UGA-Georgia-Related-News

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

D'Wan Mathis gets clearance to participate fully.... https://uga.rivals.com/news/d-wan-mathis-gets-clearance-to-play?fbclid=IwAR3BOqCVe9fbKRX1iYGQEwuFHr0IK09mR3lfQMrNLfgU-W7DaI4m1idd9ms

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Posted Images

On 1/8/2021 at 9:57 PM, GAbred said:

Why would Daniel and Webb return? Their seniors. Probably have their degree or very close. It's not like they are going to get much better at Georgia (imo). I think they take there shot and if it doesn't work move on with life. Can't play forever. Why take more hits for free? 

We will disagree regarding them not improving if they come back.. Webb converted to a db after he got to UGA and has only been a db in our system for a few years and could improve his draft stock if he returns.  webb only played in 7 games due to injury and is still learning to play db.  dj also will get a lot more playing time if he returns and can also improve his draft stock.  DJ only played 4 games this year as well due to injury.. not even close to a good enough sample size for nfl teams to make a decision on him.  They have every right to leave and it's their decision of course, but some make more sense then others.. i hope they do make it in the nfl.  

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

We will disagree regarding them not improving if they come back.. Webb converted to a db after he got to UGA and has only been a db in our system for a few years and could improve his draft stock if he returns.  webb only played in 7 games due to injury and is still learning to play db.  dj also will get a lot more playing time if he returns and can also improve his draft stock.  DJ only played 4 games this year as well due to injury.. not even close to a good enough sample size for nfl teams to make a decision on him.  They have every right to leave and it's their decision of course, but some make more sense then others.. i hope they do make it in the nfl.  

I hope they make it as well. 

I don't know why they left. Lots of reasons to stay, and lots to go. 

Wow

SoFl_Dawg

SoFl_Dawg

Administrator
So a couple of disclaimers right up front:

1. TS7, we wish you well at Miami. He is a good kid, but I think he’s wrong here.
2. Our team got worse today.
3. This has everything to do with TS7, no one else. This isn’t about just being closer to home; **** his momma was the one who wanted him out of Miami in the first place because of the distractions.

Bottom line up front as to why TS7 left:

1. Immaturity and lack of being of a professional student athlete.

2. He couldn’t handle the tough coaching that Kirby gives his supremely talented DBs and checked out/tuned out staff at times.

3. He blames others for his on field failures, has a lack of personal accountability, and felt he was best suited to be an outside CB. He’s wrong but that’s his thoughts.

We first began to hear the rumblings of the discontent during camp, ~ scrimmage 3. For starters, TS7 came out of the Covid quarantine half a cheeseburger away from being a small LB, he was working uphill from there. There were several who showed up out of shape, but TS7 was previously designated to play the toughest spot on our defense. Expectations for him were high and he was coached hard. It was clear that he didn’t attack his summer workouts the way that he should’ve and his performances, especially early on, suffered; they suffered all year but he was really bad early on. During the former player viewing scrimmage, I vividly recall Kirby on the megaphone completely undressing TS7 for blowing coverages on two consecutive snaps. He didn’t know what to do, and didn’t have his athleticism to turn and run like he could as a true freshman. It was colorful language by Kirby but nothing that was personal that would demoralize a player. That said, sure theres an opportunity for Kirby to grow and realize that every player isn’t RL2 and can’t handle the special attention that Kirby is capable of giving. However, its hard to fault Kirby in this situation, considering the expectations...the camp moment is the spark that caused all of this IMO. TS7 began to talk out loud in camp about not wanting to be in Athens any longer. Circling back here in a second.

TS7 is an incredible talent. Those that came over from DN may recall how I felt about him coming into the program. I still think he was our best on the ball defender, playing within the WR’s hip pocket, and making plays on the ball. He was playing the toughest position within our defense and he did not put himself in the best position to be successful. He showed up out of shape, and then started to tell others he felt more comfortable playing outside vs. being the nickel CB. He used playing the STAR position as the reasoning for his struggles. His failures this season were the result of staff decisions, not his own doing. Which CB would he had played in front of though? Both are early day 2 picks at worst. Keep in mind, he finished his freshman campaign playing the same position at a high level, leading to the high expectations staff had for him; what was different year 1 vs. 2? TS7 even contributed to Divaad leaving as he didn’t want to play S and that’s how he would get on the field with TS7. So now we have a kid that’s fighting to get in shape and also feels that he’s being penalized for playing inside vs. outside, even though he’s a starter. The reality that he failed to embrace is that he gave our team the best chance to win inside regardless of what his personal opinion was. He got at least 50% of the snaps at the position and started majority of the year over a player that had a 2 year head start (Webb).

