Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SacFalcFan

UGA-Georgia-Related-News

115 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, sdogg said:

Good God that is a horrible pre-game speech, Dan. 

I can't think of a worse pre-game speech unless he told them go out there and just don't get hurt

Edited by 95Dawg
sdogg likes this

Kirby Smart's best quotes from 2019 SEC Media Days

ByJAKE ROWE 2 hours ago

HOOVER, Ala. -- Kirby Smart is now a grizzled veteran when it comes to SEC Media Days. He took the stage for the fourth time as Georgia's head coach on Tuesday but, in reality, he has handled it like a professional since his first in 2016.

After some good-natured ribbing from SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey regarding Smart being the second-best athlete in his own home behind his wife Mary Beth, who is a former Mrs. Basketball in the state of Georgia and Lady Dogs standout, the fourth-year head coach's time came.

He started by acknowledging the jabs from Sankey and the 150th anniversary of College Football. He also discussed the fifth anniversary of the SEC Network and the impact it has had on the conference.

Smart also took the time to thank those who have made the program what it is today, specifically guys like Mel Tucker (now the head coach at Colorado) and former players Roquan Smith and Sony Michel -- both of whom were first-round picks in the NFL Draft. 

There was a lot more said by the Bulldog head man, ranging from how the Bulldogs plan to handle the hype to statements on specific players who have a chance to step into key roles in 2019.

Below, Dawgs247 takes a look at some of the most interesting quotes from Smart from media days.

ON THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE LAST TWO SEASONS...

"One of the themes our players have adopted this year has been to do more. It's a great theme because it's simple.

We like it because we understand how close we've been to taking the next step. And although 24 and 5 the last two seasons is good, it's not good enough. It's not where we expect to be at the University of Georgia.

Our mission is to bridge that gap, you know, by the actions we take, hence the word "do more," those words require action. And I heard a quote coming in here. I read a quote coming in this morning that really grabbed me, and I'm not a big quote guy, but when I heard that quote, I thought that's something that our players can relate to "life has no remote. You got to get up and change it yourself." And if you think about that, so many of us want to take the easy way out, whether it's changing the channel with the remote or anything else, not doing the work that has to be done, we want to do more at the University of Georgia. We're not complacent in what we've done, and we know we need to take that next step."

ON THE PRESSURE AND HYPE...

"Pressure is a reflection of ambition. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves day in and day out. The stress and pressure we feel emanates from our building, from our coaches, from our players putting it on each other, from our university. We apply it every day. We're always looking for the aggregate of marginal gains, and I want to explain that simply like we have to our players, we take a situation like the PGA Tour and look at 2017 in the PGA Tour and we say, here's Brooks Koepka and here's Justin Thomas, these guys were .5 strokes apart, meaning they were half a stroke difference in their play over 86 rounds. So that's that much difference between each one.

Their earnings that year, $5 million difference, which is pretty significant. It's a lot of money, but we're looking for the aggregate of marginal gains. If we get a little bit of marginal gain through our nutrition, through our weightlifting, through our film study, through our effort on and off the field, through other dedication to our community, whatever our edge can be, we're looking for that aggregate of marginal gains and that comes in every facet every way possible for our program."

REPLACING BOTH COORDINATORS IN-HOUSE...

"I think any time you build the infrastructure in a program, when people leave, as long as you're not changing that infrastructure, it doesn't create a lot of doubt or anxiety in the players. And certainly from my perspective, very comfortable after being in our system for three years that we've got really good coordinators. James, our offensive coordinator, has been with us a long time. I've known James from graduate assistant days back at LSU. I have tremendous respect for him. I know the offenses he's worked with in a past. And he's also been a part of ours. He has been a very integral part of that offense.

So there won't be a lot of change. It will be more about what our players can do than what our coaches do.

From a defensive standpoint, Dan Lanning and Glenn Schumann are very bright. Mel was a really good teacher to them. Mel helped them tremendously grow. He gave them opportunities to grow, to get in front of the defense so we can see them interact. I'm still going to be involved defensively, makes me feel comfortable with Dan and Glenn and Charlton Warren and Tray Scott to do a tremendous job there."

