UGA-Georgia-Related-News

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Ben Cleveland confirmed to be returning for next season. Good news. 

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/ben-cleveland-hes-following-through-on-plan-to-return-to-uga-in-2020

With that expected news, we've got at least some experience returning at 4 of the 5 OL spots. LG Schaffer/Ericsson; C Hill; RG Cleveland; RT Salyer. Only LT will be breaking in a totally new player. 

I don't think it's out of the question that one of the players you mentioned slides over to LT and Webb takes over at C.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

D'Wan Mathis gets clearance to participate fully.... https://uga.rivals.com/news/d-wan-mathis-gets-clearance-to-play?fbclid=IwAR3BOqCVe9fbKRX1iYGQEwuFHr0IK09mR3lfQMrNLfgU-W7DaI4m1idd9ms

They're gonna be so surprised when we put up ~42 ppg.

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, AutumnEffect said:

I don't think it's out of the question that one of the players you mentioned slides over to LT and Webb takes over at C.

Highly doubtful. Salyer is the only one of those guys that is athletic enough to play LT, and even then that is debatable. Look for Truss to be the 1st in line, but others will have their chance in the spring and then training camp. 

3 minutes ago, D.B.N. said:

At this point, I'm all in on Brock. #1 Pro Style QB and right in our backyard? Yes please. 

He’s only categorized as pro style because he’s slightly more elite while in the pocket than he is with his feet. 

But make no mistake, he’s an absolute dual-threat.

He’s definitely more inclined for Monken’s system than Caleb Williams is, but I’d still take either.

2 minutes ago, Beef said:

He’s only categorized as pro style because he’s slightly more elite while in the pocket than he is with his feet. 

He’s definitely more inclined for Monken’s system than Caleb Williams is, but I’d still take either.

Yeah, he rushed for 1000+ yards his sophomore season. I love the prospect of him in Monken's system for sure. Also playing close to him is big to him, can't get much closer than Bogart to Athens. 

4 minutes ago, Beef said:

Also, Caleb's biggest recruiter was Coley. With the rumors about Coley potentially leaving for TAMU, and Brock's back-to-back UVs connecting w/ Monken, you gotta think we could potentially be on Commitment Watch for Brock here very soon. Trying to tame my excitement but I like where we're at right now. 

A UGA fan writes (Mark Harvey): 

I accidentally deleted this because it showed twice on my feed. My bad

A lot of people are saying with the hire of Monken we’re gonna be going all Mike Leach Air Raid Spread and our defense is gonna suffer that’s hogwash. We still have the same HC, we’re not gonna go all Hal Mumme (who Mike Leach leaned under, although Kirby cut his teeth coaching where they ran Mumme’s system at Valdosta State). Georgia is still gonna play great defense and we’re still gonna run the ball it’s just gonna be more balanced 50/50 pass to run.

If you want a model of what we’re probably gonna look like in 2020 and beyond look at Auburn & Malzahn and Clemson & Chad Morris and if my bet is right it will be more like Morris’s system at Clemson, though both look very similar (they do come from the same tree of coaching). Where Malzahn is more Slot-T, which relies heavily on gap plays (pulling guards/tackles – think Power/Counter) and the use of a running QB, the Morris system is more in line with other modern Spread offenses and bases out of zone schemes and the RPO. Open up a Chad Morris playbook and the first play you are likely to see is a simple 20 personnel Inside Zone blocking this is where I think we’re evolving too and we need to.

The base formation for any Morris style offense and what I think Kirby will want Monken to run is the typical 20 personnel, with a stacked backfield as shown below. The backfield orientation is critical in this style of offense because it usually dictates the type of plays a defense might see. Many teams that run this type of offense will like a “stacked” backfield to run their gap plays because it allows the RB to hit the play downhill in Power or follow the folding H-back in the Counter. The split backfield look (Slant/Slant Opposite) is usually used for Zone Read (Arc) or BAsh (back-away) plays (which we will see a lot of with Newman or Beck running the offense) because it gives split flow look or hides the arcing H-back behind the line of scrimmage.