As has been mentioned on this board several times, as our team struggled, frustrations began to grow within the team. TS7 was one of the players that got called out by other teammates and had the personal meeting with Jonas and coaching staff. Feedback I heard was consistently, “F this & that”, “I don’t have to be here”, yada yada. TS7 complained about how hard he was being coached and I heard Kirby, Warren, and Lanning modified their approaches with several players following the meetings mediated by Jonas. TS7’s play didn’t drastically improve after that modification, so was it really that? Then we started to hear the U noise around week 5, post loss to bama. TS7 was beat like a drum that game, but several were. He simply didn’t respond to the adversity like our other defenders did. Again he blamed playing inside on the failure. I have yet to hear anything on TS7 taking personal accountability for his performances this year. He told several that when we recruited him, he was an outside CB, but that doesn’t align to the chatter we were hearing in 2019. TS7 was the first defender compared to Minkah at UGA and Minkah didn’t play outside. I’m not sure where the disconnect was there. Speculation=TS7 began to envision himself elsewhere, and since he wasn’t fully mentally here, he didn’t attack this the way he did last year and his performances suffered. Fresh start needed.

Fast forward to bowl prep. Mark Webb & Stokes initially opt out, RL2 unlikely to play. Staff makes the decision to give Jalen Kimber the start opposite of TC3. TS7 throws a pouty child fit about how he should get the start at outside CB due to his tenure within the program. Again, the transfer chatter resurfaces “that’s why I’m leaving this **************” to his teammates. Staff gets Webb to opt back in (he got injured and didn’t play) and TS7 gets the start outside. This is 100% an attempt to pacify the player and I can’t be convinced otherwise. Due to the game being as close as it was, Kimber did not play (kudos to him for keeping his head right throughout; great kid & family too). It’s clear in my mind that this year that staff bent over backwards to pacify a lot of these guys in an attempt to keep them engaged; my guess is they’re sensitive to everything going on externally and gave the kids the benefit of the doubt. TS7 didn’t play well in the bowl game. Even the play of the game was a recovery; blown assignment by him. It’s proof positive he’s not best served as a traditional CB. I don’t think he’s quick enough out there at his current weight. I’ve heard staff feels the same way.  

TS7 finished the season and I commend him for that. He could’ve quit, or opted out at the mid point. Staff stuck with him after he reported heavy, struggled early, & modified their approaches. It wasn’t good enough. If a kid doesn’t want to be here, let them go. It’s cancerous behavior and that’s my personal opinion. Maybe he’ll find that joy he had in year 1, rejuvenated in Miami, but there’s a reason his momma wanted him outside of Dade county. I personally feel like this could go badly for him, but every man has to walk his own path. He still has early draft talent if he can get it together and regain his form from last year.

Good luck to him.

52 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Good riddance to TS7. We don't need these divas. Players like that are what hurts us the most the past 2 years. 

The above detailed account of scenario doesn't point to a brighter future for him...  but perhaps he'll turn over a new leaf somehow and get right. Best Wishes to the young man, but I wouldn't bet two-bits on it working out well.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:04 AM, SacFalcFan said:

I know of a handful of guys and Rusty mansell said the same thing on 247 that I heard was in person Zeus was the best back they have seen in decades.. Zeus was that good in high school and after two acl tears he might never be that great again, but who knows.. I know it takes a few years before a back is truly back to previous form.. I agree with you regarding the bowl game.. He showed even more improvement.. I think Zeus this year will be even better and he will get back some of the explosiveness he has in high school.. I think it's a no brainer for him to return and a big reason is he will be sharing carries with guys like milton, kmac, and cook and thus the wear and tear on his body won't be like it is for other backs.  

I said it before Zeus ever committed to us that he had some of the best high school RB film I had personally seen since Reggie Bush. Just nasty. Najee Harris was the can’t miss 5 star the year before and I honestly thought Zeus film was more impressive. Harris was very meh through his junior year but of course showed out as a special RB his final year at Bama. I think Zeus is in line for the same at UGA.

Those ACL tears are huge and I think everyone would understand if he decided to go for NFL money while he has the ability to play at a high level now and those knees should continue to get better as well. But he also has a ton of potential to help the team and move up draft boards by returning, not to mention graduating and what that means by itself beyond a football career.