ON FLIPPING FIVE-STAR WR GEORGE PICKENS FROM AUBURN...

"We're excited to have George. He's come in this summer and worked tremendously hard. He's been there from day one, grinding with our guys. He's a kid we recruited throughout the entire process. He came over to our place for several football games. He knew what he wanted. He knew what style offense he wanted to play in. He saw an opportunity when he saw two guys declare early for the draft in Mecole and Riley and Terry Godwin leave and then Isaac Nauta, there was a lot of touches there available, and I know he wanted to have an opportunity to play with a quarterback like Jake Fromm. We're excited to have him. We're looking forward to seeing him work and earn his opportunities."

ON THE IMPORTANCE OF TAKING A HEAD COACHING JOB WHERE THE FINANCIAL COMMITMENT WAS LARGE...

Yeah. I certainly think so. I think any time you take over a program that's one of the top five jobs in college football, they are going to answer the bell for your needs and the things you need to be able to compete at the highest level. And when you're in the SEC, you better be able to compete at the highest level. That's across the line of scrimmage. That's in the administration buildings. That's in what you can do for student-athletes. And we've been able to do that since my arrival, and it's been a tremendous relationship between the athletic director and the president, both.

ON THE STATE OF HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IN GEORGIA...

"I don't know that you could measure it in statistical gains because they only play each other. It's not like you can measure it in wins and losses. I think you measure it in the quality of coach you get, and I think that our state of Georgia does a great job with educators. Number one, paying educators, paying high school coaches. And when you have a support structure like the State of Georgia education department, you're able to get the best of the coaches.

I can't tell you how many places I go in the country to speak that they say, I would love to get a job in the state of Georgia. I got a lot of respect for the state of Georgia, not necessarily just the talent of the players, but the structure of the school systems, the support of the communities of their football programs, and that's hard to beat anywhere in the country. And we're really proud of that. It's certainly been an impact on our program."

ON THE UGA/UF GAME BEING IN JACKSONVILLE OR POSSIBLY MOVING...

"I'm for what's best for the University of Georgia and as a group and as a staff and as administration, and we'll look at that internally and make the decisions based on what is best for our student-athletes and what is best for the university.

I don't get caught up in the emotion of this decision or that decision. I look at it from a perspective of 10,000 feet where I say: What is best for our program? And it's that simple. And we'll make that decision as I group and go with it.

As far as Florida's concerned, we really don't get caught up in that. We're really focused on us. We got enough in-house things that we have to manage that I'm not caught up in the affair with social media and trolling."

ON NICK SABAN AND THE FACT THAT FORMER ASSISTANTS ARE 0-16 AGAINST HIM...

"Am I confident somebody's going to beat him? It depends how long he coaches. It depends on how many opportunities they get. Inevitably, with enough opportunities, anything can happen.

I got a lot of respect for the job he does. I got a lot of respect for the program. The success he's gotten has been earned. Make no mistake about that. He's earned it. There's not one thing he asked assistant coaches to do that he doesn't do himself.

As far as on the recruiting trail, he's like he is on the field. He's very relentless. He's active as a recruiter. When you talk to a kid, a lot of times you find out he's talked to Coach Saban as well. That's part of it. It's communications skills that help you recruit, and he doesn't leave any stone unturned, and I got a lot of respect for the job he does."

ON THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP OR BUST MENTALITY...

"I don't know that I have a judgement on that because it doesn't control what I think of the job we do internally. I have always been a look from within, put pressure from within. We put a lot of pressure on our team day in and day out. We put a lot of pressure on our staff and myself day in and day out. We'll always measure things internally and externally, we'll be judged and we accept that. I accept the burden that comes with this job which is 24-5 and our motto is to do more. It's not enough to be 24-5. We've got to do more and we understand that. We are trying to ways the ways to do that 'more.' What is that 'more?' That's what we're trying to achieve."

ON PREPARING FOR THE LOSS OF KEY PLAYERS EARLY TO THE NFL DRAFT...

