UGA-Georgia-Related-News

37 minutes ago, Beef said:

This is not an excuse, because honestly I think Monken is going to come in here and turn Jamie Newman into a Heisman candidate and we're going to put up at least 40 ppg.

BUT...

We are dealing with:

1. A new OC and transition to a new playbook

2. A depleted OL, although it's still pretty stacked, there's some definite dropoff... AND, they're all dealing with an entirely new blocking scheme

3. We have 1 proven receiver worth a darn, 1 other coming off serious injury, and a slew of rookies/freshmen whom we HOPE are better than the poor catching receivers that killed us last year

4. We have a brand new transfer QB that we THINK can be elite, but we really don't know

5. We don't really know what we have at RB.  Is Zamir back or is he what we saw with Coley (an up the middle bulldozer)?  What is Cook and McIntosh?  Can Milton be special right out the gate?

The Defense isn't a question.  But this offense is really an unknown still.  It looks tremendous on paper, and we hope and think it could be very special, but we really have to wait and see.

I would say if we don't meet expectations, these are quite valid excuses why.

And then, next year, we're dealing with a likely QB controversy between BVG and Beck.  And if we don't meet expectations again next year, it'll likely be because our QB play wasn't sufficient enough.  And again, probably a valid excuse.

That all said, I really feel in my gut that all that is going to be proven moot.  Newman looks legit and special to me.  Our new receivers looks like the next coming.  Our OL is still bonafide.  And our RB's should have a field day with a spread out defense and behind our big OL.  And WHEN we beat Bama in week 3, everyone's going to turn their sights on us and start asking if we're this year's LSU.  Just watch.

Darn you, it is too early in the year for me to be this hyped

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

D'Wan Mathis gets clearance to participate fully.... https://uga.rivals.com/news/d-wan-mathis-gets-clearance-to-play?fbclid=IwAR3BOqCVe9fbKRX1iYGQEwuFHr0IK09mR3lfQMrNLfgU-W7DaI4m1idd9ms

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Invited to Combine

Blankenship

Cager

Fromm

Herrien

Kindley

Reed

Swift

Thomas

Wilson

Woerner

Wow, so the list of snubs are:

Michael Barnett (he'll still get invited to a tryout)

Michail Carter (same, he'll get invited to a tryout somewhere)

Tyler Clark (WTF?? how is he not going to the combine??  He'll make some team's practice squad)

Tae Crowder (such a shame, he deserves a shot. Hope he gets a tryout invite)

D'Marcus Hayes

David Marshall

Tyrique McGhee

Tyler Simmons (no surprise skillet-hands not invited)

Justin Young

38 minutes ago, Beef said:

Wow, so the list of snubs are:

Michael Barnett (he'll still get invited to a tryout)

Michail Carter (same, he'll get invited to a tryout somewhere)

Tyler Clark (WTF?? how is he not going to the combine??  He'll make some team's practice squad)

Tae Crowder (such a shame, he deserves a shot. Hope he gets a tryout invite)

D'Marcus Hayes

David Marshall

Tyrique McGhee

Tyler Simmons (no surprise skillet-hands not invited)

Justin Young

That’s all that 247 listed. 
Pro day will be huge for some. 

Edelman, Tyreek Hill and Antonio Gates come to mind as successful players who didn’t get a combine invitation. Makes the pro day workouts all the more important though. Really surprising to me that Tyler Clark and Tae Crowder didn’t get invited. Crowder was a national semi-finalist for the Butkus Award this year.... he’s a pretty **** good LB.

8 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

the referee admitted they knew bama was reeling so they made a call to help them out.. pretty pathetic.  how about admitting to the other non calls that hurt UGA in that game.. you had a face mask penalty that was so dang blatant and that noncall hurt us bigtime.. we get that call we put more points on the board.  let's not talk about the wr taking off before the snap on that tieing touchdown that wasn't called.. yes we lost the game, but the refs did everything they could to keep bama in that game.. it was pathetic and so biased and blatant. 

6 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

the referee admitted they knew bama was reeling so they made a call to help them out.. pretty pathetic.  how about admitting to the other non calls that hurt UGA in that game.. you had a face mask penalty that was so dang blatant and that noncall hurt us bigtime.. we get that call we put more points on the board.  let's not talk about the wr taking off before the snap on that tieing touchdown that wasn't called.. yes we lost the game, but the refs did everything they could to keep bama in that game.. it was pathetic and so biased and blatant. 