Nowadays it seems the 2nd and 3rd years after ACL repair are when a player typically gets back to form if they are going to. We certainly have seen that with Chubb, who I spoke up for when some folks said he had lost it and wouldn’t get it back. It takes some time. These guys are humans lol. The key observation imo is do they show improvement back toward explosiveness. Chubb showed that improvement ahead of coming back for his senior year. I think Zeus has shown that improvement as well and should be a lot closer to his true form next year whether that’s in the NFL or at UGA.

Can never begrudge Zeus if he takes his opportunity now but I definitely want him to come back. 

7 hours ago, 95Dawg said:

Wow

SoFl_Dawg

SoFl_Dawg

Administrator
So a couple of disclaimers right up front:

1. TS7, we wish you well at Miami. He is a good kid, but I think he’s wrong here.
2. Our team got worse today.
3. This has everything to do with TS7, no one else. This isn’t about just being closer to home; **** his momma was the one who wanted him out of Miami in the first place because of the distractions.

Bottom line up front as to why TS7 left:

1. Immaturity and lack of being of a professional student athlete.

2. He couldn’t handle the tough coaching that Kirby gives his supremely talented DBs and checked out/tuned out staff at times.

3. He blames others for his on field failures, has a lack of personal accountability, and felt he was best suited to be an outside CB. He’s wrong but that’s his thoughts.

We first began to hear the rumblings of the discontent during camp, ~ scrimmage 3. For starters, TS7 came out of the Covid quarantine half a cheeseburger away from being a small LB, he was working uphill from there. There were several who showed up out of shape, but TS7 was previously designated to play the toughest spot on our defense. Expectations for him were high and he was coached hard. It was clear that he didn’t attack his summer workouts the way that he should’ve and his performances, especially early on, suffered; they suffered all year but he was really bad early on. During the former player viewing scrimmage, I vividly recall Kirby on the megaphone completely undressing TS7 for blowing coverages on two consecutive snaps. He didn’t know what to do, and didn’t have his athleticism to turn and run like he could as a true freshman. It was colorful language by Kirby but nothing that was personal that would demoralize a player. That said, sure theres an opportunity for Kirby to grow and realize that every player isn’t RL2 and can’t handle the special attention that Kirby is capable of giving. However, its hard to fault Kirby in this situation, considering the expectations...the camp moment is the spark that caused all of this IMO. TS7 began to talk out loud in camp about not wanting to be in Athens any longer. Circling back here in a second.

TS7 is an incredible talent. Those that came over from DN may recall how I felt about him coming into the program. I still think he was our best on the ball defender, playing within the WR’s hip pocket, and making plays on the ball. He was playing the toughest position within our defense and he did not put himself in the best position to be successful. He showed up out of shape, and then started to tell others he felt more comfortable playing outside vs. being the nickel CB. He used playing the STAR position as the reasoning for his struggles. His failures this season were the result of staff decisions, not his own doing. Which CB would he had played in front of though? Both are early day 2 picks at worst. Keep in mind, he finished his freshman campaign playing the same position at a high level, leading to the high expectations staff had for him; what was different year 1 vs. 2? TS7 even contributed to Divaad leaving as he didn’t want to play S and that’s how he would get on the field with TS7. So now we have a kid that’s fighting to get in shape and also feels that he’s being penalized for playing inside vs. outside, even though he’s a starter. The reality that he failed to embrace is that he gave our team the best chance to win inside regardless of what his personal opinion was. He got at least 50% of the snaps at the position and started majority of the year over a player that had a 2 year head start (Webb).

As has been mentioned on this board several times, as our team struggled, frustrations began to grow within the team. TS7 was one of the players that got called out by other teammates and had the personal meeting with Jonas and coaching staff. Feedback I heard was consistently, “F this & that”, “I don’t have to be here”, yada yada. TS7 complained about how hard he was being coached and I heard Kirby, Warren, and Lanning modified their approaches with several players following the meetings mediated by Jonas. TS7’s play didn’t drastically improve after that modification, so was it really that? Then we started to hear the U noise around week 5, post loss to bama. TS7 was beat like a drum that game, but several were. He simply didn’t respond to the adversity like our other defenders did. Again he blamed playing inside on the failure. I have yet to hear anything on TS7 taking personal accountability for his performances this year. He told several that when we recruited him, he was an outside CB, but that doesn’t align to the chatter we were hearing in 2019. TS7 was the first defender compared to Minkah at UGA and Minkah didn’t play outside. I’m not sure where the disconnect was there. Speculation=TS7 began to envision himself elsewhere, and since he wasn’t fully mentally here, he didn’t attack this the way he did last year and his performances suffered. Fresh start needed.