"I think you prepare every year at every position. We've got two tackles who theoretically could go in the first round. I think you have to be careful when you hear about mock drafts. You've got to educate yourself on what is the source because none of those mock drafts you mentioned, and I don't know what source you're talking about, but none of those are coming from (General Managers). None of those are coming from inside the building of a place because they don't actually evaluate those guys just yet. It's really kind of a premature thing. I think if you look at last year's draft, there were a lot premature notions that were out there about players all over the country that got bad information from mock drafts and they made mistakes. That's why you play the game. You go play the season, you get the information from the season and you make the best decision you can. If you're going to be a top-15 pick, you need to go. You need to go out early, that's for certain, but to determine who those top-15 picks are, you need to play the game. I think that's a little bit of a problem in College Football right now. There's so many experts at that (the NFL Draft). You see it across the bottom line and you don't know the source. We try to do a tremendous job of reaching out to the NFL, reaching out to general managers, and get factual information for our kids."

The absolutely unbelievable “coin-flip” Herschel Walker rTecruiting story

Do you guys believe that Herschel Walker and "the Truth" have ever been introduced to each other?  My favorite college player of all-time but I think the title of Jeff Sentell's story is right.   Unbelievable.

Image result for coinflip gif

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/the-absolutely-coin-flip-unbelievable-herschel-walker-recruiting-story

The Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE coin-flip Herschel Walker Story

by Jeff Sentell

HOOVER, Ala. — The greatest Bulldog of all time would also have arguably the greatest recruiting story, too. When Herschel Walker told that story on Tuesday at the end of SEC Media Days, it just made sense.

The story first begins with a tough loss for the United States military in the spring of 1980. That’s because Walker wanted to join the service at the end of his high school career.

It wasn’t Georgia or Clemson or Southern California at the onset of his decision. It was college or the Marines.

“I was a great student and even though I was a great student,” Walker said. “I always wanted to go to the military. I couldn’t tell my Mom and Dad that I didn’t want to go to college and I didn’t want to go to the military.”

Walker didn’t even sign with Georgia until April of his senior year back in 1980.

“The reason I didn’t sign until April was because as long as I didn’t say anything they would let me go to the military,” he said. “But then on Easter Sunday in April, my mom said ‘Bo’ because my nickname was ‘Bo’ so Bo Jackson wanted to be me.”

That drew laughs. A lot.

“My mom said ‘Bo don’t you think it is time for you to decide on what you want to do,” Walker said. “So before I could say anything she said let me tell you this ‘if your mind and your heart is pure by the Lord Jesus then it really doesn’t matter about your decision’ and I was like alright.”

Then he flipped a coin. The military was on one side. College and football was the other end of that coin.

“It came for me to go to college and I go ‘Crap’ and then I went to the University of Georgia because I was upset that God didn’t let me do what I wanted to do. I flipped a coin between Clemson University and Georgia. Georgia ended up winning the coin toss.”

But that wasn’t the only hurdle between program-altering history for the Bulldogs. Walker also wanted to go to USC. There was a strong Heisman Trophy line of tailbacks for that program in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

“Then I flipped a coin between those two schools and Georgia won that as well,” he said. “This is no lie then I pulled the names out of a bag and I pulled Georgia and that time I said I was going to Georgia. That’s how I ended up [playing] at Georgia.”

“There are sometimes when you are naive and stupid God will take care of you. Because that was the right decision.”

Walker arrived in Athens in the summer of 1980. He did so with what he termed an “incredible” recruiting class. The rest is college football history.

DawgNation probably doesn’t need to worry about their luck in coin flips ever again. The ledger on the fortunate side of those flips still provides a solid return on investment to this day.

sdogg and 95Dawg like this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

The absolutely unbelievable “coin-flip” Herschel Walker rTecruiting story

Do you guys believe that Herschel Walker and "the Truth" have ever been introduced to each other?  My favorite college player of all-time but I think the title of Jeff Sentell's story is right.   Unbelievable.

Image result for coinflip gif

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/the-absolutely-coin-flip-unbelievable-herschel-walker-recruiting-story

The Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE coin-flip Herschel Walker Story

by Jeff Sentell

HOOVER, Ala. — The greatest Bulldog of all time would also have arguably the greatest recruiting story, too. When Herschel Walker told that story on Tuesday at the end of SEC Media Days, it just made sense.

