Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SacFalcFan

UGA-Georgia-Related-News

396 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2019 at 0:10 AM, Carter said:

Nothing concrete has been reported by the Rivals guys, but it really sounds like Mathis is gone.

Explains the coaches priority for a 2nd QB in this class.

Just seen reported on Twitter by Mark Weiszer (not sure how legit this guy is) that Mathis is taking scout team reps. Isnt cleared yet but Smart is hopeful he will be soon. Like I said I have no familiarity with this guy but hopefully it bears some truth?

14 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Just seen reported on Twitter by Mark Weiszer (not sure how legit this guy is) that Mathis is taking scout team reps. Isnt cleared yet but Smart is hopeful he will be soon. Like I said I have no familiarity with this guy but hopefully it bears some truth?

Yeah it is being reported that he is still working with the team and trying to get cleared. Weird situation with lack of good info. I hope he stays and it works out with him to get cleared to play, I do really like his potential.

Turkeydawg and 95Dawg like this

If Fromm is gone after this year we really need Mathis with a year in the system.  

2020 - A grad transfer QB or some form of Bennett/Mathis.

I'm not sure Beck will be ready that quick.  After this season he's having he may be a little shell shock with having no OL worth anything and running for his life.  He may need a season to chill out and learn the system too.

So apparently Andrew Thomas has already decided he's going pro. Not that that is a shocker, but it is unusual to see this, this early. 

9 minutes ago, sdogg said:

So apparently Andrew Thomas has already decided he's going pro. Not that that is a shocker, but it is unusual to see this, this early. 

I saw it discussed as a reason for Fromm to leave early, being the departures of Thomas, Wilson, Swift and Herrien.  Time will tell.

6 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I saw it discussed as a reason for Fromm to leave early, being the departures of Thomas, Wilson, Swift and Herrien.  Time will tell.

Now I worry the team just packs it in. Heck, they may have already done so and we witnessed it vs SC. 

5 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Now I worry the team just packs it in. Heck, they may have already done so and we witnessed it vs SC. 

They haven’t and they won’t.  It was a crappy game no doubt, but it happens.

Porter Osborne Jr and sdogg like this

Good to hear Mathis may be ready soon, but I also question what comes out of 247 or Kirby- I’ve been seeing these great articles all season about wanting to open up, and get playmakers the ball, get Pickens the ball more, just seems like stuff maybe 247 wants to see or Kirby just says but nothing to show that any of its true- except Pickens did get a good many catches against sc

sdogg likes this

10 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Good to hear Mathis may be ready soon, but I also question what comes out of 247 or Kirby- I’ve been seeing these great articles all season about wanting to open up, and get playmakers the ball, get Pickens the ball more, just seems like stuff maybe 247 wants to see or Kirby just says but nothing to show that any of its true- except Pickens did get a good many catches against sc

Yeah, I’m still waiting on the havoc plays on D to come. 

On 10/16/2019 at 8:17 AM, Turkeydawg said:

Had no idea Herrien was a senior. Feels like he just got there. 

Sounds like we will be seeing a bunch more of Kearis.  Kirby seems to love the way he works.  This was from a Dawgnation article this morning:

One of the key players Georgia got back healthy was redshirt freshman receiver Kearis Jackson, who has provided a spark for the offense.

“That kid plays with passion and energy, (and) he doesn’t care if he gets the credit,” Smart said. “He’s a winner. He fights his butt off. He took a tough injury (broken hand at Vanderbilt) and came back, and he’s more excited about his block than catching the ball and doing anything with it.

“That, to me, is what winning programs have. It’s what winners do. It’s the kind of guys that I want on my team. I want guys lined up all over that are like that.”

Carter and 95Dawg like this

Tuesday practice report from 6 whole minutes of media viewing time...

Good afternoon all.
Dawgs were back on the practice field for the first time since Saturday's win over Kentucky.
Here's what we saw:

...Regarding Injuries: Still no sign of defensive end Travon Walker (wrist) or wide receiver Lawrence Cager (shoulder, ribs). Keep hearing that Walker is expected back anytime. That could still be true, but we haven't seen him yet. Still hearing Cager may still be out three more weeks, although Kirby Smart keeps saying "day-to-day."
Left guard Justin Shaffer (neck) also remains out and no timetable has been given for his return.

