . Outside of this year I can’t remember them drafting a WR high but to their credit it’s not needed . They have the goat QB, always a good OL, a RB for every situation, the defense is always solid for the most part & their HC is the goat so their is no need to go hard after WRs . Plus they had Gronk .. this year will tell the tale but with BB I’m sure they’ll be just fine without a elite WR or Gronk because of what I already listed & they have before Gronk . Good QB, HC & OL with a decent D will take you along way . Hard to replicate those 4 year end & year out .. they have since 2003.  

FalconsIn2020 and Vandy like this

14 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

That’s a good point but to be honest they don’t really press the issue outside of what I already said referring to how they get their quality WRs . Outside of this year I can’t remember them drafting a WR high but to their credit it’s not needed . They have the goat QB, always a good OL, a RB for every situation, the defense is always solid for the most part & their HC is the goat so their is no need to go hard after WRs . Plus they had Gronk .. this year will tell the tale but with BB I’m sure they’ll be just fine without a elite WR or Gronk because of what I already listed & they have before Gronk . Good QB, HC & OL with a decent D will take you along way . Hard to replicate those 4 year end & year out .. they have since 2003.  

They stress the defense horizontally rather than vertically.  This protects Brady & the OL by getting the ball out quickly.  Also makes them deadly when they attack the seams with their TE’s and slot receiver.  I’m stunned more teams don’t emulate this.  Saints started moving to this model in 2017

3 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Congrats on the blue.  You and VT will do well.  I guess it’s public now

This.

Ive always believed you take the best pieces and make your own way.The idea that you carbon copy the Patriots model and you win is a false economy.Its like trying to beat them at there game they’ve mastered. You got next too no chance.

Vandy, vitaman and Godzilla1985 like this

29 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

This is true but I said DT . They haven’t had a really good one since Wilfork . 

They started getting quality players that did the same thing Wilfork did. They were huge guys too. They keep about 2-3 guys that weigh around  320-345 pounds in their 3-4 at DT/DE to stop the run on early downs and then apply crazy pressure packages on third downs. 

PokerSteve likes this

To counter, there are certain things the Patriots do that can be replicated.

Their use of player options to build up comp picks is something any team can do.  Don’t trade draft capital to move up.  Those two things would be huge for the Falcons.

With how good we draft, imagine us with two second round picks and two 3rd round picks for two straight years like the Patriots.  Just the last two years we have made 13 selections, they have made 19.

By letting Solder, Brown & Flowers walk and replacing them with two rookies, they will end up with three 3rd round picks and still have Wynn at LT.  It’s just being smart and planning ahead.  

You cant replicate Belichick.  But everything else is easily followed.

Vandy, camfalcon and egoprime II like this

4 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

They started getting quality players that did the same thing Wilfork did. They were huge guys too. They keep about 2-3 guys that weigh around  320-345 pounds in their 3-4 at DT/DE to stop the run on early downs and then apply crazy pressure packages on third downs. 

They actually moved off the 3-4 and are a 4-3 under like us in base.  

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

This.

Ive always believed you take the best pieces and make your own way.The idea that you carbon copy the Patriots model and you win is a false economy.Its like trying to beat them at there game they’ve mastered. You got next too no chance.

Exactly right. Which is why I’m a firm believer in hanging onto Grady. You hang on to your best players. And yes @FalconsIn2020, even it’s 18 mil a year. 

7 hours ago, Vandy said:

98/1500/23 TDs....

The fact Bill was trying to bring OBJ aboard mid season tells you he’d pay it in today’s market.  He has been trying to find a vertical threat for a few years.  Guess he opted to draft one.

But Julio would be on the Patriots roster if it were up to Belichick

Vandy likes this

9 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Exactly right. Which is why I’m a firm believer in hanging onto Grady. You hang on to your best players. And yes @FalconsIn2020, even it’s 18 mil a year. 

I don’t disagree...as stated in the article, it is just a talking point for a different POV.

I do think they should get it done because I have a feeling his value will be in the 22 mill range a year from now.

Or they can play a hardcore game and TAG him again for 18 million next year.  

12 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

This.

This is both true and false.

Building a team option into every FA contract is just smart practice.  You’re not copying the Patriots.  You’re simply  taking advantage of a loophole to build up compensatory picks.

In a similar vein, letting the draft fall to you rather than trading draft capital is simply wise strategy.

Would you not agree this FO has proven to be better than the Patriots at drafting for their scheme?  I do. I actually think we draft better than every team in the NFL.  As such, the last thing we should ever do is waste draft capital.  The opposite seems more prudent.

Since 2008 here are some of the guys we have drafted in 2nd/3rd Round:

Lofton, DeCoud, Douglas’s, Willy-Mo, Peters, Alford, Coleman, Jones, Hooper, Oliver, Senat.

I want more picks in this area, not less because we fell in love with player X.