The story first begins with a tough loss for the United States military in the spring of 1980. That’s because Walker wanted to join the service at the end of his high school career.

It wasn’t Georgia or Clemson or Southern California at the onset of his decision. It was college or the Marines.

“I was a great student and even though I was a great student,” Walker said. “I always wanted to go to the military. I couldn’t tell my Mom and Dad that I didn’t want to go to college and I didn’t want to go to the military.”

Walker didn’t even sign with Georgia until April of his senior year back in 1980.

“The reason I didn’t sign until April was because as long as I didn’t say anything they would let me go to the military,” he said. “But then on Easter Sunday in April, my mom said ‘Bo’ because my nickname was ‘Bo’ so Bo Jackson wanted to be me.”

That drew laughs. A lot.

“My mom said ‘Bo don’t you think it is time for you to decide on what you want to do,” Walker said. “So before I could say anything she said let me tell you this ‘if your mind and your heart is pure by the Lord Jesus then it really doesn’t matter about your decision’ and I was like alright.”

Then he flipped a coin. The military was on one side. College and football was the other end of that coin.

“It came for me to go to college and I go ‘Crap’ and then I went to the University of Georgia because I was upset that God didn’t let me do what I wanted to do. I flipped a coin between Clemson University and Georgia. Georgia ended up winning the coin toss.”

But that wasn’t the only hurdle between program-altering history for the Bulldogs. Walker also wanted to go to USC. There was a strong Heisman Trophy line of tailbacks for that program in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

“Then I flipped a coin between those two schools and Georgia won that as well,” he said. “This is no lie then I pulled the names out of a bag and I pulled Georgia and that time I said I was going to Georgia. That’s how I ended up [playing] at Georgia.”

“There are sometimes when you are naive and stupid God will take care of you. Because that was the right decision.”

Walker arrived in Athens in the summer of 1980. He did so with what he termed an “incredible” recruiting class. The rest is college football history.

DawgNation probably doesn’t need to worry about their luck in coin flips ever again. The ledger on the fortunate side of those flips still provides a solid return on investment to this day.

So much for heroic recruiting efforts of Mike Caven.  It all came down to a coin flip.

fibonaccisquared and g-dawg like this

On 7/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, 95Dawg said:

Just because UF and Mullen were brought up today listen and watch this pre-game comparison:

1) Who do you want to run through that wall for?

2) Who would make a good accountant lecturer?

LOL....   to Infinity. And Beyond!

Hoopergdawg 15856 posts

8 hours agovia Mobile

Jordan Rogers says Fromm is unique in the SEC.

“I think Jake Fromm is going to have a huge responsibility, yes he has Swift, but Jake does something that nobody else does in this league, the amount of control that he has at the line of scrimmage. 

Bar none, nobody does what he does they come out in formations where they have zero plays called, it’s not he can do this play or that play, he can do anything he wants, he can motion 2x2, he can leave it 3x1, the onus on him to get them in the right play every single time, which he does extremely well. That is what is going to hinge their success on offense.”

Chizik-“He’s won 24 games in two years and QBs get the blame if their is losses, just the way it is but I’m going to defend Jake. If those 5 losses, defense has given up 35.5 pts a game, in those 24 wins, 14 pts a game”

27 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Hoopergdawg 15856 posts

8 hours agovia Mobile

Jordan Rogers says Fromm is unique in the SEC.

“I think Jake Fromm is going to have a huge responsibility, yes he has Swift, but Jake does something that nobody else does in this league, the amount of control that he has at the line of scrimmage. 

Bar none, nobody does what he does they come out in formations where they have zero plays called, it’s not he can do this play or that play, he can do anything he wants, he can motion 2x2, he can leave it 3x1, the onus on him to get them in the right play every single time, which he does extremely well. That is what is going to hinge their success on offense.”

