UGA-Georgia-Related-News

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

It's probably also a good time to point out we are about to have a lot of existing players depart our roster in the transfer portal. And more importantly not to freak out about it and start claiming the sky is falling with every new player to enter the portal. 

The staff knows it's coming; there could be up to 14 more players hit the portal over the next month, and a lot of them will be coming very shortly because we need those roster spots to be able to get our 14 to 16 early enrollee recruits in Athens within the next few weeks. 

Most of the kids transferring out will be players that are buried on the depth chart and looking for opportunities to play elsewhere. There will also be several contributors leave that are looking for more snaps too. Think of Jermaine Johnson as an example. That OLB room is just too deep with quality players, and he might not be the only one that leaves from that room. 

Other teams and fans will look at these upcoming departures and try to claim it's rats deserting a sinking ship or something similar. That is not the case, so don't buy into that narrative. Some of these guys have legitimate complaints about playing time or lack of opportunities, and that is a symptom of us recruiting at such a high level. But most of these guys will be players that never met their potential and need to move on to greener pastures. 

We both know our fan base, rival fan bases, and the media is going to spin this as something horrible regarding UGA.. The reality is Kirby knows how to manage his roster and the staff knows who will and will not contribute in the future.  Guys are going to leave because they don't see playing time and our staff will do what all staffs do and give an honest evaluation to each player.  I think being honest on where a player sits on the depth chart is the right way to handle it.  

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

D'Wan Mathis gets clearance to participate fully.... https://uga.rivals.com/news/d-wan-mathis-gets-clearance-to-play?fbclid=IwAR3BOqCVe9fbKRX1iYGQEwuFHr0IK09mR3lfQMrNLfgU-W7DaI4m1idd9ms

They're gonna be so surprised when we put up ~42 ppg.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, 95Dawg said:

Think he's played some banged up and wants to get healthy

Yep. McKitty leaving may also be a Kirby/team preference as they're still trying to manage DW and prevent transfer portal concerns there. As far as DJ Daniels goes, if he's gone next year anyway, I think I'd rather see what one of the youngsters offers us in the bowl game and get them the extra practices/snaps. At a minimum it lets Kirby know how hard he's got to plan around the position and/or hit the recruiting trail/transfer portal for additions. Once we lost to UF, a lot of mental calculus likely had to change around ensuring the team is setup for success going forward.

Our defense is going to be less than great next season, unfortunately. The greatest predictor of defensive success is the amount of experience returning in your secondary. And we are going to be absolutely gutted. We are losing our top 3 CB's in Campbell, Stokes, and Daniel, and also losing our defensive leader in Richie. 

Yes, we have a lot of talent at those positions, but it's young and inexperienced. And experience is what matters more at DB. Especially against the pass happy teams that are in vogue now.  

3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Our defense is going to be less than great next season, unfortunately. The greatest predictor of defensive success is the amount of experience returning in your secondary. And we are going to be absolutely gutted. We are losing our top 3 CB's in Campbell, Stokes, and Daniel, and also losing our defensive leader in Richie. 

Yes, we have a lot of talent at those positions, but it's young and inexperienced. And experience is what matters more at DB. Especially against the pass happy teams that are in vogue now.  

agree..  game 1 is clemson so we our guys are going to need to be ready.. lawrence's backup is really going to be something...   kirby knows that and i can see him bringing in a few dbs options via the portal..  ringo missing the entire year was a punch in the gut.  we really needed him to play for that experience.  right now what do you think our rotation will be?  I am looking at it and other than Cine it's up in the air. 

Who knows at this point. Depends on who stays and who they can bring in through the portal, if anyone. Losing Nugget Warren was a huge deal because most had him projected as a day 1 starter at one of the CB spots with Ringo/Kimber battling it out for the other. 

I could honestly see Speed locking down a starting CB spot early in the season based primarily on amount of time in the program and being an upperclassman. 

Stevenson is a wild card. Could either be a starting CB or starting S next year. 

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Who knows at this point. Depends on who stays and who they can bring in through the portal, if anyone. Losing Nugget Warren was a huge deal because most had him projected as a day 1 starter at one of the CB spots with Ringo/Kimber battling it out for the other. 

I could honestly see Speed locking down a starting CB spot early in the season based primarily on amount of time in the program and being an upperclassman. 

Stevenson is a wild card. Could either be a starting CB or starting S next year. 

We will see where guys line up for the bowl game since pretty much all of our dbs are opting out.  We might have to win a shootout with clemson game 1, but we have enough offensive talent to compete with them.  obviously for the bowl game it will be kimber and speed at boundary db and stevenson at the star spot.  then we have smith and cine at safety..  not a lot after that.. 

On 12/19/2020 at 11:56 AM, SacFalcFan said:

We will see where guys line up for the bowl game since pretty much all of our dbs are opting out.  We might have to win a shootout with clemson game 1, but we have enough offensive talent to compete with them.  obviously for the bowl game it will be kimber and speed at boundary db and stevenson at the star spot.  then we have smith and cine at safety..  not a lot after that.. 

What about Brini? I don't see enough to really say how good he is but I know I had to look him up when I saw the number a few times during the last game

16 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Glad Wyatt is coming back and surprised to see that Rusty said that as of right now, Davis is leaning toward coming back.

Possibly Tyson Campbell and Zeus coming back as well. Although I would rather see Zeus go ahead and start collecting that NFL money; partially because he's a DGD and earned it with his injury history, but also because I'd like to see more of Cook, Milton, and Kenny Mac. 

2 hours ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Jermaine Johnson transferred to Florida State

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/jermaine-johnson-georgia-football-florida-state

He will get the playing time but that team will win nothing.  

At this point I doubt he cares much about winning.  Also, just happy he didn’t go in conference.