...One interesting note, it seems the Bulldogs are already starting scout team in work in preparation for Friday. Typically during bye weeks, it's all fundamentals the week before the bye. That's not altogether the case, apparently, this week as several players wore jersey numbers coinciding with those worn by key Gator personnel.

...Cornerback Tyson Campbell, who dressed out for the Kentucky game but did not play, was practicing today, from the looks of it at 100 percent.

...To answer a question on the Vent regarding Julian Rochester, he is at practice and going through drills as if nothing is wrong. Rochester has not played the past two games and is still in line for a redshirt (he can play in a minimum of four games) if that's the route Smart ultimately wants to go.

...A bit of news on the offensive line: It appears Solomon Kindley - who entered last Saturday's game in the second half, is back as the full-time starter at left guard. Trey Hill remains the center and Ben Cleveland at right guard.
The second team line had a different look today: LTXavier Truss, RG D'Marcus Hayes, C Warren Ericson, RG Cade Mays, RT Jamaree Salyer.

From Patrick Garbin…

…Observing the offense first, I spotted a rarity for an outside practice—the running backs repping in full view. Usually, when the media observes, the running backs are drilling in the back-left corner and hardly viewable. With coaches Dell McGee and James Coleyoverlooking, the quarterbacks took a snap under center (Trey Hill, when I noticed), and then threw to a running back coming out of the backfield. Not that it means anything, but I can’t recall the last time I saw this particular drill.

[IMG]

…For the latter part of our viewable period, Period 2, the tight ends replaced the running backs in the aforementioned drill, and a staffer replaced the center. Each tight end raced several steps before cutting over near the sideline, where he was thrown to. The three tight ends in the drill repped in the order of Charlie WoernerEli Wolf, and John FitzPatrick. At one point, Coley stopped the drill and stressed to the tight ends that they needed to go out exactly “12 yards” before making their break. Evidently, one or more in the unit was breaking too soon.

…During the aforementioned drill, Coley hollered in satisfaction of Wolf’s “nice route” and his “great balance,” before the graduate transfer dropped a pass from Stetson Bennett, which hit him right in the hands. Just for the heck of it, I just looked it up and of all of Georgia’s pass attempts this season, the tight endshave been targeted 12 percent of the time. This follows the Bulldogs’ tight ends being targeted 14.3 percent of the time in 2018 after 13.3 percent in 2017.

…I noticed a few players wearing scout-team jerseys, including a No. 8 for Florida’s 6-foot-5 receiver Trevon Grimes. Notably, Grimes is one of six different Florida receivers—and this excludes its leading receiver, tight end Kyle Pitts—who have totaled at least 180 yards receiving this season.

…After missing the practices we viewed last week, linebacker Nate McBride was back out practicing this afternoon. The junior linebacker was in on four plays against Kentucky—all on punt-return team.

Really was a great time for the bye. Gives two more weeks for Kearis, Campbell, Robertson, Davis, Walker, Kindley, Shaffer, who are on the cusp of being full strength.

Would feel much much better if Cager would be ready. He's should probably be doubtful at best by Nov. 2nd. Going to be tough relying on 3 fr. on that receiving corps until he gets back right. 

Edited by Prison Mikey
blkbigdog35, 95Dawg and sdogg like this

4 minutes ago, Prison Mikey said:

Really was a great time for the bye. Gives two more weeks for Kearis, Campbell, Robertson, Davis, Walker, Kindley, Shaffer, who are on the cusp of being full strength.

Would feel much much better if Cager would be ready. He's should probably be doubtful at best by Nov. 2nd. Going to be tough relying on 3 fr. on that receiving corps until he gets back right. 

Very true.  We really need a healthy Campbell, Walker, Davis, Robertson and Kindley.  I think Kearis will be close to 100% by next game, but not sure about Shaffer.  That turf toe that TC is dealing with is bothersome.  Those things tend to linger, much like hammy issues.

Pretty good article laying out the numbers for our offense, comparing it to last year under Chaney and Coley’s previous stop at Miami. It also gives some reference points for how our numbers compare to other top teams this season.

I don’t know if it’s behind the paywall. It has some charts that I don’t think will format well if I copy and paste here. 

https://uga.rivals.com/news/what-s-really-happening-on-offense

sdogg likes this