What puzzles me is why he felt so compelled to have his tell all moment.  This is what bothers me about refs sometimes their integrity when it comes to refereeing these games without bias towards another team.  So since he’s retired there is no repercussion for his blatant BS.  

Lake on 247 normal has some good info

LakeNormandawgMOD
Posted on 57 mins, , User Since 101 months ago, User Post Count: 0
  • 57 mins
  • 101 months

UGA hosted an event for donors the night before signing day at the Foundry in Athens.. This is the 3rd year they've staged this and it's really well done and all Coaches attended and spoke..According to UGA, this has become their most well attended event for donors-I was an invited guest bow.gif...Every Coach spoke and talked about their family and the kids they recruited..It's very easy to see why we recruit so well as every Coach is high energy with the personality to recruit..I've been every year, but truly believe this is our best staff..Coach Cavan stated as much when he concluded the evening..He's been at UGA many, many years except for HC stops at ETSU and SMU and he believes this is the best UGA staff ever..

Monken is a straight shooter and quite candid-His Son actually played baseball with Carson Beck about 10 years ago in Jacksonville, so they are familiar with each other..One thing I gathered from listening to the Coaches was the character of the incoming recruits is high..Somebody did ask Dell about Evans and it was a "Been told not to comment"...Coach Warren relayed that one of the new DB's (believed to be Major Burns) sends him inspirational messages everyday-He said, "that's supposed to be my job"....

Dell said Milton measured at 6'2-230 now with a gain of 8-10 lbs already and will be monitored for his optimum playing weight.Lots of good chatter about Jalen Carter and how hungry some of the other recruits are..

Highlights of each player were playing on the video board as was a presentation of the new addition to Butts-Mehre which is impressive..Believe the weight room was 22,000 and the lounges were state of the art.. Athletic board is meeting on Wednesday...

Was really impressed with the new guys and especially Coach Luke as he came in and hit the ground running..He literally went to work immediately and visited his first recruit in a borrowed pull over..Kudos to him for holding serve on our OL class as he was getting to know, introducing himself and recruiting them on limited time frame and obviously did well-Loved Coach Pittman, but Coach Luke was a home run hire...Coach Monken is a straight shooter who gets right to the point-refreshing...Reporters will enjoy their one day with himbiggrin.gif

The band, food and fellowship with Dawg fans was enjoyable and on my yearly bucket list...Sinclair gave the crowd a little energy drill/pep talk which was entertaining..Coaches were very candid, but did ask for some discretion, so I'd best golol.gif

LakeNormandawgMOD
Posted on 24 mins, , User Since 101 months ago, User Post Count: 17,836
  • 24 mins
  • 101 months

MADDAWG2020 said... (original post)Was there a specific recruit that you could tell the coaches were really giddy about. Anybody you got the feeling they felt he will be a superst...

show more

Carter

Edited by 95Dawg

Awesome stuff.

Did you guys know that Ladd McConkey was taking college courses from a community college near his high school while he was a Junior and Senior and he already has his associates degree?  Kid has a 4.35 GPA, already has his college core curriculum DONE, and he is entering UGA already taking his 3000 level Finance degree classes on day one.  He will graduate with a Finance degree before he even finishes his sophomore year, and will have his Masters in Finance by the time he finished his Senior season.

Combined with his insane athletic agility and speed, that's probably the most impressive thing I've ever heard about a scholar athlete... ever.

20 minutes ago, Beef said:

Awesome stuff.

Did you guys know that Ladd McConkey was taking college courses from a community college near his high school while he was a Junior and Senior and he already has his associates degree?  Kid has a 4.35 GPA, already has his college core curriculum DONE, and he is entering UGA already taking his 3000 level Finance degree classes on day one.  He will graduate with a Finance degree before he even finishes his sophomore year, and will have his Masters in Finance by the time he finished his Senior season.

Combined with his insane athletic agility and speed, that's probably the most impressive thing I've ever heard about a scholar athlete... ever.