A post was made that this new offensive style will hurt our defense, Clemson and Auburn run this more wide open vertical passing game and they both still run the ball and both have elite defenses. This is just the natural evolution of football and we should applaud Kirby Smart for having the introspection to know changes needed to be made.

D3BD3179-85EB-4BC3-8298-8425717467A4.jpeg

A couple of support staff additions:

• Maurice Sims will join the strength and conditioning staff. He is coming from two years working at UNC and previously worked two years at West Point with Army. 
  • Terso Uhaa is also joining the strength and conditioning staff. He is coming from Texas Tech, where he primarily worked with the basketball program. He has a lot of experience within football though and has been a S&C director before.
33 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

I've looked but can't find when is G-Day game this year? 

April what?

Feel bad I haven't been able to find it using google.  Google has not been my friend today.  Well except I did find a few Sat baseball games in the spring and I might go watch one.

It wasn't officially set until the end of Jan last year. I feel like I saw someone throw out a date on another board recently, but no clue if it was accurate.

34 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

I've looked but can't find when is G-Day game this year? 

April what?

Feel bad I haven't been able to find it using google.  Google has not been my friend today.  Well except I did find a few Sat baseball games in the spring and I might go watch one.

Believe it’s the week after Easter. April 18th iirc

23 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Nice face glitter fellas 

Untitled Image

Yeah lol for Tebow’s wedding... and while Mullen was off doing this, Kirby was hosting a boatload of top recruits and securing a commitment from another five star QB.

I’m old enough to remember when Florida fans paid for a website mocking UGA to keep Richt forever because of stuff like that. My how the turntables 

Someone asked a question over on the Rant about if we will take a hit in quality of RB recruiting if Monken turns us into a pass-happy offense, so I looked into it and here's what I found:

After doing some advanced stats analysis, I don't think much will change with regards to quality of RB's who want to come here.

UGA has averaged around 66 plays per game the last couple seasons (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/2018/gamelog/ & https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/georgia/2019/gamelog/ ).

With run/pass per game numbers going anywhere from 25-52 runs and 12-52 passes.  With an average of 38 runs to 28 passes (57%/43%).

Of those 28 average passes per game, 4 on average have gone to our RB's.

YPC in 2018 was also 5.9, while in 2019 it was 5.0, almost a full ypc less.

Now if we look at Monken's 2015 Southern Miss season: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-mississippi/2015/gamelog/ 

We can see he averaged 74 plays per game.  With games going anywhere from 23-48 runs to 27-58 passes.  And a per game average of 36 rushing attempts to 38 passing attempts (49%/51%).

And of those 38 average passing attempts, about 7 per game were to RB's.

YPC was a small school respectable 5.0, too.

So under Monken at Southern Miss, RB's averaged about 43 touches per game, while UGA the past couple seasons RB's have averaged 42 touches per game.

I suspect under Monken, our YPC will go up, too, with defenses being spread out more.  Not to mention throwing to RB's more and getting them in space with the ball in their hands will probably increase their AP yards in general.

So no, I don't think we'll take a hit in RB recruiting.

Edited by Beef
31 minutes ago, Beef said:

Someone asked a question over on the Rant about if we will take a hit in quality of RB recruiting if Monken turns us into a pass-happy offense, so I looked into it and here's what I found:

To add to that, here is what he did at Oklahoma State as an OC in a P5 conference:

2011:

Brandon Weeden QB1
Justin Blackmon WR1
Joseph Randle RB1

Passing

429 completions 596 attempts ~72% cmp pct 5034 passing yards
    YPC 11.73426573
40TD/13INT   YPA 8.446308725

Rushing

382 attempts 2139 yards 5.60 YPC 36 TDs

Receiving

While Blackmon was obviously a very talented receiver, this was the entire WR pool he had:

Player
Justin Blackmon
Tracy Moore
Isaiah Anderson
Colton Chelf
Michael Harrison
Josh Stewart
Justin Horton
Charlie Moore
David Paulsen
Wilson Youman

The first 5 had more than 20 receptions a piece, and the 6th had 19. I think most people would be hard pressed to recall any of them other than Blackmon.