Fast forward to bowl prep. Mark Webb & Stokes initially opt out, RL2 unlikely to play. Staff makes the decision to give Jalen Kimber the start opposite of TC3. TS7 throws a pouty child fit about how he should get the start at outside CB due to his tenure within the program. Again, the transfer chatter resurfaces “that’s why I’m leaving this **************” to his teammates. Staff gets Webb to opt back in (he got injured and didn’t play) and TS7 gets the start outside. This is 100% an attempt to pacify the player and I can’t be convinced otherwise. Due to the game being as close as it was, Kimber did not play (kudos to him for keeping his head right throughout; great kid & family too). It’s clear in my mind that this year that staff bent over backwards to pacify a lot of these guys in an attempt to keep them engaged; my guess is they’re sensitive to everything going on externally and gave the kids the benefit of the doubt. TS7 didn’t play well in the bowl game. Even the play of the game was a recovery; blown assignment by him. It’s proof positive he’s not best served as a traditional CB. I don’t think he’s quick enough out there at his current weight. I’ve heard staff feels the same way.  

TS7 finished the season and I commend him for that. He could’ve quit, or opted out at the mid point. Staff stuck with him after he reported heavy, struggled early, & modified their approaches. It wasn’t good enough. If a kid doesn’t want to be here, let them go. It’s cancerous behavior and that’s my personal opinion. Maybe he’ll find that joy he had in year 1, rejuvenated in Miami, but there’s a reason his momma wanted him outside of Dade county. I personally feel like this could go badly for him, but every man has to walk his own path. He still has early draft talent if he can get it together and regain his form from last year.

Good luck to him.

It was no secret Stevenson wanted to play boundary corner and was upset he wasn't able to do that this year.  Stevenson was part of a group of players who midyear were closed to quitting but Jonas helped to defuse the situation.  It is unfortunate stevenson decided to leave but it is what it is.  I just wish he would have done it last year and Wilson would have stayed.  Oh well.  

35 minutes ago, richham said:

It seems like the Dawgs deal with this kind of stuff more than most programs. At least from the outside looking in.

Seems so last few years, but realistically the talent level coming out of high school at UGA is above that of every program outside of Alabama and Ohio State. I believe its just a matter of the individuals being accustomed to being stars and many can't let go of the star mentality when they realize the teammates around them are similarly talented; in many cases more so because they may possess more mental acuity for the game, a more tenacious spirit, stronger willingness to be a team player, etc.  Alabama has had some of the issues also, just to a lesser degree, and the benefit of many many years under Saban where when you arrive you already know it 'must be earned'..  the cupboard is full.  At UGA we are just now coming through the first cycle of full cupboard in the secondary where many were young without excessive talent and leadership in front of them upon arrival; just a different dynamic.

Throw in the emergence of the Portal last couple years and how it is handled and different ballgame for these young men.

7 minutes ago, PapaJoe said:

Seems so last few years, but realistically the talent level coming out of high school at UGA is above that of every program outside of Alabama and Ohio State. I believe its just a matter of the individuals being accustomed to being stars and many can't let go of the star mentality when they realize the teammates around them are similarly talented; in many cases more so because they may possess more mental acuity for the game, a more tenacious spirit, stronger willingness to be a team player, etc.  Alabama has had some of the issues also, just to a lesser degree, and the benefit of many many years under Saban where when you arrive you already know it 'must be earned'..  the cupboard is full.  At UGA we are just now coming through the first cycle of full cupboard in the secondary where many were young without excessive talent and leadership in front of them upon arrival; just a different dynamic.

Throw in the emergence of the Portal last couple years and how it is handled and different ballgame for these young men.

Alabama has lost their top player in back to back classes and other players as well.. People forget when saban first got to Alabama for the first 5 plus years they had double digit guys leave yearly who didn't pan out.  That is how Nick saban built that depth.  he would oversign and run off guys who didn't perform early on that he knew were evaluation mistakes.  There was a yearly countdown to bama and the guys they would lose.  Kirby is just in his 5th year as being a head coach.  Kirby has recruited so many highly ranked kids and some are teachable and willing to play on a team and some aren't.  Those that aren't won't stay long due to how this staff coaches them.  You can evaluate all you want, but until you get a kid on campus you won't know truly if they are a great match and will work within a team environment.  The portal has also changed a lot of stuff as you said it's a different ballgame.. Now kids don't have to stick it out and fight through stuff, they can just run away.  