Slick... Definitely community college classes >> AP classes for anyone with kids. Community College classes count for overall GPA attainment in college whereas AP only gives "credit" but no GPA contribution. Not to say AP has no value, but certainly would prioritize dual enrollment wherever possible for your kids if it's an option.

Super impressive on Ladd's part. I started college with about 40 credit hours but I wasn't an elite athlete on a D1 scholarship in addition to all that... :lol: I was a mediocre athlete who wasn't willing to go the walk-on route.

1 hour ago, 95Dawg said:

Coach Warren relayed that one of the new DB's (believed to be Major Burns) sends him inspirational messages everyday-He said, "that's supposed to be my job"

Yeah in the interview Shockley did with the EE's, Major said that he is the one who sends a motivational text to everyone every morning.  He said one of his coaches taught him to do it a few years back and he's been sending them to his entire team ever since.  And now he's collecting phone numbers and doing it at UGA too.

Kid will be a team captain by the time he's a Junior.

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Yeah in the interview Shockley did with the EE's, Major said that he is the one who sends a motivational text to everyone every morning.  He said one of his coaches taught him to do it a few years back and he's been sending them to his entire team ever since.  And now he's collecting phone numbers and doing it at UGA too.

Kid will be a team captain by the time he's a Junior.

Man kids like this make me proud and happy that he's a Dawg.  

This class already has numerous type of kids like this too.

Just Awesome

Just Wow.  Always liked Chubb DGD

Nick Chubb is the NFL's No. 1 running back per PFF

ByJAKE ROWE 6 hours ago

It comes as no surprise to Georgia fans that Nick Chubb is ripping it up in the NFL. The former UGA standout and Cleveland running back finished as the NFL's second-leading rusher in 2019 as Tennessee's Derrick Henry passed him with a monster game in week 17, but Pro Football Focus' metrics say that there was no better ball carrier in 2019 than Chubb.

The analytics-based site rolled out its list of top 101 players recently and Chubb came in at No. 23 overall and as the No. 1 running back, one spot ahead of Carolina running back Christian McCaffery.

Despite not being given the same weight of opportunity as some other backs, Nick Chubb still remains the most efficient runner in the game over his young career. This season, he finished second in the league in rushing, with 1,122 of his yards coming after contact. He averaged more than a full yard after contact than Christian McCaffrey and was second in the NFL in broken tackles (66). Chubb also had 13 broken tackles on his 36 catches out of the backfield, but he saw a fraction of the targets that the most productive receivers did at the position.

Yes, you read that correctly. Chubb had well over 1,000 yards after contact in his second NFL season. In fact, over 75 percent of Chubb's 1,494 yards came after he was contacted in 2019. That's kind of mind-blowing.

Despite running behind an offensive line that struggled mightily all season and within an offense that was dysfunctional at best, Chubb had seven games where he eclipsed the 100-yard mark and 10 games where he rushed for at least 80 yards. He averaged five yards per carry while carrying the football 18.6 times per game and scored eight touchdowns. He had a long of 88 yards.

Chubb did that coming off a rookie season where he had 996 yards rushing. If his final carry of the 2018 season hadn't been for a five-yard loss, Chubb would have two 1,000-yard showings in as many seasons, but it's important to note that as a rookie, he had just 16 carries in his first six games before Cleveland traded Carlos Hyde to Jacksonville.

What Chubb did at UGA was nothing short of remarkable. After stepping in for a suspended Todd Gurley as a freshman, Chubb rushed for 1,547 yards and 14 touchdowns as a freshman. His sophomore season was cut short due to a gruesome knee injury suffered at Tennessee in the sixth game of the year, putting his football future in doubt. But he returned less than 10 months later to carve up North Carolina in the 2016 Chick-Fil-A Kickoff game with 32 carries for 222 yards and two touchdowns.

Chubb finished that junior season with 1,130 yards and eight touchdowns before electing to return for his senior year. In his final season at UGA, Chubb piled up 1,345 yards and 15 touchdowns while helping the Bulldogs to an SEC Championship, a Rose Bowl victory in the College Football Playoff quarterfinals, and the National Championship game.

He was selected by the Browns with the No. 35 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and entering his third season, he'll be playing for his third head coach and offensive play caller in Kevin Stefanski.