Chizik-“He’s won 24 games in two years and QBs get the blame if their is losses, just the way it is but I’m going to defend Jake. If those 5 losses, defense has given up 35.5 pts a game, in those 24 wins, 14 pts a game”

In our losses our defense has really dropped the ball bigtime.. having a 14 point lead in the 2nd half of games should have equaled wins if our defense had stepped it up and handle their business, but they haven't in some big games.  I am very excited though that this year's version of our defense can do the job. 

We take the foot off the gas on offense! Kirby gonna have to prove he can have that spurrier type run it up mentality if he’s gonna get over the hump

OK, WTH is going on over at GT? It takes a lot for me to feel "almost" sorry for them, but they are approaching that level of pitiful after the July 4th video and now this atrocity...

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

OK, WTH is going on over at GT? It takes a lot for me to feel "almost" sorry for them, but they are approaching that level of pitiful after the July 4th video and now this atrocity...

They certainly are building a "culture"... :lol: Extreme Exaggerated Passion... 

Well this is, interesting.  UGA related because it's talking about one of our opponents. Not sure I'm buying it, but we'll see. 

9. Can Jarrett Guarantano get some help?

ESPN's David Hale recently named Tennessee's Guarantano as maybe the leading candidate for 2019 breakout player of the year. To back up his case, he compared Guarantano's numbers to that of Oregon's Justin Herbert, one of the established darlings for this coming season.

Who had the better season?

Player A: 59.4% completions, 7.8 yards per pass, 3.4-1 TD-to-INT ratio, 35% conversions on third-down throws

Player B: 62.2% completions, 7.8 yards per pass, 4-1 TD-to-INT ratio, 41% conversions on third-down throws

Pretty close, but you'd probably give the nod to Player B, right? Well, once again, that's Guarantano. The other player is Herbert, widely considered one of the top QB prospects in college football.

If you're still unconvinced, maybe this will sway you?

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2019%2F0723%2Fr573969_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570&format=jpg

Guarantano pulled off Herbert-esque numbers despite living life with one of the worst run games imaginable.

Not even including sacks, 32.6% of Tennessee's rushes were stuffed at or behind the line, worst in FBS. Only 41% of the carries gained at least 4 yards (119th). The Vols ran the ball constantly (and predictably) on early downs -- their run rate was 64% on standard downs, nearly 5 percentage points higher than the national average -- and all it produced were lots of second-and-11s and heavy pass rushes when Guarantano was looking to make up ground.

When he had time to pass, though, he did well. His passer rating was 152.0 on second downs and 150.4 on third downs with between 4 and 9 yards to go.

New offensive coordinator Jim Chaney is one of the better coaches in America when it comes to crafting a system around the standout talent he has at his disposal. Sometimes that means a run-heavy approach, and sometimes it means a lot of passing. With Guarantano and almost his entire receiving corps back (including a **** of a wideout trio in Marquez Callaway, Jauan Jennings and Josh Palmer), I'm guessing Chaney leans toward the latter.

@RandomFan I feel like since it's from ESPN, I can't take it seriously! Especially after they had didn't rank Georgia in the top 10 for RBU

95Dawg likes this

Just read on 247 that tos was reporting that Cox had been dismissed from the team.  Anyone know if that is accurate?  Could be what Lanning was talking about when asked what the expectation of Cox was.

Posted (edited)

Cox is in the transfer portal.

*** He has the option of removing his name from the portal but persons with knowledge of the situation tell Dawgs247 that Cox and UGA agreed to mutually part ways Sunday evening. As we reported earlier, none of this is etched in stone just yet and parties could have a change of heart.

Edited by Turkeydawg

Wow. Big news. I haven't read anywhere what the reasoning is. This may not be so, but wasn't Cox one of the problems after the LSU game? Or no? Not trying to pile on.

8 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Wow. Big news. I haven't read anywhere what the reasoning is.

Yeah, I haven't see the reason mentioned either.

Man, that "legendary" 2018 class just continues to fall apart

So much for Fields as a recruiting tool

6 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Man, that "legendary" 2018 class just continues to fall apart

So much for Fields as a recruiting tool

And so much for those who wore #1 in that class.

Porter Osborne Jr likes this