25 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Alabama has lost their top player in back to back classes and other players as well.. People forget when saban first got to Alabama for the first 5 plus years they had double digit guys leave yearly who didn't pan out.  That is how Nick saban built that depth.  he would oversign and run off guys who didn't perform early on that he knew were evaluation mistakes.  There was a yearly countdown to bama and the guys they would lose.  Kirby is just in his 5th year as being a head coach.  Kirby has recruited so many highly ranked kids and some are teachable and willing to play on a team and some aren't.  Those that aren't won't stay long due to how this staff coaches them.  You can evaluate all you want, but until you get a kid on campus you won't know truly if they are a great match and will work within a team environment.  The portal has also changed a lot of stuff as you said it's a different ballgame.. Now kids don't have to stick it out and fight through stuff, they can just run away.  

wow, it seems Kirby has been our head coach longer than 5 years. I know his best coaching days are still ahead of him, just so ready to win a natty. 

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

Yep - they just run away from the first sign of adversity.  They have always been told how great they are and when things don’t go their way, they take their ball and go home.

Yeah.. a lot of these players are big men in their school and area and then they come to a college program and they you have de-recruit them.. the recruiting process is also feeding into their ego.  some guys respond better to the de-recruiting then others do.. with the portal now a player doesn't need to fight through that adversity.  they can just leave.  i think it does a disservice to players because they don't learn to fight for something and stick it out.. life isn't easy once they get out in the real world and you have to fight through so much adversity.  You can't take the easy way out.  

2 hours ago, joefalco said:

wow, it seems Kirby has been our head coach longer than 5 years. I know his best coaching days are still ahead of him, just so ready to win a natty. 

To put this in perspective nick saban coached from 1973 through 1989 before he became a head coach at toledo.  then went to the nfl and came back to be head coach for 5 years at michigan state, 5 years at lsu, 2 years at miami and then alabama.. so saban was a head coach for 13 years before he came to alabama and was a coach in some capacity since 1973.. Kirby is just in his 5th year period as a head coach.. he is going to improve and he is continually learning..  i think people don't understand that as with any bigtime job there is a learning curve.. Kirby is so young as a head coach that he will only get better.. kirby thought is going to have to learn the hard way at times, but he will learn.  

32 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yeah.. a lot of these players are big men in their school and area and then they come to a college program and they you have de-recruit them.. the recruiting process is also feeding into their ego.  some guys respond better to the de-recruiting then others do.. with the portal now a player doesn't need to fight through that adversity.  they can just leave.  i think it does a disservice to players because they don't learn to fight for something and stick it out.. life isn't easy once they get out in the real world and you have to fight through so much adversity.  You can't take the easy way out.  

And on top of that, the NCAA playing dictator on who is entitled to be immediately eligible and who isn’t, it’s just not a well thought out plan. 

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

My worry with some of these young men is that in life you have to learn to overcome challenges and adversity.  I believe that while it's against their WANTS and WISHES but that most of these young men NEED to learn how to overcome adversity.  Life is going to constantly throw curveballs at you and if you do not learn how to adjust and defeat it then it will defeat you and you will not become what you could.  They are leaving more potential in the bag that they don't even know about.

They will have moments when there is no where or way to run.  Will they have the skills, ability or confidence to face those moments head on?

The kids should have to wait two years before a no penalty transfer. There is so much change that first year out of high school for everyone. Dealing with change and working through it is a healthy part of becoming an adult. Plus you should have some consequence for the decision to go to a school. 

Giving players more rights is a good thing, but is the way there being implemented the best? 

On 1/12/2021 at 8:36 AM, SacFalcFan said:

To put this in perspective nick saban coached from 1973 through 1989 before he became a head coach at toledo.  then went to the nfl and came back to be head coach for 5 years at michigan state, 5 years at lsu, 2 years at miami and then alabama.. so saban was a head coach for 13 years before he came to alabama and was a coach in some capacity since 1973.. Kirby is just in his 5th year period as a head coach.. he is going to improve and he is continually learning..  i think people don't understand that as with any bigtime job there is a learning curve.. Kirby is so young as a head coach that he will only get better.. kirby thought is going to have to learn the hard way at times, but he will learn.  

Needs to improve on his QB choices...