UGA-Georgia-Related-News

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

D'Wan Mathis gets clearance to participate fully.... https://uga.rivals.com/news/d-wan-mathis-gets-clearance-to-play?fbclid=IwAR3BOqCVe9fbKRX1iYGQEwuFHr0IK09mR3lfQMrNLfgU-W7DaI4m1idd9ms

They're gonna be so surprised when we put up ~42 ppg.

Posted Images

If there is no announcement today regarding a game this weekend, sounds like that's a wrap until bowl selection.

Dash is reporting that UGA is trying as hard as possible to get something scheduled, but the teams that are actually available to play this weekend don't seem interested in playing a game.

He posted this just a short time ago:

Georgia is still trying it’s best to find an opponent. It hasn’t been easy.
Told this morning just not a lot of options, and the ones who can that they’ve talked with, don’t want to play. Also told it’s nothing about Georgia being too cheap.
For those wondering about Sunbelt Teams (Georgia State, Georgia Southern), their seasons are done I’m told.
Also hurting Georgia’s chances is typically, any number of FCS teams, Mercer, Furman, etc, would jump at the chance. However, most of those teams all went to a February-spring schedule. There have a few (Western Carolina, for example) that were allowed to recently play an FBS team, but those schools have packed it in until then.
But Georgia - Director of Player Ops Josh Lee (who handles the schedules for Coach) - is trying its ****est.
They’ve got until today to get something done.

1 hour ago, GAbred said:

I don't think any major schools would be that willing to come to Athens last minute. 

We should be able to get a decent school last minute. The TV contract payout alone is probably $500k-$1M for whomever UGA plays. You would think there’s a dozen+ teams that would jump on that in an instant if asked.

23 minutes ago, Carter said:

Being reported that OLB Jermaine Johnson, who is draft eligible, has informed the coaches he wants to explore his options in the transfer portal.

A lot of folks thought he was entering the draft and gone anyway. The position is pretty loaded and this might actually signal to a recruit there could be some open playing time right out the gate.

Would love for something like this to sway Foreman or Adaleye.

21 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Daddy has issues

Yeah and to be clear for everyone him putting his name in the portal does not mean he is for sure leaving. It just means other schools can (legally) communicate with him. He could decide to stay at UGA and take his name out of the portal. From what I understand he wants to stay but his dad in particular is unhappy with something, perhaps how he is used on the field.

Unless I’m mistaken, numbers have been adjusted with the NCAA granting a blanket extra year of eligibility. So I’m not sure how much him possibly leaving would really impact our numbers going into next season. My memory on this point could be hazy or just wrong but teams will have flexibility with keeping players another year while bringing in a new recruiting class.

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yeah and to be clear for everyone him putting his name in the portal does not mean he is for sure leaving. It just means other schools can (legally) communicate with him. He could decide to stay at UGA and take his name out of the portal. From what I understand he wants to stay but his dad in particular is unhappy with something, perhaps how he is used on the field.

Unless I’m mistaken, numbers have been adjusted with the NCAA granting a blanket extra year of eligibility. So I’m not sure how much him possibly leaving would really impact our numbers going into next season. My memory on this point could be hazy or just wrong but teams will have flexibility with keeping players another year while bringing in a new recruiting class.

Not something... someone.

user generated

user generated

1 minute ago, Ransack said:

Not something... someone.

user generated

user generated

Yeah kinda what I was getting at lol I saw guys posting about it on the vent. Some folks feel the same way about Adam Anderson. Not saying I agree. But I get it. Wrong way to go about it for JJ’s dad but it doesn’t sound like JJ agrees. I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone knowledgeable of the game who doesn’t think JJ is one of the best players on this whole team. Unfortunately there will always be some parents who think they know better than any of the coaches. 

Yeah, picking up Iowa as a replacement game would be huge. Seems like it would be a logistical challenge for sure, but likely still time to get it done. Nothing crazy for the coaches and players to adjust to scheme-wise, but preparation would definitely be a concern.

It's so crazy to me how they are scrambling to get schedules adjusted and matchups made this year. We're so used to seeing these schools schedule games 6+ years out and talking like it's just so hard to make schedule changes. I guess this is a very different situation this year altogether though.

It's probably also a good time to point out we are about to have a lot of existing players depart our roster in the transfer portal. And more importantly not to freak out about it and start claiming the sky is falling with every new player to enter the portal. 

The staff knows it's coming; there could be up to 14 more players hit the portal over the next month, and a lot of them will be coming very shortly because we need those roster spots to be able to get our 14 to 16 early enrollee recruits in Athens within the next few weeks. 

Most of the kids transferring out will be players that are buried on the depth chart and looking for opportunities to play elsewhere. There will also be several contributors leave that are looking for more snaps too. Think of Jermaine Johnson as an example. That OLB room is just too deep with quality players, and he might not be the only one that leaves from that room. 

Other teams and fans will look at these upcoming departures and try to claim it's rats deserting a sinking ship or something similar. That is not the case, so don't buy into that narrative. Some of these guys have legitimate complaints about playing time or lack of opportunities, and that is a symptom of us recruiting at such a high level. But most of these guys will be players that never met their potential and need to move on to greener pastures.