In 2012, after losing both Weeden and Blackmon, this is what he managed:

3 QBs with more than 125 attempts, none over 200... Clint Chelf, J.W. Walsh, Wes Lunt
Joseph Randle - RB1 still
Josh Stewart - WR1

Passing

312 completions 495 attempts 63% amp pct 4312 yards

34TD/16INT

8.71 YPA

13.8 YPC

Rushing

507 att 2829 yds 5.58 YPC 35 TD

Receiving

This year, no Blackmon, no worries, all of these guys had double digit receptions:

Josh Stewart
Isaiah Anderson
Charlie Moore
Blake Jackson
Austin Hays
Tracy Moore
Blake Webb
Kye Staley

No stars here, but he managed to make 5'10, 180 lb Josh Stewart a 100 catch, 1200 yard receiver in their offense. And 6 receivers had 20 or more catches.

Obviously, college stats are somewhat skewed where QB sacks are considered runs, but in both years, you see that the running game is never abandoned. In 2011, where your best talent is at WR/QB, he skewed pass (60/40). In 2012, where QB is not solid, and your all world WR is gone, shifted back to slightly over 50/50 in favor of rushing. 

Don't have the patience or interest to do this for the NFL...

4 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

To add to that, here is what he did at Oklahoma State as an OC in a P5 conference:

2011:

Brandon Weeden QB1
Justin Blackmon WR1
Joseph Randle RB1

Passing

429 completions 596 attempts ~72% cmp pct 5034 passing yards
    YPC 11.73426573
40TD/13INT   YPA 8.446308725

Rushing

382 attempts 2139 yards 5.60 YPC 36 TDs

Receiving

While Blackmon was obviously a very talented receiver, this was the entire WR pool he had:

Player
Justin Blackmon
Tracy Moore
Isaiah Anderson
Colton Chelf
Michael Harrison
Josh Stewart
Justin Horton
Charlie Moore
David Paulsen
Wilson Youman

The first 5 had more than 20 receptions a piece, and the 6th had 19. I think most people would be hard pressed to recall any of them other than Blackmon.

In 2012, after losing both Weeden and Blackmon, this is what he managed:

3 QBs with more than 125 attempts, none over 200... Clint Chelf, J.W. Walsh, Wes Lunt
Joseph Randle - RB1 still
Josh Stewart - WR1

Passing

312 completions 495 attempts 63% amp pct 4312 yards

34TD/16INT

8.71 YPA

13.8 YPC

Rushing

507 att 2829 yds 5.58 YPC 35 TD

Receiving

This year, no Blackmon, no worries, all of these guys had double digit receptions:

Josh Stewart
Isaiah Anderson
Charlie Moore
Blake Jackson
Austin Hays
Tracy Moore
Blake Webb
Kye Staley

No stars here, but he managed to make 5'10, 180 lb Josh Stewart a 100 catch, 1200 yard receiver in their offense. And 6 receivers had 20 or more catches.

Obviously, college stats are somewhat skewed where QB sacks are considered runs, but in both years, you see that the running game is never abandoned. In 2011, where your best talent is at WR/QB, he skewed pass (60/40). In 2012, where QB is not solid, and your all world WR is gone, shifted back to slightly over 50/50 in favor of rushing. 

Don't have the patience or interest to do this for the NFL...

Yeah that’s great stuff. He clearly flows with the hot hand while concentrating on spreading things out and using the pass to open the run. That’s the biggest takeaway.

I wouldn’t even look at the NFL stuff. It’s just not relative, other than he again clearly played to the team’s strengths and used the pass to spread defenses out.

Good work beef and finonnaci. I’d like the 2 back set out of gun. Quick rpo inside give look with Zeus, then the pass look with cool flaring. Nice wrinkle every now and again to run Speed option with Jamie and cook off that...that could be real nice in red zone with a clear out pass option for Washington. Very confident we’re about to burn up some leds on ye ole scoreboard

I'm especially interested in the potential for improvement in two areas
1. A more realistic take on balance. I appreciate that Monk realizes there's more to it than a run/pass ratio. Force the defense to treat each skill player with respect, and everyone's matchups get easer. More options become available.
2. Making a game plan tailored to your team's strengths. As we have seen, Coley could sometimes deliver good play design. But not one that was meant for this team to be comfortable executing. That's just bad dadgum coaching.